Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

  1. #41

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    CP in Peninsula Plaza is out of stock. Only Marina Square has it. Anyway, I've tried the link by hobbes234 as the price seems to be significantly cheaper.

    Correction: I got the prices mixed up so in the end with postage thrown in, the prices are not that significantly cheaper than what you get in Singapore. I found out I ordered the wrong filter, i.e. the UV one instead of the MRC. Sigh!
    Last edited by shutterbug2; 11th July 2007 at 08:43 PM.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    I have another question - One filter only fits lenses of the same measurements right? If I get another lense with a different diameter, then I have to get another filter? What's a step up filter?

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug2 View Post
    I have another question - One filter only fits lenses of the same measurements right? If I get another lense with a different diameter, then I have to get another filter? What's a step up filter?
    Yr first question leads to the 2nd one. A step-up filter allows u to mount a slightly larger diameter filter onto yr lens. For example from 52mm to 58mm. But of cos, if one filter for each diameter of lens unless yr other lenses are of the same diameter.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug2 View Post
    CP in Peninsula Plaza is out of stock. Only Marina Square has it. Anyway, I've tried the link by hobbes234 as the price seems to be significantly cheaper.

    Correction: I got the prices mixed up so in the end with postage thrown in, the prices are not that significantly cheaper than what you get in Singapore. I found out I ordered the wrong filter, i.e. the UV one instead of the MRC. Sigh!
    hi shutterbug,

    forgot to tell you that the shipping is not included. which filter did you order?

  5. #45

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    B+W UV Haze filter, 72mm. I thought that was the MRC one. Anyway the website shows the same pix for both filters which was a little misleading. No worries.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Is B+W CPL easy to clean too? I used to have a hoya CPL and it seems normal left untouch. But when I use a cloth an clean it, there seems to be a layer of grease on it and the more I clean the worse it gets. Does all B+W CPL have the same symptoms as well?

  7. #47
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by Camm View Post
    Is B+W CPL easy to clean too? I used to have a hoya CPL and it seems normal left untouch. But when I use a cloth an clean it, there seems to be a layer of grease on it and the more I clean the worse it gets. Does all B+W CPL have the same symptoms as well?
    Oh no, are you cleaning off the coating?
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  8. #48

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by Camm View Post
    Is B+W CPL easy to clean too? I used to have a hoya CPL and it seems normal left untouch. But when I use a cloth an clean it, there seems to be a layer of grease on it and the more I clean the worse it gets. Does all B+W CPL have the same symptoms as well?
    B+W filters are a joy to clean, one wipe, one blow from the blower and all done. I have had similar experience with the Hoya - you've got to make sure that the coating is not coming off. It does tend to be a little messier though

  9. #49

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    any place i can check the price for 67mm B+W CPL price?

  10. #50

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Yeah I guess i could have removed the coating of the cpl,but after removing the coating, it's easy to clean..haha...

  11. #51
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,125

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by heckcare.der View Post
    any place i can check the price for 67mm B+W CPL price?
    Cathay Photo as they are distributor

  12. #52

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Sorry,, can I ask which is the model of the slim B+W polarizer? I called a few shop, was told there's no thin one for B+W.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    I know most of you favor the B+W, but can someone tell me please if the Hoya Pro1 Digital UV(0) DMC is as good as the Hoya Super HMC Pro1 UV(0)?

    I have a Canon 400D. I should really buy the Digital version, right?

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by whopub View Post
    I know most of you favor the B+W, but can someone tell me please if the Hoya Pro1 Digital UV(0) DMC is as good as the Hoya Super HMC Pro1 UV(0)?

    I have a Canon 400D. I should really buy the Digital version, right?
    I have used the Hoya Pro1 Digital DMC filters on both my Ls before switching to B+W. IMHO, the Hoya ones are still not as gd as the B+W ones in terms of colour quality.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I have used the Hoya Pro1 Digital DMC filters on both my Ls before switching to B+W. IMHO, the Hoya ones are still not as gd as the B+W ones in terms of colour quality.
    They must be, and I'm bound to end up buying one sooner or later, but at this point I'm just trying to compare both Hoya Pro1 filters. The digital and the regular. I'm sure there's good reason for them to put out a digital version, but I wanted to be sure. I know this is ridiculous, but the packaging on the digital version seems to inspire less confidence than the regular super HMC versions. Not to mention that there's less info online about the new one.

    So, has anyone actually compared both Hoya filters on a DSLR?

    Thanks for the input Snoweagle. People really swear by their B+Ws...

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by whopub View Post
    They must be, and I'm bound to end up buying one sooner or later, but at this point I'm just trying to compare both Hoya Pro1 filters. The digital and the regular. I'm sure there's good reason for them to put out a digital version, but I wanted to be sure. I know this is ridiculous, but the packaging on the digital version seems to inspire less confidence than the regular super HMC versions. Not to mention that there's less info online about the new one.

    So, has anyone actually compared both Hoya filters on a DSLR?

    Thanks for the input Snoweagle. People really swear by their B+Ws...
    as far as I know, DHMC (digital HMC) offer a normal HMC + "digital" coating mean to be optimised for CMOS/CCD. SHMC is HMC + another 3 layers of coating(can't rmb la) and it offer the best light transmission of all the Hoya lineup.
    but after all the technical stuffs, i doubt most can see the different unless in the most extreme cases. (very strong flare from direct light)

    imho its either hoya HMC (not SHMC) or just B+W MRC, for the price of SHMC, i rather top up for a B+W MRC. personally im using ("testing") out Marumi which can be gotten from eBay, cleaning is pretty good and proved to be as good, if not better than the Hoya HMC. Optically B+W is slightly better, but at 50% of the price, theres nothing to complain
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 6th October 2007 at 09:53 AM.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by whopub View Post
    They must be, and I'm bound to end up buying one sooner or later, but at this point I'm just trying to compare both Hoya Pro1 filters. The digital and the regular. I'm sure there's good reason for them to put out a digital version, but I wanted to be sure. I know this is ridiculous, but the packaging on the digital version seems to inspire less confidence than the regular super HMC versions. Not to mention that there's less info online about the new one.

    So, has anyone actually compared both Hoya filters on a DSLR?

    Thanks for the input Snoweagle. People really swear by their B+Ws...
    The Hoya Pro1 Digital filter's packaging are a nice blue and black colour and seems to be better than the regular ones including the HMCs. I suppose the Pro1s have technology and coatings which are optimised for digital cameras, therefore the 'digital' prefix.

    But still, no regrets changing to B+W UV MRC filters are they're much better although the extra cost, but it's money well spent.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Multi-Coated UV filter (B+W and HOYA)

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    imho its either hoya HMC (not SHMC) or just B+W MRC, for the price of SHMC, i rather top up for a B+W MRC.
    Actually on eBay (from Hong Kong with shipping to Europe) prices go like this:

    Hoya Super HMC UV(0)................USD $25.70
    Hoya Pro1 Digital UV(0) DMC.........USD $27.85
    Hoya Super HMC Pro 1 UV(0)........USD $30.40

    So there really isn't much of a difference. Hence the question.

    But I may go for a B+W instead, since the B+W 58mm MRC UV costs USD $44.95 with shipping.

    The thing is, I have a short budget, and I was meaning to buy just one filter, but I don't even know whether to buy an UV filter or a polarizer.

    You know how it is, the more you research the further you are from an actual conclusion.

    Since polarizers help with reducing the haze too and they also improve the overall collor when shooting outside, that may be the way to go.

    In the old days I used a Canon F1 with a 50mm FD 1.2 lens and a cheap ass Vivitar 1A Skylight, and the results were great. I'm just trying to accomplish that with my new Canon 400D. Let's just say the change to digital is not as smooth as I thought it would be.

    I do outdoor portraits (let's be cool and call it no-budget fashion photography) at sea level. Open sky, not a lot of polution. Available light, when possible, sometimes with too much light on the model's skin, which creates some unwanted reflections.

    Would the polarizer serve me better in terms of color tone, while still reducing the haze?
    Or should I go for Skylight UV?

    What circular polarizer should I be aiming at? From B+w? I really didn't want to spend more than USD $50 on this...

    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •