Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14293437383940414449 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Boss hails Dutch hero
    Sir Alex Ferguson hailed Edwin van der Sar's penalty shoot-out heroics after the Dutchman helped the Reds beat Chelsea in the FA Community Shield at Wembley.

The 36-year-old goalkeeper saved all three of the Blues' spot-kicks from Claudio Pizarro, Frank Lampard and Shaun Wright-Phillips in a dramatic shoot-out after the ninety minutes had ended 1-1.

Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney netted for the Reds, but it was van der Sar who rightly stole all the plaudits after the game.

"Edwin was absolutely marvellous," Sir Alex told Sky Sports. "He used his experience very well and that paid dividends for us.

"It's always satisfying to win, no matter what competition you're playing in. It was a difficult game and I think the heat played a part in that.

"I don't think either side was at their best but in my experience you get that in Community Shield matches. You use them as a stepping stone to the big one next weekend when the season starts.

"There wasn't a great deal between the two sides in terms of possession and play, but we made the better chances.

"It gave us a really good work-out - that's the most important thing we got out of it. A lot of the players are tired but it'll bring them on a good deal in terms of the tempo and sharpness they need to win matches."

Sir Alex insists the result means nothing in terms of the overall picture ahead of the new campaign.

"This result doesn't lay down any sort of marker," he declared. "I think everyone in the country knows which teams are going to be contesting the title. Arsenal and Liverpool will play a bigger part this season and that may be good for the game.

And as usual:
    Chelsea boss Mourinho defiant despite defeat

Jose Mourinho sent out a defiant message to the rest of the Premier League after refusing to dwell on the absence of captain John Terry and Didier Drogba in the FA Community Shield against Manchester United.

The teams were level at 1-1 after 90 minutes after new £13.5million signing Florent Malouda struck just before the interval to cancel out a 35th-minute opener from Ryan Giggs.

United goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar was the shoot-out hero with penalty saves from Claudio Pizarro, Frank Lampard and Shaun Wright-Phillips to give Sir Alex Ferguson's side some revenge for their FA Cup final defeat last May.

But with Terry ruled out for a month and Drogba sidelined after collecting a knock against Brondby, Chelsea face the start of the season without two of their most influential players.

Mourinho insisted he was unconcerned by the injuries and was ready for the start of the new campaign against Birmingham at Stamford Bridge next week.

He said: 'I am very happy with the players who took part today.

'When you ask me about John Terry and Didier Drogba or Michael Ballack, Salomon Kalou or Claude Makelele - all of the boys who were not here - I don't want to go in that direction because I want to respect the players I had here today.

'They played very well for me and I prefer to speak about them instead of the players not involved in the game.

'I now have to analyse the picture for the next two weeks to make my decisions in relation to the three matches we have to play against Birmingham, Reading and Liverpool.

'When you have so many injured players, you hope one or two can be back. I would be happy just to have Kalou. The situation was not easy to prepare for this game.

'But what makes me really happy and confident is that one side was a team almost in the maximum of their power if you look at Manchester United's team last season and the team they played here.

'If you look at the Chelsea team, we are speaking about less than 50% of the team. But we competed against them. They were not better than us, I am not going to say we were better than them but it is fair to say nobody was better than anybody.

'That has given us confidence for the start of the season against Birmingham.

'When the injured players are back, they are back. But I am ready to go, like I was today, ready to go to the fight with the boys who played today. I am happy with them.

'I work with them, I play with them and I trust them, so no problems.'

Mourinho was in a philosophical mood about the outcome of the game itself, insisting that his side controlled the contest with ease.

He added: 'Losing is losing. But losing on penalties is different to losing in 90 minutes.

'When you lose in 90 minutes, normally the best team wins. Penalties decide which teams win trophies or go through the next round of a competition, but they are details.

'If I analyse the game with the penalty details, I have to say they had an outstanding goalkeeper on the penalties and we had three boys who played very well but couldn't score their penalties.

'If I give my opinion about the 90 minutes, I think Chelsea did not deserve to lose. We controlled the game, not for 10, 15 or 20 minutes - we controlled the game for 90 minutes in quite an easy way.

'We played without a striker in the first half and when you do that it is difficult to bring the game into the opponent's half because you don't have a target man or someone to hold the ball-up.

'But even without a striker, the three boys in attack gave us life and speed and the goal was a good example of that.

'In the second half with Claudio the team had a presence there and we were playing much more in the opponent's half. But Pizarro could not play 90 minutes.

'He has had a problem in his back in the last two or three days and could not train.

'This was the first time in my life I have played without a striker. Formations depend on the players you have available. I want to play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but sometimes you have to adapt in relation to the players I have available.'
    Really cannot stand him!!!

Default Re: Battle of father n son!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Report: Peterboro 1 Utd XI 3
    Father snooked his son!

And as usual:
    Chelsea boss Mourinho defiant despite defeat

Really cannot stand him!!!
    He said that he will talk less but I think it will be the same. And anyway, the media will want him to talk.

Rooney: Bring on the season

Wayne Rooney says United's Community Shield win gives the Reds added confidence heading into the 2007/08 Barclays Premier League campaign.

Rooney tucked away the decisive penalty kick at Wembley after Edwin van der Sar saved Chelsea's three attempts.

"To win another bit of silverware is fantastic and it's a great start to the season," Rooney told Sky Sports.

"I can't wait for the league to begin. I've had a long time off and it was brilliant to be back on the pitch."

Ryan Giggs put United 1-0 up after 35 minutes before new Chelsea signing Florent Malouda equalised on the stroke of half-time. Neither side could add to the scoreline in the second period and the match went straight to penalties at the end of 90 minutes.

"The game went a bit dead in the second half but it's great we got the win," said Rooney. "Chelsea are a great side and you can't take anything away from them. The result could have gone either way and they played well. But, luckily for us, Edwin made three great saves."

Rooney also admitted United's pre-season trip to the Far East may have given the Reds a slight edge in a game that was played in intense heat.

"We felt okay out there. We went over to Asia and played in conditions that were quite similar. It was hot but you just have to get on with the game."

Giggs excited by Tevez arrival

Ryan Giggs admits he's "really excited" at the prospect of linking up with Carlos Tevez, even if the Argentine's arrival means more competition for places in United's starting XI.

Tevez is expected to sign for the Reds early this week after the Premier League accepted a proposal on Friday that will see the player's representatives pay West Ham a fee in the region of £2million.

The striker should make his first appearance for United in one of Wednesday's pre-season fixtures, either at Dunfermline or Glentoran.

"I'm really excited about Tevez," Giggs told MUTV after Sunday's Community Shield win.

"He trained with us on Friday and fitted in straight away. He's a quality player – we saw that towards the end of last season with West Ham – and he'll give us that extra dimension.

"We've got plenty of attacking options this year and it keeps all the players on their toes."

Attacking options give Carrick confidence

Michael Carrick has predicted great times lie ahead for Manchester United this season.

After collecting a Premier League winners' medal in his first season at Old Trafford, Carrick started off the new campaign in the best manner possible at Wembley yesterday, tucking home one of the penalties which saw United complete a spot-kick win over Chelsea to clinch the Community Shield.

Although it should be nothing more than an afterthought in the season as a whole, the victory proves United are in good spirits seven days before they start the defence of their Premier League title.

With Owen Hargreaves, Anderson and imminent signing Carlos Tevez yet to make a meaningful contribution and a host of star names due to return from injury, Carrick believes United have every reason to be optimistic.

'We have a fantastic squad with a lot of options in attacking areas,' said Carrick.

'If we can have a solid base and defend really well, we will always create chances and score a lot of goals.

'We know Chelsea have a very strong squad as well. It is going to be nip and tuck between us throughout the season and, if anything, it will be a bigger challenge for us than before because everyone else has improved. But hopefully, great times lie ahead for us.'

In a closely-contested encounter, marginally better than May's awful FA Cup final, skipper Ryan Giggs put United ahead before new-boy Florent Malouda converted a neat leveller for Chelsea just before the break.

Edwin van der Sar proved United's shoot-out hero, saving all three Blues penalties, allowing Wayne Rooney to complete victory after Rio Ferdinand and Michael Carrick had also scored.

Ferguson's squad will get one more run out before Reading head to Old Trafford next Sunday, with half his players heading across the Irish Sea to Glentoran, while the rest travel north to their manager's former club Dunfermline.

Providing there are no further complications with Tevez's arrival and his registration is completed with the Premier League either tomorrow or Wednesday as planned, the 23-year-old will be in one of the travelling parties.

Ferguson has not revealed which one but if Tevez produces an effective performance, he will be involved against Steve Coppell's men next weekend.

'Carlos has shown he can be one of the top strikers in the world,' said Ferguson.

'The boy has got something exceptional in him. He trained with us on Friday and Saturday and I was surprised how well he did. He looked quite sharp.

'It would be nice to think I could have him available for the Reading game but if not then I am sure about the following week.'

Before then, Ferguson must deal with the thorny issue of Gabriel Heinze.

The full-back is apparently set on a move to Liverpool, something the United camp refuse to countenance.

Heinze is due back in training today when it is expected he will have talks with Ferguson to try and resolve the dispute.

'I hope he turns up,' said Ferguson. 'He has been instructed to.'

This week, I look forward to the jersey nos

Giggs excited by Tevez arrival

This season like got a lot of friendlies. Asia tour = 4 games, and then 2 lower league clubs and then Inter and Charity Shield and now these 2? Total 10 friendlies?

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    This season like got a lot of friendlies. Asia tour = 4 games, and then 2 lower league clubs and then Inter and Charity Shield and now these 2? Total 10 friendlies?
    Ya lor ... feel dat its a bit overdose are we trying to hit 100 games per season and still win the treble! If cant win still got the excuse to say we play much more games then the others!

SAF is trying to get the 3 new signings chance to blend with the team. Looks side he can have a 2nd team to go for the League Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    SAF is trying to get the 3 new signings chance to blend with the team. Looks side he can have a 2nd team to go for the League Cup.
    We will be playing 2 games thurs morning! against Glentoran FC n Dunfermline Athletic both away match!!!

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pa...B83018A601D2}#

Tough.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Heinze vows to keep it 'professional'

Gabriel Heinze has promised to 'carry on like a professional' as he hopes to complete a controversial switch from Manchester United to Liverpool.

The Argentinian met manager Sir Alex Ferguson at United's Carrington training ground yesterday to discuss his future, having confirmed he has brought in lawyers to try to force through a move to Anfield after Manchester United refused to accept the Reds' bid.

But in the meantime Heinze has vowed to continue pre-season training with United and let the lawyers and club officials deal with his intended move.

He told The Daily Mail: 'I've fulfilled my duties by returning for training and I will now carry on like a professional. I will keep on coming to training and see what happens. I have a muscle injury in my leg but it is only minor and will not keep me out for long.'

But he added: 'I don't want to spend time at the club just waiting and not playing as I don't think that is in the best interests of the club or myself.

'I've spoken with the coach (Ferguson) and I have insisted that my wish is to leave the club if a big offer appears on the table.

'Today the only such offer is from Liverpool and it is this that is causing the problem. Earlier in the summer I received a promise from United that I could leave if the deal was good for both parties and at the moment there is an offer from Liverpool.'

Heinze had pledged to report for duty as ordered by Ferguson and duly arrived at the training complex yesterday morning following a brief break after his Copa America campaign with Argentina.

Ferguson was eager to speak with Heinze to establish his intentions after blaming the 29-year-old's agent for talking up a move to Liverpool, something United are implacably opposed to.

It was expected Ferguson would re-state a position of which chief executive David Gill verbally advised Heinze's agent; namely United will not sell any of their players to a major domestic rival, even though Liverpool have matched the Red Devils' stated £6.8million asking price.

Heinze has appointed a legal team to assess the validity of the letter Gill signed confirming a figure that would trigger his release.

For their part, United insist the note does not override Heinze's current contract, which still has two years to run. It is also thought Gill's verbal clause, which came before Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez made his interest known, was recorded.

Although it appears Heinze's position as a United player is now untenable, in theory at least the full-back could be asked to figure in one of two friendlies on Wednesday, at Dunfermline and Glentoran.

A more likely scenario would be for the player to remain in Manchester, while discussions continue over a resolution to the impasse, although, with United so steadfastly against letting Heinze become the first player to leave for Liverpool since Phil Chisnall in 1964, it is difficult to see much room for negotiation.

Pique pleased to be back

Spanish defender Gerard Pique is glad to be back in Manchester and training with the first team ahead of the new campaign.

Pique has returned from a season-long loan at Real Zaragoza, where he helped the Spaniards finish sixth behind Real Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Valencia and Villarreal.

His promising performances at the heart of Zaragoza’s defence were hugely impressive and prompted Sir Alex to recall the former Barcelona youngster for the start of the new season, where he is expected to act as an understudy to Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

Sporting a new close-cut hairstyle – the 20-year-old is grateful for the chance to try and push on into United’s first team.

“I saw what the lads achieved last season and just tried to keep my head down and do the best I could in the situation I was in," he told ManUtd.com. "This year I think the club will have another excellent season – and it would be great to be a part of that.”

Pique admits that the pace of the game in England is different and that he will have to adapt from playing in La Liga – but he is more than ready for the challenges that lie ahead.

“Everything is different when you play in another country," he admitted. "The style of play, the pace, the culture and the training. But I learned a lot last season and I’m looking forward for the chance to showing what I can do here.

"I’ve been back for a few sessions and I’m getting back into it – a few more and I’ll be ready to play I think. I just hope I get a chance to play at some stage.”

Rio bullish over title defence

Rio Ferdinand insists United will be fighting tooth and nail to retain the Barclays Premier League title this season.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have enjoyed busy summers strengthening their respective squads, but Reds defender Ferdinand is typically unflustered ahead of the new campaign.

"There's no chance of us giving up our title easily," he said. "I had a great end to last season and a great summer. You can't beat that kind of feeling. You can't put it into words and we'll be doing all we can to retain the title. But any year it's hard to win the league."

While United's title rivals are heavily reinforced going into the season, Ferdinand is hopeful the Reds' own new signings can bed in quicker than those elsewhere and give Sir Alex Ferguson's side an early edge.

"The fact other teams have spent a lot of money poses questions," he said. "But will they gel? Will they become better teams? Will it be harder for their manager to cope with loads of players in their squad? Will he be able to juggle things around?

"So it's all ifs and buts, really. We'll know by Christmas which teams have dealt with their new acquisitions well and how everyone is doing.

"We're very experienced in that capacity, so hopefully that will give us the step in front that we want. I don't really care what the likes of Chelsea or anyone else do. I'm happy with what we're doing - that's all I'm concentrating on."

United have enlisted Anderson, Nani and Owen Hargreaves this summer, with Carlos Tevez set to follow, and Ferdinand feels the Reds are in good shape for the new season.

"The manager's moves in the transfer market have been very good," he said. "Nani and Anderson are very good players with great potential. Hargreaves, as we know, is a great player and will prove a great acquisition as well. It looks good for us - but you always need a bit of luck in terms of injuries."
    Provided our defence got no problem! Think the defence need some wake up call!

Carrick: Signings will flourish

Michael Carrick insists United's summer signings won't take long to settle into life at Old Trafford.

He should know: 12 months ago, the former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder arrived in Manchester after a high-profile move that left him with a hefty price tag on his shoulders and a reputation to fulfil.

"As soon as you get in the dressing room there's a great bunch of lads and the staff are so friendly. You tend to settle very quickly," Carrick told ManUtd.com.

Indeed, Carrick found his feet almost immediately and forced his way into Sir Alex's starting XI. Once there, his form was so good that only Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney started more matches last season than the 24-year-old.

Now he believes the Reds' new signings will gel just as easily.

"I found that once I had a few games under my belt United really felt like home. It's a very enjoyable place to come and play football because everything else is taken care of; you don't have to think about anything other than playing football. That's the way it should be because, at the end of the day, players are judged on what we do on the pitch."

Despite the arrival of Owen Hargreaves in the summer, Carrick is confident of keeping his place in the manager's team. He does, however, accept he may not play quite so often this season.

"I played almost 50 games last season and that's the most I've ever played in one campaign. I was happy with my form and to be such a big part of what we achieved was very satisfying. But the quality we now have means you can't get too disappointed if you're not in the starting XI. Some games you'll play and some games you'll sit out."

The quality Carrick speaks of should enable United to challenge on all fronts this season.

"The Premier League is the big one for me, but the Champions League is obviously another main objective and the squad are really geared up for it. Last season we managed to get to the semi final and it didn't quite work out, but hopefully the new additions will give us that little bit extra."

The Tevez transfer saga is over and now we have another issue at hand i.e. Heinze wanting to bring the matter to a Premier League arbitration panel. I would say, let him go to Liverpool if he wants to. Heinze's heart is no longer with the team and no point holding on to a player who is no longer in his top form. The club kept faith with him when he was injured and out and now he's returning the favour by asking for a move to our arch rival, Liverpool. Such ingrate!

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    The Tevez transfer saga is over and now we have another issue at hand i.e. Heinze wanting to bring the matter to a Premier League arbitration panel. I would say, let him go to Liverpool if he wants to. Heinze's heart is no longer with the team and no point holding on to a player who is no longer in his top form. The club kept faith with him when he was injured and out and now he's returning the favour by asking for a move to our arch rival, Liverpool. Such ingrate!
    Being a foreigner to England he doesnt seem to be bothered about some unspoken understanding that you dont transfer to other rival teams.

All Man Utd fans, come, come, come, please show your support for the Red Devils by joining the Manchester United Singapore Supporters' Portal.

http://www.manutdsg.com/forum/index.php
    Last edited by redstorm; 7th August 2007 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    All Man Utd fans, come, come, come, please show your supporter for the Red Devils by joining the Manchester United Singapore Supporters' Portal.

http://www.manutdsg.com/forum/index.php
    I will register using same nick