Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 47891011141934 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Fletcher craves Scotch tonic

Darren Fletcher cannot wait to get United's FA Cup final defeat out of his system in Scotland's upcoming games.

The 23-year-old midfielder should feature as Walter smith's side face Austria in a friendly before resuming their promising Euro 2008 qualifying campaign against Faroe Islands.

Following the disappointment of last weekend's Wembley defeat to Chelsea, the Tartan Army's double-header can't come soon enough for Fletcher.

"You are looking for more games after the disappointment of the cup final," he told Sky Sports News. "You are looking for another game to try to erase that memory. Hopefully two good performances for Scotland will allow me to enjoy the summer.

"It's obviously the end of the club season but we have still got a massive qualifier and it's important we get three points, and the Austria game will be a good practice match before the real thing."

Having twice been held to away draws by the Faroes in recent seasons, Fletcher is wary of visiting the international minnows in complacent mood.

He said: "It will be a difficult trip. I'm sure the conditions will be difficult. If you don't go out there with the right frame of mind they can cause an upset.

"They have taken us to the small stadium with the bad pitch, which shows they feel they have a chance of causing an upset."

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Papers: Tussle for Gaby?

Wow ...din know so many int in Gaby!

Hmm...I hope he dun leave. Although he isn't the player he was, i still think he is good and have the agression. He lost quite a bit of pace this season and was guilty of conceeding some goals. Somemore it looks like Bale is signing for Spurs. p

looks like SAF is adament to get his man.... Berbatov

Saha has been a good servant but he spent more time in the treatment room than on the pitch. Perhaps its good time to let him go....

berbatov would be not bad, but 39m + saha for him??????
    for that money, can get a world class striker! i think its just a rumour
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    Looks like SAF wants to get him at all cost. Maybe, realistically, he has a better chance of buying Berbatov than E'to that's why he's going all out to land the Spurs' striker. Berbatov would be a better deal as he has proven himself in the EPL. If you get E'to, there is no guarantee that he will adapt to the English game and that's a risk you have to take.

too ex la... rather pay that amount for Torres and Ribery

toooo..ex liao...39m can get alot of players...
    Olympus E-P1 | 17mm
    Flickr

Yah I agree. 39m is almost 40m and that is Liv's rumoured budget! Too much for a SC like him. He is worth at most 25-28m to me.

39m can get Huntalaar, Nani and Ribery!

Freaking madness!

Review: Gabriel Heinze

"I know that I've given everything in every game I've played."
    Gabriel Heinze

Chants of ‘Argentina’ haven’t been as forthcoming this season with Gabriel Heinze in and out of the side as a result of injury and the form of Patrice Evra. Yet when it has really mattered, during the business end of the season, the 29-year-old has been worth his weight in gold.

Benched for the beginning of the season as a result of muscle-wastage after injury, Heinze made his first start in a 1-1 draw against Reading at the Madejski Stadium in September. After such a prolonged absence he found it hard finding his form and eight days later he was sidelined again, this time for three weeks with a hamstring injury sustained at Newcastle.

With Evra playing well in his absence Heinze’s starts were limited to cameo roles in the cup competitions as the first half of the season developed, but man-of-the-match performances against both Benfica and Copenhagen in the Champions League group stages saw him display all the ruthlessness, running and determination that have made him such a vital team member since his arrival.

He continued his improving form during the busy Christmas period and against City at home,
    in which United ran out 3-1 winners, it was Heinze that robbed Richard Dunne to cross for Louis Saha to score the decisive second.

Again he was forced to take a back seat in January as Evra was almost ever-present, but returned to the side against Watford in a comfortable 4-0 win. He played twice in February, scoring a long-range strike against Reading in an enthralling FA Cup replay at Reading’s Madejski Stadium before he came into his own in March.

Another man-of-the-match showing in the slender FA Cup win against Boro pre-empted a longer run in the side and Heinze’s stock also rose when he deputised in the centre of defence in the absence of Ferdinand and Vidic. Featuring alongside Wes Brown he played like a colossus against Sheffield United – keeping a clean sheet against an adventurous Blades attack.

“I know that I’ve given everything I possibly can in every game I’ve played,” he said. And you can’t ask for more than that…

Boss: Euro success will come

Sir Alex Ferguson has pledged that United can win the Champions League in the near future, having lost only to the eventual winners in the 2006/07 campaign.

After beating AC Milan 3-2 in an Old Trafford thriller, United's challenge was derailed for the semi-final second leg by a raft of injuries in defence. The Rossoneri won 3-0 on the night to set up this week's less than comprehensive win over Liverpool.

Falling so narrowly short of the final in Athens was one of the few disappointments for United in an enjoyable campaign that yielded a ninth domestic title.

"The players have already proved themselves by winning the Premiership," said Sir Alex. "But in my view they have the potential to go on to even greater heights.

"This is why we shouldn't be too downhearted about Europe. Yes, I thought we were capable of going all the way but people shouldn’t believe the doomsters who suggested Milan's brilliant win against us means that we have no chance of equalling them."

The boss believes United's run to the Champions League semi-finals - including the 7-1 thumping of AS Roma - indicated there are better things to come in Europe for his side.

"You have to keep things in perspective. Our super victory against Roma doesn't make us world-beaters, and Milan's performance doesn't make them light years better than us.

"Every team has its day and in Italy they were saying that the display against us was Milan's best for years. So, don't worry, it will come."

Owners: Club not for sale

The Glazer family insist they remain committed to Manchester United, contrary to reports in Friday's newspapers.

The back-page lead in the Daily Mirror claimed the club was essentially for sale, but a spokesman for the Glazers has since denied this.

"The Glazer family have a long-term commitment to Manchester United and that is not going to change," said the spokesman.

"Quite simply, they are not interested in selling the club. Why would they?

"They are determined to make United more successful, both on and off the pitch."

There are six Glazers on the board of Manchester United Limited: brothers Joel, Avram, Bryan, Kevin and Edward, and sister Darcie.
    What good did they do to Man U at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Owners: Club not for sale

What good did they do to Man U at the moment?

They bot my Man U shares and made me richer by $900

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Looks like SAF wants to get him at all cost. Maybe, realistically, he has a better chance of buying Berbatov than E'to that's why he's going all out to land the Spurs' striker. Berbatov would be a better deal as he has proven himself in the EPL. If you get E'to, there is no guarantee that he will adapt to the English game and that's a risk you have to take.
    well, true that berbatov has proven his potential this season, but its only 1 season and only in england. if we are aiming for european glory, we need someone exposed to champions league soccer.

i dun mind berbatov but not for that price!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Berbatov has experience in CL with Beyer Leverkusen but not at this price! 27m cash is alright but not plus Saha. But then dunno Saha have any takers or not.

Reds quartet could face Brazil

Four United players will return to Wembley this week when England face Brazil in a friendly before travelling to Estonia in a crucial qualifier for Euro 2008.

Wes Brown, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand and England B goalscorer Alan Smith are all in the senior squad named by Steve McClaren but Wayne Rooney misses out through suspension. There are also two former Reds in the 26-man party - Phil Neville and David Beckham, whose first call-up since the 2006 World Cup grabbed all the headlines.

Ferdinand is the only regular England starter among the current United quartet but Brown may join him in defence in the absence of Gary Neville. Carrick will compete, as usual, with Chelsea's Frank Lampard and Liverpool's Steven Gerrard for a central midfield berth. Meanwhile Smith's goal against Albania could boost his chances of being selected ahead of Peter Crouch or Michael Owen up front.

All four United players involved will hope for a better result than they achieved at their first visit to the new Wembley, in the FA Cup final; 0-1 was also the scoreline when England last played at the old stadium, against Germany, in October 2000.

England squad vs Brazil (Wembley, 1 June), Estonia (Tallinn, 6 June)

Robinson (Spurs), Carson (Liverpool), Green (West Ham); Neville (Everton), Ferdinand, Brown (Man Utd), Terry, Bridge Chelsea), Carragher (Liverpool), Dawson, King (Spurs), Shorey (Reading); Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), Jenas, Lennon (Spurs), Lampard, J Cole (Chelsea), Bentley (Blackburn), Carrick (Man Utd), Downing (Middlesbro), Dyer (Newcastle); Crouch (Liverpool), Owen (Newcastle), Smith (Man Utd), Defoe (Spurs).

Ryan helps to rescue Wales

Ryan Giggs helped to save Wales from an embarrassing home defeat as New Zealand twice took the lead at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground.

The United winger created the first equaliser for Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy, whose second goal ensured the friendly match ended 2-2.

Bellamy later said, "We should beat New Zealand, but you have to go out and earn the right to overcome teams like that - maybe we were complacent."

Former United reserves striker Daniel Nardiello, now with Barnsley, earned his first full international cap for Wales when he came on as a sub midway through the second half.

The next match for Giggs and co will be a competitive one - the Euro 2008 qualifier against the Czech Republic in Cardiff on Saturday 2 June.

Alan on target for England B

Alan Smith celebrated his return to international football by scoring the opening goal in England B's 3-1 win over Albania.

The United striker, earning his first cap of any kind since October 2005, partnered Newcastle's Michael Owen in attack at Turf Moor, Burnley. Smith broke the deadlock in the 34th minute, firing a low shot past Albania goalkeeper Arjan Beqaj from a touch-on by Aston Villa's Gareth Barry.

Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing doubled England's lead just three minutes later, before Besart Berisha pulled a goal back for the visitors just before the break.

Downing's second goal of the game, a glorious chip in the 58th minute, sealed the win for Steve McClaren's second-string side.

Smith will now hope for a place in the full England team in the Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia on 6 June, when his fellow United forward Wayne Rooney will be unavailable through suspension.

England B: Carson, Neville (Jagielka 46), Dawson, King, Shorey (Lescott 73), Bentley (Defoe 72), Jenas, Barry (Taylor 64), Lennon (Downing 10), Owen, Smith (Dyer 64).Subs not used: Green, Nugent.

Reds quartet could face Brazil
    Four United players will return to Wembley this week when England face Brazil in a friendly before travelling to Estonia in a crucial qualifier for Euro 2008.

Wes Brown, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand and England B goalscorer Alan Smith are all in the senior squad named by Steve McClaren but Wayne Rooney misses out through suspension. There are also two former Reds in the 26-man party - Phil Neville and David Beckham, whose first call-up since the 2006 World Cup grabbed all the headlines.

Ferdinand is the only regular England starter among the current United quartet but Brown may join him in defence in the absence of Gary Neville. Carrick will compete, as usual, with Chelsea's Frank Lampard and Liverpool's Steven Gerrard for a central midfield berth. Meanwhile Smith's goal against Albania could boost his chances of being selected ahead of Peter Crouch or Michael Owen up front.

All four United players involved will hope for a better result than they achieved at their first visit to the new Wembley, in the FA Cup final; 0-1 was also the scoreline when England last played at the old stadium, against Germany, in October 2000.

England squad vs Brazil (Wembley, 1 June), Estonia (Tallinn, 6 June)

Robinson (Spurs), Carson (Liverpool), Green (West Ham); Neville (Everton), Ferdinand, Brown (Man Utd), Terry, Bridge Chelsea), Carragher (Liverpool), Dawson, King (Spurs), Shorey (Reading); Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), Jenas, Lennon (Spurs), Lampard, J Cole (Chelsea), Bentley (Blackburn), Carrick (Man Utd), Downing (Middlesbro), Dyer (Newcastle); Crouch (Liverpool), Owen (Newcastle), Smith (Man Utd), Defoe (Spurs).

No progress for transfers at all. Seems like the Glazer rumoured sale had thrown Man Utd's plans into disarray.

Spurs are snapping up our transfer targets! Lost Bale and they're eyeing Nani now. I wonder if the rumours are started by them!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    No progress for transfers at all. Seems like the Glazer rumoured sale had thrown Man Utd's plans into disarray.

Spurs are snapping up our transfer targets! Lost Bale and they're eyeing Nani now. I wonder if the rumours are started by them!
    Yeah, it's so sad that we have lost out Bale to Spurs. So much talk by SAF about buying 3 new players and yet, besides Hargreaves, it looks like a case of NATO. Now we lost Bale and it seems that we are destined to lose Nani to Spurs, which is also showing interest in him.
    Last edited by redstorm; 28th May 2007 at 09:47 PM.

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 47891011141934 ... LastLast