Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 712151617181922 ... LastLast

Thread: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Default Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy View Post
    The problem is that this kid still does not admit to his faults! And so does his school!
    It's still under investigations mah....so cannot reveal any facts? ?

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    The thing about being a 1st timer is... everyone deserves a 2nd chance. Being humans, we make mistakes. That does not make us bad people. Being humans, we all have deep seated greed, anger, aggression, envy, and even hate... It's how we deal with these that make us good or bad people. Sometimes, in moments of weakness, we take a wrong step, but that does not mean that we will do it again and again. That's why we give people chances to learn... to change and become better. If he does it 2 or 3 times, then perhaps it would warrant a heavier punishment... but we should not ruin him for 1 mistake. That's the thing about being a 1st timer.
    once a criminal, always be branded as one, why give them the second chance when they did not take the first one seriously.

Would you give someone a second chance if he was speeding and killed your family member in the process? Would you say its ok la, no worry, you will be forgiven for your action, dun do it the next time.

all these are only if you are rich, you most likely going to get away with it.

Blog Entries

resorting to violence to solve problems is wrong.
    there is no other way around it.

Talking Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by ihub88 View Post
    once a criminal, always be branded as one, why give them the second chance when they did not take the first one seriously.

Would you give someone a second chance if he was speeding and killed your family member in the process? Would you say its ok la, no worry, you will be forgiven for your action, dun do it the next time.

all these are only if you are rich, you most likely going to get away with it.
    Like the wise SM Goh once quoted saying "if you punch me till oh-pak-ka, then you say sorry to me, ok bo???"

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    resorting to violence to solve problems is wrong.
    there is no other way around it.
    then how about death sentence??

and about wars on terrorism??

give the terrorists counselling??

imagine the teachers whom have to put up with this kinda students?...

I agree that everyone deserves a second chance, everyone of us had made mistakes.

But from what I read here; this kid is trying to wiggle his way out by down playing the incident...

To get a second chance; that kid have to be punished for what he did first. Pay his dues. Then come and say "gimme a second chance".

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    Interesting conversation we're all having here

I don't think we are vindictive people here; personally I feel that;

1. The boy should apologise and admit that he was wrong to hit the uncle driver. He is the aggressor here by all accounts. I don't think the driver deserve to be hit & slapped for doing what he should do in the line of work.

2. The school, if it wants to be involved, should say that they are looking into discipline/counselling the kid, instead of putting out a press statement saying that its an 'unfortunate accident'? to protect the school's reputation.

I think we're so tired of seeing 'elites' who had screwed up and had to depend on daddy/mommy/school/lawyer/"he/she is a hardworking, bright student" to bail them out instead of just admitting that they did WRONG.

He is 17yrs old now. Next year he'll be 18 and will be in the Army? Would you trust this person who seems to have trouble controlling his emotions with a rifle?
    I agree with everything you say. I'm not too happy that the school made such a poor press statement.

I was from RI. I remember this case, where a boy stole a dictionary from Kinokuniya. It was an expensive Jap-English dictionary which he needed for his class, and he probably could not afford it... so in a moment of weakness, he took it. He was caught. The principal apologised asked Kinokuniya to let the school handle the matter. After that, he caned the boy on stage during assembly. Before he did that, he gave a speech. In this speech, he pleaded to everyone to learn from this lesson, and not to treat the boy any differently after this. He said that the boy has paid for the mistake, so he should be given a 2nd chance. I remember the boy was very sad and reclusive after that for a while. But in a few months, he was normal and went about his life.

As for army, I'm sure he will have a few things to learn in the army. The army is discipline and character building. Actually, I think it will be good for him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    then how about death sentence??

and about wars on terrorism??

give the terrorists counselling??
    death sentence is a deterant but if you still want to do the crime
    then you face the punishment - not the same as solving problems with violence

terrorism?
    wrong, punish the wrong doers
    if talk does not help then must defend
    - also not the same as solving problems with violence

Thumbs down Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

I agree with everything you say. I'm not too happy that the school made such a poor press statement.

I was from RI. I remember this case, where a boy stole a dictionary from Kinokuniya. It was an expensive Jap-English dictionary which he needed for his class, and he probably could not afford it... so in a moment of weakness, he took it. He was caught. The principal apologised asked Kinokuniya to let the school handle the matter. After that, he caned the boy on stage during assembly. Before he did that, he gave a speech. In this speech, he pleaded to everyone to learn from this lesson, and not to treat the boy any differently after this. He said that the boy has paid for the mistake, so he should be given a 2nd chance. I remember the boy was very sad and reclusive after that for a while. But in a few months, he was normal and went about his life.

As for army, I'm sure he will have a few things to learn in the army. The army is discipline and character building. Actually, I think it will be good for him.
    Your RI principal steady...Hwa Chong's one still trying to say that this was an "accident" whereby his so-called elites kid are catfighting outside school! Shame!!!

He goes army if he is a singaporean...

And if he don't geng PES F.

The thing about being a 1st timer is... everyone deserves a 2nd chance. Being humans, we make mistakes. That does not make us bad people. Being humans, we all have deep seated greed, anger, aggression, envy, and even hate... It's how we deal with these that make us good or bad people. Sometimes, in moments of weakness, we take a wrong step, but that does not mean that we will do it again and again. That's why we give people chances to learn... to change and become better. If he does it 2 or 3 times, then perhaps it would warrant a heavier punishment... but we should not ruin him for 1 mistake. That's the thing about being a 1st timer.
    We are not talking about whether the student should be given another chance or not. I don't think anyone is out to condemn his future permanently.

What gets me incensed is that this student seems to be getting out of any punishment that befits his offense. And everyone around him seems to want to play down the matter.

What sort of message is the school trying to send out? That if you are (and have been) a very clever and obedient student, we will close one eye on the rules you break? If that is the case, then I think HC has failed in its duty to educate its students.

I feel what youngsters fail to understand these days is that one must be responsible for their actions and any resulting consequence.

Note that he can also can ask his parents to pay "deposit" for him to get to a foreign uni and then he dun return "for good"... A lot of elites' sons / daughters do that..

Talking Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelim View Post
    And if he don't geng PES F.
    He is so fit man still can beat old man up like that people asked him to stop but still keep hitting! How can he be PES F???

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    We are not talking about whether the student should be given another chance or not. I don't think anyone is out to condemn his future permanently.

What gets me incensed is that this student seems to be getting out of any punishment that befits his offense. And everyone around him seems to want to play down the matter.

What sort of message is the school trying to send out? That if you are (and have been) a very clever and obedient student, we will close one eye on the rules you break? If that is the case, then I think HC has failed in its duty to educate its students.

I feel what youngsters fail to understand these days is that one must be responsible for their actions and any resulting consequence.
    The school is trying to say: "I protect my students one... C'mon elites, join my school... gurantee nothing will do wrong, even if you punch a driver or two"

If I were the HC principal, I will invite the bus driver to the school, and make the boy apologise to him in front of the entire assembly. Then cane the boy in front of the school. I think that should suffice... unless he commits another bad deed.

If I were the HC principal, I will invite the bus driver to the school, and make the boy apologise to him in front of the entire assembly. Then cane the boy in front of the school. I think that should suffice... unless he commits another bad deed.
    Too bad lo, HC principal just brush off with "it was just an accident!"

If you jail him, cane him with a whip soaked in horse urine, give him a criminal record, sack him from school, etc... he will lose his chance to become middle-class. What's the point in that?
    Why do we need to shed our pitiness and give the boy a second chance when he never even take the opportunity to feel remorse and apologise for his media statement? THAT chance is hard to come by and sorry to say, he gave the only chance up. He still thinks he's right by saying he has committed an "accident"

And pls dun get the "middle-class" or "high-class" comparison here. By throwing his punch in the 1st place, he dun deserved to be in ANY of the "class". Why tok abt income classes here? He already cant handle the harsh facts in schooling life, let alone the working/social life?
    Last edited by cjl; 16th May 2007 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    The school is trying to say: "I protect my students one... C'mon elites, join my school... gurantee nothing will do wrong, even if you punch a driver or two"
    If that was really the case, then I think s'poeans should petition to have HC closed down, the principal sacked and have MOE explain what sort of values are they teaching our kids.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 712151617181922 ... LastLast