Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 183338414243444548 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Fergie wants refs to protect Ronaldo

MANCHESTER, Aug 17 (Reuters) - Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has called for greater protection from referees to prevent Cristiano Ronaldo from sustaining serious injury.

The Portuguese winger was sent off for violent conduct at Portsmouth on Wednesday and while Ferguson had no quibbles about the red card, he believes his player was provoked by a series of heavy challenges that went unpunished by referee Steve Bennett.

'My fear is, and I don't whether there is a directive, but maybe referees are a bit more tolerant of the physical contact,' Ferguson told reporters on Friday.

'I've noticed this in the last few months -- late challenges are going unpunished. I thought these things were black and white. Late challenges are not allowed.

'We saw it again on Wednesday night, the referee letting it go unpunished time and time again. If you have got weak referees then you are going to be suffering.'

Ferguson added: 'There is a concern players like Ronaldo are going to be the victims... because it will end up with someone getting a serious injury.'

The fiery Scot had every sympathy with Ronaldo, who was dismissed for an apparent headbutt in the closing stages of the 1-1 draw.

'It's very difficult to completely punish Ronaldo or be angry with him,' Ferguson said. 'Some of the things that are happening to him are not right.'

Ronaldo will miss Sunday's derby at Manchester City through suspension and the champions with be further weakened in attack without injured pair Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha.

Ferguson was impressed with Carlos Tevez's debut at Portsmouth and could partner him with Ryan Giggs as United look for their first win of the season.

After opening with two draws they already trail Chelsea and Manchester City, who have taken maximum points under new manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, by four points.

'We are dropping points and that's frustrating because the performance levels were very good,' Ferguson added. 'The important thing is just to be patient now.

'The players will come right. It's frustrating, but it's recoverable of course.'

Sir Alex to accept but not share Sven's gift

Sir Alex Ferguson will gladly accept an expensive bottle of wine from Sven-Goran Eriksson on Sunday - but he has no intention of sharing it with the former England coach.

The duo had a stormy relationship during Eriksson's five-and-a-half years in charge of the national side and go head-to-head in a Manchester derby for the first time this weekend as resurgent City face a United side who are without a win so far this term.

Eriksson is reportedly ready to mark the occasion by splashing out £400 on a bottle of vintage red to hand the Red Devils boss. But if he thinks Ferguson will open it during their post-match chat, the Swede is sadly mistaken.

'I am not aware of the wine,' he said.

'If he gives me a present I will accept it, but I will not be sharing it with him. I will take it home instead.'

Given their past history, Ferguson steered clear of offering any major personal analysis of Eriksson's managerial record, preferring instead to focus his attention on City as a whole.

Eriksson, he noted, is the Blues' 12th manager during his own near 21-year stint as United boss - a tenure which reached a glorious peak on his side's last visit to Eastlands in May when a single-goal win effectively sealed his ninth championship crown.

'Last year was amazing,' he laughed.

'They spent a fortune on those blue-and-white scarves for all the fans and they never had a shot at goal, or tried to beat us.

'We were trying to win the league, and they were quite happy.'

Ferguson's assessment may be stretching a point slightly, given Edwin van der Sar saved a late Darius Vassell penalty which would have earned City a draw.

Nevertheless, the relatively timid manner of that defeat hastened Stuart Pearce's departure.

Despite public doubts over his record with England, Eriksson has had an immediate impact at the Blues.

Successive wins over West Ham and Derby mean even if City were to lose on Sunday, they would still head their local rivals in the table.

Yet as Ferguson is only too aware, success brings its own pressures - and given the desperation of the City fans to end a 31-year trophy drought, the heat is on.

'It is a big season for every City manager that comes along, especially so this time because they have spent a bagful of money on players,' he said.

'No matter what people say, there is an expectation now because they have won their first two games. They have to manage that. That is more difficult.'

Having noted Eriksson had talks with Aston Villa and 'another club' he opted not to name, Ferguson is not surprised to see the Swede returning to life as a manager in England.

What has caught him slightly on the hop is the sheer number of unknown players Eriksson has brought in from abroad, which makes planning for Sunday's encounter slightly difficult.

'I know about (Martin) Petrov and (Rolando) Bianchi,' he said.

'They were on the radar screen for everyone for a long time. But I don't know about the rest of them. Time will tell.'

Despite investing heavily himself this summer, Ferguson finds his own options restricted.

Cristiano Ronaldo begins a three-match ban following his dismissal at Portsmouth - joining Gary Neville, Wayne Rooney, Louis Saha, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves on a long list of absentees.

Hargreaves' recovery from a tendinitis problem is proving frustratingly slow, although Ferguson is confident the £18million summer arrival from Bayern Munich will not need to have an injection.

'We think we are on the right road to sorting it out,' he said.

'The better prevention is to do it naturally.

'Owen has been training reasonably well, and we are prepared to go along that course until it deteriorates. If that happens - in any way, shape or form - we have to consider an injection.'

Ferguson will place his trust in Carlos Tevez - who performed creditably on his debut at Portsmouth, setting up Paul Scholes for United's opener.

But while Tevez's fellow Argentinian Gabriel Heinze is fit, it appears highly unlikely Ferguson would name him in his squad just 23 hours before a Premier League panel will determine whether the 29-year-old should be free to join Liverpool.

Boss: Don't panic

United may have drawn the first two league games of the season but Sir Alex insists it's no cause for alarm.

"I’m looking at the performances of the team in the first two games and saying to my players, ‘Well done’," the boss said at Friday's press conference.

"We’re dropping points and that’s disappointing and frustrating because the performance levels have been very good. The important thing is to be patient now. The situation is recoverable, of course."

United go into Sunday's Manchester derby without Cristiano Ronaldo, who was sent off at Fratton Park, but Sir Alex was pleased the Reds left Portsmouth with a clean bill of health. Unfortunately, however, none of the long-term injured players have recovered sufficiently to resume match play.

Louis Saha has been training with the first-team squad but is unlikely to take part on Sunday, while new signing Anderson is struggling with a hamstring strain. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's knee is still troubling the Norwegian and Wayne Rooney could be out for two months after breaking a bone in his foot last weekend. That said, not all the news is bad.

"Owen Hargreaves is still feeling the problem of tendonitis in his knee but he is doing some bits of training, which is encouraging," the boss added. "Gary Neville has also been doing bits of training but he's not really near [to playing on Sunday]."
    SAF is SAF so relax n confident!

Just when everyone thinks man u is down and out,They'll roar back with a resounding victory!!And against Man city too!!

our game was too patient, we got punished
    city defended very well with their 2 CBs
    Photo Album - Photo Album

I tot micah richards was outstanding.We didnt take our chances in the 1st half..sadly

Its time to buy Anelka

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    Just when everyone thinks man u is down and out,They'll roar back with a resounding victory!!And against Man city too!!
    no leh...

It is so much harder to play low table team nowadays.....they basically just put 11 man behind the ball and looking for a draw even for a home team....so if MU can't break them down and they heng heng counter attack and get a lucky goal like last night.....MU will loose the game

Hopefully again a top site like Spurs this weekend will be a bit different when we have a more open game

Tactically I find Fergie a bit wrong also.....there is no overlapping between midfield and forward.....everyone just want to play outside the D box including Tevez...also too many unnecessary passes until the move died down towards the end......also he took out the best player on the field--Nani where else I find Giggs and Carrick were even more ineffective....so who else can score goal for us? Really MU only got themselve to blame

in the first place, we shouldn't be playing tevez as lone striker. hes too small and not a hitman type of player.
    with rooney and saha injured, should pair solskjaer with tevez imo... what u guys think?
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    in the first place, we shouldn't be playing tevez as lone striker. hes too small and not a hitman type of player.
    with rooney and saha injured, should pair solskjaer with tevez imo... what u guys think?
    I am not sure Solsjaer stil has it...age is catching up and he will be slow......nowadays good central forward are all so fast, powerfull and tall......Torres, Drogbar, Henry, Arnelka etc....Saha is close but very injury prone......our only hope is Fergie does a last ditch effort for Huntelaar....heard he just scored another few for Ajax last weekend

....lost money.... ... my friends all against manU... they all won...

Proud Owen left frustrated

Owen Hargreaves says stepping out at Eastlands on Sunday for his United debut marked the biggest moment of his career.

A bout of tendinitis in his knees had delayed the 26-year-old's competitive Reds' bow much to his obvious frustration.

But he was deemed fit enough to start the derby and produced an impressive performance, despite it turning out to be a hugely disappointing day for the Reds as City snatched an undeserved 1-0 victory.

Hargreaves thoroughly enjoyed his first United run-out and is confident the team can turns things around after suffering their worst start for 15 years.

"To make my United debut in a Manchester derby was the biggest moment of my career so far," admitted Hargreaves. "But I was disappointed not to win. I was hoping we could obviously with his being my first game. I am sure there will be more wins in the future.

"We need to score goals. The most important thing is to have those chances. We have made them but not utilised them. We could have scored one or two and they are things we have got to work on.

"We are missing Ronny [Cristiano Ronaldo] and Wazza [Wayne Rooney] and they are key players. We are going to miss those players at any time but we still had enough on the pitch to win the game.

"We still had a great team out there and we were comfortable. It is a shame that we only have two points from three matches because in those games we have pretty much dominated possession and could easily have won all three.

"We need to understand that we have played relatively well. We've played all this attractive football but not won games. We will get there. But we need to win games. That is the most important thing."

That pattern continued after the restart but a combination of poor finishing and solid defending from City ensured the blue half of Manchester were celebrating at the final whistle.

"We expected a lot more going into the game. When you look at the flow of the game we were completely in control and could have easily been in front early," insisted Hargreaves.

"We conceded at a time when they weren't threatening at all. It was a bit of a shock.

"City did the job of defending relatively well but we still had enough chances to definitely win the game."

Boss praises Reds

Sir Alex cut a bemused figure after Sunday's 1-0 loss to Manchester City and said it's now imperative United beat Spurs at Old Trafford next weekend.

Like many Reds fans, the boss couldn't understand how United lost a game in which their opponents had been so poor.

"I don't know how many corner kicks we had or how much possession we had, but I do know we had clear-cut chances throughout the match, even in the first 10 minutes," Ferguson said.

"We really should have sewn the game up even before they'd crossed the halfway line. We've only got ourselves to blame – let's make no mistake about that."

At Eastlands, like at Old Trafford on the opening day of the season and at Fratton Park four days ago, United failed to convert chances. The Reds are now without a win from the first three league games, a string of results that represents United's worst start in the Premier League since 1991/92.

The manner in which the team are playing, however, continues to impress Sir Alex.

"You look around that field and there's not one bad performer. Everyone played his part. At this moment in time we'll use our experience to make sure we don't get carried away

and have a knee-jerk reaction to it. What we do need, of course, is a win and we've got a home game against Tottenham next week."

United went into the derby without Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney, but the manager was adamant their absence had nothing to do with Sunday's result.

"On the evidence of today it's quite obvious [we didn't miss them]. I thought we were absolutely outstanding and completely dominated the game. But you have to say, with all these chances, we have to take one or two at least.

"We've given ourselves an uphill fight; I don't think there's any question of that. Over the past few years we've always been able to overcome these things and we'll have to do that again."
    Yeah... lets start to score some goals n collect full points next game at OT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    I am not sure Solsjaer stil has it...age is catching up and he will be slow......nowadays good central forward are all so fast, powerfull and tall......Torres, Drogbar, Henry, Arnelka etc....Saha is close but very injury prone......our only hope is Fergie does a last ditch effort for Huntelaar....heard he just scored another few for Ajax last weekend
    Think SAF most likely will be Anelka .... whoever also can lah as long as finsher n be able to score n play CL ok le........

Reds triumph in Malaysia

Febian Brandy struck the only goal of the game as United overcame Juventus to lift the prestigious Champions Youth Cup in Kuala Lumpur.

The diminutive striker hit his third goal of the tournament in the second half to finish as the Reds' joint top scorer - along with Sam Hewson - as Andy Welsh's side ended up worthy winners of the competition in its inaugural season.

Juve had only conceded one goal en route to the final, but had no answer to Brandy's strike in the 50th minute as he negotiated a way past two defenders and drilled a low effort home.

United's defence held firm throughout the rest of the game in relative comfort, as they held on to become worthy winners of the high-profile competition.

Having negotiated a route past Porto, Boca Juniors and Internazionale in the competition's group stages, United ousted Barcelona and Brazilians Flamengo before beating Juve in Sunday's showpiece final.

Youth trophy delights Welsh

United youth coach Andy Welsh was predictably beaming after guiding the Reds to glory in the inaugural Champions Youth Cup.

Febian Brandy hit a superb winner in Sunday's final against Juventus in Kuala Lumpur, sealing United's honour of being the first winners of the prestigious tournament.

"I'm simply delighted with the result," said Welsh after the game. "I was also extremely pleased with the performance of the players.

"They stuck to the game plan from the start and it paid off handsomely. We played a patient game and relied on counter attacks, and it worked tonight."

United successfully navigated a route past Porto, Boca Juniors and Internazionale in Group C, before seeing off Barcelona and Flamengo in the knockout stages.

Given the calibre of the opposition ousted along the way, and the overall experience of the tournament, Welsh is already looking ahead to United's defence of the title next year.

"It has been a fantastic tournament and we had a wonderful two and a half weeks here," said the former Royal Antwerp coach.

"The boys got to play teams from different part of the world and it was a learning experience for them. We will definitely return to defend the title next year."
    for the youngster! First Trophy of the season!

Time to get another striker before the transfer window closes at the end of the month. At this stage, much of the transfers in the market have been done and closed. Nothing much to shop around except maybe Anelka. This guy is still good and the prospect of playing CL matches is something he will relish especially when he needs many high level games to keep himself in the run for a place in the French first eleven for the WC qualifying matches. With Rooney out for 2 months and the suspension of Ronaldo, Tevez alone is not going to provide sufficient firepower upfront. Anelka should do the job partnering Tevez.

What Man U needs is a target man, and I think perhaps it is time for a swap with Liverpool for Peter Crouch. Man U can offer Heinze in return la.

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 183338414243444548 ... LastLast