Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25404548495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1007

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Betting: Ryan's century

Ryan Giggs has scored more league goals for United than any other current squad member.

The Welshman has found the net 98 times during league action, with the first arriving in 1990/91 when he notched the only goal of the game against Manchester City at Old Trafford. That was one of five Giggs scored in the old Division One; he's netted 93 times in the Premier League.

But when will Giggsy reach his century? United fan and Betfred Chairman Fred Done is offering odds on a number of selections, including 16/1 on Ryan hitting two against Everton this weekend. Just so you know, the last time Giggs scored two in the same league game was in March 2006 when the Reds beat Birmingham 3-0 at Old Trafford.

The odds shorten considerably for United's games against Birmingham (29 September), Wigan Athletic (6 Oct) and Aston Villa (20 Oct), or you can get 50/1 on Giggs never reaching the landmark.

Papers: Rooney to return?

Rooney: I'm Ready To Play
    Wayne Rooney last night told boss Alex Ferguson he is raring to return against his old club Everton on Saturday. Manchester United striker Rooney, 21, has been sidelined after breaking his metatarsal on the opening day of the season. But he has been out of plaster for a fortnight and training hard. Rooney is due to have another scan this week and Fergie will take advice from the United medical team before making a decision. He could certainly do with a fit Rooney - Carlos Tevez is also facing a gruelling return from Australia after his country’s match against the Socceroos tonight. At least Ferguson has Louis Saha back. The French frontman netted the winner against Sunderland in his first start since last February. Portugal wideman Cristiano Ronaldo is also available after serving a three-game suspension for his sending-off at Portsmouth.
    Neil Custis, The Sun

The Daily Mirror claims Rooney is set for a place on the bench at Goodison Park, while an injury to Tim Howard will see German goalkeeper Steffan Wessels make his Toffees debut against United.

Round up by Steve Bartram

Wah issit me or CS down since yesterday? Can't access!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Wah issit me or CS down since yesterday? Can't access!
    It was down 22hrs according to the other threads, din know till i come on yday at abt 1pm

Sporting dealt double blow

United's opponents in next week's Champions League Group F opener, Sporting Lisbon, have been dealt a double injury blow ahead of the start of this season's European campaign.

Brazilian striker Derlei, who scored Sporting's first goal in the new Portuguese season, has been ruled out of the group stages with torn cruciate ligaments in his left knee, while full-back Pedro Silva has suffered a similar fate and will also be out for six months.

Derlei, a summer recruit from Dynamo Moscow, was a part of FC Porto's UEFA Cup and Champions League winning sides, so has plenty of experience on the European stage.

The 32-year-old sustained his injury in training last week and tests have revealed the worst likely outcome. He will be out until in the New Year.

Also facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines is fellow summer signing Pedro Silva, who recently underwent surgery on his knee. The 25-year-old Brazilian full-back also picked up his injury during training. He will miss all six Group F matches against United, AS Roma, and Dynamo Kiev.

After three games, Sporting are third in Portugal's Liga after beating Academica 4-1 on the opening day of the season, followed by 1-0 defeat to rivals Porto, and a 1-0 win over lowly Belenenses.
    Looks like they r struggling like us! This is a match of who made the least mistake win! And no matter what we need to secure 3pts on 20th Sept 0245hrs singapore time.

Rooney could be back this wkend!Its the return of Rooney n Ronaldo!
    finally might be able to see Rooney,Tevaz Ronaldo and Nani play together!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    Rooney could be back this wkend!Its the return of Rooney n Ronaldo!
    finally might be able to see Rooney,Tevaz Ronaldo and Nani play together!
    Hmmm......think SAF will R & R together wif Tevez Nani may come on later as a sub!

I read that Fegie kenna assulted! Kenna low blow I think? But he is alright.

I read that Fegie kenna assulted! Kenna low blow I think? But he is alright.
    u mean somebody kicked him in between his legs??..... hope it's not beckham

Reds attack nears full force

With Louis Saha making a goalscoring return against Sunderland, Cristiano Ronaldo now free from suspension and Wayne Rooney’s comeback from injury reportedly not far off, Reds skipper Gary Neville hopes United can now go on a long winning run.

The 32-year-old, yet to play this season due to niggling calf and thigh injuries, is hoping to return in “a week or two”. But he says the support for Carlos Tevez from Saha and Rooney and the potent attacking threat of Ronaldo will make a real difference to the Reds in the coming weeks.

“I think we needed the wins against Tottenham and Sunderland,” Neville told MUTV. "It’s obvious that we didn’t hit the best of form during the first few weeks of the season but I think there are reasons for that. We’ve had injuries to Louis Saha, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Wayne Rooney so Carlos Tevez has been up there on his own,” he adds. “He finished the Copa America, came over here and has had to be thrown straight in at the deep end, up front on his own.

“It’s been difficult for us not having three of our forwards available. You could see in the last game the difference Louis made when he came on, and I think with Wayne coming back soon I’m sure we’ll get even stronger. We have to make sure we don’t fall too behind the leaders at this stage.”

Ronaldo, who was United’s joint-top goalscorer with Rooney on 23 goals last term, is also back from a three-game ban for his sending off against Portsmouth. The culmination of those three attacking players returning, Neville feels, will make all the difference. “Cristiano getting suspended obviously added to our problems," he said. "But I think it will all come together in the next few weeks. Hopefully we'll pick up the level of performance and get back to freescoring ways.”

Sir Bobby rooting for Ryan

Sir Bobby Charlton is counting down the games until Ryan Giggs passes his longstanding United appearance record.

The United legend is already preparing to honour the Welsh winger, despite Giggs still needing another 39 appearances to overtake Charlton.

"I would love it if Ryan got the record," said Sir Bobby, at a promotion for his new autobiography: 'My Manchester United Years'.

"It would be so fitting and I would be pleased to have the opportunity to go onto the pitch and present him with something. In fact, if they didn't ask me, I would pester them until they did.

"When I finished I could not believe anyone would play more games than that. I did so much running for so many years, I just didn't think it would be possible.

"But Ryan is almost there now. To physically put your body through what he has is very difficult and that is why I am so delighted for him."

Sir Bobby, who made 759 appearance for United, can still remember his first sighting of Giggs, on his way to meet Sir Alex Ferguson at United's Littleton Road training ground.

"I set off for Pitch 11, where Alex was, and got about halfway there when I saw this little lad pick up the ball, beat about four men and then shoot," he recalled.

"The goalkeeper made a great save but I could not get up to see Alex quick enough. I asked him who it was and it turned out to be Ryan. He had just been signed that morning from under the noses of Manchester City. I just thought 'that will do me'.

"I could never have imagined he would play so many times. Football is just so non-stop in England. It is all about pace now. But if that little lad has run as much as I did, he has been some player."

Tomorrow 7pm @ goodison park!

Think they will be conserving energy for next thurs UEFA.

While we will be away to Sporting.

Should be able to claim full pts for both games!

Should be a 2-0 win at everton, and 1-0

Bobby Charlton is right. Giggs is a legend.
    Olympus Now and Forever

Quote Originally Posted by iskofil View Post
    Yah, low blow. But not kick, punch I think.

Rooney returns to Man Utd squad

Quote Originally Posted by Eloriel View Post
    Bobby Charlton is right. Giggs is a legend.
    Yes he is and I dun think anyone can dispute that.

Quote Originally Posted by iskofil View Post
    Here is the full story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6991198.stm

Boss: Ronaldo's return is a boost

Sir Alex Ferguson says Cristiano Ronaldo could make a big difference to United's attack when he returns from a three-match suspension this weekend.

The Portuguese winger hasn’t played for the Reds since being shown a red card against Portsmouth on 15 August.

Despite beating Tottenham Hotspur and Sunderland in the meantime, United have not looked as threatening in front of goal as they did at the start of last season, most likely due to the absence of Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney.

Both could play against Everton on Saturday, and Ronaldo is being tipped by Sir Alex to inject impetus into the team’s forward play.

“Without question, Cristiano’s return is a big plus for us,” said the boss.

“You miss players that make a difference, create opportunities, score goals and change the pattern of games.

“With Ronaldo back that gives us some better attacking options than we have had in the last three games.”

Sir Alex says that Ronaldo may have to deal with the kind of provocation that led to his sending off against Portsmouth, which the United boss still feels was unjust, but is confident the winger has the temperament and attitude to cope.

“That’s a possibility [that players could try to provoke him],” he added.

“I think that some players might try to do that. But that’s up to Ronaldo to control himself, to know what a good player he is. He knows that he’s only helping them by reacting to it. Also, you look for a strong referee that can sense the mood of the game.”

Rooney in squad to face Everton
    Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Wayne Rooney will travel to Goodison Park for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League fixture against Everton.

The 21-year-old, who has been out since fracturing his foot against Reading on the opening day of the season, has been training well for the Reds this week, according to Sir Alex. He is in the squad to face his former club, but the manager admitted he is unsure how Rooney will be used, if at all, against his former club.

"Rooney has trained very well," the Reds boss told reporters on Friday. "He'll travel with us to Goodison, but whether I start him, put him on the bench or leave him out until Wednesday, that's something I have to decide."

Speaking at his pre-match press conference, the manager also confirmed that Louis Saha is ready for action after completing 45 minutes against Sunderland earlier this month, while the Reds are boosted by Cristiano Ronaldo's return from a three-match suspension.

Owen Hargreaves, who missed both of England's Euro 2008 qualifiers this week with a thigh strain, trained on Friday morning but remains doubtful for the Reds' trip to Merseyside.

"There's not a lot wrong with Owen," added the boss. "He trained well today (Friday). But I don't know whether we'll risk that against Everton. It's more likely he'll play in Lisbon on Wednesday."

The news isn't quite so good for Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea, who were both injured on Wednesday night playing for their countries. Fletcher limped off against France and could be out for six weeks, while O'Shea appeared to pick up a knee injury in the Republic Of Ireland's loss to the Czech Republic and also faces a couple of weeks on the sideline.

Owen expects tough Toffees test

Owen Hargreaves faces a race to be fit for Saturday's clash with Everton at Goodison Park, and if he does make the match he knows he'll be in for a tough afternoon.

Despite having not played against David Moyes' side, the 26-year-old midfielder is well aware of the the threat posed by Everton, who currently lie third in the Premier League.

"The rest of the lads have all said that Everton away is a tough game, especially with the way they play," he told this week's Red View newsletter.

"They’ve signed some good players recently. Until they signed Yakubu they played mainly with just Andy Johnson up front, but with this being a home game they’ll probably play two up. Yakubu has a great physical presence and he’s been a good goalscorer in the past."

It's certain to be no easy ride for the Reds, as was discovered last season at Goodison Park when United had to come from two goals down to clinch a crucial 4-2 win en route to the league title.

"Everton are a good, hard-working team," added Hargreaves. "They play together, don’t make a lot of mistakes, defend very well and they’re a strong team.

"They keep it quite simple, but they obviously have two good strikers going forward. It’ll be a very tough game, but whenever Manchester United show up you’re expected to win games, and we’ll expect to win at Everton."

Another 1-0 win. We're doing a Liverpool! Seems like we have run out of attacking ideas. Just dun have last season's flowing and fluent attack. Hiaz....

Another 1-0 win. We're doing a Liverpool! Seems like we have run out of attacking ideas. Just dun have last season's flowing and fluent attack. Hiaz....
    no we're showing championship material
    We play badly and still win!