Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71

Thread: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    the lousy chef cuts himself deeper with an expensive and sharp knife, at least with a cheap and blunt knife, the cut is less painful
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

  2. #22

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Expensive Equips won't turn a new photograher into an instant pro. But not having good enough equips will limit capability.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

  3. #23

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Of course!







  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    810

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    the lousy chef cuts himself deeper with an expensive and sharp knife, at least with a cheap and blunt knife, the cut is less painful
    Actually, more times than not, cuts are caused by cheap and blunt knives rather than with sharp and really good knives. You don't have to hack with a sharp knife whereas you need to do so with a blunt one. If you hack, then the chances of a mishap is naturally higher.

    So the moral of the story is that although any camera can make good pictures, the chances with a good (and naturally more expensive) camera giving you better pictures are higher!

  5. #25
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    CCK-Yew Tee
    Posts
    1,693

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    So what is the good equipment good to have rather than the XX one?

  6. #26
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Pity the fool who looks at a beautiful image but only admires the equipment used to take the shot. It's just like looking at a Picasso masterpiece and asking what brushes he uses.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by syl View Post
    Actually, more times than not, cuts are caused by cheap and blunt knives rather than with sharp and really good knives. You don't have to hack with a sharp knife whereas you need to do so with a blunt one. If you hack, then the chances of a mishap is naturally higher.

    So the moral of the story is that although any camera can make good pictures, the chances with a good (and naturally more expensive) camera giving you better pictures are higher!
    you don't get it ... oh well, nevermind

  8. #28

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you don't get it ... oh well, nevermind
    Actually he was just discussing why the analogy, like many others in this thread, is flawed

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Actually he was just discussing why the analogy, like many others in this thread, is flawed
    you're not him, how do you know?

    i never say that it's a perfect analogy, tools are always double edged.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you're not him, how do you know?
    Huh..? Some things are plainly obvious..

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    " it is the man behind the camera, not the camera "

    it is about skills and experience, a better camera gives u "adds-on" like speed and range.


  12. #32
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    CCK-Yew Tee
    Posts
    1,693

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Actually he was just discussing why the analogy, like many others in this thread, is flawed
    U read my mind.. Just wondering Are we being poison by the BBB virus. Lots of ppl tat pose here uses XXX lenses. So did it give a strong signal tat we should use them if wanted to get good photo? Did u ever came across ppl saying that he uses, maybe say 28-85 f3.5, when he poses a picture here...

  13. #33

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    i thought it was

    Expensive equipment + bad Skills = Lousy expensive equipment?

    or

    Expensive equipment + Good skill = Lucky to those few idiots?


  14. #34

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by excelglsi View Post
    U read my mind.. Just wondering Are we being poison by the BBB virus. Lots of ppl tat pose here uses XXX lenses. So did it give a strong signal tat we should use them if wanted to get good photo? Did u ever came across ppl saying that he uses, maybe say 28-85 f3.5, when he poses a picture here...
    All that matters is the image. I could care less if it was taken with a 30s box Brownie, a 60s RF camera or the latest and greatest from Nikon or Canon.

    As a matter of fact, I would have more respect for the photographer who could produce a work of Art with an el cheapo camera - and many do.

    It is not the equipment one uses, but how it is used and how well you've mastered the equipment.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    I think this topic has been beaten to death, buried, dug up and beaten up once again.

    Look here -> Better equip=better pics?

    IMHO, it is unrealistic to say that "it's the man behind the lens" all the time. I think both play a part. If not, all the top fashion/press/sports photgraphers in the world would just use a compact camera. I could master a Fujifilm Quicksnap disposable camera, but would that get me anywhere?

    The term "expensive" is relative: It's not expensive if it's worth the money.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Expensive? How much are u looking at? A $50K Hassy is expensive? A $16K 1DsMkII? A $5K 5D? A $3K S5Pro? A $2.8K D200? A $1.6K 400D? Or a $1.2K Alpha-100? A sub-$1000 Prosumer Cam? A sub-$800 Compact Point and Shoot or u do mean a $20 disposable quickshot?

    Expensive equipment does not necessarily mean good photos, but similarly, holding extremely cheap cameras doesn't mean u'll be getting lousy photos all the way.

    Where 1 offers more control and gives the experienced user the flexibility in deploying his/her technical knowledge into creative composition, the other offers more automatic controls in allowing a lesser level of learning curve in learning how to shoot good photos or does away with the hassle of deploying full manual controls when the situation simply doesn't call for/warrant the need for extremely advanced controls when all one needs is just a quick shot.

    As for pricing-wise, there's only 4 words to explain: "Company's Targeted Marketing Segment". I'm sure the general crowd here is matured, educated with proper worldly knowledge to know precisely what do those 4 words mean without me having to type out an essay for it (I've got an exam dis week, plenty for me to do tons of writing, wanna save my energy for then).

    Use the right equipment for the right job at the right time. Ask urself if u'd like to go on a relaxing holiday carrying 4x 1000watt studio lights, a 1DsMkII with 2 sets of 10 different primes of different focal lengths and apertures.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    some photos just cant be taken with a cheapo while some ppl over kills shooting with expensive camera.

    eg; a static flower can be shot with any camera with a close up lens. so if you compare shooting it with a 1DMK3, thats an overkill. you dont need the fast focusing, the 10fps etc.

    So bottom line is do you know what is your camera designed for. You cant generallise the whole photography into using cheap or expensive camera. Anyway, cheap or expensive does not really exist in photography, the correct words should be Good or lousy. But usually the lousy ones are cheap while the good ones are expensive.. Note the word usually... not always.

    I do not want to argue and I had used lousy lens with disapointed results before. Overall it cost me more $$$ in the long run using lousy equipments.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Use the right equipment for the right job at the right time. Ask urself if u'd like to go on a relaxing holiday carrying 4x 1000watt studio lights, a 1DsMkII with 2 sets of 10 different primes of different focal lengths and apertures.
    No.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    some photos just cant be taken with a cheapo while some ppl over kills shooting with expensive camera.

    eg; a static flower can be shot with any camera with a close up lens. so if you compare shooting it with a 1DMK3, thats an overkill. you dont need the fast focusing, the 10fps etc.

    So bottom line is do you know what is your camera designed for. You cant generallise the whole photography into using cheap or expensive camera. Anyway, cheap or expensive does not really exist in photography, the correct words should be Good or lousy. But usually the lousy ones are cheap while the good ones are expensive.. Note the word usually... not always.

    I do not want to argue and I had used lousy lens with disapointed results before. Overall it cost me more $$$ in the long run using lousy equipments.
    i would say... buy what u want to achieve. Supposely.. u are shooting F1 racers... of cos u need something very fast becos u cannot miss a shot... however u also need to ask yourself for the sake of F1, are u are willing to spend 10k for those shots even it is jus a hobby and not a job.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 14th May 2007 at 01:48 PM.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Expensive Equipment = Good photo?

    Give a monkey a top end camera, can he shoot better than me??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •