Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12172021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Default Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Wow, that was a scary leap in logic;

I would be fair and objective and take everything I read with a pinch of salt, especially when the story appears to favour one party more than another, and objectiveness is lost.

An example of what I'm saying:......
    I agree with you that the local media can be bias, and that eyewitness accounts can differ as well especially in very fluid situations.

However, this incident is very simple and not all that complicated.

What possible reason could there be for him to justify punching the driver, and then going back again to slap him after being held back by other passengers?

I do not see any conspiracy here.

The simple crux of the matter is that people are generally dissatisfied with how the matter is being handled by HC, as well as the apparent lack of remorse on the student's part.
    Last edited by Hobbesyeo; 17th May 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    The subsequent cowardly explanation: http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfr...130302,00.html
    an accident

wah, what an explaination, imagine the man who kill and chop up the china lady
    said it was an accident

I leave you with this question - would you, as a judge, convict the boy based on all these statements? Without any room for investigation whether his claims were true, thereby providing a plausible explanation for his actions, which would not be then so severe since he was provoked?

If you would not, then it would be rather hypocritical to judge him in your own minds now, based on these very 2 reports, would it?
    As far as my understanding of how the courts operate, of course there would be an investigation if this was deemed a criminal matter. A judge would then look at the investigating officer's report, which would contain sworn statements from the student, driver and other passengers who were there.

So, the judge could potentially convict or throw out those charges based on his weighing of the statements only. I really doubt that a CSI style of investigation would be carried out for this sort of case.

It would be interesting to hear your interpretation or plausible explaination for the student's action.
    Last edited by Hobbesyeo; 17th May 2007 at 09:55 AM.

I don't know about you, but if what the student said is true, then if I were in his shoes, I'd have waited for the bus inspector to arrive, proven that the card was indeed the girlfriend's, and thoroughly rub it into the bus driver's face by making a thorough complaint about his high-handedness and conduct. I have encountered errant taxi drivers before, and I did not hesitate to make sure that their actions went unnoticed. Call it petty or by any other name, but I view it as demanding the consumer's right where it is warranted.

It is very easy to overlook certain things - but sometimes problems go unnoticed. What if 2 weeks later another student makes the very same complaint, that the bus driver is harassing him and his friends for no particular reason, etc? Then would this very student be a hero then? Think about it.
    if what the student said is true...

1). it is indeed an accident and his hands slipped out of control and whacked the bus-driver, not once, not twice, not thrice but many many times. most prob he has some muscular problems and he actually can't control them.

i think he might be possessed by sugar ray lewis.

2). everyone is lying less the student. the report is inaccurate becos only the student is telling the truth and nothing but the whole truth. so the rest, the bus driver, the rest of the passengers are all liars and they will be haul up to court soon becos they gave false testimony and perverse the course of justice. yes, the student is speaking the whole truth.

3). if it happens to u, yes, u chose the right option by waiting for the inspector to arrive on the scene and clear the doubt. congratulations!

4). in the event of 2 weeks later and if another student actually do assault yet another unfortunate bus driver and oh shucks, everyone else is lying except the student as it is purely an accident and his hands slipped out of control... ...

then there's something seriously wrong with youths of today, their upbringing and their mentality.

of cos there're always 2 side to a story but the funny thing is, one side of the story has so many alibi and testimonies whereas the other side... ....

yes nightmare86, u've ur own unique point of view and i'm sure others do respect ur view. likewise for me.

'nuff said.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

'As the driver was about to keep it, I snatched the card back as I recalled a newspaper article warning us against giving our identification without reasons.'
    AFAIK, the person's particulars are not shown on the EZlink card, at least not on mine. Furthermore, it states v clearly at the back of the EZlink card "this card shall be retained if it has been tampered with, misused, replaced or refunded."

He then grabbed my right arm, and I struggled to break free. As we struggled, I tore his breast pocket. In an attempt to break loose I flailed my arms around and accidentally hit him on his face,' he claimed.
    this is inconsistent with eyewitnesses who saw no "flailing of arms", but a clear punch to the face of the BD. furthermore, the boy conveniently omits his subsequent (deliberate) slapping of the BD after the BD had sat down in his driver's seat.

in all, a pathetic excuse for inexcusable behaviour.
    Last edited by zaren; 17th May 2007 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Question... are you a dad? it's difficult to understand and also difficult to explain.

../azul123
    No excuse. So what if one is or not a dad?
    It is wrong for the father to apologise on behalf of his son's wrongdoings.
    Like what someone had said earlier, parents these days go overboard just to protect their kids. That's why some kids are simply spoilt-brats who think they rule the world.

The father should have asked the son to kneel and beg forgiveness in front of the victim and should also admonish him publicly there and then.

Wrong upbringing, if you ask me......phui!
    "ashes to ashes; funk to funky..we know major_tom's a junkie
    strung out on heaven's high....."

Quote Originally Posted by major_tom View Post
    Like what someone had said earlier, parents these days go overboard just to protect their kids. That's why some kids are simply spoilt-brats who think they rule the world.

The father should have asked the son to kneel and beg forgiveness in front of the victim and should also admonish him publicly there and then.

i agree wholly and beer belly fully.

smack the student up!!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

I think the public at large is not very happy (or very not happy) about the so called "elites". The perceived injustice of "elites" getting off scot-free with the peanuts comments, the JC girl's comments about another blogger, the 25% pay raise, etc...

These IMHO, is causing the public to react and judge what they perceive to be "elites" committing offences more quickly and harshly.
    Just me...

I agree with you that the local media can be bias, and that eyewitness accounts can differ as well especially in very fluid situations.

However, this incident is very simple and not all that complicated.

What possible reason could there be for him to justify punching the driver, and then going back again to slap him after being held back by other passengers?

I do not see any conspiracy here.

The simple crux of the matter is that people are generally dissatisfied with how the matter is being handled by HC, as well as the apparent lack of remorse on the student's part.
    Gah, like I say, no one really gets my point, even when I say that the student is WRONG for punching.

Screw the accidental flailing of arms; what I'm saying, in short, is that there should also be at least some focus on whether the driver had any wrongdoing. There.

Justify or not, what I'm talking about is not just about the student.
    Violence is wrong in this society, it has no place in civilised life, that much is true.
    That much I concur with you.

But if the bus driver is going out of his way to provoke students with a certain amount of high-handedness, as what is suggested by the student's account - don't you think something should be done?
    Of course, in this very specific situation you've outlined, yes, action must be taken to correct the driver's attitude. The question is what sort of action? Resorting to violence or perhaps the high tech way of recording a video of the driver and reporting to the appropriate authorities?

Just because he has been punched doesn't mean diddly squat to me, if he did what the student claim he did. Once again, the punching is another thing altogether.
    I fail to understand your point here. How does what the driver did in any way negate or justify the student's action?

It is very easy to overlook certain things - but sometimes problems go unnoticed. What if 2 weeks later another student makes the very same complaint, that the bus driver is harassing him and his friends for no particular reason, etc? Then would this very student be a hero then? Think about it.
    Even if the situation you've outlined happens, how can you say that this HC student is a hero?
    Last edited by Hobbesyeo; 17th May 2007 at 10:10 AM.

As far as my understanding of how the courts operate, of course there would be an investigation if this was deemed a criminal matter. A judge would then look at the investigating officer's report, which would contain sworn statements from the student, driver and other passengers who were there.

So, the judge could potentially convict or throw out those charges based on his weighing of the statements only. I really doubt that a CSI style of investigation would be carried out for this sort of case.

It would be interesting to hear your interpretation or plausible explaination for the student's action.
    You don't get my point here either.

But anyways, thanks for replying. You see, you have just proven my point. You would NOT just pass judgement if you were the judge, based on these 2 newspaper reports. They are insufficient to you in the scenario of you being a judge. Because this time, your judgement bears much larger consequences instead of just expression of your opinion in an internet forum.

And that is my point. It is easy to judge, but to judge objectively?

There need not be any explanation. I have stated time and time again that I do not agree with his actions, and shown how I would have reacted in such a situation. I'm just stating some things that have not been stated here - e.g. what about the driver's actions - do they warrant any review? And also, judgement on the student - why is it made, how is it made so easily?

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    AFAIK, the person's particulars are not shown on the EZlink card, at least not on mine. Furthermore, it states v clearly at the back of the EZlink card "this card shall be retained if it has been tampered with, misused, replaced or refunded."
    There are personalised EZ link cards, which are incidentally, usable to borrow library books, and at LAN shops when the shop assistant is a noob.

Basically, most cards with concessions - i.e. students, the one I got when I was serving NS.. Have the owner's photo, IC number, etc.. Even a barcode on it. =)

Of course, in this very specific situation you've outlined, yes, action must be taken to correct the driver's attitude. The question is what sort of action? Resorting to violence or perhaps the high tech way of recording a video of the driver and reporting to the appropriate authorities?
    The issue at hand here, is not what action to take.

But whether there was any wrongdoing on the part of the driver in the first place. If there was indeed some form of provocation.. If the student is punished.. Don't you think that there is also wrong on the part of the driver to provoke him?

Definitely, the law does not include room for any punishment of the driver for provoking the student - if I make funny faces at a gangster, and thoroughly ask for it, and get beaten up.. Nothing happens to me. But the gangster goes to jail lor. That doesn't change the fact that I asked for it though.

Now - that is a personal matter. The bus driver is an employee and therefore, a representative of his company. Would the company want to keep any employee who provokes passengers unnecessarily? Would you want to keep a salesgirl who picks quarrels with someone in your handbag shop? =)
    I fail to understand your point here. How does what the driver did in any way negate or justify the student's action?

Even if the situation you've outlined happens, how can you say that this HC student is a hero?
    Don't misunderstand me, please. I never said that the driver's actions negated or justify the punching.

Neither did I say he would be a hero. But definitely there will be less criticism of him if a similar incident happens, between another student and another driver. Don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by major_tom View Post

Of course there is no excuse for what the kid had done... none whatsoever. My point is how much compassion one gives weight to this situation is clouded by experience and complexities of parenthood. When I read that the dad kneel done and beg for his son... the mental image running thru my mind shows me how difficult this situation must have been for the father.

Anyway, how someone brings up their child is their business, but nonetheless a sad situation for any father to be in.

And I would not like to wish that to happen to any father.

../azul123

Huh.

Ok, so next time if someone beats you up, you will just sit there and get beaten to death. And in paradise you can tell whoever you meet that you are a true (but dead) man.
    I'm not trained to return attacks, but on evasion. Neither am I taught to sit there and get beaten, that's not mandated in any of my training so far.

And of cos, if the person persistently pushes without knowing how and when to stop... He'll be lying on the ground with a broken wrist. That's the furthest I'll go.

Of cos, this is a reply to ur reply. Not exactly addressing the incident per se.

*Now back to our regular transmissions*
    Last edited by jsbn; 17th May 2007 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnapSnap View Post
    I think the public at large is not very happy (or very not happy) about the so called "elites". The perceived injustice of "elites" getting off scot-free with the peanuts comments, the JC girl's comments about another blogger, the 25% pay raise, etc...

These IMHO, is causing the public to react and judge what they perceive to be "elites" committing offences more quickly and harshly.
    The public is not happy about those so called "elites" is because being "elites" they still act, speak and behave so stupidly guess they never use their "elites" brains to think before they do things! Maybe study too much liao until their "elites" brains cannot take it??? Or too stressed up of getting a "elite" job in the future?
    Last edited by XXX Boy; 17th May 2007 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    i agree wholly and beer belly fully.

smack the student up!!!
    wanna make appointment to smack the student?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy View Post
    The public is not happy about those so called "elites" is because being "elites" they still act, speak and behave so stupidly guess they never use their "elites" brains to think before they do things! Maybe study too much liao until their "elites" brains cannot take it??? Or too stressed up of getting a "elite" job in the future?
    well... u gain some u lose some, u gain IQ, u lose EQ...

all i gotta say is FQ...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Thumbs down Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

The more I read this article the more I angry!!!

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfr...130302,00.html

"SORRY UNCLE, IT WAS AN ACCIDENT" said the coward kid after he garang-ly beaten up the old bus uncle infront of his gf. Guess he is the Chee-hong-mountain + coward, ham-chee and no balls type.
    Can I chop off his head with a parang liao then I say "Sorry coward kid, it was an accident" too?

This coward still got the cheeks to say it was an accident really pissed me off!
    Last edited by XXX Boy; 17th May 2007 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy View Post
    The more I read this article the more I angry!!!

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfr...130302,00.html

"SORRY UNCLE, IT WAS AN ACCIDENT" said the coward kid after he garang-ly beaten up the old bus uncle.
    Can I chop off his head with a parang liao then I say "Sorry coward kid, it was an accident" too?

This coward still got the cheeks to say it was an accident really pissed me off!
    WOLS...

now then u pissed... u can continue another 10 page on pissing...

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12172021222324 ... LastLast