Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1116192021222326 ... LastLast

Thread: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Default Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by hmjt View Post
    If that kid dont learn his lesson now, next time bright future gonna get more ppl in trouble. if the father really love him should have discipline him at home liao, now let police displine.
    养不教,父之过。教不严,师之惰。
    玉不琢,不成器。人不学,不知义。
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Member/Tangshooter

Jail perhaps underage..boy's home more like it...

The spirit of yellow ribbon.."2nd Chance"..he never go it, how to give chance...
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Doesnt' work that way. Jail time = Criminal record = No more entry to university.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Doesnt' work that way. Jail time = Criminal record = No more entry to university.
    SO?? better still, extend his stay at Changi RTC..till he get degree then come out lorz..since worry cannot enter Uni..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Kids these days, tsk.

But we all make mistakes sometimes, don't we?

I am in favour of reform rather than punishment, though. Unless it is proven that reform doesn't work at all. =(

correct, should sent him to Reformative Centre to reform and study there... tha's the best place and there's counsellors and officers there to guide him...
    Leica M4P/ M2 / Summarit 35mm f2.5 / Summicron C40mm f2 / Kobalux 21mm f2.8

just a thought....

has he got any track of records or signs of violence?

will he pose a danger to his fellow schoolmates?

Quote Originally Posted by Verticoastro View Post
    correct, should sent him to Reformative Centre to reform and study there... tha's the best place and there's counsellors and officers there to guide him...
    i once read from papers and heard over radio talking about people (those found julty) rather go jail (those short term one) than to go boys home (aka reformative centre) as life in there is tougher. but how far it is true, i dont know.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

wow few hundred of posts liao....anyway when will the verdict be heard? or has the verdict been done liao? excited to know wat will be the outcome of this kid

Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    If we based on the press reports, the sch boy isnt feeling remorse.

He claimed all the so call punching are accidents - what gives man?

Clearly, the boy is being stuborn and havnt "wake up his idea"

I dunno, perhaps its time to show these so called "elite-class" student that regardless of ur current schooling status, u are still liable for your uncilvised actions. Look at the MP Wee's daughter, look at this Hwa Chong boy. Look at a RGS gal who blog racist remarks on her SAE classmates.

And "community service" has been abused by many sch nowadays. Sweeping the classroom floor can also be considered a "community service" nowadays. I dunno wat a dirty floor can teach a kid to turn over a new leaf
    Yeah, sometimes it's sad to see young men and women with such "elitist" behaviour looking down on others.

But I am just looking from the father's viewpoint, he must be devastated enough to bring himself to kneel and beg for his son and I am sure if that young man had seen what his father had to do because of his actions and still did not feel remorseful, he must be dead wood with no feelings at all.

I see your point about "community service", didn't know that it could be abused in such ways, well people have been trying to beat "the system" from as way back when. Even corporate companies when they go to "off-site meeting", retreat to some resort they usually put a positive spin in all their destinations, like they won't say Gold Coast but say Brisbane instead, they won't say Bali but Denpasar instead.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    How abt:
    - 100 hours of community service (and this is not to be included inside those so-called 'community service hours' students have to clock these days)
    - 10 lashes of Public Caning
    - Formal written apology handwritten, signed by the boy and handed to the driver in person
    - A basket of fruits and a medical compensation of $5000 delivered to the driver in person at hospital by the boy himself
    - Driver and SBS reserves all rights to sue the boy
    - Social worker to deliver report to judge on boy's studies, behaviour, family and friends
    Good idea, but first point maybe should say to serve community service at all SBS depots, dunno lah cleaning and what not.

Public canning??? hmm.. private canning better.

The rest sounds good.

../azul123

Talking Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    I can imagine how the story goes...

Well, this kiddo is from an elite school rite? He deserves a second chance. He's got a whole lot of bright future ahead. It's just a folly he did cos he lost his cool on the spur of the moment.

The police will call on the kid's parents and teachers/principal, and the tortured bus driver + SBS. "What shall we do?" they ponder. Then behind close doors, the kid will be made to apologize to the driver, maybe the kid's parents will buy some gifts for the driver, write a written apology of some sort. The driver, being a nice father himself, will forgive and.. Yes of course, the whole matter will be neatly wrapped up. No more problems... what problems? Only a misunderstanding lah...

Pathetic useless kid... Got the cheek to bully an elderly Uncle and his father had to kneel down to beg for mercy. Why? Cos your kiddo is too precious and smart and has a bright future ahead?

If I had it my way, I'd make him strip to his undies and whimper out loud around public: "I'm sorry I'm a kid with no Balls".

How dare he bullied an innocent Uncle who was just carrying out his job? Then later sobbed like his balls had dropped onto the moving wheels of the bus to be crushed.

I wish I could give him my taekwondo kick to his groin for being such a useless coward!

[Apologies for being so uncivilized as a lady this once but this idiot has totally no respect from me.]
    Wow! So fierce wo! Cannot offend you liao!

Talking Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Good idea, but first point maybe should say to serve community service at all SBS depots, dunno lah cleaning and what not.

Public canning??? hmm.. private canning better.

The rest sounds good.

../azul123
    Wait his dad-dee come and knee down and request to cane him instead in behalf of his coward kid, how???

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Yeah, sometimes it's sad to see young men and women with such "elitist" behaviour looking down on others.

But I am just looking from the father's viewpoint, he must be devastated enough to bring himself to kneel and beg for his son and I am sure if that young man had seen what his father had to do because of his actions and still did not feel remorseful, he must be dead wood with no feelings at all.

I see your point about "community service", didn't know that it could be abused in such ways, well people have been trying to beat "the system" from as way back when. Even corporate companies when they go to "off-site meeting", retreat to some resort they usually put a positive spin in all their destinations, like they won't say Gold Coast but say Brisbane instead, they won't say Bali but Denpasar instead.

../azul123
    The father's actions basically shows how he has brought his child up. Shielding him from everything and not letting him take responsibility for his actions. It reinforces the idea in the child that he is untouchable and has done no wrong. He should have told the boy to go on his knees to beg for forgiveness instead of doing it himself.

It is obvious that the father knows the consequence of his sons actions, more so than the idiot of his loins, who was thinking with his testicles showing how macho and tough he is in front of his girlfriend.

No sympathies for him. There is no place for violence (especially with population density increasing.... it's only going to get worse).

Quote Originally Posted by Frijj
    the idiot of his loins, who was thinking with his testicles showing how macho and tough he is in front of his girlfriend.
    I like this quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Frijj
    No sympathies for him. There is no place for violence (especially with population density increasing.... it's only going to get worse.
    Violence should never be condone, totally agree with that, but also in a graceful society there must be must sort of balance that can be found to give people a second chance, anyway... there's going to be different opinion in this and I respect and accept that.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy View Post
    Wait his dad-dee come and knee down and request to cane him instead in behalf of his coward kid, how???
    Question... are you a dad? it's difficult to understand and also difficult to explain.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Bruce Lee, the easiest thing is to retaliate in force and the toughest thing is to restrain urself.

A true man restraints himself from retaliation which only a wild animal is inclined to do so.
    Huh.

Ok, so next time if someone beats you up, you will just sit there and get beaten to death. And in paradise you can tell whoever you meet that you are a true (but dead) man.

That line is applicable only to a certain extent. Please note that this is nothing to do with the incident, just nitpicking!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Rude drivers... Yes... Rude Passengers... Yes....

Passenger punch driver: 1
    Driver punch passenger: 0

So far the odds are against the passengers....
    Same thing as people in position of authority - do you like to see them abuse their authority? I'll just say the same thing as I say always - don't comment until the facts are out.

Right now, the 2 main parties involved are singing a different song. Why so quick to jump to the side of one? That is not being objective at all - simply assuming that the bus driver was absolutely innocent is quite ridiculous, as that premise is based on nothing but the observations of the other passengers, mind you. Need I mention that provoking can be done calmly and silently, thereby rendering others' observations absolutely worthless?
    Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    Yes I agree, but I think schs would still play a part. Sidetracking abit, I think getting a well rounded education in school would include learning morals.
    Like I was telling someone the other day while talking; schools, parents.. All these can only do so much. It is the same as photography - a photographer can be in the presence of other superb photographers. He can have the best equipment, the most responsive. He can have the best shots presented to him from the best angle. But if he has a pathetic learning curve, he will never produce a good photograph.

Same for this sense of morality, or what is termed in the bigger picture as wisdom. I can come from a good school. I can be surrounded by people of good character and good temper. But all these amount to nothing, if I refuse to learn from them. =)

Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    If we based on the press reports, the sch boy isnt feeling remorse.

He claimed all the so call punching are accidents - what gives man?
    Let me point out once again that the people who kbkb about our "free press" have gone into hiding. When it is one-sided to our advantage, very happy hor! Can snipe at the people you don't like or pretend not to like.

Who else sees that the story is not exactly objective, and the information dished out is not exactly very comprehensive and crystal clear? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    If I had it my way, I'd make him strip to his undies and whimper out loud around public: "I'm sorry I'm a kid with no Balls".
    Hrm. So your way is no different from his reaction as to punching the uncle.

Easy to judge, but we need a mirror sometimes. =)

Quote Originally Posted by newbiegrapher View Post
    wow few hundred of posts liao....anyway when will the verdict be heard? or has the verdict been done liao? excited to know wat will be the outcome of this kid
    The initial media report: http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfr...30301,00.html?

The subsequent cowardly explanation: http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfr...130302,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by The New Paper
    When contacted, Hwa Chong Institution said the school 'deeply regretted this unfortunate incident which resulted from a misunderstanding'.

They said they do not condone unbecoming behaviour.

The school said the student is a good student and well-behaved and is distressed by what happened.

They are currently 'working closely with his parents to help him manage his current emotions to overcome this difficult period'.

The school further stated that they are providing him with guidance.
    Sch Caning (be it public or behind close doors) - Don't think its going to happen. HC has already chosen the easy way out.

Action from SBS - Article does not provide any updates. My guess is that if the parents compensate the driver for his injuries, they may not press charges.

Conclusion: Another brat gets away cheap and fails to learn what being responsible for your actions is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    The initial media report: http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfr...30301,00.html?

The subsequent cowardly explanation: http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfr...130302,00.html

Conclusion: Another brat gets away cheap and fails to learn what being responsible for your actions is.
    Wow, that was a scary leap in logic;

I would be fair and objective and take everything I read with a pinch of salt, especially when the story appears to favour one party more than another, and objectiveness is lost.

An example of what I'm saying:
    On March 3, 1991, King, on parole from prison on a robbery conviction, led police on a high speed pursuit, refusing to pull over in response to the red lights and sirens behind him. Finally, after driving through several red lights and boulevard stops, he pulled over in the Lake View Terrace district. The Los Angeles police were assisted by other law enforcement. King, who had a record of drunk driving and was believed to be under the influence of PCP by the officers on scene, resisted arrest even after being tasered, tackled, and struck with batons by four LAPD officers: Ofc. Laurence Powell, Ofc. Timothy Wind, Ofc. Theodore Briseno and Sgt. Stacey Koon (three whites and one Hispanic). He is also alleged to have lunged for the weapon of one of the police officers on site, although that event, supposedly being early in the altercation, was not caught on the tape.
    Let us not underestimate the powers of the media and suddenly forget that we are a nation where many, many people rant against the fact that there is only ONE main newspaper company.

You want examples? Just look at all the rugby reports for secondary and JC playoffs, I don't have to say anymore.

The Rodney King incident was treated as a repeat offender case, he had a bad background, etc. If there was no true record of the incident, the abuse of power by the police back then due to their own prejudices would have gone unrecorded, and they would not have suffered any consequences (speaking of which, all of the officers indicted were acquitted anyways).

Does Singapore need to go down this road?

We all seem to have this inane need to want to judge quickly, decisively, for whatever reason. I don't know, to put it candidly it seems to me that we just want to show our moral superiority, that we know what is right and what is wrong.

I'm not siding with the boy, do not mistake me. I'm just saying that I'm godawful tired of seeing all these funny arguments where people take sides and jump to conclusions and make drastic leaps in logic based on what they read in the newspapers. It gets even more ironic when you remember previous threads where some of these very people (not pointing fingers at anyone here) posted that they were sick and tired of getting only one POV.

I leave you with this question - would you, as a judge, convict the boy based on all these statements? Without any room for investigation whether his claims were true, thereby providing a plausible explanation for his actions, which would not be then so severe since he was provoked?

If you would not, then it would be rather hypocritical to judge him in your own minds now, based on these very 2 reports, would it?
    Last edited by night86mare; 17th May 2007 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Right now, the 2 main parties involved are singing a different song. Why so quick to jump to the side of one? That is not being objective at all - simply assuming that the bus driver was absolutely innocent is quite ridiculous, as that premise is based on nothing but the observations of the other passengers, mind you. Need I mention that provoking can be done calmly and silently, thereby rendering others' observations absolutely worthless?
    IMO, his subsequent statement to the press is already an admission of guilt of sorts. He does not deny punching or slapping the driver but merely tries to downplay his actions with a weak explanation.

I don't see it as "2 main parties.. singing a different song". As far as I can tell from the article, the driver's account and the passengers' account are consistent. I agree with you that provocation can be done quite unobtrusively but it still does not justify what the student's punching & slapping of the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    IMO, his subsequent statement to the press is already an admission of guilt of sorts. He does not deny punching or slapping the driver but merely tries to downplay his actions with a weak explanation.

I don't see it as "2 main parties.. singing a different song". As far as I can tell from the article, the driver's account and the passengers' account are consistent. I agree with you that provocation can be done quite unobtrusively but it still does not justify what the student's punching & slapping of the driver.
    Justify or not, what I'm talking about is not just about the student.

Violence is wrong in this society, it has no place in civilised life, that much is true.

But if the bus driver is going out of his way to provoke students with a certain amount of high-handedness, as what is suggested by the student's account - don't you think something should be done?

Just because he has been punched doesn't mean diddly squat to me, if he did what the student claim he did. Once again, the punching is another thing altogether.

I don't know about you, but if what the student said is true, then if I were in his shoes, I'd have waited for the bus inspector to arrive, proven that the card was indeed the girlfriend's, and thoroughly rub it into the bus driver's face by making a thorough complaint about his high-handedness and conduct. I have encountered errant taxi drivers before, and I did not hesitate to make sure that their actions went unnoticed. Call it petty or by any other name, but I view it as demanding the consumer's right where it is warranted.

It is very easy to overlook certain things - but sometimes problems go unnoticed. What if 2 weeks later another student makes the very same complaint, that the bus driver is harassing him and his friends for no particular reason, etc? Then would this very student be a hero then? Think about it.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1116192021222326 ... LastLast