Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi any teacher here? can u use the LDS to buy lens?

Default Re: Hi any teacher here? can u use the LDS to buy lens?

Right boss.

*Now back to our regular transmissions*

Quote Originally Posted by tweakmax
    As above. Any teacher here have successfully claimed their expenses for their lenses thru Pac@Gov for the Learning Development Scheme (grow package)?

Pls reply as I want to buy new lenses soon.
    Yes. Provided ur $400 can get u a lens.

Blog Entries

yes sir, sorry about that
    coudn't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Right boss.

50mm lens and the kit lens!

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Right boss.

the $400 must be used to pay fully for the lens? or can it be used to pay part of the lens?

eg: using it to pay for a $600 lens. so you pay only $200?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    the $400 must be used to pay fully for the lens? or can it be used to pay part of the lens?

eg: using it to pay for a $600 lens. so you pay only $200?
    cannot buy multiple items in single receipt?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

this $400 incentive...got any limit or not? issit everytime u shop for gadgets u can use tis $400 over n over again...like within 1 day i can get a laptop wif $400 off...then later i get another mp3 player wif $400 off again...i can imagine my life like this...
    Sony A700 - Sony A6300

before you guys cry foul, many companies (especially gov-linked) companies have such schemes too. =)

Just to clarify.

This money is a once a year deal.
    It can be used to subsidise purchases like PDA or laptops because those are a little easier to justify because they can be work-related.

It's better to use it all at one go because then you would just make 1 claim instead of many claims to fill up the $400 or $700 you got.

The easiest way to know if something qualifies for the package is to ask the person in charge of approving the claim. might be HOD IT or your AM. If you can justify it to them then probably it will be approved
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by radedward View Post
    Just to clarify.

This money is a once a year deal.
    It can be used to subsidise purchases like PDA or laptops because those are a little easier to justify because they can be work-related.

It's better to use it all at one go because then you would just make 1 claim instead of many claims to fill up the $400 or $700 you got.

The easiest way to know if something qualifies for the package is to ask the person in charge of approving the claim. might be HOD IT or your AM. If you can justify it to them then probably it will be approved
    take and buy high end graphics card... reason, every night communicate with students on mmorpg... hahaha...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    And I think it's perfectly fair for teachers to get such incentives because nowadays being one isn't easy, so they really earn their keep. There's no need to envy, anyone is welcome to join the service. MOE is constantly looking for people.
    I don't. Recently there has been an influx of new teachers who joined because teaching offers some financial security and because it isn't a hard job to secure. This is NOT the right reason to teach IMO, and if you become a teacher for the financial benefits you won't make a good teacher. A good teacher is someone who joins because he likes to teach, and to help others learn, not because the job has financial incentives.

EDIT: Well, obviously I've met motivated teachers who can't teach, but very rarely have I met unmotivated teachers who have reduced teaching to such a precise science that they can teach well without wanting to.
    Last edited by jmmtn4aj; 16th May 2007 at 09:28 PM.

bought a f31 with e money... only pay 99 bucks... some other frenes bought digi cams, pda phones n other IT gadgets. haven heard of buying lens lei..

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    I don't. Recently there has been an influx of new teachers who joined because teaching offers some financial security and because it isn't a hard job to secure. This is NOT the right reason to teach IMO, and if you become a teacher for the financial benefits you won't make a good teacher. A good teacher is someone who joins because he likes to teach, and to help others learn, not because the job has financial incentives.

EDIT: Well, obviously I've met motivated teachers who can't teach, but very rarely have I met unmotivated teachers who have reduced teaching to such a precise science that they can teach well without wanting to.
    I definitely agree with your view that Teaching cannot be reduced to skills alone... The Heart has to be at the right place...

It probably is a draw for those seeking short-term monetary gains to join teaching (though I don't feel good about it at all)... BUT, the nature of the profession demands a lot more than such reasons to teach... Such are the kind of people who will fall out the ranks as they'll soon realise the monetary gains don't match with the demands on them... And I'm thankful for that...

There'll also be the implication that the few batches of students who pass through their hands will be short-changed... But on the whole, there are some checks and balances in the system that'll do some sort of damage control...

Just couldn't help but chip in my 2 cents in this discussion
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

Generally, you can use the LDS for magazine subscriptions, subsidise for courses (not sure exactly what are the restrictions), cameras, computers and PDA/PDA-Phones.

Mobile phones are NOT included in the list, but there was one loophole that one of my colleagues exploited.

Sony Ericsson K800i mobile phone - Not approved.
    Sony Ericsson K800i Cybershot camera - Approved!

You can also make overseas purchases, as long as you got receipt and provide them currency conversion rate at the time of claim.

I am sure lens can. Anyway, nowsaday school AV Club very advanced. Equipped with DSLRs, and broadcast-quality videocams!

i dont think you can use it to buy lens. my teacher fren wanted to get a MP3 player w recording facility to record oral/listening tests also cannot be approved.

Quote Originally Posted by hana20momo View Post
    bought a f31 with e money... only pay 99 bucks... some other frenes bought digi cams, pda phones n other IT gadgets. haven heard of buying lens lei..
    So your are able to claim for your camera? I have heard of people using it to buy memory cards, PDAs, etc. It would be strange why the money cant be used to claim for lens, technically they are still camera parts too?

yeah... got e money back within a week. think hafta go thru loopholes ba. cos e claiming system hafta specify e category frm e pdf document (eg: camera, books n etc) n dun b surprised, we have ppl succeed claiming mp3 player (n typed "mp3 player" in e claim)

hi

juz like to point this out. the LDS ($400/$700) is actually part of the teachers' pay rise. so rightfully, the money is still our pay.

yes, i bought the 70-200 f4IS. i paid the full amt, then claim $400.

I know of people who bought PSP and got it approved! The lens is part of of a digital camera... so I guess you can! I got myself a pda phone using all my $700(yalah old teacher... 25 years of service! Wonder how I survived!). Now trying to get my OC to let me use her $700...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12