Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173237404142434447 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Hey u guys got problems accessing this site the last 2 days? I can't access, dunno why.

Anyway that Rooney injury is a diasater man. Saha and ole still injured and have to rely on Tevez liao. Really can't afford another injury to any strikers.

I hope SAF dun regret selling Smith and Rossi and not getting Anelka.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Hey u guys got problems accessing this site the last 2 days? I can't access, dunno why.

Anyway that Rooney injury is a diasater man. Saha and ole still injured and have to rely on Tevez liao. Really can't afford another injury to any strikers.

I hope SAF dun regret selling Smith and Rossi and not getting Anelka.
    There were some system problem the past 2 days. The site was very, very slow and there were many interuptions of system fix going on, but thankfully, all has been resolved and back to norm now.

Sigh, beginning of the new season only. Hopefully we can do well this season.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    There were some system problem the past 2 days. The site was very, very slow and there were many interuptions of system fix going on, but thankfully, all has been resolved and back to norm now.

No problem la .... for the past season we have been slow starters need some warm up n a wake up call then the goals n points will start coming in!

14 more hours to go! Will the new guys be fielded or only tevez?

Last edited by melvin; 15th August 2007 at 11:36 AM.

Anderson reveals Ron influence

Anderson has revealed that good friend Cristiano Ronaldo played a big part in his decision to join the Reds.

The 19-year-old Brazilian completed his switch from FC Porto to United last month and was finally unveiled to the world's press on Monday afternoon.

Anderson spoke to Ronaldo before making his move to Manchester and insists it is a "dream come true" to be playing his football at Old Trafford.

"I’m good friends with Cristiano and he told me about the club and what a great place it is," Anderson told ManUtd.com. "Joining United is a dream come true for any footballer in the world. I’m really excited to be here and hope I can do well.

"I heard about it [United's interest] some time ago through my agent but we thought it would be better for me to wait a little bit longer.

"I was doing well at Porto at the time and I knew that joining a club like United - one of the biggest clubs in the world with one of the best followings in the world – would bring its own pressure.

"But when they expressed an interest in me again in the summer I felt it was the right time and I was really excited to have the opportunity to play for such a great club.

"I can’t wait to play my first game at Old Trafford," he added. "It will be amazing, not just for me but for my family as well.

"As a young boy it was always my dream to play for a big European club. I was lucky enough to do it with FC Porto and now I’m at United. I feel proud to be here and I want to do my best."

Anderson's attacking flair and ability has drawn comparisons with international team-mate Ronaldinho. The United midfielder is flattered by the claims but insists he has a long way to go before he can be held in as high regard as Barcelona's buck-toothed wonder.

"I feel very proud by those comparisons but you have to remember that Ronaldinho is an established top class footballer who has been named the best player in the world twice," he exlains.

"He’s a great guy and a good friend of mine, but no two players are the same – Ronaldinho is Ronaldinho and Anderson is Anderson. It’s an honour to play alongside him, it’s something every footballer in the world would like to do. He’s a great player and I hope one day I can reach the level he is at now."

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post

icic!

It is going to tough defending the title. Rooney will be injured for 2 months and Saha and ole will not be ready for a month. Left 1 striker and it is Tevez.

I sure hope Fergie signs another striker like Anelka before the transfer window close on 31 Aug. Saha cannot be relied liao and ole can't last a full match.

think anderson can play up-front too?

if not can play scholes or giggs "in-the-hole"...

hargreaves defensive with carrick n ronaldo...

Quote Originally Posted by feimao07 View Post
    think anderson can play up-front too?

if not can play scholes or giggs "in-the-hole"...

hargreaves defensive with carrick n ronaldo...
    Hmmm yes and Ronaldo can play upfront too but will lose width. I still think a striker is the best choice.

Just share some pictures I took during a trip to Manchester, Old trafford, for a match this April 2007.
    These pictures were taken day before the matchday, Manchester United vs. Boro

Old Trafford Lodge, where the famous cricket ground is. I stay in this hotel as well.

A signboard outside Old Trafford Lodge

From Old Trafford Lodge, it take only about 5mins to the HOME OF MANCESTER UNITED FC

Along the way, this is a pub cum bed & breakfast. Fans will gather here for drinks before game

Development asso. See what, the East Stand greets me.
    Last edited by broccoli; 16th August 2007 at 12:31 AM.

East Stand

So grand. OLD TRAFFORD. I am so emotional when (the 1st time & being a Devil's fan for the last 12 years) standing in front of the stadium.

On the floor, I saw name-bricks....David Beckham

Sir Alex Ferguson.

Eric Cantona.
    Last edited by broccoli; 16th August 2007 at 12:34 AM.

will update more once I have time...

heyy, thx a lot for sharing these pics broccoli!
    looking forward to more!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Wah lao. Draw again and Ronaldo was being sent off. Thought we will have a good start this season.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Ronny fell into Pompey trap

Sir Alex Ferguson admits Cristiano Ronaldo fell for Portsmouth's intimidation tactics at Fratton Park after seeing the winger dismissed late on in United's 1-1 draw, but says the Portuguese international has only himself to blame.

Ronaldo was sent off by referee Steve Bennett five minutes from time after a scuffle in the area. Bennett wasted no time in showing Ronaldo a straight red much to Sir Alex's annoyance.

"I've looked at the replay a few times now and there's nothing conclusive - you can't really see anything," he told MUTV. "I believe he was provoked and he fell for it. Steve Bennett sent him off at City [in January 2006] and he will have loved the opportunity to send him off again.

"Cristiano was simply responsible for falling into a trap of intimidation. He was surprised about the decision but really he's only himself to blame. It left us with ten men and now we're going to miss him for three games. It's a big blow."

The United boss urged the 22-year-old winger to have a wider awareness of the approach Portsmouth had taken towards him all evening.

"You get provoked and you have got to have the calmness to just remind yourself you're a better player than these players and that is why they are doing it," he said. "He has fallen into the trap and paid the penalty for it.

"[If you react] you have no recourse. For instance, Paul Scholes last season against Liverpool raised his hands, he didn't touch the player, but he was given three matches for that."
    How true!

Tevez gives Reds derby boost

On a frustrating evening at Fratton Park, the one major plus-point was the impressive display of United's latest recruit Carlos Tevez.

Although he tired in the final quarter of the game, the 23-year-old forward's United debut was one which bubbled with enthusiasm and the 90 minutes will do him the world of good ahead of Sunday's Manchester derby.

"He was absolutely terrific," Sir Alex told MUTV after the game. "He made a great contribution, hopefully he's fit and ready for Sunday.

"We're going to be missing Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo for the derby. But the good thing is that I got 90 minutes out of Carlos. He tired in the last 15 minutes but I couldn't take him off because he is capable of scoring from any situation whether he is tired or not."

As with Ronaldo, Sir Alex was disappointed at the protection offered to Tevez by referee Steve Bennett, who persistently let fouls from behind on United's No.32 pass unpunished. "He didn't get any protection from the referee," added the boss. "I don't know how many times he was fouled from behind. I will need to check that law, I didn't think you could kick from behind. But, must be a new one. He had to suffer a lot."

Tevez may not have scored on his United debut, but it was his assist - displaying close control and keen awareness - that set up Paul Scholes' first-half effort. The Argentine was a central figure in many of United's attacks all evening, and perhaps better match fitness would have led to a first Reds goal.

"We played some fantastic football at times, but we were wasteful with our chances," said the boss of his team. "But we were unfortunate not to take all three points.

"We had to contend with Portsmouth's physical approach. They got got stuck in and the crowd gets behind them. It's a great support at Fratton Park. It was a fantastic header, but their goal was out of the blue. We were wasteful with our chances after that and it was a disappointing result."

Senior squard have yet to register a win but the juniors jus beat Barca juniors

United edge into semi-finals

United's youngsters have reached the semi-finals of the Champions Youth Cup in Malaysia after overcoming Barcelona.

Reserves skipper Kieran Lee - one of only two squad members with First Team experience - was the only goalscorer in a keenly contested game against the Catalan side.

Academy Manager Brian McClair and Youth Coach Andy Welsh watched on in Kuala Lumpur, as the Reds turned in a steady performance in keeping with the fine form shown throughout the prestigious tournament so far.

The Reds will now face Flamengo in Friday's first semi-final, after the Brazilians narrowly overcame PSV Eindhoven in their quarter-final earlier on Wednesday.

Erick Bonfian struck the winner for the Rio de Janeiro side in the final minute of the last eight clash, sealing a dramatic passage into the semi-finals.

The winner of the first semi will face either Juventus or AC Milan in Sunday's final, while the loser will playoff for third spot against the loser of the all-Italian tie - also on Sunday.
    At least still got hope for the future!

Hope we register our first this coming sun Derby game!!!

Last edited by melvin; 16th August 2007 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
    will update more once I have time...
    That is some very nice pics! More more!

A draw at Pompey isn't too bad as we get beaten there often. The disappoing thing is that Ronaldo got sent off!

Sir Alex's City rivalries

As Sir Alex prepares to do battle with Sven Goran Eriksson in the Swede's first Manchester derby, we look back at the other Blue bosses he's faced…

Jimmy Frizzell
    1/10/1986 to 1/5/1987

Sir Alex’s first derby challenge, in January 1987, was thrown down by Jimmy Frizzell. Frizzell brought his relegation-bound City side to Old Trafford for an FA Cup third-round tie in front of a 54,000 crowd but Norman Whiteside’s strike in a 1-0 win ended City’s Cup challenge. A 2-0 league victory in March maintained Alex Ferguson’s 100 per cent derby record, and Frizzell moved "upstairs" at Maine Road, becoming General Manager at the season’s end.

Mel Machin
    1/5/1987 to 30/11/1989

While Sir Alex toiled to rebuild the squad he’d inherited, Mel Machin, the former Norwich head coach, had been charged with the task of getting City back into the top flight. He succeeded in May 1989 and thus his first derby was set for 23 September. The date is ingrained on the memories of all Reds and Blues present. After an early delay due to crowd control issues, United were hammered 5-1. Despite the win, Machin was fired at the end of November, meaning no return visit to Old Trafford.

Howard Kendall
    6/12/1989 to 5/11/1990

Kendall’s track record with Everton gave Blues hope despite the spectre of relegation looming over Maine Road. And by the time February’s Old Trafford derby came into view, it wasn’t just City who were in desperate trouble. United had not recorded a league win in 11 games – and were denied here, the revenge mission falling flat as Clayton Blackmore’s diving header was cancelled out by Ian Brightwell’s sizzling 25-yarder. The following October, United were again staring a Maine Road hammering in the face, 3-1 down with just minutes remaining. But Brian McClair’s dramatic late brace got them on level terms. Just days later, Kendall moved back to Goodison Park.

Peter Reid
    15/11/1990 to 26/8/1993

Reid arrived at Maine Road from QPR in December 1989 as one of Kendall’s first signings. In the wake of the manager’s departure, Reid became player-manager and his derby bow in the hotseat came in May 1991. A youngster called Ryan Giggs was making his full United debut and a combination of Giggs and Colin Hendry deflected the ball into City’s net for the game’s only goal. City ended the season above United for the first time since 1978 and Reid’s tenure produced a fair head-to-head record in derbies, which included taking four valuable points off United in the 1991/92 title race. In December 1992, Paul Ince and Mark Hughes earned United the points in a riveting Old Trafford encounter graced by the debut of a derby-day legend in the making – Eric Cantona. The following March, Reid’s City again looked to have put one over on United, but then Cantona’s head connected with Lee Sharpe’s cross to level the game at 1-1. By August 1993 Reid had gone.

Brian Horton
    28/08/1993 to 16/05/1995

The Ferguson-Cantona axis initiated a sustained spell of local superiority, and former Oxford manager Brian Horton was the man on the receiving end. Cantona, having inspired United to an amazing turnaround at Maine Road, was again under pressure ahead of Horton’s first OT derby, two red cards having resulted in a five-match ban. Yet Eric was again an inspiration, his double sealing the match. The following season’s fixtures produced an 8-0 aggregate United win.

Alan Ball
    2/7/1995 to 27/8/1996

Approaching his only Old Trafford derby, Alan Ball’s team were in dire straits after seven consecutive defeats. It turned into eight after Paul Scholes pounced inside five minutes. Only 35,000 were in attendance as the United Road stand was being rebuilt and no away fans were admitted. Later that season, Ball’s weary troops would go on to further derby defeats in both the league and, more controversially, the Cup, before relegation on the final day.

Joe Royle
    18/2/1998 to 21/5/2001

After parting company with Everton in 1997, former City centre-forward Joe Royle had a year to wait until his old club came calling. Relegation to the Second Division followed before two successive promotions brought about a first Manchester derby in five seasons. Maine Road’s match was memorable only for David Beckham’s early free-kick winner. Old Trafford’s encounter was no classic, either: Teddy Sheringham scored from the spot before Steve Howey equalised for relegation-bound City. Royle left Maine Road at the end of the season.

Kevin Keegan
    24/5/2001 to 11/3/2005

Keegan took over as City manager a year after his resignation as England coach, and the renewal of his celebrated rivalry with Sir Alex brought City their first Maine Road derby win for 14 years. City then earned a hard-fought 1-1 draw at Old Trafford in March 2003, putting City on top in the seasonal head-to-heads for the first time since 1990. Despite going on to lose three derbies in the next two seasons, another victory for Keegan – 4-1 in February 2004 – made him the most successful Blues boss in terms of games won since Tony Book left in 1979.

Stuart Pearce
    21/3/2005 to 14/5/2007

Pearce ended his playing career at City and stayed around in a coaching capacity until he was handed the manager's job after Kevin Keegan's departure. Pearce came to Old Trafford for his first derby and left with a point after a 1-1 draw. He then triumphed at Eastlands four months later, winning 3-1 in a match that saw Cristiano Ronaldo sent off. The 2006/07 season was less successful for "Pyscho", with United taking maximum points both home and away. Pearce lost his job after the final match of the campaign.
    Sir Alex v 9City managers

Played: 30
    Won: 17
    Lost: 4
    Drawn: 9

Match Pack: Man City

Sunday's clash at the City Of Manchester stadium marks the 149th time United and City have met. Historically, the Reds have won more clashes than the Blues, but derbies tend to have a habit of throwing up surprises.

Form guide: City have taken six points from their first two matches and impressed on the opening day at West Ham. Meanwhile, United have drawn twice – against Reading and Portsmouth – and are currently four points adrift of the Blues.

Ins and outs: United are missing key men Wayne Rooney (broken foot) and Cristiano Ronaldo, who was sent off at Fratton Park for an alleged headbutt. Of course, the Reds are also without Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (knee), Louis Saha (knee), Gary Neville (ankle) and Ji-sung Park (knee), who are all suffering from long-term injuries.

City's only worry appears to be in the goalkeeping department, with first-choice Andreas Isaksson out with a fractured thumb. Deputy Kasper Schmeichel (yes, Peter's son) has performed admirably, keeping two clean sheets already.

Star men: Sir Alex will be looking for Carlos Tevez to shine in his first Manchester derby. As for City, Brazilian midfielder Elano has looked lively so far and United will need to contain him in the centre of the park.

Follow the action: The derby will be screened live on Sky Sports 1 (kick off 13:30). If you can't catch it on the box, tune into our live audio commentary and text-based match tracker. ManUtd.com will bring you a full match report and in-depth post-match reaction at the final whistle.

Hot tips: Betfred chairman and United fan Fred Done has covered all the odds at www.manutd.com/bet, including Carlos Tevez to score the first goal at 5/1.

Get in the mood: Re-live some of United's best goals against City at MUTV Online.

Have your say: What's your favourite Manchester derby moment under Sir Alex's reign? Vote at www.manutd.com/polls
    United v City

Played: 148
    Won: 60
    Lost: 39
    Drawn: 49

Tevez loving life as a Red

Carlos Tevez says he is loving life at Old Trafford playing alongside the "best players in the world."

The Argentine international made his United debut on Wednesday evening at Fratton Park in the Reds' 1-1 draw with Portsmouth.

Despite being unable to help his team-mates secure victory, Tevez did enough to suggest he will make a positive impact at Old Trafford.

Having endured a torrid few weeks whilst his move from West Ham to United was ironed out by the relevant parties, Tevez says he is now focused on ensuring the 2007/08 campaign is a successful one for his new team.

"When the move finally went through there was a real sense of relief that I’d signed," he told ManUtd.com.

"I feel very happy - I’ve joined the best club in the world with the best players in the world. It’s not difficult to see the qualities every one of them has.

"First and foremost I want to get games under my belt so I’m physically strong," he adds. "From then on I want to be part of this great team and hopefully begin to produce the kind of football I played last season to help the team be successful."

Wayne Rooney's absence through injury means Tevez is likely to be United's sole striker in Sunday's derby clash at Eastlands, just as he was on the South Coast.

Tevez is hugely disappointed by Rooney's enforced spell on the sidelines - likely to be around two months - but he has rubbished claims that the duo will not work as a front pairing because they are too similar.

"I don’t think it’s a question of us being too similar," insisted Tevez. "When you go out onto the pitch one player might be slightly further forward than the other or vice versa but you can work that out together.

"It’ll be a great experience to play alongside Wayne Rooney – it’s something I’m very excited about.

"He'll be a big loss because he’s such an important player for the team. But we have other options that we can look to and I’m sure the players we call upon will do well."

Paul Scholes: He scores goals

Paul Scholes heads into this weekend's Manchester derby as United's highest Premier League scorer.

The 32-year-old's strike on Wednesday at Fratton Park, a blistering drive from the edge of the box that flew into the corner of David James' net, was his 96th in the competition and saw him overtake Ruud van Nistelrooy at the top of the chart.

Scholes's milestone arrived in his 373rd league appearance, giving him a strike-rate of slightly better than one goal every four games.

Newcastle have been on the receiving end of nine Scholes goals in the league, while the former England midfielder has netted seven times against West Ham, Blackburn and Bolton.

Scholes has scored four times against Sunday's opponents, Manchester City, the last coming in the Reds' 4-1 defeat in 2004.
    League apps: 308 (65)
    League goals: 96
    1st league goal: 24/09/94 v Ipswich
    Last edited by melvin; 17th August 2007 at 06:04 PM.

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173237404142434447 ... LastLast