Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

  1. #41
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Just thought it'd be good to update here for those looking for lightweight tripods. I just got the following combo at CP :

    Gitzo GT0530 - 0.72Kg
    Mamiya Ball Head - 0.16kg
    Total - 0.88kg, Max load 5kg

    Total damage $680
    that is even lighter for my lightest setup of gitzo GT1058 + markins Q3.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    i dun understand your post. so do you use a wooden tripod that costs less than S$34 and think it is more worthwhile?
    I had one made of rosewood (the same used for quality billard cues) which cost me $38 bucks then. 11 years and counting, it hasn't broke on me. And it can even sit a Seagull. Weight is just slightly heavier than a graphite tripod. Just oil the joints and lacquer when needed.

    If you're interested, Cathay still has a couple of them I guess.

  3. #43
    Member BlueBull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Using the PPCP pro v2, not too heavy to carry around, yet good enough size to be stable. $145 at MS Color now.
    Nikanon D3FXMarkIIIDS-1H with 5000mm f/128 & 0.500mm Macro f/0.4 & 0.70-2000mm f/256

  4. #44
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    I had one made of rosewood (the same used for quality billard cues) which cost me $38 bucks then. 11 years and counting, it hasn't broke on me. And it can even sit a Seagull. Weight is just slightly heavier than a graphite tripod. Just oil the joints and lacquer when needed.

    If you're interested, Cathay still has a couple of them I guess.
    look like we have a valuable good old-timer. if you dun mind, you can write a short write-up on the features, strengths and brands/specifications of wooden tripods, and i will include in the newbie or travel thread in my signature.

    most of us the newbies, have zero experience with wooden tripods (we dun even see them). our impression is that they are heavy and difficult to use, but provide good dampening effect. but well, we got to learn more....

  5. #45

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    look like we have a valuable good old-timer.
    1. Please don't use the world "old". I'm younger than you think.

    2. I don't have time for articles, I recommend you to read up these treasures http://www.riestripod.com/

    3. I had bought mine cheap which was made in China. Cathay should still have them.

    4. Some Pics from a reputable wooden tripod maker:


    Tripod:







    Wooden Monopod

    Last edited by eyes; 26th May 2007 at 04:42 PM.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Heads:






  7. #47
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    1. Please don't use the world "old". I'm younger than you think.
    well, an apology for that if you mind the word old-timer. but anyway thanks for any amount of information you are glad to give.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    $680 = >20 wooden tripods?

    wats with the ? U go around mocking ppl who own something dat cost 20 times more than watever u're using?

    Was scouting around for the lightest possible setup with a reasonable max load and dat setup was the lightest I came across. Its the price I have to pay for wanting something to be slightly lighter.. same goes for lens, some ppl pay alot more for something slightly sharper.. wat to do? that's the way it is in this many other hobbies..

  9. #49

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    that is even lighter for my lightest setup of gitzo GT1058 + markins Q3.
    Dat ballhead's probab 1/3 of the ttl weight rite? the one I got has no quick release, no panning.. just a ball. needed somthing fuss free to minimise weight when going on trekking trips..

  10. #50
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Dat ballhead's probab 1/3 of the ttl weight rite? the one I got has no quick release, no panning.. just a ball. needed somthing fuss free to minimise weight when going on trekking trips..
    ttl? total or through the lens or something else?

    it weighs abt 385g, but exclude the quick release. together should be 400g. it's got 2 knobs, for tightening and for panning.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,777

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    to threadstarter:
    for ur setup of D50 with kit lens or 50mm or 55-200mm VR and SB600, it is really a very light setup that is =< 2kg.

    For this u can just use those normal plastic/aluminium tripod available everywhere. in fact there is the nikon brand tripod that can easily carry ur stuffs. (arnd 1kg+ with head)

    the nikon tripod even has a hook for u to hook ur bag to further stabilize the tripod.

    if going overseas/ travel, even a manfrotto 190prob is an overkill for walking long long long distances.

    i dumped my 190prob at home and used the nikon plastic tripod and it lasted me ultra well throughout my 10 days overseas trip.. D70s + sb800 + D40 kit lens.

    oh and did i mention that my baggage allowance was 20kg and my luggage was 19kg+, if i bring a manfrotto and check in, i will be dead.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    ttl? total or through the lens or something else?

    it weighs abt 385g, but exclude the quick release. together should be 400g. it's got 2 knobs, for tightening and for panning.
    haha.. I meant the ballhead is already 1/3 of the total weight... so u can easily lighten ur setup with a lighter ballhead if u need to..

  13. #53
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    haha.. I meant the ballhead is already 1/3 of the total weight... so u can easily lighten ur setup with a lighter ballhead if u need to..
    but getting a good to use ballhead that is lighter, dun think it is easy. i'm very happy with my markins, moreover it is a korean product.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    wats with the ? U go around mocking ppl who own something dat cost 20 times more than watever u're using?

    Was scouting around for the lightest possible setup with a reasonable max load and dat setup was the lightest I came across. Its the price I have to pay for wanting something to be slightly lighter.. same goes for lens, some ppl pay alot more for something slightly sharper.. wat to do? that's the way it is in this many other hobbies..
    I am just suggesting an alternative. I don't think TS see this as a mockery.

    Price not necessary = performance. A NOS + supercharged Toyota Vios outruns a Mitsubitshi Evolution series in any drag race on any day.

    And for that, which bright (expensive) zoom lenses has beaten a good prime not to mention the average 5x cost.

    Take it easy, it's not my intention to make anyone feeling swindled, but the marketing hype nowadays....

    Peace.
    Last edited by eyes; 26th May 2007 at 07:30 PM.

  15. #55
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    And for that, which bright (expensive) zoom lenses has beaten a good prime not to mention the average 5x cost.
    dun think that is a good example of price/performance matching, comparing zoom to prime. yes, a zoom lens can of cos beat a prime in terms of range of focal length and versatility.

    a zoom should be compared to another zoom with similar range and features.

    of cos, if the wooden tripods you recommended can match the current models with the same ease of use, weight, features, connectibility, and steadiness, at that price, it is definitely worthwhile. even if it doesn't match to the same extent, if it is fairly good, still a good buy. however, the reis tripod you show is at > US$500....
    Last edited by zoossh; 26th May 2007 at 07:57 PM.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    dun think that is a good example of price/performance matching, comparing zoom to prime. yes, a zoom lens can of cos beat a prime in terms of range of focal length and versatility.

    a zoom should be compared to another zoom with similar range and features.

    of cos, if the wooden tripods you recommended can match the current models with the same ease of use, weight, features, connectibility, and steadiness, at that price, it is definitely worthwhile. even if it doesn't match to the same extent, if it is fairly good, still a good buy. however, the reis tripod you show is at > US$500....
    Get the China version.

    Go penisular yourself or search the net. But please avoid buying from online from China for the obvious reasons.
    Last edited by eyes; 26th May 2007 at 09:08 PM.

  17. #57
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Get the China version.
    it's al'rite. i'm fine with my current setup.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    I am just suggesting an alternative. I don't think TS see this as a mockery.
    Ur post that I quoted doesnt seem like u're suggesting an alternative at all.. n who says u're mockering the TS?
    of cos price doesnt always equates to performance but quality product generally do costs more..

  19. #59

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Ur post that I quoted doesnt seem like u're suggesting an alternative at all.. n who says u're mockering the TS?
    of cos price doesnt always equates to performance but quality product generally do costs more..
    I stongly recommend you to read on KRW's finest dissertion on photography found at http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

    Hope this helps.


  20. #60
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Travel Tripod... Recommend me...

    Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    I stongly recommend you to read on KRW's finest dissertion on photography found at http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

    Hope this helps.

    perhaps you are right on your understanding of the equipment, but the tone you phrased it in is important. i hope you will understand what i mean without me getting too explicit.

    anyway the ultimate aim is to have an amiable forum where people can participate and learn from people who are willing to share.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •