Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9242932333435363944 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Boss keen on Tevez-Rooney axis

If Carlos Tevez can gain clearance to complete a move to United, Sir Alex Ferguson believes the Argentina international and Wayne Rooney can form an excellent strike partnership, despite suggestions that they are too similar to play in the same side.

The wrangle over ownership of the 23-year-old West Ham forward appears headed for the High Court after lawyers for Kia Joorabchian initiated legal proceedings against the Hammers. United are still confident that a solution can be found before the 31 August transfer deadline.

And Reds boss Sir Alex remains excited by prospect of Tevez linking up with United's no.10.

"I think Tevez and Wayne can play in the same side together," he told PA Sport. "I know people say they both like to drop deep but if you look at the FA Cup Final Wayne Rooney played up on his own and he was absolutely fantastic. That is where I see his future anyway.

"He can drop in and give defenders a problem. Equally so, Tevez showed against us on the final day and against plenty of other teams, when he plays right up he is a threat also because he can beat a man. Because he can beat the last defender he is a real threat. That is the advantage of taking someone like Tevez."

The move to try and sign Tevez was "came out of the blue", according to the United boss. "David [Gill] had discussions with his people and it was obvious we could get him.

"There was evidence that Carlos was, without question, a United player. He did a fantastic job for West Ham. He kept them up. I know Alan Curbishley came out and gave praise to the rest of his players but I think a good general opinion is that Carlos Tevez kept them up."

Tevez's arrival could mean a prolonged spell on the sidelines for some of United's other attackers, notably Alan Smith and Giuseppe Rossi. Both have been linked with moves elsewhere and Sir Alex admits he is unsure over their futures.

"When someone like Tevez comes along, it makes it difficult for people like Alan and Giuseppe Rossi in particular," he sympathised. "I have to look at Manchester United in a way of how do we improve to get better.

"Alan did fantastically well for us when he came back last season. He gave the team a spiritual lift when he came back in the FA Cup replay against Middlesbrough and Roma in the second leg. He was an inspiration. He is such a fighter.

"The quandry with Alan surrounds his long-term future in terms of getting regular games. He is 26/27 now and he wants to get regular football.

"In Giuseppe's case we have had some offers for him which puts you in a bit of a situation. If the Tevez deal goes through I would imagine Giuseppe will want to know if he is going to get enough football.

"The most important thing is that they are our players and we can make decisions on them whenever we like."

Sir Alex unhappy with Heinze's lack of loyalty

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes that interference from agents could be behind Gabriel Heinze's desire to leave the club.

Unsettled Heinze has been the subject of interest from United's rivals Liverpool in recent weeks, with Rafael Benitez believed to have bid around £7million for the Argentina defender, thereby meeting a valuation agreed between player and club.

With the threat of legal action surrounding the proposed transfer, it is a situation that threatens to get ugly but Ferguson insists relations between the Red Devils and Heinze are fine.

'We've looked after Gabi very well,' he told Sky Sports News.

'He had his cruciate knee operation and we looked after him. We let him do his rehabilitation in Spain, which he wanted and I think he's delighted at how we've treated him.

'We've conducted ourselves in a way that suited Gabi perfectly.

'I think that if we could take away the agent's role in this I don't think an awful lot is wrong with Gabi's position at the club.'

Ferguson also insisted that the left-back could have helped sell the club to potential new signing, Carlos Tevez.

Tevez is another player around whom legal wrangles linger with his representative Kia Joorabchian announcing he will take the case to the High Court.

The West Ham striker has complete negotiations with United, something Ferguson believes Heinze could have helped with.

'They have been away with the Argentina team. I'm sure Gabi's told him what a good club it is. There's nothing else he can say about Manchester United from his own experiences.'

Dong out to prove his worth

Dong Fangzhuo says he is determined to prove he is good enough to warrant a regular place in the Reds' first team squad ahead of the upcoming season.

The 22-year-old striker spent three years in Belgium at Royal Antwerp in a bid to gain European football experience. He was granted a work permit in January and signed a three-year contract at Old Trafford in the process.

Dong joined up with the Reds' Asia Tour squad earlier this week in Macau after spending the last month on international duty with China at the AFC Asian Cup.

He enjoyed a 30-minute run-out in United's 6-0 victory over Shenzhen FC on Monday and he's hoping he'll see more on-field action during the 2007/08 campaign.

"I am trying to prove I am good enough to play for Manchester United," he told PA Sport. "I need to train hard and work hard, but that is no problem for me.

"Like every Chinese player, it is tough when you move to a new country because of the language and the fact it is a different culture.

"But, while those three years at Antwerp were hard, in a way they may help me because I am used to playing in Europe now."

Hargreaves ruled out

Owen Hargreaves has been ruled out of United's final Asia Tour game against Guangzhou Pharmaceuticals on Friday after failing to overcome tendonitis in his knee.

The problem has prevented him from taking part in a full training session in the Far East.

With the start of the season less than two weeks away and Paul Scholes also on the sidelines, Sir Alex Ferguson will be keen to get his new signing back to fitness.

"Hargreaves won't be playing at all on the tour," said Ferguson. "It's just tendonitis. It's becoming an irritant rather than a big problem.

"It's something we're going to have to do something about - not an operation, but we may have to give him an injection at some time."
    season not yet start injured liao!

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    The last goal by Chris Eagle was a gem of a goal. Superb goal!!! I personally find him better than Alan Smith and Rossi.
    i think not very fair to compare the 3 players like this, since they play diff position and styles.
    but chris eagles finishing for the last couple or so of games has been pretty beautiful... not those typical lampard and gerard type of finishing (WHACK BALL HARD)
    Photo Album - Photo Album

btw, rooney's goal also very nice. the way he shoot, macham like in training grounds so relax. still can slowly look, think, aim, chip!

Guangzhou Pharmaceutical 0 - 3 Manchester United

Rooney's Penalty

Nani's Power Chip

Martin's Super Strike

Portsmouth jus beaten Liverpool in a penalty shoot-out...

both Torres n Benayourn failed to convert their spot-kicks...

Quote Originally Posted by feimao07 View Post
    Portsmouth jus beaten Liverpool in a penalty shoot-out...

both Torres n Benayourn failed to convert their spot-kicks...
    Think the both of them lack training in spot kicks

Sir Alex: This is Rooney's year

Wayne Rooney has been tipped to have a "great season" next year after his first uninterrupted pre-season with the Reds since joining in 2004.

Rooney finished up as United's joint-top goalscorer last term, alongside Cristiano Ronaldo with 23 goals. It followed a run of 11 goals in 16 games in the final three months of a campaign which began with some questioning his form.

But, according to Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson, the 21-year-old striker will benefit immeasurably from the freshness of having a rare close-season rest and full preparatory work ahead of the new campaign.

"He just loves football and loves training and he will be a big player next year, believe me," Sir Alex told The Sun.

"He will have a great season, because he's had a proper pre-season for the first time with us. He will be fine. Nothing bothers Wayne. He is incredible, a very strong character."

Rooney's insatiable hunger for football has left a lasting impression on the United boss, who describes the forward's appetite for training as "unbelievable".

"He's exceptional. He gets up and is the first in the training ground every morning," adds the boss. "We like the players to come in for breakfast and he is in at 8.45am, the first there. Unbelievable."
    Hope he will not have goal draught like last season!

Quote Originally Posted by feimao07 View Post
    Guangzhou Pharmaceutical 0 - 3 Manchester United

Rooney's Penalty

Nani's Power Chip

Martin's Super Strike
    Nani's Goal power man score from such a tight angle, Martin's shot similar to Chris Eagles.

Boss pleased with job done
    Sir Alex Ferguson was pleased to see his side cap an unbeaten and successful tour of the Far East with a 3-0 win over Guangzhou Pharmaceutical on Friday.

Wayne Rooney, Nani and Lee Martin were all on the scoresheet, taking the Reds to 15 goals in four games on the tour, which took in matches in Japan, Korea and China.

"It was very, very hot for them, at half-time there was a lot of fluid taken," he said. "But we won 3-0 and I think overall it was a very good tournament for us.

"I've been pleased with all of the goals, it is confidence-building for the new season when you go into a pre-season game and get that tempo and rhythm."

Sir Alex, who has been pleased with the two performances of Nani, says the Portuguese winger still needs to do some fitness work before the start of the campaign. "There's no problem, but he needs a lot of work; he has not had a lot of endurance work but there will be plenty of games for him before the season starts."

In injury news, Cristiano Ronaldo overcame a stubbed toe to make an appearance as a late substitute against Guangzhou, while Dong Fangzhuo picked up a slight ankle injury and could be out for two weeks. Sir Alex added: "We wanted to give Tomasz Kuszczak a chance (in place of Edwin van der Sar) and give Ryan Giggs a break."
    So far so good next round will be at OT in which Inter Milan will visit on 1st Aug!
    Follow by away to Doncaster Rovers 3rd Aug n away to Chelsea!

Fergie bullish as Heinze calls in the lawyers

Sir Alex Ferguson is confident Manchester United will win any legal fight with Gabriel Heinze over his proposed move to Liverpool.

It has now been confirmed that Heinze has employed a team of lawyers to investigate whether United are right to block a transfer to Anfield, even though Reds boss Rafael Benitez has met the £6.8million asking price for the 29-year-old.

The shock move effectively renders his Old Trafford future untenable.

Yet United are sticking to their guns in refusing to let Heinze become the first player to switch between the bitter north-west rivals since Phil Chisnall moved to Merseyside in 1964.

And, having ordered Heinze to be back in training on August 6, Ferguson has made it clear he expects the Argentina international to meet the deadline.

'We are aware Gaby is taking legal advice,' confirmed the United boss.

'That is good. I hope it is good advice because we are confident of our position.

'He is due back in training on August 6, which gives him three clear weeks' rest after the Copa America. And we expect him back in training a week on Monday.'

The deadline effectively gives Heinze's lawyers a week to find out if the former Paris St Germain defender has a case, which revolves around whether a letter, signed by chief executive David Gill, confirming the figure United would be prepared to sell Heinze for, overrides the player's contract, which still has two years to run.

Gill claims he informed Heinze's agent verbally, prior to Liverpool revealing their interest, that United would not be prepared to sell him to any of their three major domestic rivals; a discussion which is thought was recorded and could therefore, in theory, be used as part of any defence the Red Devils may wish to put forward in court.

The extraordinary prospect of United being sued by one of their own players has added a dramatic twist at the end of what has largely been a productive four-game Far East tour.

Heinze has been the subject of interest from overseas, with Real Madrid and Inter Milan among the clubs to express an interest.

But, the huge Spanish-speaking influence at Liverpool, plus an opportunity to remain in the north-west, appears to have an irresistible lure for the player.

After pinning much of the blame for the present situation on Heinze's agents, Ferguson must now accept the defender is also a prime mover.

After hailing the 2004 Olympic champion a hero, the tide of supporter goodwill is almost certain to turn against Heinze. Even if he remains at Old Trafford, it is difficult to see him being involved when the champions open the defence of their Premier League crown against Reading on August 12.

At least Ferguson has other, more positive, thoughts to occupy his mind as United head back to England tonight.

Aside from confirming an injury to Ryan Giggs which kept him out of the 3-0 win over Guangzhou Pharmaceutical was minor and that Cristiano Ronaldo did not start purely as a result of a stubbed toe, Ferguson said he also expects Owen Hargreaves to be able to play a full part in training on Tuesday.

In addition, he was able to enthuse about the performance of Nani, his £17million summer purchase from Sporting Lisbon.

After shrugging off an ankle injury suffered during the European Under-21 Championships, the teenage Portugal international made a goalscoring contribution to United's final two games on tour.

This evening's effort was a brilliant chip to the far post and having heeded Ferguson's advice to cut out the elaborate back-flip goal celebrations, Nani is clearly a quick learner.

And provided he soaks up a few lessons over the next fortnight, the 19-year-old could be an influential figure in United's pursuit of glory this term.

'We are trying to give him the football, mixed with a training programme that gets him up to our level,' said Ferguson.

'He is nowhere near that at the moment. But there are good signs. Some of his skill and speed at times is quite impressive.

'Scoring two goals in two games is a good start but I do think you will see a different player in two weeks' time.'

Wayne Rooney and Lee Martin were also on target but there was no goal on home soil for Dong Fangzhuo, while Alan Smith did not make much impression either.

With United remaining confident Carlos Tevez will arrive before the August 31 transfer deadline, it is difficult to see Smith hanging around much longer as he falls further down the pecking order and it just appears a question of time before he moves on.
    First TEVEZ now HEINZE !!! Seems like Man u got to go to courts for our transfer!
    Or is it for Argies onli!

Heard SAF wants to get Anelka if he can't sign Tevez in time before the window closes in end Aug.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...620645,00.html

Prob something about Argies. They dont seem to respect some protocol.

Remember Falkland Wars, they wanna play play with the Brits. The rest they say is history.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Fergie bullish as Heinze calls in the lawyers

First TEVEZ now HEINZE !!! Seems like Man u got to go to courts for our transfer!
    Or is it for Argies onli!

Seems like both are troublesome but only 1 is worth the trouble. Heinze, at 29 and losing his pace and conceeding some goals and at 6.8m, it is actually worth the deal. We bought him at 7m and only sell at 0.2m loss is a great deal. If its not Liv, I'm sure he will be sold in a heartbeat!

Liv is also a bit thick. Dun want to sell to rivials like them, Chelsea and Arsenal also dun understand and Heinze is still a Man Utd player with 2 years left in his contract.

Its a pity that our fav dumping ground, Real Madrid did not follow up. If not, it will be a pleasure doing business with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Heard SAF wants to get Anelka if he can't sign Tevez in time before the window closes in end Aug.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...620645,00.html
    I dun mind him, he is still a very good striker. But.......

Tevez agent hints at end to saga

Carlos Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian has hinted that the striker's proposed move to Manchester United may be settled out of court.
    Joorabchian's companies MSI and Just Sports Inc claim they own the economic rights to the 23-year-old.

Tevez's current side West Ham dispute this and Joorabchian's companies have issued the club with a High Court writ.

But Joorabchian told the Daily Star newspaper: "There is a possibility it may get resolved next week."

Tevez's transfer to the Premier League champions has stalled over who will be paid the £30m transfer fee - with Joorabchian's companies issued legal proceedings against the Hammers.

Thats good news if Tevez can finally go to Man U.

Looking forward to see Tevez putting on the Red Devils jersey.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Looking forward to see Tevez putting on the Red Devils jersey.
    No 19 still available

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Rossi and Pique staying on

yay thats the way SAF!