Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202528293031323540 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Papers: Roy raids Reds?

Keane closes on £5m Kieran
    Roy Keane is going back to Manchester United to sign winger Kieran Richardson for Sunderland in a £5.5million deal. And the big-spending Black Cats boss is also offering England wide boy Richardson £35,000 a week to talk him into joining his Premiership campaign. Keane has decided to spend Sunderland's millions in a hurry after being frustrated on several fronts – and his cash will see off rival interest from Everton who were thinking of half of that sum and a fraction of the salary. Ricahrdson, who has two goals in eight internationals, is likely to follow his former skipper to Wearside by the weekend.
    Alan Nixon, Daily Mirror

The same piece suggests Richardson has been told by Sir Alex that he will not be part of United's Asian tour party, which leaves for the Far East on Sunday.

Elsewhere, there are plenty of column inches devoted to the Carlos Tevez transfer saga. The Daily Express believe the player's agent and West Ham are working on a behind-the-scenes compromise that will avoid involvement from the courts, FIFA and the FA.

The Sun reports Newcastle United striker Michael Owen, who's been persistently linked with a move to Old Trafford this summer, insists he will remain at St. James' Park. "This club has so much potential," the former Liverpool hitman said. "I want to help realise it."

Round up by Nick Coppack

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post

So its just preference? Because I tot u said Tevez is similar to Rooney and Torres is in the same position as well. I think the reason is clear, SAF dun want to wait too long for his new striker to settle in England and Man Utd. Next season, he wants to have a go at CL as well. So he rather play safe and get someone already settled in England.
    what i meant was when i said tevez is similar to rooney was their playing style, not in the position that they play in. why i prefer torres is becos he is quite tall and strong can withstand some pushing. hence he can make a good post player for our counter attacks where he holds up the ball for other teammates to run up front. and he can also provide some goals, as he has good shooting technique and can do those "turn-and-shoot" to surprise defenders.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    what i meant was when i said tevez is similar to rooney was their playing style, not in the position that they play in. why i prefer torres is becos he is quite tall and strong can withstand some pushing. hence he can make a good post player for our counter attacks where he holds up the ball for other teammates to run up front. and he can also provide some goals, as he has good shooting technique and can do those "turn-and-shoot" to surprise defenders.
    I dun want to argue about this anymore but are u implying that Torres is stronger than Rooney/Tevez? If u think Torres is stronger than Tevez, then, Rooney is weaker than him as well?

Sheff Utd lose High Court appeal

Hammers angry at Tevez move claim

Things look bad now. Dun think we have a chance of a quick solution. Looks like the FA and FIFA might get involve and even the courts.

Tevez is reported to do his med check up on Tue

Reds confident on Tevez

Sir Alex Ferguson seemed confident that his attempt to bring West Ham striker Carlos Tevez to Old Trafford are edging ever closer.

The United boss admitted on Monday that he had expected the transfer to be completed last weekend. But conflicting reports in the past few days have suggested that the deal for the 23-year-old Argentina international has been on the brink of completion or, elsewhere, on the brink of collapse.

However, Sir Alex has faith that a conlusion will soon be reached.

"I think we have got the player * we think he is our player and are very hopeful," he told Sky Sports News on Thursday evening.
    "The Premier League seem to be holding back, I think they probably want to make sure everything is transparent. We want that to be the case * we don't want a bad taste surrounding the transfer, we want it done cleanly."

The Reds boss admired Tevez from afar and up close last season, the striker overcame a period of acclimatisation in the Premier League to become they key figure in West Ham's resurgence in form and their eventually successful battle against relegation.

Tevez's match-winning goal against United on the final day of the season guaranteed West Ham's survival, and his sublime finish brought first-hand confirmation for Sir Alex that he could perform on the Old Trafford stage.

"I think his form kept West Ham up," added Sir Alex. "And as far as our club are concerned, everyone was excited when we thought we could get him. He's exciting, his form is fantastic and at 23 he can get better."

Boss: Gunners won't miss Henry

Sir Alex says Arsenal will pose an even greater threat to United this season, despite losing Thierry Henry.

Henry, long considered one of the finest talents in the Premier League and a two-time FIFA World Player of the Year runner-up, left the Gunners last month to join Spanish giants Barcelona.

But while many believe the London club will struggle without the 29-year-old, the United boss says Arsenal will emerge stronger.

"I think it was time for him to go," Sir Alex told reporters at a Labour Party football dinner at Wembley Stadium on Thursday night.

"I think Arsene [Wenger] knew that and I think they'll be better. Without question, I'm more convinced that they'll be in the top four without Henry."

The Frenchman scored nine times in 15 appearances against the Reds during his Arsenal career, including a last-minute winner in January 2007 at the Emirates Stadium.

The United boss also laughed off claims from Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho that he would be under intense pressure to achieve results having spent heavily in the transfer market this summer.

"It's an amazing statement actually," he said. "I don't think he knows I've been here for 20 years. Whether he is trying to transfer some of the pressure - maybe he's under pressure himself, I don't know. I thought it was quite funny."

Anderson will be patient

United's Brazilian midfielder accepts that he may have to start his Old Trafford career on the bench as part of a squad rotation policy next season.

Sir Alex Ferguson's summer spending has all been on strengthening his options in midfield.

It will be no easy task trying to accommodate Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Cristiano Ronaldo, Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves, Darren Fletcher, Nani, Anderson and Ji-sung Park.

The permutations are numerous and 19-year-old Brazil international Anderson, who is currently on Copa America duty, knows he may have to be patient.

"There will be rotation because it's a long season," he says.

"All the players understand that, we're all prepared to play when called upon."

But the skilful attacker wouldn't be adverse to seeing another addition to United's squad in the form of West Ham target Carlos Tevez.

"He's a great player and you can't have too many great players," Anderson added.

Reds head to Tokyo

Sir Alex Ferguson has taken a 24-man squad to the Far East for United's pre-season tour of Asia.

Gary Neville, Louis Saha, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Ji-sung Park, Anderson, Gabriel Heinze, Dong Fangzhuo, Ben Foster and Kieran Richardson were not included in the squad due to injury or international commitments. But new signings Owen Hargreaves and Nani were both named among the list of travelling players.

The squad departed Manchester Airport on Sunday afternoon destined for Japan where the Reds kick-off the tour on Tuesday against Urawa Red Diamonds at the Saitama Stadium in Tokyo.

After a three-day stay in the Japanese capital, the party head to Korea to take on FC Seoul at the Seoul World Cup Stadium on Friday 20 July.

Next up is a match with Shenzhen FC at Macau's National Stadium on Monday 23 July, before the final game in China where the Reds will play Guangzhou Pharmaceutical FC at the Guangdong Olymipic Stadium in Guangzhou on Friday 27 July.

ManUtd.com is travelling with the team to bring you daily news from inside the United camp. All matches are live on MUTV Online and MUTV (UK and Eire only).

Travelling Squad: Van der Sar, Kuszcak, Heaton; Evra, Ferdinand, Brown, Vidic, Silvestre, O'Shea, J.Evans, Bardsley, Simpson; Carrick, Scholes, Giggs (c), Ronaldo, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Nani, Eagles, Gibson, Martin; Rooney, Smith.

Sad to hear that G Heinze has indicated he wants to move according to reports.

Dont think he could ever move to LFC. Real Madrid is a v likely destination

At left back, other than Evra, OShea, Silvestre and Simpson can play left back.

The Carlos Tevez saga is very complicated. Hope it will be resolved soon and we will have another good striker.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post

I think its better he goes if SAF intend to bring in a new guy. I think Heinze is begining to lose it liao. Although he is a fan fav, I think he is begining to be a liability!

Tevez saga is really a drag. They should just get FIFA in and solve it once and for all.

Man Utd suffer Park injury blow
    Manchester United midfielder Park Ji-Sung may be sidelined until January because of a knee injury.
    The South Korean international, 26, had an operation towards the end of last season and now faces a lengthy lay-off.

"He will not be available until December or January," said United boss Sir Alex Ferguson ahead of the club's pre-season tour of the Far East.

"It is very disappointing news but hopefully we have the squad to cover injuries this year."

Sunderland sign winger Richardson
    Sunderland have completed the signing of England midfielder Kieran Richardson from Manchester United.
    The 22-year-old has signed a four-year contract at the Stadium of Light and joins for an undisclosed fee, thought to be in the region of £5.5m.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane said: "I'm well aware of what a good player and a good lad he is. He's ready for a fresh challenge and we can provide that."

Richardson added: "Sunderland is a big club and it's a great move for me."

Heinze keen to make Man Utd exit
    Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says defender Gabriel Heinze wants to leave Old Trafford.
    The 29-year-old has been playing in the Copa America for Argentina and he has been linked with moves to Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle and Juventus.
    Ferguson said: "Gaby's agent has advised us that he wants to move on.

"I am not too sure about that and we do not have a concrete offer but there is momentum regarding his next move, even if nothing is close right now."

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    I dun want to argue about this anymore but are u implying that Torres is stronger than Rooney/Tevez? If u think Torres is stronger than Tevez, then, Rooney is weaker than him as well?
    haha no, of cos not. rooney and tevez is stronger.

why i prefer torres is becos he is quite tall and strong can withstand some pushing. hence he can make a good post player for our counter attacks where he holds up the ball for other teammates to run up front.
    as i quote my own reply above. i prefer torres as he is taller, and he is quite strong. so he can help win headers and hold ball when we pump the ball up to counter attack. tevez and rooney issnt exactly tall and is diff for them to win headers.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post

haii, looks like 1 of our better left back will be going
    i really prefer him to oshea and silves.

All the best for Richardson. I am sure he will be the first choice in the smaller clubs in the EPL. At Man U, he doenst really have opportunities.

haha no, of cos not. rooney and tevez is stronger.

as i quote my own reply above. i prefer torres as he is taller, and he is quite strong. so he can help win headers and hold ball when we pump the ball up to counter attack. tevez and rooney issnt exactly tall and is diff for them to win headers.
    I get your point but I hope u have been watching Man Utd play these last few years. Man Utd never pump the ball up to counter. Its always a low pass. The days of Becks long range passing is long over. The only part is during crosses but tall players does not mean they're good at heading. Look at Crouch.

Back in May, SAF made it clear what he wants in a striker. Can hold the ball and pace, thats all. Saha has those qualities but he is always injured and he can only play the main striker role. With Tevez, he and Rooney can switch during games and confuse defenders. Much more flexibility as he can play on the wings as well and Ronaldo can cut in more often to shoot at goal.

This is the future of Man Utd's attack. Like it or not, just have to accept it unless dun support them anymore. SAF swiched to this style when he sold RVN. I will prefer a traditional striker but this style offers more flexibility and excitement. Attack comes from many angles.

As for Henize, his last season performance isn't too great. Got beaten many times due to his lack of pace. If he can't accept being number 2, then its better he leaves. He will not be 1st choice left back at Man Utd unless he regain his pace, which is unlikely given his age. I like him but he have to go. Man Utd requires a faster left back. I hope Evans from the reserves can make it.

Report: Urawa 2 United 2

Despite scoring twice in a frantic five-minute period at the start of the second half, United ended the first Asia Tour match on level terms with Urawa Red Diamonds in Tokyo's Saitama Stadium.

Inspired by goals from Darren Fletcher and Cristiano Ronaldo, the Reds overturned a 1-0 half-time deficit to take the lead on 52 minutes. But drizzly conditions and a late equaliser from home crowd favourite Shinji Ono put a dampener on proceedings.

Despite the rain, both sides were determined to keep the ball on the ground and Paul Scholes was particularly effective early on, orchestrating United's attacks from the centre of midfield. Cristiano Ronaldo didn't disappoint his admirers either, pulling out his party tricks as early as the second minute.

The Portuguese winger, who drew cheers with every touch, forced Urawa Reds goalkeeper Tsukuki into his first save on 25 minutes when he shot fiercely towards the near post.

But a minute later, the Premier League champions were behind. Urawa's Hideki Uchidate found space in the United half and let fly from 30 yards with a shot that swerved wickedly past Edwin van der Sar. In fact, the deviation was so severe, van der Sar was left diving in the wrong direction.

Urawa threatened again four minutes later but then seemed content to settle on the ball. So it was left to Wayne Rooney to inject a little sparkle into the match. With 43 minutes on the clock, Rooney provided an inch-perfect cross for Paul Scholes, but the midfielder could only steer his header into the arms of a grateful Tsukuki.

A minute later, the England striker had everyone at the Saitama Stadium on their feet after coming within a whisker of a spectacular equaliser. Rooney picked up the ball inside the United half before turning on the speed to brush aside what seemed like most of the Urawa defence. But, when left with only Tsukuki to beat, the Reds' no.8 scuffed his shot and the goalkeeper stretched out a right boot to divert it around the post.

Sir Alex made three changes at the interval, bringing on defenders Danny Simpson, Johnny Evans and Mikael Silvestre for Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra. Perhaps it should have been the home side shoring up the defence. It wasn't, and within seven minutes of the restart, United were 2-1 up.

Darren Fletcher scored the equaliser from 12 yards after substitute goalkeeper Yamagishi failed to hold a Michael Carrick shot moments earlier. Then, in the 52nd minute, the crowd got what they came for when Cristiano Ronaldo cut inside from the left wing to unleash a rasping drive past Yamagishi at the near post. It was typical of so many of Ronaldo's goals last season and a reminder of how dangerous the Portuguese winger can be when given space.

United looked comfortable thereafter but failed to capitalise on a number of half chances. Shinji Ono, however, was lethal when presented an opportunity in the 78th minute. The midfielder showed enormous composure to turn Johnny Evans and roll the ball coolly past Edwin van der Sar and into the far corner.

It was the last significant piece of action in an entertaining and free-flowing affair. The Reds now travel to South Korea for Friday's match against FC Seoul (kick-off 12:00 BST).

Team Line-ups:

United: Van der Sar, Brown, Ferdinand (Evans, 45), Vidic (Simpson, 45), Evra (Silvestre, 45), Ronaldo, Fletcher, Carrick (O'Shea, 69), Giggs (Smith, 69), Scholes, Rooney
    Subs: Kuszczak, Heaton, Bardsley

Urawa Red Diamonds: Tsukuki (Yamagishi, 45), Hosogai, Horinouchi, Nene, Yamada, Uchidate (Hiriwaka, 45), Hasebe, Soma (Okano, 91), Ono, Ponte (Koike, 83), Tanaka (Nagai, 75)
    Subs: Tsutsumi, Sakai, Nishizawa

Sir Alex pleased with run-out
    Sir Alex Ferguson was pleased with his players after their first run-out in the 2-2 draw with Urawa Red Diamonds at the Saitama Stadium in Tokyo.

United came from a goal down to lead 2-1 with second-half strikes from Darren Fletcher and Cristiano Ronaldo, but Urawa Reds staged a comeback to level at 2-2. But, Reds boss Sir Alex considered a good first run-out.

"We tired a little in the second half," he told MUTV. "That's understandable after a long journey. It's 14 or 15 hours' travel so that's difficult. The players applied themselves well and played some good football at times. We managed to get quite a few of them a good run out, so we're happy with that.

"We came back well," he added. "We started the second half with a bit of speed and we did all right. Towards the end of the game the legs went a bit. But some of the players played very well.

"[Rooney and Ronaldo] were both excellent. You can see the development in their game and the decision-making is getting better. We're very happy with them."

Sir Alex was also praised young defenders Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson, who came on at half time for Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

"Jonny and Danny did okay," he said. "I think Jonny could have maybe done better on the second goal but it was a good start for him. We know his potential, he's a fantastic young player and young Simpson did really well – his energy up and down the line was good."

United are next in action against FC Seoul on Friday (KO 12:00 noon BST) where Owen Hargreaves and Nani could get their first appearances in a red shirt. The match is live on MUTV Online and MUTV.

Tevez deal excites Sir Bobby

Sir Bobby Charlton has described Carlos Tevez as a "tremendous prospect" and hopes he can swiftly complete a move to Old Trafford.

United Chief Executive David Gill revealed on Monday that the Argentine attacker will undergo a medical this week before completing his switch from West Ham.

Sir Bobby feels the 23-year-old will fit in perfectly with the Reds and believes he will thrive on the Old Trafford stage.

"Hopefully, we can complete the signing of Carlos sooner rather than later. He is a tremendous prospect," insisted Sir Bobby at a press conference in Japan to promote the Manchester United Opus.

"Maybe there is a legal process to be gone through before it can all happen but we all hope it is done sooner rather than later."

United already have an exciting array of attacking talent, but Sir Bobby says the acquisition of Tevez would only add to the Reds' potency going forward.

"I have talked before about the exciting players we try to bring to this club, and Carlos Tevez is one of them. He is a marvellous talent and we are always interested in bringing talented players to our club."

Hammers block Tevez Man Utd medical

Manchester United's hopes of Carlos Tevez undergoing a medical on Wednesday are in limbo after they failed to secure permission for the tests from West Ham.

The Argentina striker was due to fly in to Manchester tonight and United had been preparing to put the 23-year-old to go through a series of fitness and medical checks.

However, one club is not allowed to give a player a medical unless his current club agree and although United have made West Ham aware of their wishes, the London side will not give formal permission for a medical until they have been made - and accepted - an offer.

West Ham remain adamant they hold Tevez's registration, that he is contracted to them for another three years and that they have unilaterally terminated all third-party agreements with Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian.

Joorabchian maintains his company Media Sports Investments (MSI) own the economic rights to the player, who has already agreed personal terms with Manchester United.

United chief executive David Gill, who is in the Far East on the club's tour, insisted yesterday a medical would take place this week but said the deal had become 'over-complicated'.

Gill said: 'Effectively, we are trying to work with four parties - the player, West Ham, the company who own Carlos' economic rights and the Premier League - in order to sort it out.

'The process is ongoing. The player will have a medical at some point this week, then we will take it from there.

'We still have to sort out the paperwork but we are confident that can be achieved in the course of the next week or so.'

United are understood to have agreed an initial loan deal for Tevez with a view to a permanent transfer, a similar deal to that which took Javier Mascherano from West Ham to Liverpool in January.

That hit a stumbling block however because in January, West Ham cancelled Mascherano's registration.

The Premier League are not allowing the club to do the same procedure with Tevez on the basis that such a move would indicate the original agreements with Joorabchian were still binding despite assurances to the contrary.

The Argentina striker last week submitted a written request to West Ham asking to be released from his contract but the Hammers stuck to the Premier League's advice and refused to do so.

The League have made it clear they expect a significant chunk of any transfer fee to remain with West Ham rather than be passed on to Joorabchian as compensation for breaching the contracts he had with the club.

Manchester United and West Ham had held talks at the Premier League's offices in London on Tuesday in an effort to resolve the situation but no agreement was reached. A West Ham spokesman confirmed talks had taken place.

The club spokesman told PA Sport: 'Meetings have taken place between the two clubs but no agreement has been reached in relation to Carlos Tevez.'