Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast

Thread: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Default Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Oh that's smart, teaching respect through forced submission. I hope you aren't a parent.

EDIT: Lest that last bit be taken as an insult.. it was sincere in that I believe that method of gaining respect is absolutely stupid and ineffective. Fear and loathing is what punishment in place of understanding will do.
    I would like to ask: do you mean that punishment and explain to them what is wrong will gain kids respect??

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Ok lah, it depends what rocks your boat. You spare the rod, you spoil the child also. Needs some balance in the upbringing, you can't pamper and shelter your own kid all the time, it's bad upbringing. Tough times bring the goodness out of people, most of the time that works.
    So you telling me you never been caned before by your parents?
    Of course. But punishment all to often is a result of 'we can't understand them so lets just hit them' attitude. Punishment WORKS don't get me wrong, but only in certain situations and [b]as a last resort[/i]. Our society has become one that advocates the use of punishment before even thinking about alternative means, and that sucks.

I have been caned before. Multiple times. I think I even have a scar on my nose from when the cane accidentally connected with my face. Guess what? I spent the next few years hating the hell out of my parents before I was smart enough to understand why they would do such things. Yep, I understood them before they understood me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    I would like to ask: do you mean that punishment and explain to them what is wrong will gain kids respect??
    No. Respect is gained not by your actions but by your intentions. If you talk to him because 'that's what they say is the right thing to do', you won't gain his respect. But talk to him because you genuinely want to get him, and you will.

There is no quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    And yes, I'm programmed to sow my seeds...so it is ok for me to go around attempting to copulate with all the females I fancy?
    Isn't this what guys do 24/7 anyway?

But of course! Help Singapore hit it's population target!

Now all we need is willing females...

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Maybe the bus captain shld ask for red carpet, and be served tea with a bowed head and both hands?
    eh, u guys think that the court is a place for matrimony issit?

Go there to

一拜老爷
    二拜车长
    三拜祖宗十八代
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Of course. But punishment all to often is a result of 'we can't understand them so lets just hit them' attitude. Punishment WORKS don't get me wrong, but only in certain situations and [b]as a last resort[/i]. Our society has become one that advocates the use of punishment before even thinking about alternative means, and that sucks.

I have been caned before. Multiple times. I think I even have a scar on my nose from when the cane accidentally connected with my face. Guess what? I spent the next few years hating the hell out of my parents before I was smart enough to understand why they would do such things. Yep, I understood them before they understood me.
    yes i know....but my initial notion of punishment is not repeated punishment which is dealth out often, and i understand if the parent keep dishing out corporal punishment often for little reason, that would raise a sense of resentment in the child. Im one example.

So what im trying to say, yes, dish out corporal punishment when it deemed fit, not all the time for little issues. And i think for the youngster to punch an elderly, he deserves some corporal punishment. All the excuse of "sorry i was not in the right mind" doesn't work here. You cant just say sorry and get away with it all the time.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

I think the world now is opposite leh... kids nowadays dun get punishment... instead, they are treated like kings and queens.... if teachers cane or scold them, the parents scold the teachers or complaints to school.....

They should cane him or jail him, and be done with it. Move on and not dwell on the same matter. Young kids nowadays no respect for elders, teach him a lesson, he needs to learn how to be humble and respectful.

I hope his father would dish out his own old skool disciplinary stuff. If i am the father, i would be ashamed to have a son who behave this way.
    My personal thought?

Ministry of Home Affairs shld pass this legislation:
    - The definition of a 'minor' shld be anyone under the age of 12yrs old.

EDIT: - Definition of Juvenile crimes are from 6yrs old to 15yrs old

- Anyone who's 16yrs and above shld be liable for their actions and be punished in accordance with the full brunt of criminal penal and civil code of law if they are found to break any law. Including offences that require rotan, life imprisonment and capital punishment.

- Reformative Training Centre, Boys Town and Girls Town to be dissolved and merged into a single entity called "Changi Youth and Reformative Prison" located next to Changi Maximum Security Prison

- Voting age to be maintained at 21yrs old.

- All classes of vehicle license can only be taken by ppl above 21yrs old as of 1st Jan [insert year]
    Last edited by jsbn; 15th May 2007 at 10:47 AM.

I think the world now is opposite leh... kids nowadays dun get punishment... instead, they are treated like kings and queens.... if teachers cane or scold them, the parents scold the teachers or complaints to school.....
    oh this problem, i find it disturbing as well. I have friends in sch who kena bullied by students behaving like gangsters.
    One-North Explorers

Talking Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

1) Wondering if this Hwa Chong kid is a member of Clubsnap? If yes, wats his nick?
    2) Wondering if this Hwa Chong kid can be a catfighting champion representing Singapore?

My personal thought?

Ministry of Home Affairs shld pass this legislation:
    - The definition of a 'minor' shld be anyone under the age of 12yrs old.

EDIT: - Definition of Juvenile crimes are from 6yrs old to 15yrs old

- Anyone who's 16yrs and above shld be liable for their actions and be punished in accordance with the full brunt of criminal penal and civil code of law if they are found to break any law. Including offences that require rotan, life imprisonment and capital punishment.

- Reformative Training Centre, Boys Town and Girls Town to be dissolved and merged into a single entity called "Changi Youth and Reformative Prison" located next to Changi Maximum Security Prison

- Voting age to be maintained at 21yrs old.

- All classes of vehicle license can only be taken by ppl above 21yrs old as of 1st Jan [insert year]
    U sounded like the one who started the BR Act...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

yes i know....but my initial notion of punishment is not repeated punishment which is dealth out often, and i understand if the parent keep dishing out corporal punishment often for little reason, that would raise a sense of resentment in the child. Im one example.

So what im trying to say, yes, dish out corporal punishment when it deemed fit, not all the time for little issues. And i think for the youngster to punch an elderly, he deserves some corporal punishment. All the excuse of "sorry i was not in the right mind" doesn't work here. You cant just say sorry and get away with it all the time.
    Haha, don't get me wrong guys, I never said let the guy go for what he did. Apologies if I gave this notion. My arguments were mainly against those people who blindly promoted corporal punishment without even thinking why. I think the guy should be punished just to remind others that they can't get away with it. Setting an example, if nothing else. In a world where the only people living on it were everyone involved in that situation, he should probably go unpunished because it could have been a moment of one-off stupidity (he would of course be told that should he do it again, there will be severe consequences). But this world isn't one just populated by those people, and examples unfortunately have to be made.

Balances have to be found. I think parents who become servants to their kids are just plain sad, but so are children who become servants to their parents.

All the excuse of "sorry i was not in the right mind" doesn't work here. You cant just say sorry and get away with it all the time.
    As our SM Goh once said "Sorry too late liao, you punch me until Or Bak Kak already then you say sorry?"

There is no quick fix.
    would like to clarify before the whole thing becomes like flame fest when more jump onto the bandwagon...lol

yah im no thread troll, im open to your views, and i hope you are to mine.

Cheers!
    One-North Explorers

oh this problem, i find it disturbing as well. I have friends in sch who kena bullied by students behaving like gangsters.
    Pull a GTO on them.

If kids want to behave like gangsters, den show them who's the bigger gangster and make sure they can tahan what they attempt to be.... a gangster.

would like to clarify before the whole thing becomes like flame fest when more jump onto the bandwagon...lol

yah im no thread troll, im open to your views, and i hope you are to mine.

Cheers!
    Haha, actually I feel like the thread troll here

Balances have to be found. I think parents who become servants to their kids are just plain sad, but so are children who become servants to their parents.
    this i agree with you.

i frown on rude kids.
    and i frown on teachers who bully kids.
    A balance should be found whenever possible, but that's hard. If only more kids/parents/teachers were sensible in today's society.

Pull a GTO on them.

If kids want to behave like gangsters, den show them who's the bigger gangster and make sure they can tahan what they attempt to be.... a gangster.
    my friend are females....unless they jojo sinclair lookalikes....i think hard for them to retort those gangster wannabes....
    Last edited by sbs99; 15th May 2007 at 10:55 AM.
    One-North Explorers

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    U sounded like the one who started the BR Act...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale
    Hey, I actually liked dat show!

But DVD all kena ban here. Argh~~~~~ Next trip go Japan probably go and find the 2 DVDs and bring it in.

The drug industry in South America routinely practices what you mentioned here. The result always involves a big number followed by a 'dead'

Talking Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    As our SM Goh once said "Sorry too late liao, you punch me until Or Bak Kak already then you say sorry?"
    Thats a very nice quote from our very own wise SM Goh!!!

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast