Thread: Re: 4" X 6" Print

Default Re: 4" X 6" Print

Hi all anyone has this problem of resizing their digital images to a 4x6" print? the ratio of images taken by digital cams are 4:3 but when u want to print to 4x6" and directly resize the image gets warped. anyone has any magic formula?
    Believe it. And it will be so.

crop it to a 3:2 ratio in photoshop.

1. crop to 3:2 ratio in PS
    2. tell the shop handler that u want full size image
    3. go to shops that have paper that can take 4:3 size (fotohub)

I second the above comments.

I had sent odd sizes from my film scans to Fotohub before, you can request to print for full frame with white borders. You can chop those off after you get the photos back.

By the way, Fotohub also allow full frame prints from my Canon S45 (shorter than normal film prints) with the white borders removed as a standard. The other shop that I had tried don't want (or can't) do it.

yeah... thats one of the reason why they charge more than other shops

Your camera should have a built-in 3:2 aspect mode. Use it.

Despite that, some labs will still crop a around the edges. Make sure you do not crop too tight when shooting or when cropping in PS.

Originally posted by tualan
    Your camera should have a built-in 3:2 aspect mode. Use it.

Despite that, some labs will still crop a around the edges. Make sure you do not crop too tight when shooting or when cropping in PS.
    arR? i dun think have leh...it only gives the resolution settings available. using the 7Hi. which digicam you know has such a feature?

checked out the rates for Fotohub. Not very cheap leh..at 50c /print. Interesting fact to note is the pixel dimension they recommend to print at certain sizes. At 4R it's 1024x768...which works out to 4:3! at 5R it's 1200x800 which works out to 3:2!? now starting to get confused liao....at 6R it's still 3:2 at 1280x1024 but once it hits 8R it's 1600x1200 at 4:3 again!? *very confusing leh.... You can see it under the link to prices and resolution at Fotohub

Originally posted by Horus
    arR? i dun think have leh...it only gives the resolution settings available. using the 7Hi. which digicam you know has such a feature?

checked out the rates for Fotohub. Not very cheap leh..at 50c /print. Interesting fact to note is the pixel dimension they recommend to print at certain sizes. At 4R it's 1024x768...which works out to 4:3! at 5R it's 1200x800 which works out to 3:2!? now starting to get confused liao....at 6R it's still 3:2 at 1280x1024 but once it hits 8R it's 1600x1200 at 4:3 again!? *very confusing leh.... You can see it under the link to prices and resolution at Fotohub
    that is one confused photo lab.....

Actually, the labs tend to specify the MINIMUM resolution but fail to calculate the aspect ratio for u.

For your 4Rs use 1200X1800 for 300 DPI. On a fuji frontier, these are the max ideal settings.
    Last edited by Java_Guru; 25th March 2003 at 09:11 AM.

sorry to ask... i am quite new here...
    where to set to get 3:2 ratio?
    i select the "crop" tool and on top it shows me the "width" "height" etc etc...
    do i adjust that?

start from retangular marquee

Originally posted by authmn
    sorry to ask... i am quite new here...
    where to set to get 3:2 ratio?
    i select the "crop" tool and on top it shows me the "width" "height" etc etc...
    do i adjust that?
    For the crop tool, u need to enter the exact dimensions u intend to crop to. If u intend to use the crop tool, then you'll have to calculate dimensions of ur image file size in the ratio of 3:2.

e.g. if my original image size is 2048 x 1536 (4:3), then I'll crop to 2048 x 1366 (3:2) .

If u use the marquee tool, on the other hand, u can just select "fixed aspect ratio" and set it to 3:2.

Default re: digital prints

hi all here are some interesting questions from digipro which i posted to them 2 days ago.

Q: 1) Currently using the Minolta 7Hi digital cam which takes pictures with a ratio of 4:3. Intend to print 4R pictures which are 4"x6". Does digipro do auto resizing? Tried resizing the pictures without cropping but the pictures turn out warped. Does it mean I need to crop and resize before I send over for print?

Ans : Yes. We do re-size. Let me help you to understand a bit more on re-sizing...Given the 1.33(of 4:3 )ratio of your camera, your image size is 4"x5.2". So when you wish to print on a 4"x6" paper, you will have 2 options: 1) You can have the complete image on the paper with 0.4" blank-space on 2 of the longer sides (since the image is only 5.2" long); or you can 2) have all the corners in the paper filled up by magnifying the picture. But in this case, some cropping will happen on the shorter 2 sides.

Q: 2) How many lines print resolution should I set the image to? Intending to set TIFF images at around 300pixels/inch (in Photoshop). Other print centres I went to are suggested 300pixels/inch.

Ans : If you can printed no larger than 6R, 200 pixels would do. Otherwise 300 would be safer.

Q: 3) Does your print system support ICC profiles like Adobe RGB (1998) colour space and camera profiles?

Ans : I have attached our colour profile so you can use it for color editing on your screen.

*Kudos to them for sending me 2 ICC profiles of their printing paper and ink...one glossy and one for matt.

Originally posted by imaginary_number
    For the crop tool, u need to enter the exact dimensions u intend to crop to. If u intend to use the crop tool, then you'll have to calculate dimensions of ur image file size in the ratio of 3:2.

e.g. if my original image size is 2048 x 1536 (4:3), then I'll crop to 2048 x 1366 (3:2) .

If u use the marquee tool, on the other hand, u can just select "fixed aspect ratio" and set it to 3:2.
    oh ok... now i see.... so i need to calculate my own height and width for all other resolutions i used as well... ok...

newuser
    Guests

Originally posted by Horus
    F717 does.
    Though the 3:2 ratio takes up as much memory space as a 4:3, so I tend to take 4:3 and crop in photoshop.

If doing direct print, can take in 3:2 and just print it.

daredevil
    Guests

crop yourself to 3:2 ratio than letting others do it.
    give u a peace of mind.