Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34567101530 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    Pool vs mu at Anfield...if not for vds good goalkeeping and reina mistake,the match could go the other way...but as every knows...its the goal and result that matters..

If u say Pool fans are glory hunters...u are wrong in a sense that i still support Pool from 75 right thru the bad years and till today...forever...

fyi,i only support Liverpool from england...and Singapore la...ermmm sometimes Tampines Rovers coz i used to play for a team with the same name during my school days when there's no s-league yet...it's the old 1st division...
    I say some Pool fans are glory hunters only when some said that Man Utd fans are glory hunters la. Wah lao read what i wrote carefully.

Pool vs mu at Anfield...if not for vds good goalkeeping and reina mistake,the match could go the other way...but as every knows...its the goal and result that matters..

If u say Pool fans are glory hunters...u are wrong in a sense that i still support Pool from 75 right thru the bad years and till today...forever...

fyi,i only support Liverpool from england...and Singapore la...ermmm sometimes Tampines Rovers coz i used to play for a team with the same name during my school days when there's no s-league yet...it's the old 1st division...

Steady lah Rodz. When u started to support LFC they began an era of glory starting from Kevin Keegan,J Toshack, R Clemence...Last 18 years you have seen barren years except for FA Cup here, League Cup there, European Cup Winners Cup and EC and a nos of managerial changes.

I started support MU beginning from 1977 FA Cup. Through the 80s I still support MU and envied/respected Dalghish n Co.....That nuclues of LFC team really went out to play for the League and EC.

This Man U team is still maturing. So more exciting weekends to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    I say some Pool fans are glory hunters only when some said that Man Utd fans are glory hunters la. Wah lao read what i wrote carefully.
    i also said that u r wrong bcoz i still support Pool thru the lean years what??? wah lao eh... read carefully also leh fren...

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    Steady lah Rodz. When u started to support LFC they began an era of glory starting from Kevin Keegan,J Toshack, R Clemence...Last 18 years you have seen barren years except for FA Cup here, League Cup there, European Cup Winners Cup and EC and a nos of managerial changes.

I started support MU beginning from 1977 FA Cup. Through the 80s I still support MU and envied/respected Dalghish n Co.....That nuclues of LFC team really went out to play for the League and EC.

This Man U team is still maturing. So more exciting weekends to look forward to.
    LoL roDz steady bro...so i'm not glory hunters...i'm still and always will be Pool fan even if we dont win a single trophy the next 10 yrs...
    good to know mu team still maturing...coz Pool is as well...i think arse also...chelski have got a team in their primes...next 3-5 yrs we'll see who wins more silverware...

LoL roDz steady bro...so i'm not glory hunters...i'm still and always will be Pool fan even if we dont win a single trophy the next 10 yrs...
    good to know mu team still maturing...coz Pool is as well...i think arse also...chelski have got a team in their primes...next 3-5 yrs we'll see who wins more silverware...
    As long as SAF stays around, got chance to win EPL.

As long as Mauriho around and his boss willing to spend, also got chance to win trophies

Arsenal will be serious contenders in 2/3 years time

LFC as long as Rafa still around will continue to do well in CL .

i also said that u r wrong bcoz i still support Pool thru the lean years what??? wah lao eh... read carefully also leh fren...
    There is no right or wrong la as Man Utd also have fans that stick with the club but I felt that u misread my post thats all.

Liverpool will have a chance if Benitaz abandon the defensive 'Lets not lose the game first' mentality.

Chelsea will be very strong next season. Defending the title is more difficult than winning it and it is even more difficult when u playing exciting attacking football.

Arsenal is a little bit in limbo these days. Have to wait and see what happens in the summer.

Apparently, the ex-ManU players are doing very well as managers judging from their performance. Steve Coppell of Reading was voted as Manager of the Year, Keane managed Sunderland so well, from the near bottom of Div 1 when he took over, to promotion to Premier League next season, the same goes for Steve Bruce of Brimingham City and Mark Huges is also doing quite ok. These guys must have learnt alot from the master, SAF. I got a feeling when SAF steps down, one of these guys is gonna take over him. Wanna bet?

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Apparently, the ex-ManU players are doing very well as managers judging from their performance. Steve Coppell of Reading was voted as Manager of the Year, Keane managed Sunderland so well, from the near bottom of Div 1 when he took over, to promotion to Premier League next season, the same goes for Steve Bruce of Brimingham City and Mark Huges is also doing quite ok. These guys must have learnt alot from the master, SAF. I got a feeling when SAF steps down, one of these guys is gonna take over him. Wanna bet?
    Well as they said got such master also got such disciple. This is what champions are made of from good player to good management!

i VOTE for Keane to take over SAF

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Well as they said got such master also got such disciple. This is what champions are made of from good player to good management!

i VOTE for Keane to take over SAF
    Yeah, I would also like Keano to be the next manager. Compared to Coppell, Huges and Bruce, I think he makes a better manager and has the will to succeed. Apparently, he has the same fiery temperament as SAF. Maybe, he will also adopt the same hair dryer treatment.

haha i'm not so sure about Keane. SAF will retire in a few years time and it might be too fast for him at a big club like Man Utd. Must see how he fare next season 1st.

I think the board will go for an established manager.

Papers: Giggs eyes record

Giggs Sets A Mark
    Ryan Giggs wants another FA Cup winner’s medal because it would see him pass former team-mate Mark Hughes’ record haul of four. Giggs, 33, does not care about such numbers normally but admits this is different. He said: "Sparky has got a great record in the FA Cup. At the moment I don’t look at numbers but I’m sure I will when I’m finished playing. And as a club we want to be the first winners at the new Wembley."
    Andrew Dillon, The Sun

As reported first by ManUtd.com on Tuesday, Gary Neville has lost his fight to be fit for Saturday's Wembley showpiece.

Former Chelsea boss Ruud Gullit has warned Jose Mourinho's men that United will have ‘total supremacy’ over them if the Blues lose at Wembley.

Sir Alex Ferguson took a pre-cup Final swipe at Chelsea by claiming United did football a favour by taking the Premiership title off them.

Giggs the great to skipper Reds (the onli survival of the repeat of 1994 cup final 4-0 to Man u)

Twenty years ago Sir Alex Ferguson eyed a 13-year-old spindly young winger rampaging down the left flank and knew one thing for certain: this boy was going to make it.

Two decades on and Ryan Giggs, the player Sir Alex was so adamant would live up to his expectations, will lead United out at Wembley, eyeing a fifth FA Cup winners’ medal, which would equal the record set by Arthur Kinnaird, a principal of the Football Association and a leading footballer in the late 1800s.

"Ryan will be captain," confirmed the boss. "And it completes a marvellous season for the lad.”

It certainly does. An English league record ninth title success came in a season where Giggs ticked over the 700 appearances mark. After Saturday, he will be just 45 matches off beating Sir Bobby Charlton’s all-time club appearances record - hopefully with another FA Cup success to his name.

Sir Alex often describes signing a young Giggs as his first major coup as manager at Old Trafford, ensuring he did not go to local rivals Manchester City.

“We pay particular attention to local talent,” said the Scot. “You hope that when you run a youth programme you're going to produce players that play for a long time in the first-team and be successful.

“When Ryan came to us as a 13-year-old lad, he’s the only player we’ve ever had that I knew was a certainty to make it, even at 13. I said to Bobby Charlton, ‘you need to come and see this kid play’.

"It’s very difficult to see a 13-year-old boy and say he is a certainty to make, very difficult. I’ve never said it since, but he is the one player I did say it about. All our opinions were absolutely correct.

"The contribution he has made to us since... it's an amazing thing that he carries on looking after himself and his fitness,” said Sir Alex. “Hopefully he has a very successful day on Saturday. But it doesn’t matter if you’re equalling someone else’s record, if you get five winners’ medals then that is brilliant.”

“He stands high [in the list of United legend], regardless of what happens on Saturday. The number of games he has played alone says that. For the last 15 or 16 years he has been going up and down that wing, and there is no player who has done that in the Premiership. It’s unbelievable.”

And the boss believes Giggs will be a vital figure in helping guide the likes of Wayne Rooney and Cristiano to even more success at the club in years to come.

“Players like Wayne and Cristiano are influenced by what he has achieved,” he said. “There is no doubt that, in a quiet way as he often does, he will give advice to all the players - the right advice as well.”
    Last edited by melvin; 18th May 2007 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    haha i'm not so sure about Keane. SAF will retire in a few years time and it might be too fast for him at a big club like Man Utd. Must see how he fare next season 1st.

I think the board will go for an established manager.
    I dun think it is a major concern ... as he have been taking charge on the field commanding the lads during his playing days in Man U. It is oni a matter of time he will perform or even out perform the Gaffer! And take Man U to a different level at Europe!
    Last edited by melvin; 17th May 2007 at 05:47 PM.

Boss: Knowledge is power

Having seen off the relentless challenge of Chelsea, United's young team are now armed with the blueprint for Premiership success, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.

The United Manager expects his side to kick on next season, buoyed by the euphoria of seeing off the attentions of Jose Mourinho's side this term.

"A lot of them have just won their first title, that must help them," he said. "It gives them the confidence and also lays down a certain system of how you can win the league.

"They’ve shown great resilience right through 29 weeks at the top of the league with someone breathing right down your neck, and that’s not easy.

"These are things that I’m sure will help them, and they’re young enough for us to expect development anyway.

"I think they’re helped by the experience of Scholes, Giggs, Neville and Solskjaer, and I think they’ll be alright for a couple of years at least."

Sir Alex feels that his side have developed a promising marriage between graft and guile, with the results clear to see in the recent title run-in.

"There are some indications there this season where they’ve had to battle through games," he said. "Like at Manchester City, for instance, when they were dead on their feet but they found the energy just to get through the game to win 1-0.

"That’s a good guideline in terms of the best Manchester United teams. Of course ability-wise, yes we have some excellent ability in the team and they’ve got good ages, so they can stay together for a few years this team.

"I think by doing that they’ll develop their friendships, get stronger together and become a strong unit. I expect them to improve."

Somewhat predictably, Sir Alex expects next season's challenge to come from the clustered giants who have invariably occupied the top four in recent seasons.

"Obviously with Chelsea’s resources it’s possible they could rebuild another team, but they’ll be challenging next year – no doubts in my mind about that," he said.

"Arsenal are a young team who might possibly add to their squad, Liverpool will add to their squad but I see Chelsea as our main challenger next year."

Young Red faces Russia

United youngster Sam Hewson earned another England cap on Tuesday night as the Under-19s lost 2-0 to Russia in the European Championship Elite Round.

Hewson's performance was solid if unspectacular, in front of 4,780 people at the Banks' Stadium, home of Walsall FC. He was substituted after 65 minutes of the encounter, in which he featured in a right midfield slot.

A deflected Pavel Mamaev effort on the half-hour and Artem Dzyuba's 73rd minute free-kick won it for Russia but England had their moments.

It could have been a different story had Hewson been able to get on the end of a through-ball from Chelsea's Michael Mancienne in the 21st minute. The United midfielder also had a speculative effort from distance which went just over the bar on the hour.

Hewson should be in action for England Under-19s again on Thursday night in the must-win match against Holland at Coventry City's Ricoh Arena.

England Under-19s: Jamie Annerson (Sheffield United), Elliot Omozusi (Fulham), Scott Golbourne (Reading), Fabrice Muamba (Birmingham City), Jack Hobbs (Liverpool), Michael Mancienne (Chelsea), Sam Hewson (Manchester United) (Chris Martin, Norwich City 64), Michael Johnson (Manchester City), Danny Haynes (Ipswich Town), Hogan Ephraim (West Ham United), Adam Hammill (Dunfermline) (Rossi Jarvis, Norwich City 81)
    Think SAF should keep a look out for the youngsters n start naturing them.

Evra eyes fairytale finish

Patrice Evra admits beating Chelsea in Saturday's FA Cup final would be the perfect end to the season for United.

Victory at Wembley would seal the domestic Double for Sir Alex Ferguson's side, and Evra concedes the Reds' squad is hungry to finish the campaign on a high note.

"The dream is not finished," Evra told Sky Sports News. "I hope the dream is finished on Saturday with us winning against Chelsea.

"It's true this season that we knew to win the title, but on Saturday you have one very important game.

"It's not every day you have the chance to win the Double like that."

Evra admits that United are being driven by hunger to be the first team to win the FA Cup at the renovated Wembley Stadium.

He said: "We have a big motivation because you have a big chance to win the Double and you play in the new Wembley.

"You don't want to lose the first game in the new Wembley. We have a lot of motivation to play against Chelsea. It's a big final."

Papers: Wazza's Cup mission

Roo Eyes Cup Glory
    Wayne Rooney wants to erase the memory of United's FA Cup Final defeat of two years ago. Rooney has been to two FA Cup Finals before - both of them defeats for United - and the England striker wants to make sure his side do not suffer fresh heartbreak at the new Wembley. As a nine-year-old Everton fan, Rooney watched the Merseysiders cause a major upset in 1995 when they beat United 1-0. And in 2005 he watched as Arsenal defeated United in a penalty shoot-out after Fergie's men had outplayed them for 120 minutes. Rooney said: "The defeat to Arsenal two years ago was disappointing but now we have the chance to make up for it. It was hard to take and we want to put that right at Wembley."
    David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

Ahead of the game, Jose Mourinho has told Cristiano Ronaldo to cut out the diving. The Chelsea boss took a blast at United’s double Footballer of the Year in the build-up to Wembley, saying: "Ronaldo is a big player. But if he wants to be a bigger one, he must be fair with his opponents."

The Sun claims Patrice Evra has won the battle with Gabriel Heinze to start at left-back. And Darren Fletcher is likely to get the nod over Alan Smith in midfield.

Sir Alex Ferguson admits he is dreading a penalty shootout on Saturday. The United boss has lost all three competitive penalty shoot-outs he has been involved in during his United reign and the Old Trafford boss fears further heartbreak if Saturday's final is decided by spot-kicks.

In other news, The Sun claims United are facing a battle with Newcastle to land Mark Viduka. Middlesbrough’s Aussie ace becomes a free agent next month and is still refusing to commit his long-term future to the Teessiders.

We are going to Wembley tomorrow. Hope we will be the first team to win the FA Cup at the new venue.

Go, devils, go.

Wah piang! Mark Viduka and Michael Owen! Why are we linked with dodgy strikers? I rather take Darren Bent!

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34567101530 ... LastLast