Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 51013141516172025 ... LastLast

Thread: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Default Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    SBS Transit has a stern and firm view on this and they are goin to pursue the matter.
    a deed done wrong is a transgression. Law and Order !

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    a deed done wrong is a transgression. Law and Order !

Gif it to him!!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    imho; seems likr our schools have failed us and society.

Schools nowadays seems to give kids knowledge but not morals.

I think the responsibility of teaching morals lie primarily with the parents. Schools can teach the morals but if the parents fail to set the example when they are young, then its a moot point anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    I think the responsibility of teaching morals lie primarily with the parents. Schools can teach the morals but if the parents fail to set the example when they are young, then its a moot point anyway.
    Yes I agree, but I think schs would still play a part. Sidetracking abit, I think getting a well rounded education in school would include learning morals.

But I am not a parent so I wouldn't know how hard is it to teach a kid morals, since I would have to compete with TV, Internet, Games for his attention?

Wah Singaporean getting violent!

During lunch my colleagues and I was talking about this incident, I said to my colleagues the student having felt remorseful should be given another chance, I told my colleagues if I was judge I would do that for the sake of the father and because this young man realised his mistake and was remorseful.

My colleagues argued otherwise, saying he had only shown remorse after realising it is a criminal offence he just did and he could potentially throw his future away because of this lapse in judgement or self-control.

We took a short break (2 hours) and then met again at tea break, I said... ok ok... how about this? let him off this time and make him do community service for one year.

My colleagues... hmmm..yah that seems like an ok punishment.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    The responsibility is a collective one, something that starts from home and extends to everything and everyone else outside home. Sure, you probably did not need your school to tell you it is not right to fight, maybe because you are more perceptive to what's right and what's not or you may have had the benefit of good parenting. However, I am also certain that you have been educated in school, by way of talks or as part of your educational syllabus, that fighting, bullying of beating others up is not necessarily a good thing. It helps to supplement and reinforce this concept on other people who do not have the benefit like yours.

For me personally, the school has moved in the correct way, not to ostracize a kid who isn’t thinking straight, not that he cannot, but he doesn’t, there is a whole world of difference between the two. The kids punishment will be taken care of by the right people.

Kids know by instinct the difference of right and wrong (unless the parental example is that SCREWED up).

Even my cats and dogs at home know when they did something wrong for that matter.

It will be an EXTREMELY sad society we are going to have if we need school to teach kids formally the difference between right and wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    During lunch my colleagues and I was talking about this incident, I said to my colleagues the student having felt remorseful should be given another chance, I told my colleagues if I was judge I would do that for the sake of the father and because this young man realised his mistake and was remorseful.

My colleagues argued otherwise, saying he had only shown remorse after realising it is a criminal offence he just did and he could potentially throw his future away because of this lapse in judgement or self-control.

We took a short break (2 hours) and then met again at tea break, I said... ok ok... how about this? let him off this time and make him do community service for one year.

My colleagues... hmmm..yah that seems like an ok punishment.

../azul123
    If we based on the press reports, the sch boy isnt feeling remorse.

He claimed all the so call punching are accidents - what gives man?

Clearly, the boy is being stuborn and havnt "wake up his idea"

I dunno, perhaps its time to show these so called "elite-class" student that regardless of ur current schooling status, u are still liable for your uncilvised actions. Look at the MP Wee's daughter, look at this Hwa Chong boy. Look at a RGS gal who blog racist remarks on her SAE classmates.

And "community service" has been abused by many sch nowadays. Sweeping the classroom floor can also be considered a "community service" nowadays. I dunno wat a dirty floor can teach a kid to turn over a new leaf

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Kids know by instinct the difference of right and wrong (unless the parental example is that SCREWED up).

Even my cats and dogs at home know when they did something wrong for that matter.

It will be an EXTREMELY sad society we are going to have if we need school to teach kids formally the difference between right and wrong.
    I dun really agree abt having the instinct straight from born.

As u mentioned, parents play a part in the education. Schools play another, perhaps in the ways of getting along with much many different others. Something u cant experience at home.

Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    If we based on the press reports, the sch boy isnt feeling remorse.

He claimed all the so call punching are accidents - what gives man?

Clearly, the boy is being stuborn and havnt "wake up his idea"

I dunno, perhaps its time to show these so called "elite-class" student that regardless of ur current schooling status, u are still liable for your uncilvised actions. Look at the MP Wee's daughter, look at this Hwa Chong boy. Look at a RGS gal who blog racist remarks on her SAE classmates.

And "community service" has been abused by many sch nowadays. Sweeping the classroom floor can also be considered a "community service" nowadays. I dunno wat a dirty floor can teach a kid to turn over a new leaf
    I think the school should sack him and the court should also charge him of attacking people. Put him in lock-up for a month in Boys home.
    Maybe like tat, he will really wake up his idea!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy View Post
    I think the school should sack him and the court should also charge him of attacking people. Put him in lock-up for a month in Boys home.
    We just have to wait and see. I really wish the press or some whistle-blower can tell us the decision made by HCJC.In fact, the school dun sound remorse at all in the reports.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy View Post
    some people never learn.

I very sure he going to get away with it once his father put out a bit of money.

Quote Originally Posted by cjl View Post
    I dun really agree abt having the instinct straight from born.

As u mentioned, parents play a part in the education. Schools play another, perhaps in the ways of getting along with much many different others. Something u cant experience at home.
    from birth, thought we have conscience?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/22/sc...xprod=newsvine

I have read another article about an accident which left a railway worker with a brain damage in that area. After that, he changed from being a moral citizen, to an amoral, swearing, misfit. That accident started research of this nature...

Talking Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    From the Buddhist point of view, yes!
    All sentient beings have Buddha-nature but only yet to discover it from within.

Sack him? Cane him with horse urine? Throw him in jail?

The way I see it... this forum is filled with very vindictive people, whose wish to harm the boy in far more vicious ways than that which befits what he did. The way I see it, these thoughts show how much negativity and aggression we have inside... such that we cannot even bring ourselves to give a 1st time offender the benefit of the doubt. That's not much better than what the boy did.

He was cornered and trapped in the bus. He punched the bus driver and the driver ended up with 2 days MC.

Now you want to take this boy's future away from him? He is not a repeat offender. This is his 1st time crossing the line. He should be given a punishment that hurts him, but not one that affects his future prospects.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance... perhaps even Glenn Knight.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 16th May 2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Everyone deserves a 2nd chance... perhaps even Glenn Knight.
    In SG... there's no 2nd chance.

The media's eyes are all on this issue, regardless how vindictive we get, the pressure is ultimately on the judge's shoulders. Anyway, being a minor, he will go into boy's home at max if not probation. Jail is definitely out.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    No, that was not my point.

So, my dear man, have you made any mistakes before?

If no, then I will keep quiet. =) We all make mistakes, it's just big, or small. But they are still mistakes.
    That's what I said! Did you read my post? Jeez. We were all young once, but at 17, he should know that assaulting someone is just not right. In this case, he should be punished. I believe that his father will also agree on this. If he is my son, I would also advocate punishment.

In any event, the type of punishment meted out would be decided by the judge but I do think that canning, jail term is a little over the top seeing as he appeared remorseful and apologized.

Thumbs down Re: Hwa Chong student punched bus driver

Even his school say it was an accident?

Meaning of Accident quoted from Wikipedia:-
    An accident is a detrimental event that occurs unexpectedly and unintentionally. Physical examples include unintended collisions or falls, being injured by touching something sharp, hot, or electric, or ingesting poison. Non-physical examples are unintentionally revealing a secret or otherwise saying something incorrectly, forgetting an appointment, etc.
    Oh...the act of punching people is considered unintentionally...oh...thats what Hwa Chong teaches???

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    not getting into any anti-govt BS here hor...

but seriously, wat irks me is the molly-coddling from the sch on a supposedly 'academically good' student. wat? the student has no sense of shame? is your result slip the measure of ur worth?

if i have to see my dad going down on his knees to beg before a stranger... i dunno if i can ever live, let alone sleep at nite.
    How's life my friend?

Seriously speaking, I mean u're on a better ground to actually see things and u had done so. The fact remains:

Elite School: Student riot, student beat ppl = School says misunderstanding, papers splash on main page, a battery of '-ologists' comes out to examine the behaviour on a social, cultural, political, family, etc. Counselling to correct the behaviour.

Normal Schools: Public caning & suspension (probably talk of expulsion), ppl say, "What do u expect huh? Neighbourhood schools all this pattern one.", school apologises and MAKE THE STUDENT apologise as well. Parents also apologise.

Hmm.... see my point my friend?

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 51013141516172025 ... LastLast