Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222730313233343742 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    well, if i'm SAF, i will invest in an up and coming POTENTIAL striker rather than a proven one, and i think Rossi is good for Man Utd if he is to be played alongside looner.....

oops...loooney!
    Oi.....bro soong, still drunk ah?

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Oi.....bro soong, still drunk ah?
    got myself drunk after became jobless...

but now managed to get a job.....

and drunk again...

so it proves.....to be able to get a job, one must get drunk first.... LOL

sounds like failure is the mother of success...
    and since assumptions are a basis of failures...

thus we must first assume to succeed

okay, sorry, i'm incoherent liao
    *hic*

Since FIFA have already stepped in, I believe the matter can be resolved very soon. Man U are confident they can sign him before the transfer windows closes in end of Aug.
    I read from somewhere (I forgot where) that it will take FIFA 2 weeks to assemble a panel for this case and it will take at least to mid Aug. If they dilly dally, then hiaz.... but the transfer window rules are set by them, so maybe, maybe it will be a special case.

If FIFA can't resolve it, then it will go to the courts liao and Tevez will only be able to join in Jan earliest if the ruling is in Man Utd's favour.

Seems like SAF and Man Utd think Tevez is worth the trouble but I guess at this stage, just have to fight on.

FC Seoul 0 Man Utd 4

Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney were both on target as Manchester United provided an expectant South Korean public with the goals they craved.

In sticky and humid conditions, the Red Devils turned on the style, smashing home three goals inside the opening 20 minutes before Patrice Evra's second-half effort wrapped up an easy win.

Sir Alex Ferguson must have been particularly delighted to see Ronaldo and Rooney link up so well after pairing the youngsters together in attack during the opening period, an attacking unit that could well be used in the Premier League this term, even if the champions will face far stiffer tests than this.

When United make their bold statements about the huge size of their fan base, they are usually met with a roll of the eyes from sceptics who remain steadfast in their belief the club's core support remains in Salford and Stretford.

But here, approximately 6,000 miles away in South Korea, evidence of the Red Devils' global appeal was in clear evidence.

There is no doubt Park Ji-sung's arrival has fuelled interest in day-to-day events at Old Trafford but judging by the massive cheers which rolled around the ground every time the pictures of veteran pair Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes were shown on big screens, United had their followers in this part of the world long before that.

All 60,000 tickets were snapped up within six hours even though the Koreans knew Park had no chance of playing.

Instead, they were able to cheer two undoubted world stars in Ronaldo and Rooney, who both made a major contribution to United's flying start.

A vicious dipping volley from Ronaldo had already flown just over when he collected Rooney's square ball, advanced a couple of strides and then belted a shot into the bottom corner.

Ronaldo then provided the telling pass for Chris Eagles to convert a well-taken second.

Within two minutes, Rooney had powered home his first goal of United's pre-season campaign, darting forward to collect Ronaldo's square pass before unleashing a shot that FC Seoul keeper Kim Byung-ji was unable to stop.

A cynic could argue the goals generated too much noise for Seoul's World Cup Stadium to be turned into Old Trafford for the day. Chants of 'Glory, Glory Man United' were clearly heard though as the capacity crowd enthusiastically celebrated the Red Devils first visit to their country.

Giggs and Scholes were introduced off the bench at half-time, as was Alan Smith, whom Ferguson confirmed yesterday could leave the club this summer if the Carlos Tevez deal eventually goes through.

However, Nani was not fit enough to take part even though the £18million new boy is virtually over the ankle injury he suffered on duty for Portugal at the European Under-21 Championships.

With temperatures above 27 degrees and the humidity level at 75%, United would have been forgiven for easing off in the second half.

Yet Evra had enough strength in his legs to slot home a fourth just before the hour.
    Last edited by redstorm; 20th July 2007 at 09:28 PM.

Wow 4-0. So siao on?

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    Wow 4-0. So siao on?
    Siao on i dun think so lah...... think they are only in second gear!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Siao on i dun think so lah...... think they are only in second gear!
    They are just experimenting playing 2 Rs upfront : Rooney and Ronaldo

Date set for Fifa Tevez meeting

Fifa and Football Association legal representatives will meet on Monday to discuss the Carlos Tevez saga.
    Manchester United and West Ham have asked world football's governing body to settle a dispute over who owns the Argentine striker.

Fifa spokesman Andreas Herren said: "My understanding is that the meeting will be with members of the FA.

"My understanding is that a senior lawyer from the FA will come to Zurich to meet our senior legal people."

Manchester United are expecting the Tevez affair to be resolved before the transfer window closes on 31 August.

United chief executive David Gill said: "Fifa and the necessary bodies will try to make sure that the player can play, whether it's for United or West Ham.

Gill added: "The issue is effectively who owns the economic rights to the player, who owns the registration of that player, and therefore what happens to any monies that we might pay.

"Can he unilaterally terminate his registration? Can he move on? That's the fundamental issue.

"Theoretically, you can go from the Dispute Resolution Chamber [at Fifa] to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"Whether both parties choose to do that, we'll have to see, but that would be the final arbiter."

Yes Man U fans have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    They are just experimenting playing 2 Rs upfront : Rooney and Ronaldo
    Ronaldo was silver boot winner last year....so who else can argue if he wants to play striker...and he had scored 2 in pre season so far.....Compared to Chelsea...they need JT scrambling goal to defeat the LA Galaxy....everything just looks so positive for us in this coming season

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Ronaldo was silver boot winner last year....so who else can argue if he wants to play striker...and he had scored 2 in pre season so far.....Compared to Chelsea...they need JT scrambling goal to defeat the LA Galaxy....everything just looks so positive for us in this coming season
    Thats why dunno wanna retain SVC or not after the $$$ increase!

Thats why dunno wanna retain SVC or not after the $$$ increase!
    Bite the bullet n continue to watch the live matches in order to support our devils.

Bite the bullet n continue to watch the live matches in order to support our devils.
    Yeah I wanna but hiaz......

Read today's newpaper. It says that starfuk will not co-operate with espn to broadcast next seasons' matches. It will be a no frills type or a new broadcaster. This company is really getting shitty! Maybe wanna switch to Mio liao and then subscribe to MUTV online....

Yeah I wanna but hiaz......

Read today's newpaper. It says that starfuk will not co-operate with espn to broadcast next seasons' matches. It will be a no frills type or a new broadcaster. This company is really getting shitty! Maybe wanna switch to Mio liao and then subscribe to MUTV online....
    does that means we wont get epl coverage next season?
    i thought they increase the price to 25 a month for sports channels becos of EPL?
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    does that means we wont get epl coverage next season?
    i thought they increase the price to 25 a month for sports channels becos of EPL?
    Got la, they won the rights but they will not use espn to broadcast. Either it will be a no frills type or a new broadcaster. I dunno what channels will it be on and it better not be no frills type or on digital cable as I dun see the 'value in it' after the $10 increament. Starhub always say 'value for money' and so we shall see what can they offer.

When I read their reply, its more and more bull crap and just avoiding the issue. Till now, still dunno what kind of show will it be.

Off the shoulder of Orion, near the Tannhauser gate

Got la, they won the rights but they will not use espn to broadcast. Either it will be a no frills type or a new broadcaster. I dunno what channels will it be on and it better not be no frills type or on digital cable as I dun see the 'value in it' after the $10 increament. Starhub always say 'value for money' and so we shall see what can they offer.

When I read their reply, its more and more bull crap and just avoiding the issue. Till now, still dunno what kind of show will it be.
    I actually like the whole ESPN/Star package as it is (the awful and useless Paul Masefield aside), with Here We Go, Football Focus, First Edition and the rest. These will be excluded from broadcast if a deal between Starcrap and ESPN does not materialise.

We will be paying more but getting less if that is the case.
    Last edited by RSU; 23rd July 2007 at 02:23 PM.

Heinze expected for pre-season

Sir Alex Ferguson fully expects Gabriel Heinze to report back for pre-season training in two weeks time.

The want-away Argentine defender is currently on holiday having spent the last month on international duty with his country at the Copa America.

United turned a near £7million bid down for the 29-year-old from Liverpool last week following months of speculation over his future.

Despite having not personally spoken to the player himself, Sir Alex insists Heinze will report back to Old Trafford next month.

"I do not need to discuss anything with him," said the Reds' boss. "I expect him back in training in about two weeks' time.

"He is currently on holiday after the Copa America, which is natural because he needs a rest, just the same as every other player.

"Meanwhile, we are trying to steer our way through the minefield because his it is his agent's mark behind what is happening at the moment.

"They have been pretty difficult people to deal with."
    So meaning he may not be moving???

Last edited by melvin; 23rd July 2007 at 04:33 PM.

Queiroz lauds new duo

Carlos Queiroz has described new signings Nani and Anderson as artists of the game and is backing them to follow in Cristiano Ronaldo's footsteps and achieve big things at Old Trafford.

The Portuguese coach played an important role in bringing the duo to the club thanks to his connections in his homeland where the pair have plyed their trade for the past few years. Queiroz is excited by their arrival and is confident their unique qualities will ensure they become big stars at United.

"I have known about Nani and Anderson for a long time," Queiroz told ManUtd.com. "They are special players with great gifts and talent.

"We believe they are two of the most qualified players of their generation in terms of being a footballer. They are skilful players. Their technique is excellent. They have great pace.

"Nani has truly outstanding speed, while Anderson has power and a fantastic left foot. Both are the kind of players that before they become players are really artists in the game.

"They are the type of players we should bring to United. Just like Ronaldo. He's more of an artist than a player. We believe Nani and Anderson are the same type of player."
    Same as in ???

Owen sympathises with Tevez

Owen Hargreaves admits he can fully relate to the frustrations Carlos Tevez will be feeling at the moment over his proposed switch to United.

Tevez must wait for the outcome of a FIFA investigation before he discovers whether or not his move to Old Trafford will go through before the transfer window shuts next month.

Hargreaves found himself in a similar position this time last year when, having expressed a desire to join the Reds, his club at the time, Bayern Munich, blocked his departure.

United failed in their attempts to sign the England midfielder in January, before finally completing the deal earlier this summer. Hargreaves sympathises with the Argentine and is hopeful that he'll receive clearance to join the Reds in the near future.

"Sometimes these things are difficult," Hargreaves told PA Sport. "We are all aware Carlos Tevez is a fantastic player who is obviously wanted by the club. It is tough to say what the situation is at the moment but once it is sorted out, I am sure he will be eager to come here.

"When a team like Manchester United express their interest it is hard to say no, especially for someone like myself - I dreamt of having an opportunity like this my whole life.

"Every player would love the opportunity to come and play here and I am sure he is exactly the same."

Hargreaves was already familiar with many of his United team-mates before he joined having spent time with them on international duty for England. He says he is loving life at Old Trafford and is excited about the season ahead.

"Settling-in has been easy. The transition has been very smooth for me because I know a lot of the players already," he explained. "I have been on the training ground with them at Carrington, I am used to playing at Old Trafford with England. All these little things mean the transition has been smooth.

United is used to signing new players and having new faces come in. The atmosphere in the dressing room is fantastic and everyone seems to get on. It is a very loose, fun atmosphere.

"We can be very pleased with the squad we have," he added. "We have great options. Each player is very different and very unique. We are all pieces of a puzzle and you can put that puzzle together in many different ways. The important thing is that Manchester United is successful.

"Michael Carrick said not every player is going to play in every game. That is a fact. If, at the end of the season, we have a couple of titles in our hands, everyone will be very happy."

Less then 3hrs NANI will debut against Shenzhen FC at 2000hrs singapore time!

Nani set for Reds bow

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Nani is on course to make his United debut against Shenzhen FC on Monday.

The match, which is live on MUTV Online and MUTV for UK and Eire subscribers, kicks off at 13:00 BST in Macau and the Portuguese winger is likely to feature in the Reds' third game of their Asia Tour having overcome an ankle problem.

Owen Hargreaves is again a big doubt for the game because of a knee complaint, but the 16,000 Reds' fans who will pack into the Macau Stadium seem set to witness at least one United debutant in action.

"Nani should be ready for Monday," revealed Sir Alex at his pre-match press conference. "He's been training well and should feature during the match. Owen has been doing some good training and is not far away.

"It should be another tough game for us. The first two matches have been of a good standard and I expect the same again on Monday."