Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Give a monkey a top end camera, can he shoot better than me??
    ... neither did he purchase the gear.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 14th May 2007 at 02:00 PM.

In CS we have

more techies than hobbyists
    more hobbyists than cameramen
    more cameramen than photographers
    more photographers than professionals

and usually the interest in equipment drop as you go down the list.
    Last edited by TMC; 14th May 2007 at 02:06 PM.

Give a monkey a top end camera, can he shoot better than me??
    Maybe .. just maybe. Its possible. But i would say the chance of shooting a better photo with a manual camera is much slimmer.
    Last edited by DeSwitch; 14th May 2007 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Maybe .. just maybe. Its possible
    But Monkey can only do business (Monkey business) and scratch it's friend's back

But Monkey can only do business (Monkey business) and scratch it's friend's back
    but they get paid peanuts ok? dun play play, later their stuff are classified as avant garde

"Expensive Equipment = Good photo?" is the same as "Cheap Equipment = Bad photo?"

One can use a cheap holga for that alternative effect he's looking for, or an expensive Hassy for the detailed rendition of the subject, both cases will yield equally impressive results, provided, the guy behind the camera knows what he's doing.

So there,...

I pity the fool who thinks he needs expensive equipment to take great pictures...

I pity the fool who thinks he's not good enough to own good equipment...

And most of all, I pity the fool who doesn't know what is needed to get the job done...

Blog Entries

Maybe .. just maybe. Its possible. But i would say the chance of shooting a better photo with a manual camera is much slimmer.
    it depends on who is behind that manual camera

No... but most good photos usually come from expensive equipment.
    Quite simply, people who depend on photography on their livelihood tend to spend a bit more on their equipment. So, there are more good photos coming out of expensive equipment.

That does not mean that expensive equipment produce more good photos. There are too many ignorant people who think that their pictures will become nicer if they spend more on their equipment, only to be disappointed. Sometimes, they don't know any better... but never mind lah... as long as they are happy spending their money.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    And just because the camera is manual, does not mean that it is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    And just because the camera is manual, does not mean that it is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    I was replying to the "monkey" not a person using the manual camera. Of course I agreed fully that a manual camera can give superb photo and some manual cameras are not cheap.

once a while this kind of thread will appear over and over in CS.....

common, is there anything to argue here? 3 pages of post, and NOBODY will say Expensive equipment = good photo.....

Why do people start this kind of thread? Izzit because they see lousy photographers buy expensive gear which they cannot afford? Jealous or what?

People buy "expensive" cameras for their own reason. If they want to churn out bad photos using a 10k system, it is their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post

And most of all, I pity the fool who doesn't know what is needed to get the job done...
    What's so foolish about that?

There are people who thinks their skill level is so good, that they don't need expensive equipment to take great pictures... They claim to take great pictures even with lousy equipment, but because they are so good, they deserve the best equipment (not that they can't take good pictures with cheap equipment if you know what I mean).

Then... they bring their monster lenses to events, but their results are Kana Sai... Worse still, they think their pictures are so very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    once a while this kind of thread will appear over and over in CS.....

common, is there anything to argue here? 3 pages of post, and NOBODY will say Expensive equipment = good photo.....

Why do people start this kind of thread? Izzit because they see lousy photographers buy expensive gear which they cannot afford? Jealous or what?

People buy "expensive" cameras for their own reason. If they want to churn out bad photos using a 10k system, it is their choice.
    Actually, it's better to tell people that expensive equipment is necessary to take good photos. Then rich kids will buy them, grow tired of them, and sell them in the secondary market... Then we can buy them cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    What's so foolish about that?

There are people who thinks their skill level is so good, that they don't need expensive equipment to take great pictures... They claim to take great pictures even with lousy equipment, but because they are so good, they deserve the best equipment (not that they can't take good pictures with cheap equipment if you know what I mean).

Then... they bring their monster lenses to events, but their results are Kana Sai... Worse still, they think their pictures are so very nice.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you need to. If there are more productive ways of achieving goals, one should consider them. If one sticks to meager means out of dogmatism, it is nothing to be proud of, hence I pity such fools.

But of course, as long as one knows what is needed, it is ENTIRELY up to the individual to have the freedom of choice. The key here is to know first, and act second. If you don't even know, well...

For the same shot, all parameters being the same, a good lens (usually expensive) definitely can make a photo better.

But I've no money to buy. LOL...

"Expensive Equipment = Good photo?" is the same as "Cheap Equipment = Bad photo?"

One can use a cheap holga for that alternative effect he's looking for, or an expensive Hassy for the detailed rendition of the subject, both cases will yield equally impressive results, provided, the guy behind the camera knows what he's doing.

So there,...

I pity the fool who thinks he needs expensive equipment to take great pictures...

Erm...are you a Mr T fan?

Sorry for the harshness of what I am going to say but this is hogwash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    Erm...are you a Mr T fan?
    Samuel L. Jackson fan

Samuel L. Jackson fan
    Does Samuel L Jackson use that phrase a lot too?

It is usually linked with Mr T - who was famous first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    Does Samuel L Jackson use that phrase a lot too?

It is usually linked with Mr T - who was famous first.
    Was never really an A-team fan. The word "fool" is used at two extremes of the spectrum. It's used generously among black American rap artists, and used eloquently in Shakespearian plays.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast