Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163136394041424346 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

1 Van Der Sar (gk)
    2 Neville
    3 Evra
    4 Hargreaves
    5 Ferdinand
    6 Brown
    7 Ronaldo
    8 Anderson
    9 Saha
    10 Rooney
    11 Giggs
    12 Foster (gk)
    13 J.s. Park
    14 Heinze
    15 Vidic
    16 Carrick
    17 Nani
    18 Scholes
    19 PiquÉ
    20 Solskjaer
    21 Dong
    22 O’shea
    23 J. Evans
    24 Fletcher
    27 Silvestre
    28 Gibson
    29 Kuszczak (gk)
    30 Martin
    32 Tevez
    33 Eagles
    35 Lee
    36 Gray
    37 Cathcart
    38 Heaton (gk)
    39 Campbell
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Rossi: I made right choice

Giuseppe Rossi is adamant that he made the right choice by leaving United in search of first-team football at Villarreal.

The 20-year-old striker admits leaving Old Trafford was a difficult decision, but he has already seen enough in Spain to persuade him that a move to La Liga was the best decision for his career.

“I’ve joined a very ambitious club,” said Rossi. “It was difficult to leave Manchester, but the first days here have convinced me that I made the right choice.

“The big objective is to get back in the Champions League where the side did so well two years ago.

"I can already see that this side can challenge in any competition - La Liga, the UEFA Cup or the Champions League."

After sanctioning the Italian's sale, Sir Alex Ferguson revealed that United do have the option to re-purchase Rossi in the future.

The youngster is well aware that he may not have bidden a permanent farewell to Old Trafford, but for now is concentrating on success with Villarreal.

"I know that there is a clause that will let me return to Manchester United," he admitted. "But I’m just thinking of Villarreal."

Ole praises Royals ascent

Reds striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits he was surprised at how well Reading performed last season, and says he expects Steve Coppell’s side to be equally tough opponents at Old Trafford on Sunday.

With United having faced the Royals four times in 2006/07, Solskjaer was in a good position to assess this weekend’s opponents.

Speaking to Reading's official website, the Norwegian said of the Berkshire club’s first campaign in the top flight: “It was an amazing achievement.

“Reading had not been in the Premier League before and at first people thought they were going to struggle. But straight from the off they did well.

“Through Coppell’s work and the way they performed it was difficult to play against them. I don’t think any team were looking forward to playing at the Madejski Stadium.”

Of the clubs’ four meetings last year, the FA Cup replay at Reading – in which United were three goals to the good inside six minutes – was the most memorable for the Reds front man.

"We were 3-0 up and then the rest of the game was a struggle for us," he said. “It was a great night of football and I have never seen a start like that for Manchester United.

“We usually finish of well, but that was the best start I have been involved with. Last season’s matches between the sides were good footballing games. There were loads of chances to score, so I’m looking forward to Sunday.”
    YEah man... for the last season matches against them we need to struggle for a win against them!

Betting: United v Reading

Betfred chairman and Reds fan Fred Done previews the Premier League opener...

Finally... the sun is shining and the Premier League is back, and let's hope the season starts with a resounding win for United.

The way the league is these days, it's vital to get off to a flier and this Sunday gives United the perfect chance to do just that, with a weakened Reading team visiting the Theatre of Dreams. After having sold their best midfielder in Steve Sidwell, they’re now without Leroy Lita after he picked up a muscle injury. So United are clear favourites for this one at 1/5, with Reading 9/1 and the draw at 9/2/. For the pessimistic, you can get 14/1 on 0-0.

After Paul Scholes played 90 minutes against Dunfermline on Wednesday night, I’m looking for a strong performance from the midfield dynamo - Scholes is 8/1 to score the first goal. As you’d expect, Wayne Rooney is favourite to open United’s account at 7/2. If you fancy a man that found his range towards the end of last season, you might want to look at Michael Carrick at 16/1, a generous price with MU Bet (manutd.com/bet).

When United are at home, the scorecasts always end up costing me a fortune. If either Rooney or Ronaldo pick up the first goal, I’m always in trouble and end up paying out big! Even so, I can’t help but look at the 22/1 available for Rooney first goal and United to win 3-0, or 33/1 on the same scorer and a 3-1.

If you are a scorecast punter, then MU Bet has a great offer for you. If you back a scorecast but only get one of the two parts correct, I’ll give you your money back. I’ll also give you your money back if you back a player to score the first goal but he only scores the last. These offers also apply to all Premier League games, so take your pick!

Best of luck to United on Sunday and to you if you're having a bet with MU Bet.

New boys could face Royals

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that new signings Nani, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves will feature in United’s squad to face Reading on Sunday.

The Reds begin their defence of the Premier League title against Steve Coppell’s Royals at Old Trafford, and all three new boys are available for selection. Paul Scholes is also fit and raring to go after emerging unscathed from his surprise midweek return against Dunfermline at East End Park.

"Nani and Anderson will be in the squad, but whether they start or not, I have my doubts," the boss told reporters. "They probably need a bit more training and a few games. But I’m putting them in the squad anyway. Paul Scholes came through the game on Wednesday and he will be available for Sunday, which is good news.

"Owen played 60 minutes against Dunfermline and he will definitely be in Sunday's squad. He probably needs another game, but we were very pleased with his contribution. He showed exactly what he'll bring to the team. There was great speed to his play and I was delighted with his contribution."

United’s attacking options will be further boosted in the near future, with news that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Louis Saha were back in full training this week. The boss said: "Louis and Ole started training with the first team this week, which is good news. Hopefully they're not too far away. It will be great to have them back because of the experience they bring to the front line."

Skipper Gary Neville, however, is still some way from a comeback, having damaged ankle ligaments against Bolton last March. "Gary Neville is making progress, but it’s pretty slow," added Sir Alex. "I don’t think he’ll be available for three weeks."

Q & A: Sir Alex

Sir Alex Ferguson fielded questions about the new Premier League season at his first press conference of 2007/08.

Below is a selection of the answers he gave. You can also watch a full press conference video on MUTV Online.

Which teams will challenge last season's top four?
    "I think you can expect good improvement from Tottenham and Newcastle. Everton have done good business in the summer. David Moyes has lengthened a lot of the contracts at the club, without having to go outside - he’s keeping his own group together. So I think he’s done a good job there. Blackburn, Reading and Portsmouth, with the experience of Harry Redknapp, will be respectable."

Do you hope for a closer race?
    "I don’t think Liverpool and Arsenal will want to be 20 points behind us again this year. So, I think you can expect improvement there. Newcastle - Sam Allardyce will definitely improve them. His experience and organisational skills will make a difference there."

What improvement do you expect to see in your team?
    "What you want to see in the team, having won the league, is more authority, consistency and continuity. We noticed that in training in the Far East. It is a far more stable situation. We expect the young players to improve a lot, like Rooney, Ronaldo, Anderson and Nani. We expect a great deal more authority for players like Fletcher, O’Shea, Vidic and Evra. But we also have the right people to call on in terms of experience, like Neville, Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand and van der Sar."

You say Rooney and Ronaldo can improve. They’re already being touted as among the best in the world. How good can they be?

"At 21 and 22, that’s three or four years before you reach full maturity. Getting to that stage gives you authority, timing, control of your game. When I was a player, I felt at my strongest when I was 25 or 26. At 21 you do daft things on the pitch, inconsistent things. You have moments where you show your ability, you score a goal then you miss a chance. I’m confident they'll get better."

Is it more difficult to retain the title than to win it initially?
    "When we won the league three times in a row, the next season after that was very difficult because we felt there was an edge to teams that played us where they were trying to stop us. But, I think the league has changed. Clubs are far more focused on personal interests now than stopping other teams playing. The seven or eight teams I mentioned earlier are all interested in themselves. I think the Premier League is becoming more competitive. It’s more of an international league, but it’s not got the same focus of trying to stop United, or Chelsea or Arsenal. That doesn’t come into it as much as it once did."

Sven-Goran Eriksson has bought a few players - how do you think Manchester City will do?
    "Well, buying nine or ten players is difficult. You can’t expect overnight success with that. It’s difficult to say how they’re going to do, but you wouldn’t expect them to be consistently good. As I know myself, it’s always difficult to build teams."

With the additions you've made over the summer, is the squad good enough to win more than trophy this season?
    "If we get to the same position as last season, we will have a better chance. I honestly believe that the Champions League semi-final against AC Milan was just one too many for us at the time. Credit to AC Milan, their preparation for the second leg was much, much better than ours. They didn’t have the responsibility of going for their league title. They rested nine players and we got caught on that one. The sudden loss of players we suffered from the middle of March was tough.

We went into April missing seven or eight players. For the Everton game, I rested Ronaldo because his ankle was giving him bother. But at 2-1 down I needed to bring him on and he never got over that. His ankle gave him problems all summer."

In past seasons, you've been trying to match Chelsea. Do you think the tables have turned?
    "It’s possible. You have to do that when one of your rivals wins the league. You have to ask what you’re up against. When Arsenal went through the season undefeated, we felt then that the bar had been raised to the 90-point level. That’s what we’re looking at now, the 90-point mark, to be in contention to win the league."

What would a tenth Premier League title mean?
    "It would be fantastic. That’s a great challenge for someone like Ryan Giggs. It’s a wonderful opportunity for someone like him because it's hard to imagine how it would be done again."

Sir Alex Ferguson was speaking at his pre-match press conference on Friday. Watch the full video now on MUTV Online (manutd.com/video).

Hahaha Roy Keane and Sunderland! Martin Joel must be livid!

Title defence starts tomorrow! 10th English Premier League title, here we come!

this is so so so so very sad
    possession to the max and no one could put 1 behind their keeper.
    EVRA, HOW CAN U MISS SUCH A GOOD CHANCE IN SUCH A TERRIBLE WAY!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    this is so so so so very sad
    possession to the max and no one could put 1 behind their keeper.
    EVRA, HOW CAN U MISS SUCH A GOOD CHANCE IN SUCH A TERRIBLE WAY!
    Ya ... wif all that possesion, sad man cant even put 1 ball in the next when we gt 1 man advantage!!!

Rooney suffers fractured foot

Wayne Rooney suffered a hairline fracture in his left foot in United's goalless draw against Reading.

The England striker was substituted at half-time after being caught by Michael Duberry as the Royals defender tried to block a shot.

Although Rooney did briefly play on after receiving treatment, Sir Alex Ferguson opted not to risk any further injury by fielding him in the second half, and a post-match hospital scan has validated that decision.

Immediately after the match, the United Manager told Sky Sports: “We’re waiting to see how the scan goes. We’ve sent him for a scan and hopefully everything’s ok.

“It was painful, he couldn’t really stand on it. I don’t think it’s the same injury as the last, obviously we hope and pray that that’s the case.

“But it was sore and it started to swell so there was no point in trying anything for the second half.”

The result of Rooney's scan have worsened a frustrating opening day of the season, and as yet there is no timescale of his recovery.

As usual we got off to a slow start of the season among the big 4 we are the onli did not collect full points!!!

Fergie: Should have signed Tevez a year ago

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted he wished he had signed Carlos Tevez 12 months ago.

Tevez finally completed his protracted transfer to United on Friday afternoon, a year after Ferguson was first alerted to his availability.

At the time, United shied away from doing a deal as there were too many uncertainties over the way it would be structured.

Subsequent events proved the stance to be wholly sensible. However, as he watched Tevez inspire West Ham's late-season survival surge, just as his own side were struggling to sustain a Treble challenge with an injury-ravaged squad, Ferguson could not help thinking what might have been.

'In his year at West Ham, Tevez proved himself to be an absolutely top player,' reflected Ferguson.

'Every time I saw him playing for West Ham last year, I thought to myself, I just wish we had done it last year.

'But there were too many complications at the time.'

Instead, Ferguson made Tevez one of four summer signings, splashing out £50million on Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson within weeks of United clinching their ninth Premier League title.

His rapid recruiting mission meant Ferguson could enjoy a worry-free summer holiday for once, convinced he had got the right men at the right time.

'I think the four signings will be good ones,' he said.

'We knew Hargreaves was going to happen for a long time. We hoped it would be last June, then January but we finally got it done in May.

'Nani and Anderson were quick decisions.

'We saw an opening regarding their contracts and weren't prepared to wait.

'Anderson broke his leg last year but if we had let him start the season after his broken leg, everyone would have been after him.'

Meanwhile, Ferguson has confirmed Gabriel Heinze will not become an 'alien' in the United dressing room if his proposed move to Liverpool is blocked.

Heinze's case will be heard by the Premier League on August 20, with the governing body set to rule on whether a signed letter by Red Devils chief executive David Gill, which confirmed the Old Trafford club were prepared to accept £6.8million for the 29-year-old, over-rides his current contract, which runs until 2009.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has already matched the sum but United claim they informed Heinze's agent - long before the Merseyside giants made their interest known - that they would not sell to one of their chief domestic rivals.

Given the long-standing antipathy between supporters of both clubs, Heinze can expect a rough ride from United's fans if he doesn't make the move.

Yet Ferguson is convinced there will be no problems inside the dressing room and would have no worries playing him.

'Gabriel Heinze has not become an alien within the squad at all,' said Ferguson.

'He is a very popular player within the club.

'Obviously the meeting on August 20 will settle it one way or another.

'We think we have a good case. They probably think they have a good case too or they wouldn't have gone this far.

'But once it is settled, if he is still a Manchester United player, he will be treated accordingly. He is a warrior and a fighter. He won't let us down.'

all the top teams managed to scrap thru' tis wkend...

sort of expected them to not collect the 3 points after seein' them struggled in the 1st-half...

hopefully rooney can b back sooner than expected n tevez can turn on the style tis wed against portsmouth...

First match only lah... Still got 37 more to go.

Go Goal...

Rooney out for 2 months due to hairline fracture.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Rooney out for 2 months due to hairline fracture.
    Lucky we got Tevez if not no eye see!

Tevez feels no pressure

Carlos Tevez is counting on one thing having completed his move to United - enjoying his football at Old Trafford.

At times, it must have seemed like his protracted transfer to Old Trafford may never materialise with so much red tape surrounding the deal.

But, now that the deal has finally been pushed through and a United debut against Portsmouth beckons on Wednesday at Fratton Park, he is determined to make the most of the opportunity.

And, even though Wayne Rooney's injury-enforced absence has placed greater emphasis on his contribution up front, Tevez certainly isn't showing signs of feeling the pressure.

"I have never felt pressure when I play football," he told reporters during his official unveiling at United's Carrington training headquarters. "Whenever I go on to the pitch all I try to do is enjoy myself.

"This is a massive step for me. It hurt me to leave West Ham anyway, but the lure of Manchester United was just too much," he added.

It had been hoped that Tevez would form a formidable partnership with Rooney, but due to the Englishman's metatarsal injury, that link-up has been put on hold until October.

"It is a big blow to lose Wayne," he said. "He is a great player and he will be very difficult to replace. But at a big club like Manchester United you hope to have a number of players who can slot in.

"Now I need to write my own piece of history at the club and do everything I can to help Manchester United be successful."
    He already creating history before the games!

Young Reds reach quarters

United have booked a place in the quarter-finals of the 2007 Champions Youth Cup in Malaysia after winning their opening two group qualifying matches.

Brian McClair’s young side have overcome Porto and Boca Juniors in their first two outings, rendering incidental Monday's defeat against Internazionale, who also progress from Group C.

Febian Brandy’s spectacular lob – one of the goals of the tournament so far – was the only goal of the Reds’ opening encounter with the Portuguese side, and the diminutive striker was on target again against Boca.

Brandy hit the clinching goal in a 3-2 win over the Argentines, with earlier goals coming from Sam Hewson and Daniel Drinkwater in a thrilling triumph for McClair’s side.

Six points from nine sees United pencilled in for one of Wednesday’s two quarter-finals, where they will face either Barcelona or Juventus, who both qualified from Group B.

Other teams already into the final eight are AC Milan, Flamengo, Bayern Munich and PSV Eindhoven, while the likes of Arsenal, Ajax, Chelsea, Paris St Germain and Porto have already been eliminated.

The prestigious tournament is open to players aged 19 or under on January 1, 2007.

Tevez to take over Rooney role

Carlos Tevez will be asked to fire up Manchester United's planned assault on the Premier League title - by immediately covering for the loss of Wayne Rooney.

The champions stalled on the grid yesterday by failing to beat Reading on home soil, an outcome accompanied by the awful news that Rooney had fractured his foot in an accidental collision with Michael Duberry.

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Rooney will be out of action for two months, meaning he will miss eight Premier League games - including the September 22 showdown with Chelsea - United's opening two Champions League group fixtures, as well as England's crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia next month.

During a late evening phone call to England coach Steve McClaren, Ferguson did express confidence Rooney would be fit for the October double-header with Estonia and Russia.

In the meantime, McClaren needs to make alternative arrangements - probably in the form of Liverpool's Peter Crouch - while Ferguson, who is still without Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, must plunge Tevez into action quicker than he had hoped.

'Carlos will start on Wednesday [away to Portsmouth],' revealed Ferguson.

'Ideally, I would have preferred to wait for the Manchester City game on Sunday - which would have given him a few more days' training.

'But for the forthcoming few weeks, he will fill the position Wayne would have occupied.'

Although Tevez was confirmed as a United player only on Friday, he has been training with the Red Devils for almost a fortnight.

Ferguson accepts the Argentina international may be slightly rusty, having not played a game since his country reached the final of Copa America four weeks ago.

However, the United boss has seen enough in training to feel Tevez can make a positive contribution at Fratton Park.

'There is no doubt in my mind Carlos was the major reason why West Ham stayed up last season,' said Ferguson.

'His performances in the Premier League last season is the foundation on which our opinion of him is based. But sometimes you get more of a feel from training, and he has been absolutely brilliant.

'I have been very impressed, not just by his aptitude for work but the receptive manner in which he has approached the sessions.'

Ferguson does expect Rooney to be training within the two-month timescale. Yet mindful the England forward was back in action six weeks after the last of his previous two broken metatarsals but miserably failed to do himself justice at the World Cup, the United boss will not be rushing him back.

Neither will he be charging into the transfer market again, after spending upwards of £50million strengthening his squad this summer.

The pressure is therefore on Tevez to hit the ground running. But the former Boca Juniors player - sent off in a friendly on his first appearance at Old Trafford in 2002 and a scorer on his second, netting the goal that kept West Ham up on the final day of last term - shows no sign of being overwhelmed by it.

'I have never felt pressure when I play football,' he said.

'Whenever I go on to the pitch I try to enjoy myself.'

Tevez acknowledges it has been 'impossible' to avoid the controversy surrounding his proposed move to United.

Yet it was only as the Copa America reached its conclusion that he began to get some idea what a fuss his long-time association with Kia Joorabchian was causing.

'I started to realise - because each game passed in the Copa America and still the matter was not resolved,' he recalled.

'But I never felt I would be forced out of the game.

'It hurt me to leave West Ham anyway, but the lure of Manchester United was just too much.'

Ironically, a move to United was recommended by a man now doing his best to leave - Tevez's international team-mate Gabriel Heinze.

Whether he is cleared to join Liverpool next week or not, Heinze would be regarded as a success story at Old Trafford - unlike compatriot Juan Sebastian Veron, or fellow South Americans Kleberson and Diego Forlan, who all failed to make much of an impression.

But having already adapted to life in England, Tevez should be a different case - and the player himself is eager to make his mark.

'It is a big blow to lose Wayne,' he said.

'He is a great player and he will be very difficult to replace.

'But at a big club like Manchester United you hope to have a number of players who can slot in.

'This is a massive step for me. Now I need to write my own piece of history at the club and do everything I can to help Manchester United be successful.'

Nike on the defensive over injured Rooney's boots

Nike insist the design of their boots had 'nothing to do with' Wayne Rooney's latest foot injury.

The Manchester United and England striker faces two months on the sidelines after suffering a hairline fracture of his left foot during the clash with Reading on Sunday, the third time since 2004 he has suffered injuries to his feet.

The first forced him off in the Euro 2004 quarter-final against Portugal and delayed his debut with Manchester United after his move from Everton.

The second happened just before the 2006 World Cup, giving the player a race against time to be fit for the finals in Germany.

Some have speculated that modern boot design puts players at greater risk of foot injuries, but Charlie Brooks, head of corporate communications for Nike UK, has told Channel 4 News that the boot that Wayne had been testing was not to blame.

He said: 'He himself is personally absolutely confident, as we are, that the boot had nothing to do with his injury.

'Nearly 20% of the professional players in the Barclays Premier league this weekend were wearing this boot.

'I think it is a boot that stands up to all kinds of testing...and stands up to on-pitch demand.

'I think what happened to Wayne is an unfortunate football injury.

'When we were developing this boot we worked extensively with Wayne.

'He was part of the development testing process...he went over to our headquarters in the United States and he tested the boot extensively over there.'

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed the injury would keep the 21-year-old out for two months, making him a major doubt for England's Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia.
    Snice when the boots become the blame for Rooney's injury!

Blame the boots? Why not blame the pitch as well? Don't think the devils will resort to doing such.

Lyon to join Liverpool in race for Heinze?

Lyon may join Liverpool in the race to sign Manchester United defender Gabriel Heinze as they try to come to terms with the loss of captain Cris for six months.

The Brazilian centre-back was carried off on a stretcher during Saturday's 1-0 defeat at Toulouse after a clash with Les Violets striker Johan Elmander.

The likes of Paris St Germain's Mario Yepes and Jean-Alain Boumsong, of Juventus, have been linked with the French champions as a replacement for Cris.

But Manchester United defender Heinze looks to be Lyon coach Alain Perrin's ideal choice.

``He has the profile,'' the former Sochaux boss said of the Argentina international, who can play at left-back or centre-half.

``It is necessary to know if the player, who has spent a large part of his career at left-back, really wants to play regularly at centre-back.''

Heinze is currently involved in a dispute with United, who are refusing to allow the player to move to fellow north-west club Liverpool.

The 29-year-old claims he has a letter from United allowing him to leave Old Trafford for a fee the Merseysiders claim to have met, but the club insist he will not be sold to a close rival.

Heinze is taking the issue to a Premier League arbitration panel on 20 August.

He has played in Ligue 1 before, with Paris St Germain, prior to his departure to Old Trafford in 2004.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163136394041424346 ... LastLast