Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Larsson returns for final

Henrik Larsson will travel to Wembley for the FA Cup final to see United play Chelsea on Saturday.

The Swede, who played 10 times for the Reds this season while on loan from Helsingborgs, scored in United's third round tie against Aston Villa and will attend the match as a guest of Manchester United.

"It's a great honour for me," Larsson told Icons.com. "It was an incredibly kind gesture for Sir Alex to invite me. He'd said if United got to a final I would be his guest and, as ever, he is a man of his word."

Larsson grew up in Sweden watching FA Cup finals and described the competition as "one of the most important in the world".

"It's nice to have been a very small part of the club getting to the final," he said of his three appearances in this season's competition.

"The team has done brilliantly to win the Premiership and play such great football all season and it would be a great way for the club to end the season with victory in the FA Cup."
    Haizz.... if onli he can play in the finals......

Old heads can carry on

Sir Alex Ferguson feels United's highly-decorated veterans can continue playing regularly for at least another couple of years.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (34), Ryan Giggs (33), Paul Scholes and Gary Neville (both 32) have been integral to United's Premiership success this season.

Far from looking to replace his experienced stars - who have an incredible 29 Premiership winners' medals between them - the Boss sees their influence continuing next term.

"Ryan, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville should be no problem for the next two years," said Sir Alex. "Nev could play till he’s 36, Paul Scholes has done remarkably well coming back, has had a great season and should be fine for two years.

"We don't have any immediate worries. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is 34 and he’s got me 11 goals this season. If he gets me another 11 goals next season we’ll be dancing!"

Giggs picked up a record-beating ninth Premiership title on Sunday, and Sir Alex feels the Welsh star's longevity is down to his flawless physical condition.

"I think Ryan, without question, will play for the next two years because he’s looked after himself, because of the type of physique he’s got," he said.

"He’s retained, quite remarkably, most of his pace. He may not be the absolutely greased lightning that he was as a 17-year-old lad, but he’s still quick enough and he’s retained that great balance of beating men in tight situations."

Part of the reason for Giggs' renaissance has been a positional switch from out and out winger to a more subtle, central attacking role.

"It suits Ryan, at his age, to be in far more protected position," admitted Sir Alex. "There have been games where I’ve played him wide left this season, but mainly we see him as a central player, either in midfield or playing off the front.

"For 15 years or so he’d been tramping up and down that touchline, and there’s no player in the Premier League that can do that or has done that.

"They’ve all either died, been shoved aside or folded, but he’s been amazing in terms of having the capacity to keep wanting to do it. The lad's truly amazing."

Sir Alex insists that he is happy for Giggs to prolong his international career, having struck up an understanding relationship with Welsh boss John Toshack.

"In fairness John Toshack’s been very accommodating and understanding of Ryan’s situation and age, and he’s been helpful," said Sir Alex.

"When he’s needed to rest him he’s rested him and therefore there’s a good harmony between Ryan and John Toshack which will help John a lot with the younger players he has now at his disposal, and helps Ryan for the programme we’ve got.

"I’ve not discussed that at all with Ryan, and as long as he’s happy with the situation, I’m happy to go along with it."
    As the sayings goes Oldies are Goldies!

Carlos: Sir Alex will keep going
    Assistant manager Carlos Queiroz says Sir Alex Ferguson has the desire and determination to lead United on to more success.

The Reds boss has confirmed he has no immediate plans for retirement, and Sir Alex's right-hand man is convinced of his insatiable hunger to win yet more trophies after claiming a ninth Premiership title this term.

"You can see [his desire] in his leadership of the staff and the players and his relationship with fans," Queiroz told MUTV. "With that desire I'm sure he is ready to claim more trophies."

The United coach says the team spirit in the dressing room has been hugely influential this season, and could again be if the Reds are to make it a "special" double by lifting the FA Cup this Saturday.

"The spirit at the club is fantastic," added Carlos. "It has probably been the key attribute this season. That comes from players like Ryan Giggs with nine league trophies, but also from the players in their first season here. All the players enjoyed the Premiership success in the same way.

"Everyone has grown up this season," he continued. "The experience, confidence and desire has been brilliant.

"Now we're looking forward to the FA Cup final. I promise that everyone will be ready to compete and hopefully to bring back a special double."

Papers: Closing in on Owen
    G-Owen To United
    Manchester United have agreed a deal to sign Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich. The Premiership champions will pay a basic £18million for the Canadian-born midfielder, plus additional sums based upon any trophies United win. Bayern have had their worst season in recent memory, finishing in fourth place in the German Bundesliga. And they now need to bring in funds for a major squad overhaul.
    Steve Goodman, Daily Star

As one player reportedly closes in on a move to Old Trafford, the Star reckon another is on his way out. The paper claims Louis Saha will leave United this summer after a row with Sir Alex Ferguson when the Frenchman asked for a week off after pulling out of the Manchester derby 11 days ago.

Ahead of Saturday's FA Cup final, Sir Alex reckons United will be ‘bouncing’ into the new Wembley to claim the FA Cup.

The extracts on this page are taken from selected national newspapers.

The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Manchester United.

Cole: We'll edge Cup final

Joe Cole is confident Chelsea will overcome United in Saturday's Wembley showpiece.

The Blues' midfielder reckons victory in the FA Cup final - the first at the newly converted stadium - would rank higher in the achievement stakes than winning the Champions League.

And after losing out to United in the title race, he believes Chelsea's determination to get one over on the Reds will see them through on Saturday.

"You can’t put enough emphasis on the importance of winning the FA Cup," insists the 25-year-old. "People underestimate its value, particularly to us English boys.

"I remember every single Cup Final, watching on TV or actually going to the game and, for me, it’s as big as the Champions League – if not bigger.

"This is the showpiece final, the best two teams in the country, and I think it will come down to small details to decided who wins it – a set-piece or the way one side defends. But I’m positive we’ll edge it because we’re so fired up."

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post

Champions again!

lol! Liverpool, this is how the trophy looks like!
    weldone to english king of england...from english king of Europe...

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    weldone to english king of england...from english king of Europe...
    I'll be praying hard that your team wins the CL again......because very soon, your proud domestic record is going down the drain! And next is CL! If not, u guys got nothing to brag about again. And oh, man this is sweet, we beat the 'english king of Europe' twice home and away this season!

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Omg, Ronaldo again!

Ronaldo's awards 2006/07

Barclays Player of the Month (November, December)
    PFA Fans' Player of the Month (October, February)
    PFA Player of the Year
    PFA Young Player of the Year
    PFA Fans' Player of the Year
    PFA Premiership Team of the Year
    Football Writers' Footballer of the Year
    Barclays Player of the Season
    Portuguese Sports Personality
    Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year
    Players' Player of the Year
    Wah he really swept the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Reds set for Inter friendly
    Seems like they cant have enough of Italians!
    Inter is ISA champions mah. Fitting for the English Champions. Spain not concluded yet.

Papers: Closing in on Owen
    Well I hope can close the deal asap and as cheap as possible. BM is very persistant on getting more $$$!

I'll be praying hard that your team wins the CL again......because very soon, your proud domestic record is going down the drain! And next is CL! If not, u guys got nothing to brag about again. And oh, man this is sweet, we beat the 'english king of Europe' twice home and away this season!
    Bro how soon is that 'soon' when mu beat the Proud Domestic record? We'll wait for that day to happen and till that day comes,the proud record still belongs to the only Red that matters,Liverpool...ermmm,tanx for praying a Liverpool win in tis coming CL finals, and as for beating Liverpool home and away this season,i congrats u again as u are indeed worthy champions...league table doesnt lie,though there r some elements of luck to mu along the way but then again,winners create their own luck dont they?

Bro how soon is that 'soon' when mu beat the Proud Domestic record? We'll wait for that day to happen and till that day comes,the proud record still belongs to the only Red that matters,Liverpool...ermmm,tanx for praying a Liverpool win in tis coming CL finals, and as for beating Liverpool home and away this season,i congrats u again as u are indeed worthy champions...league table doesnt lie,though there r some elements of luck to mu along the way but then again,winners create their own luck dont they?
    Winners create luck? i dun think so lor....
    Talking about luck we do not have the luxury the Blues are having to be exact from chirstmas till now the lady luck really fall for them till end Aprail lady luck then decided to switch camp

Neville ruled out of the final

United captain Gary Neville will miss the FA Cup final after undergoing an exploratory operation on his injured ankle.

The 32-year-old defender hasn't played since being injured in a tackle with Gary Speed in the match against Bolton Wanderers on 17 March.

There was a slim chance of a comeback before the end of the season, although Sir Alex Ferguson rated the Bury-born right-back as doubtful only last week.

He had been due to resume football training this week, but a United spokesperson told ManUtd.com on Tuesday that Neville's season is now over.

"Gary Neville has undergone an exploratory operation on his right ankle and he will miss the FA Cup final," read a statement to ManUtd.com.

Neville was on the pitch after the West Ham game to lift the Premiership trophy with Ryan Giggs, but fans will now have to wait until next season to see the Reds skipper in a United kit again.

Jose's selection headache

Jose Mourinho may have to resort to naming goalkeeper Hilario as a substitute striker such is Chelsea's injury crisis ahead of Saturday's FA Cup final.

The Blues could have just 15 senior players fit for the Wembley showpiece.

Andriy Shevchenko, Michael Ballack and Ricardo Carvalho are highly unlikely to feature in the match, while Arjen Robben, Ashley Cole and John Obi Mikel face a race against time to be fit, meaning Mourinho could have goalkeepers Hilario and Carlo Cudicini on the bench.

"If Ashley [Cole] is ready we have 15 players for the final," Mourinho told Chelsea TV.

"I will have to decide about Hilario because he is not bad playing forward or I'll bring one of the kids in to make 16."

John Obi Mikel limped out of Chelsea's final Premiership game of the campaign against Everton on Sunday and is another doubt for Saturday's final.

"We will see but I think he is out of the game," said Mourinho.
    U guys believe him?

Interview: Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo has wowed United fans with his trickery, goals and fantastic wing-play this term. Having won every individual award going, and a Premiership winners' medal to boot, we ask him, 'how was it for you?'...

You signed a new deal last month, how pleased are you to have sorted out your future?
    I am pleased that everything is sorted now. I believe I am at the right club and I am really happy here. The big reason I wanted to stay is to win trophies and because I’m enjoying playing in this team. The spirit is amazing at this club and everyone is playing with confidence.

It has been reported that both Real Madrid and Barcelona would like to sign you, what makes this the right club for you?
    Everything. I’m happy here with my colleagues, my friends, the coaches and the staff. I'm enjoying all of it, everything is good for me. Everyone at here has helped me in my short career and I feel like I’ve improved a lot since arriving when I was 18. I came at a young age and I've learned a lot, but I think I can still improve. This is a good moment for me and I want to keep it going.

You’ve won a host of individual awards, could you have imagined this season would be so successful for you?
    No, I didn’t. But I don’t approach a season thinking about how well I will do personally. I am confident in myself and my ability, but the main thing is that I am enjoying playing for Manchester United, and I want to play in every game. When people talk about individual awards, it is good because to be recognised for what you do on the pitch and the contribution you make to the team - it is a privilege. But awards I receive are not as special as the ones I share with my team-mates. We have all worked hard this season to win trophies.

What do you think has been the big difference in making everything come together for you this season?
    Every season I try to improve. I have learned a lot, but I think playing alongside great players like Giggsy, Scholesy and Wayne has made me a better player. This season I am more consistent and I understand the game a lot better, which comes with experience. I'm only 22 but I feel much more mature now.

A lot was said after the England game in the World Cup. Did that make you more focused?
    Of course it helped. There were times that were difficult, but it helped me learn and it is better to learn lessons when you are young. I gained a lot from the World Cup and it made me stronger mentally when I came back. I knew it would be difficult but I said to myself ‘I am ready for this’ and I just wanted to do my best. I have really enjoyed this season.

How did you cope with the reaction from fans?
    Some of it wasn’t very nice, but I never saw it as a problem. The opinion of the United fans was the most important thing to me and they have been amazing this season, not just towards me, but for the whole team. All the players have gained confidence because they know the supporters will always stick by the team. It is a special feeling to have those supporters behind you and it is why they are the best in the world.

How important have Sir Alex and Carlos been in helping you develop your game?
    The boss and Carlos have been great with me. It is good to have Carlos here because he speaks my language. But Sir Alex always supports me, too. He has helped me more than I could ask him to. He is a great coach and I am at this club for him and because of him. He is a great man, and he has been good for my development.

You have a lot of freedom to express your skill on the pitch here, is Sir Alex a big part of giving you that liberty?
    I always want to express myself on the pitch, Sir Alex gives me the opportunity and encouragement to do that. He says to me, ‘Cristiano, do what you do best – use your skills’. He gives me good confidence to create goals, either for myself or for the team, and that is a big part of my form this season.

The manager has been joking for the last few seasons about you needing to get more goals, and has had an ongoing bet with you. You won the bet this year, what made the difference?
    This season I have tried to get into the box more, to be more direct. I have tried to have more shots on goal as well, and that is the reason why I have scored more goals. The bet is not really serious, it’s more of a joke we have, but everyone talks about it a lot.

You’ve scored 23 goals this season – an incredible record for a midfielder…
    It is a good total, but I don’t play to be entered into the Guinness Book of Records! These statistics sound nice, but they are not what I focus on. You can’t admire your goalscoring figures too much before the season has finished, because there is always more you can do to help your team win more games and more trophies. I want to keep making assists and scoring goals because the most important thing is that the team wins. If I score more, great, but it’s not a problem to me if I don't.

The manager has said you were born to entertain on the football field. Do you see it that way?
    I think I was born with skill and tricks. That is natural, but I have to work very hard in training every day – I always have done – to try and improve. The supporters love to see something different, and this is what I try to do. I try to be part of the great things that are done on the pitch. I love to take on defenders and go past them and I think fans like to see that as well.

What is your favourite moment of the season so far?
    This season has been amazing so far and I don’t think I could pick one moment. I have many moments, and they are all special to me.

You’ve scored plenty of good goals this season, which is your favourite?
    I was really pleased with the one against Fulham. I think it was a great goal, but what I liked about it is that it was important for the team because it came in the last few moments of the game and we won.

Are you still learning new tricks, and how pleasing is it when you try new ones in a game and they come off?
    I have a few new tricks but I don’t know if I need to introduce them. I try new things in training, but I work on lots of things because that is the only way you can become the best, by working work hard. The most important thing is how and when you use your tricks. Knowing when to use your tricks is sometimes the best weapon.

You have already won an FA Cup winners’ medal but how special would it be to play in the first Cup final at Wembley?
    I’m really looking forward to playing in this great stadium. To be in the final of the FA Cup again would be very special because the tournament has great tradition in this country.

This interview was first published in the official monthly magazine, Inside United.

Winners create luck? i dun think so lor....
    Talking about luck we do not have the luxury the Blues are having to be exact from chirstmas till now the lady luck really fall for them till end Aprail lady luck then decided to switch camp
    there u said u have luck...end april onwards rite???

there u said u have luck...end april onwards rite???
    The best match is still ag LFC at Anfield. LFC reserved the best game for MU all seaon.

Yet when it comes to the crunch, LFC couldnt score. The worst is the gol keeper couldnt save the free kick when it really matters. It gave O Shea an OPPORTUNITY. The rest they say is history...

Counting on more luck? In life whether it is our daily lives, business, career , photog or even football, hard work and persistence will create opportunities and yes luck. If one doesnt take advantage of the opportunity then how to succeed?

2007 EPL Champ has 89 points; 3/4 placing has 68 points. Can someone count for me the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    The best match is still ag LFC at Anfield. LFC reserved the best game for MU all seaon.

Yet when it comes to the crunch, LFC couldnt score. The worst is the gol keeper couldnt save the free kick when it really matters. It gave O Shea an OPPORTUNITY. The rest they say is history...

Counting on more luck? In life whether it is our daily lives, business, career , photog or even football, hard work and persistence will create opportunities and yes luck. If one doesnt take advantage of the opportunity then how to succeed?

2007 EPL Champ has 89 points; 3/4 placing has 68 points. Can someone count for me the difference?
    89 points - 68 points = lotsa luck?

Quote Originally Posted by feimao07 View Post
    89 points - 68 points = lotsa luck?
    Not scoring opportunities?

sumtimes i just curious , 2 questions ..

how come there are so many liverpools fans ?

are they all uncles ? becos liverpool are only good in 70s to early 90s

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post

lol! Bad match. Made us look like playing against school boys! Let them have all the ball they want and when it matters, we just pop over to their box and scored! VDS was hardly tested. We can play Saha in defence and stick O'Shea upfront and still beat them! The match at OT was a stroll in the park!

Quote Originally Posted by legiz View Post
    sumtimes i just curious , 2 questions ..

how come there are so many liverpools fans ?

are they all uncles ? becos liverpool are only good in 70s to early 90s
    It is simple, back then, they're winning and is the most successful club. Everyone likes a winner and when some Liverpool fans said some Man Utd fans are 'fairweather' fans just because Man Utd is winning, I say, they're one themselves too.

roDz, in case u dunno, I always support english clubs in europe, dun care who, Arsenal, Millwall or whatever.

lol! Bad match. Made us look like playing against school boys! Let them have all the ball they want and when it matters, we just pop over to their box and scored! VDS was hardly tested. We can play Saha in defence and stick O'Shea upfront and still beat them! The match at OT was a stroll in the park!

It is simple, back then, they're winning and is the most successful club. Everyone likes a winner and when some Liverpool fans said some Man Utd fans are 'fairweather' fans just because Man Utd is winning, I say, they're one themselves too.

roDz, in case u dunno, I always support english clubs in europe, dun care who, Arsenal, Millwall or whatever.
    Pool vs mu at Anfield...if not for vds good goalkeeping and reina mistake,the match could go the other way...but as every knows...its the goal and result that matters..

If u say Pool fans are glory hunters...u are wrong in a sense that i still support Pool from 75 right thru the bad years and till today...forever...

fyi,i only support Liverpool from england...and Singapore la...ermmm sometimes Tampines Rovers coz i used to play for a team with the same name during my school days when there's no s-league yet...it's the old 1st division...

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345691429 ... LastLast