Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast

Thread: Pahang Trip on Good Friday Weekends

Any idea on the weather? Hot? Cold? What kind of clothes should we bring? Shorts can? Mosquitos?

btw, shall we bring torchlight?
    Last edited by tomshen; 17th April 2003 at 10:02 AM.

Originally posted by tomshen
    Any idea on the weather? Hot? Cold? What kind of clothes should we bring? Shorts can? Mosquitos?
    Long sleeve will be good to kill bugs and mosqitoe away. Bring insect repellant.

Weather will be humind inside the dense forrest. Bring rain coat/trash bag to keep your eqpt dry if it rain.

Will be cold at night di\ue to all the tree. Natural aircon + natural symphony.

Originally posted by jasphotography
    thanks, really can? My mobile cannot roam ...
    sure sure... pass my number to your family, gf, wife, whoever. just don't pass to the whole world hor...

my rates are very reasonable, of course.

Originally posted by binbeto
    Long sleeve will be good to kill bugs and mosqitoe away. Bring insect repellant.

Weather will be humind inside the dense forrest. Bring rain coat/trash bag to keep your eqpt dry if it rain.

Will be cold at night di\ue to all the tree. Natural aircon + natural symphony.
    urghhh... forgot about long sleeves... was planning to bring all berms and shorts. oh well i guess i better re-pack. thanks binbeto!!!

oh any1 got spare trash bags to pass me? i may not have time to go buy some.

Originally posted by Larry

oh any1 got spare trash bags to pass me? i may not have time to go buy some.
    I pass you some spare trash bags. My cost is reasonable too.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Larry
    urghhh... forgot about long sleeves... was planning to bring all berms and shorts. oh well i guess i better re-pack. thanks binbeto!!!
    I say say only.. I won't be bringing long sleeve due to the heat and humility.

Will be wearing jean and t-short... And lots of insect repellent.

Weather forecast for termoloh during coming days.

Thursday Night
    Scattered Clouds. Low: 75° F. / 24° C.
    Friday
    Chance of a Thunderstorm. High: 87° F. / 31° C.
    Friday Night
    Scattered Clouds. Low: 71° F. / 22° C.
    Saturday
    Thunderstorm . High: 93° F. / 34° C.
    Saturday Night
    Chance of Rain. Low: 71° F. / 22° C.
    Sunday
    Chance of a Thunderstorm. High: 91° F. / 33° C.
    Sunday Night
    Scattered Clouds. Low: 71° F. / 22° C.
    Monday
    Chance of a Thunderstorm. High: 91° F. / 33° C.

ah crap... stormy weather. shucks, guess i better bring along some rain protection then.

Update:

Got the tix and some advise.

Bring:

1. Baygon(green) , insecticide to keep the leeches at bay.

2.Dun wear new shoe cos it may cause blister.

3. Bring your own alcohol if u really need it. They are either very ex or not available.

4.Umbrella/raincoat, there is no shelter there.

5.Tourch light, for those nightwalk and gua telinga.

6.Chocolate bar, cookie, sweets, banana to give energy.

7.Those on medicatuon to remember to bring.

8. Jacket for morning and raining days.

*** Take nothing but Photographs, Leave Nothing but Footprints ***

Article by Joe Van Os on a photography trip:

My number one recommendation for your carry-on camera pack would be the inclusion of any personal prescription medicines and "over-the-counter" remedies that will be needed during a journey. Since the camera pack does not often leave your sight, this is the primary spot to include these important items. Many people keep their eyeglasses/sunglasses and contact lens solution here as well. As a matter of routine, it is also good to permanently keep a supply of minor pain relievers like aspirin or ibuprofen in a small bottle tucked away in one of the pack’s compartments. It’s always handy to have a spoon for taking liquid medicines. More often, you can probably find a use for the spoon as an eating utensil. Some pros also stow a few Bonine® tablets for motion sickness in case they are working from a boat or doing aerial photography. Because I am often on transoceanic flights, I also have a small supply of prescription sleeping pills like Halcyon® or Ambien® in my bag. This makes lengthy flights of eight hours or longer far more tolerable. Using them, I arrive feeling relatively rested even after being jammed, for hours, in an economy-class seat. (See your doctor before using any medication.) Finally, I always make sure to carry a generous supply of Immodium® in the pack. I want to be able to deal with "Traveler’s Distress" as promptly as possible — especially while I’m in transit!

The complete camera pack also contains a couple of Sharpie® fine point permanent markers to be able to label pushed film on the film canister, and a host of other uses. A small pen-sized Mini-Maglite® flashlight works really well to see a root stretched over a dark trail, or camera controls in the pre-dawn hours. And a small pack of Kleenex® tissues works equally well for wiping noses, lenses and whatever else.

Personally, I regularly carry a second set of luggage keys in my camera pack — the first set is in my wallet. In addition, I have a photo copy of the first page of my passport in my camera pack (as well as in every other piece of checked baggage) in case my passport is lost or my luggage is misdirected and the baggage tags get torn off. My pack also includes a cheap dog whistle that I find works very well for obtaining a quick photogenic "look" from an animal, yet the whistle sound is unobtrusive when used judiciously.

When I am heading out from home on the first leg of an international trip, I routinely pack one set of underwear and socks in my camera pack in case my luggage does not arrive when I get there. This allows a partial fresh change of clothes after a long flight and the ability to wash one set while the other is being worn. I would also point out the virtue of traveling with dark-colored underwear instead of white ones. This advice will be especially significant the next time you are struck with severe "both ends" dysentery and need to have your laundry "done" by others, at a hotel. In the same context, this also holds true when you share a room, wash laundry "by hand," and need to publicly hang it to dry in the bathroom or other common area.

The gear that accompanies me in my suitcase is equipment that I may not need on a daily basis, yet is very important to my overall travels. In this category I would consider a roll of duct tape to be of primary importance. You can fix just about anything with duct tape, from luggage to tripods, and I would never travel without it. Along with the tape I also include about fifteen feet of thin nylon rope (or shock cord). There never seems to be rope around when you need it. At least in my suitcase, I have a supply nearby.

Plastic bags are another must-have part of your travel gear. Gallon-size Ziploc® freezer bags, like duct tape, are indispensable items. Their uses are many including as film bags, for keeping a cloth dry in your camera vest to wipe a lens during a rainstorm, and for keeping miscellaneous pieces of small gear organized in your pack. Before every trip, I place my shampoo and any aerosol cans in doubled Ziplocs before putting them in my suitcase. This has saved me countless messes when the air pressure in an airline luggage hold causes the shampoo and other liquids and sprays to ooze. Trash compactor bags are excellent for protecting camera gear in a rainstorm and they work well as laundry bags, etc. They are much more durable than lighter-gauge plastic trash bags.

While on the topic of rainstorms, along with a few products made of GoreTex®, the absolute best raingear I have found is Dutchtech® that is manufactured by Dutch Harbor Gear, in Seattle. This gear is unbelievably light weight, takes up very little room in the suitcase, yet is very strong and durable. It is 100% impermeable — not breathable like GoreTex — so it is not the best for tropical, humid climates. For use in the temperate to sub-Arctic north, or around maritime Antarctica and South Georgia, you will find nothing better! Mine is the classic "overalls" style trousers and an intentionally oversized rain jacket with a hood that fits over my parka and jacket. I bought mine at REI in Seattle and the cost was about $90 for the set. You can purchase these through REI at their retail stores or on the web. It comes in several styles, four colors, and is "quiet" in the field as you walk.

A water bottle is often a necessity in hot climates, or if your journey will include hiking or being in limited proximity to places where drinks are easily obtainable. Although it’s easy to find suitable water containers, a new high-tech approach comes with the splashy name "Platypus® Flexible Hydration Systems." These containers are a water bottle/water "bag" hybrid. What makes them noteworthy is that they are flexible enough to squish into irregularly-shaped spaces in your camera pack. They are guaranteed leakproof and come in several styles and sizes. When empty, they actually roll up to a very small size. Unlike many plastic bottles, these impart no disgusting plastic taste. They are manufactured by Cascade Designs, 1-800-531-9531. They can be found at camping stores and on the web — LL Bean, Cabelas, Campmor and REI to name a few sources. They are reasonably priced.

For wilderness trips and for some travel to Third World countries, about half of the photographers I spoke with carry water purification filters. There are numerous brands and styles on the market, but this is truly one of those areas where "you get what you pay for." Some cheap ones only filter out "visible chunks" of debris; others claim they filter so completely they even trap microscopic Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium parasites. Most big camping and outfitting stores carry water filters and they range widely in price. Consult with the store clerk to find the one that’s right for your needs.

A bottle of 30 SPF (or more) sunscreen/sunblock is a true necessity. I always keep one in my suitcase and I put it in my pack when I arrive at my destination. Occasionally, I carry insect repellent as well. Both of these products are good candidates to place in doubled Ziploc bags as mentioned above. Bottled insect repellents with DEET should first be wrapped securely with aluminum foil as it can melt the plastic bags.

There are numerous other miscellaneous items I think fit the requirements of essential travel gear. My personal toilet kit always contains a bottle of Melatonin. I find this plant-extracted hormone a valuable sleeping aid and relief from jetlag. My luggage also contains a few Power Bars® for those rare times when I do not trust the local hygiene during food preparation. (Too much food in your luggage may cause customs importation problems when entering some countries, as well as attracting rodents and other vermin that can gnaw through your luggage in more primitive environs.)

Alcohol wipes, normally used to sterilize skin before administering injections, can be obtained from any pharmacy and make outstanding camera cleaning swabs. (Not for cleaning lens glass.) They are also useful for cleansing cuts and minor abrasions. Wayne Lynch, a former emergency physician, recommends an emergency dental repair kit. These are available from many dentists and require no training to use. Basically, it is dental putty you put over a broken tooth to ease the pain until you can see a dentist you trust.

One or two inexpensive carabiners — the clips used by mountain climbers — work well for temporarily repairing straps and handles on luggage and camera bags. They also work for hanging gear away from animals and for numerous other uses. It is not necessary to buy the expensive carabiners which support great weights and cost $40-$50 each. The cheap ones cost about $5-$10, and come in "designer colors."

Finally, my checked bag includes:

Jewelers screwdrivers for repairing cameras and eye glasses

Swiss Army Knife® and Leatherman ® tool

Rubber bands (elastics)

Small travel hair dryer that works on both 110 or 220 power for wet hair, wet boots and wet cameras

Two "baseball caps" (one for me and an extra in case of loss or to give to a friendly native)

Electrical Power Converter and adapter plugs

Travel alarm clock ( when possible, I also always request a wake-up call in addition to the clock so as to not miss the sunrise)

Leather chamois cloth (available at most auto parts stores) to dry and clean up camera gear when caught in a rainstorm

My chamois is also large enough to be used as an emergency first aid sling — for injuries related to hauling all of this gear!

Our iternary:

Please note our first day of departure schedule would be slightly different from the plan below. But, as I mentioned before, we will still reach Taman Negara at 12pm. Well, that was what the tour agent told me, so please don't flame me if it is not!!!

KUALA TAHAN
    T A M A N N E G A R A (BY TRAIN )

Day 01 Johor Bahru / Jerantut
    2045 hrs Depart to Jerantut by train. Overnight in the train.

Day 02 Jerantut / Kuala Tembeling Jetty/ Taman Negara (B/L/D)
    0245 hrs Greeting and welcome at Jerantut Railway Station, then transfer to hotel.
    0730 hrs Breakfast and transfer to Kuala Tembeling Jetty.
    0900 hrs Boat ride (river safari) to Kuala Tahan, the headquarters for Taman Negara.
    1200 hrs Welcome to Taman Negara! Check-in to the chalets. 1300 hrs, lunch.
    1430 hrs Gua Telinga (Ear cave) exploration. Home of various species including Dusky Fruits Bat, spider, black striped frog and cricket. Bring along a torch light as the cave is dark.
    1630 hrs Shooting the rapids. Experience 45 minutes of sheer thrill as you and your boat mates negotiate 7 sets of rapids to Kuala Terenggan, up stream of Sungai Tembeling. You must be prepared to get drenched! 1930 hrs, dinner.
    2045 hrs Introduction to Taman Negara through watching video show and posters at the Interpretive Room. Thereafter, night walk to Tahan Hide to observe wildlife. Bring along a torch light.
    2300 hrs Sleeping time.

Day 03 Taman Negara (B/L/D)
    0730 hrs Breakfast.
    0830 hrs Jungle trek to Teresek Hill (344M). From the hilltop and in clear sky, you may be able to see the peak of Gunung Tahan (2187M), the highest mountain in Peninsular Malaysia. On return trekking, you are invited to challenge the Canopy Walkway, the longest in the world. Which was installed above 30-50 from the ground.1330 hrs, lunch.
    1430 hrs Boat ride to Lata Berkoh Cascade and enjoy the natural beauty of our rainforest along the protected Sungai Tahan. Lata Berkoh is a great place for picnic.
    1930 hrs Dinner. Thereafter, you may carry out your own activites such as shopping for sourvenirs and go for a stroll around Taman Negara Resort.

** For 4 Days 3 Nights package **
    Day 04 Taman Negara / Kuala Tembeling/ Temerloh (B)
    0700 hrs Check-out and breakfast.
    0730 hrs Land transfer to Termeloh by van/taxi to catch coach to Johor Bahru.
    1030 hrs Leaving for Johor Bahru.

** For 5 Days 4 Nights package **
    Day 04 Taman Negara / Kuala Tembeling/ Jerantut (B/L)
    0800 hrs Check-out and breakfast.
    1200 hrs Lunch and check out. 1400 hrs, leaving Taman Negara by boat.
    1700 hrs Arriving at Kuala Tembeling Jetty and transfer to Jerantut Town check-in hotel.
    You can do your own shopping while awaiting for the mid-night train to Singapore.
    Day 05 Jerantut / Johor Bharu.
    0145 hrs Leaving Jerantut by train to Johor Bharu.
    0715 hrs Arrive at Johor Bharu.

dear Jas, I confused at this:

(Day 01 Johor Bahru / Jerantut
    2045 hrs Depart to Jerantut by train. Overnight in the train.)

I believed Day 01 is on Friday. If we leaved Singapore at 8.00pm on Thursday, what is the next thing we have to do once we reached Johore Baharu?

(Day 02 Jerantut / Kuala Tembeling Jetty/ Taman Negara (B/L/D)
    0245 hrs Greeting and welcome at Jerantut Railway Station, then transfer to hotel.)

What is B/L/D? Transfer to hotel?

(** For 4 Days 3 Nights package **)(** For 5 Days 4 Nights package **)

Which package are we in?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Originally posted by suhaimig
    dear Jas, I confused at this:

I believed Day 01 is on Friday. If we leaved Singapore at 8.00pm on Thursday, what is the next thing we have to do once we reached Johore Baharu?

0245 hrs Greeting and welcome at Jerantut Railway Station, then transfer to hotel.)

Which package are we in?

Thanks.

Cheers.
    Can someone help to reply the above? I am just beginning to pack my belonging.... shampoo, toothbrush and things like that.

Have not even packed my camera bag, hmmm.... what lens should I bring? Should I bring my Xpan too?

Dame, stop bugging me guys!

oh... I am bringing along 2 N95 masks. So be good to me guys, you will need me when you need the mask!

Originally posted by suhaimig

Which package are we in?
    For tour, thursday is Day 01

B/L/D means breakfast/lunch/dinner provided

We are on 5days one.

Originally posted by binbeto
    For tour, thursday is Day 01

B/L/D means breakfast/lunch/dinner provided

We are on 5days one.

Thanks info noted.

urgh, it's 1.30am now and i'm just starting to pack too... sigh.

see ya guys tomorrow.

Worried about the weather, hope no rain, at least not all-day rains.

btw, shall we bring torchlights?

Originally posted by tomshen
    Worried about the weather, hope no rain, at least not all-day rains.

btw, shall we bring torchlights?
    Yes.. or U can use the DSLR LCD too.

We have a night walk and the ear cave.. Visibility is low.

My torch is those small type. running on AAA but better than nothing.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast