Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192427282930313439 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Spending surprises Sir Alex

On the day Sir Alex paraded two new signings and confirmed the Reds were in talks with West Ham over striker Carlos Tevez, the United boss admitted he was surprised other Premier League clubs had so far been thrifty in their summer spending.

Most reports estimate United's transfer bill will surpass the £70m mark if the Reds are successful in luring Tevez away from Upton Park. In contrast, Chelsea have acquired four players on free transfers, while Arsenal have generated more than they've spent after offloading Thierry Henry to Spanish giants Barcelona.

"I thought there would have been more spending," Sir Alex said at yesterday's press conference. "There's a lot of money in the Premier League at the moment, so I expected more [transfer activity]. That's one of the reasons we wanted to do things so quickly [with Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves]. That allowed me to enjoy my holiday – I didn't have to be on the phone to David Gill every two minutes. It was a good bit of business."

The manager also praised the Glazer family, who took over ownership of the club in May 2005.
    "They've been nothing but supportive," Sir Alex said. "They've demonstrated that support by giving us a lot of money this summer and I appreciate it. I think it gives us a really strong squad this season, which was maybe our downfall last season when we just didn't have enough of a squad to handle all the competitions we were in.

"Hopefully with the addition of Owen, Nani and Anderson – and another signing soon – we'll have a promising start to the season."

Departures may happen

Sir Alex admits the recent influx of players at United could spell the end for others.

Alan Smith, Kieran Richardson, Gabriel Heinze, Mikael Silvestre and Louis Saha have all been linked with moves away from the club. And the speculation has intensified following the arrivals of Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson.

The United boss is loathed to lose any members of his bulging squad but understands that some may look elsewhere for regular first team football.

"I don't expect anyone to leave but it's possible it may happen simply because of the number of players we now have," he says.

"Players understand today that in order to challenge for major trophies, you need a strong squad.

"No-one will play all the games next year and hopefully the players will accept that and get on with the business of trying to achieve success for us.

"Some of them will view the situation we have at the moment and think they may not get enough games to satisfy them. But there are no decisions on anyone at the moment."

Ferguson happy with strength in depth

Sir Alex Ferguson is confident his lightning strike on the summer transfer market will ensure Manchester United are strong enough to survive any major mishap next season.

Although United managed to end a four-year drought by lifting the Premier League trophy last season, they were unable to withstand a catalogue of injuries and eventually fell to AC Milan in the Champions League semi-final and Chelsea in the FA Cup final.

It was a situation Ferguson was anxious to address and after luring Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson to Old Trafford within a fortnight of the season ending, he is now intent on ensuring Argentina striker Carlos Tevez is a Red Devil by the time his side begin the defence of their crown against Reading next month as well.

And once Tevez is on board, even though Ferguson accepts there are bound to be some departures, the United boss feels he will have the depth of quality to sustain a challenge for honours on all fronts.

``When it came to the latter part of last season, we just did not have a squad strong enough to handle all the competitions we were in,'' he said.

``We had a great opportunity in three competitions but we could not stretch our squad far enough to save legs when we needed to.

``The evidence of last season tells you we need a very strong squad and I feel we have that now.

``Yes, it is going to take management. No-one is going to play all the games next season and hopefully the players accept that.''

Whether the likes of Gabriel Heinze, Alan Smith, Kieran Richardson, Giuseppe Rossi and Gerard Pique - who have all been linked with big-money moves away from Old Trafford - are among the consenting voices remains to be seen.

Ferguson would be a reluctant seller but accepts exits may be an inevitable consequence of his rebuilding.

``I don't expect anybody to leave but it may happen because some players will view the situation and think maybe they won't get enough games to satisfy them, but there are no decisions made at the moment,'' he said.

Ferguson stated neither Nani, nor Anderson, the young duo who have arrived from Portugal at great expense, would be exposed too much next term.

Hargreaves is another matter entirely though.

Having waited so patiently to get his man, Ferguson is now looking for the 26-year-old to provide the discipline and experience he learned in a decade of service at Bayern Munich.

``Owen brings a lot of speed to the midfield and a good energy,'' he said. ``He also has a lot of European experience, which not many players have.

'His time in the Bundesliga brings us something different, which will help us as the season goes on.' end

Papers: Kenyon staggered

Big buys don't guarantee title
    Peter Kenyon has been staggered by United this summer. The Chelsea chief executive said: "I'm astonished at how much they've spent. We've worked our way through our own list of targets, but most haven't cost a penny in transfer fees. "Splashing out on huge amounts is no guarantee of winning titles. We believe in the team we've got here, and we do not want to go around spending £100million every year. "Losing the title and going out of the Champions League semi-final on penalties last season has provided us with an extra motivation for this coming campaign."
    John Edwards, Daily Mail

That same paper, as well as the other dailies, report extensively on yesterday's press conference at Carrington, with most focussing on Sir Alex's pledge that Carlos Tevez's arrival is imminent.

The Mirror also pick up on the manager's warning to the current squad that nobody will play every game this season. Sir Alex underlined the importance of building a strong squad and said he believed United would have had a "terrific chance" of reaching last year's Champions League final had he been able to pick from a larger pool of players.

Elsewhere, The Daily Telegraph suggest Giuseppe Rossi will remain at Old Trafford, despite interest from Italian side Parma, where the young striker starred last season while on loan.

Finally, The Times believe Newcastle United have now entered the race for Argentina international Gabriel Heinze.

Round up by Nick Coppack

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Departures may happen

"I don't expect anyone to leave but it's possible it may happen simply because of the number of players we now have," he says.

He can't be serious! He gotta sell Richardson!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    He can't be serious! He gotta sell Richardson!
    maybe he is forming Team A n Team B of 1st eleven one for EPL the other for all the other cup competition!

Ex-Red tips United to succeed

Reds legend Arthur Albiston believes United's new signings could pave the way for even more success this season.

Albiston, who played 485 times for United between 1974 and 1988, highlighted the difficulties the Reds faced when it came to the back end of the last campaign.

"We suffered last season in April and March when we had a few injuries and the odd suspension," Albiston told ManUtd.com. "We probably weren't able to cope with those setbacks as well as the manager would have liked.

"The new signings have boosted the squad, without a doubt. They're all young lads who are at the right age. And Owen Hargreaves has a lot of experience already, especially in Europe.

"The other two lads – Nani and Anderson – have their careers ahead of them, so I think it bodes well for the next few years."

Albiston also said it was important United begin the season with a bang. Last year the Reds enjoyed their best ever start to a Premier League campaign and the ex Scotland international is calling for more of the same.

"You need to get a few wins under your belt early on," he said. "We saw what a difference that can make last season when we got ahead of Chelsea and stayed ahead. Mentally, it's very tiring to try and grind down a lead. Once you get behind, it can take months to overturn even a six or nine-point deficit."

Reds aiming for Europe

Premier League title success capped off an excellent campaign for the Reds last term, but the signings of Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson indicate that the semi final exit in the Champions League hurt Sir Alex Ferguson.

The United boss admitted as much at the press conference to unveil Nani and Hargreaves on Monday, saying: "Last year was the third time we have failed in a semi-final, and we don't like that. We should be doing better.”

Having beaten AC Milan 3-2 at Old Trafford, the Reds – hampered by a spate of injuries – looked out of steam in the return leg at the San Siro, going down 3-0 to the eventual winners.

“That was maybe the downfall last season,” said Sir Alex. “When it came to the final two months of the season we didn’t have the squad to deal with all the competitions we were in.

“Signing Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson does give us a better chance. It brings us quality and experience of Europe, and good intensity in our play. I am very hopeful we can do better."

That doesn’t mean that United are solely focused on Europe. Retaining the league title, which would put the Reds one championship win behind Liverpool’s record, remains high on the list of priorities.

"We have said this time and time again, we’re forced to challenge for the Premier League because it’s such a competitive league and such a tribal situation. It is like a tribal war," he added. "But, without question, in terms of the profile of our club, and I have said it many times, we should have done better in Europe.”

League warns West Ham over Tevez
    The Premier League has warned West Ham they risk more disciplinary action over the Carlos Tevez saga if they do not receive a transfer fee for the striker.

Both Premier League and West Ham really screw up. They must be hating Man Utd for wanting Tevez and stirring up this shi.t. Sheff Utd must be thanking us!

If Inter buys him, I think both Premier League and West Ham will breadth a sigh of relief!

League warns West Ham over Tevez
    The Premier League has warned West Ham they risk more disciplinary action over the Carlos Tevez saga if they do not receive a transfer fee for the striker.

Both Premier League and West Ham really screw up. They must be hating Man Utd for wanting Tevez and stirring up this shi.t. Sheff Utd must be thanking us!

If Inter buys him, I think both Premier League and West Ham will breadth a sigh of relief!
    If FIFA were to step in dunno what the out come will be?

If FIFA were to step in dunno what the out come will be?
    HUUNTELAAAAAR

y never buy the hunter

:sad:

Courts to see more papers on Tevez case?

Kia Joorabchian is prepared to hand over all the documentation relating to Carlos Tevez's contract at West Ham if Friday's High Court ruling goes in favour of Sheffield United.

The Championship club are pursuing legal action after the Premier League inquiry decided not to dock West Ham points for breaking two regulations regarding their signing of Tevez and fellow Argentinian Javier Mascherano.

Sheffield United were subsequently relegated on the last day of the season.

The Blades' lawyers have been in touch with Joorabchian this week and they privately believe the club have a strong chance of winning a favourable verdict on Friday.

A source close to Joorabchian said: 'If the judge rules all the paperwork must be made public we will be forced to co-operate.

'We have no idea how significant the paperwork may be - all we know is we have done nothing wrong.'

It is understood the documentation could potentially be harmful to West Ham's case and in the long run that may go some way to helping settle the contractual wrangle which is holding up Tevez's transfer to Manchester United.

But Joorabchian would prefer for the matter to be settled out of court.

Joorabchian and Tevez wrote to West Ham on Tuesday and the Premier League asking for
    the player's registration and contract to be cancelled - but their approach was turned down.

Joorabchian is also considering an appeal for FIFA to step in as arbiters to try to untangle the contractual mess.

FIFA say they may be prepared to step in to settle the transfer dispute - but they have yet to receive any official request to do so.

Football's world governing body can become involved if there is an international element to a transfer or if they are asked to by the FA.

Tevez's move to United has stalled due to the Premier League's insistence that West Ham must receive the bulk of the reported £30million fee.

Tevez's representative, businessman Joorabchian, claims he owns the player's economic rights.

A FIFA spokesman said: 'We have not received any official request from any of the parties involved so far.

'If we do receive a request we would then decide whether we have to look at it or if it is up to the FA to rule on it.

'The FA could also ask us for guidance and send us all the relevant information.'
    How did the Blades come into the pict?

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    HUUNTELAAAAAR

y never buy the hunter

:sad:
    they are too busy wif Tevez case they forget about him

Torres, along with Crouch plays in the same position as Rooney and Tevez in case u dunno. The one that is an out and out striker is Hunntelar.

Here, someone did the explaining. He explains best. I've did said the same thing too at HWZ's Man Utd thread.
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showp...0&postcount=61

FYI, Tevez plays on the flanks for Argentina as well.
    well, someone was comparing torres or tevez above.... so i just commented that i would prefer torres over tevez. idealy, i would prefer an out and out striker like hunntelar, or even quagliarella. plus they should cost less.

in that HWZ thread u pointed out, the guy said:
    "Many times last season, Man Utd played without a clear target man, but look how it turned out in the end."
    for me, i felt that a number of times last season, we had to depend on ronaldo's individual brilliance whether for assist or goal. we cannot always depend on 1 guy only...
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Torrid is not in Man U without a clear cut reason from SAF.

Tevez was very impressive whether he played ag Man U or other teams.

Other than a recognise strikers in Saha, Rooney and Solskjaer.

Just like the team in the 1990s, the goals scored were spread out and last season almost everyone scored. This way no opposition can tighten their defence on any player

Tevez and Rooney can play upfront and wing; Ronaldo can play from wing to upfront plus other players contributing to goals, Man U will not be short of goals

Any goal from any player is important. Just remember O Shea 's last min goal against LFC

Courts to see more papers on Tevez case?

How did the Blades come into the pict?

They are always in the pict. Sheff Utd is the reason why the league bosses insist the transfer $$$ to be paid to West Ham. It is a massive cover up and both the Premier League and West Ham have to cover their backside now that Sheff Utd went to high court.

Who are they trying to bluff? By tearing up the contract, Tevez automatically becomes a West Ham player without paying a single cent? It dun work this way and no legal system will recognise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    well, someone was comparing torres or tevez above.... so i just commented that i would prefer torres over tevez. idealy, i would prefer an out and out striker like hunntelar, or even quagliarella. plus they should cost less.

in that HWZ thread u pointed out, the guy said:
    "Many times last season, Man Utd played without a clear target man, but look how it turned out in the end."
    for me, i felt that a number of times last season, we had to depend on ronaldo's individual brilliance whether for assist or goal. we cannot always depend on 1 guy only...
    So its just preference? Because I tot u said Tevez is similar to Rooney and Torres is in the same position as well. I think the reason is clear, SAF dun want to wait too long for his new striker to settle in England and Man Utd. Next season, he wants to have a go at CL as well. So he rather play safe and get someone already settled in England.

Dun forget, Rooney, Saha and ole scored a handfull last season as well. By buying Tevez does not mean he and Rooney will not score a lot of goals. By buying Torres will not guarantee he will score a lot as he is also not a traditional target man. Man Utd's system changed already. Don't want to go back to RVN days when all goals are relied on him. If he misfires, its a gonner.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    Torrid is not in Man U without a clear cut reason from SAF.

Tevez was very impressive whether he played ag Man U or other teams.
    SAF said Man Utd was in talks for Tevez for 4-5 weeks. So I guess it was back in early June when it all started and Torres was not really in the picture as the Spanish league ended mid June.

I watched him play for Argie in Copa America. He is really the nunsiance. He creates a lot of trouble against other teams. A lot of assist, wins fouls and penalties. Any attacking team mate that play with him will have a easy time because he does a lot of attacking. Now it remains to be seen if he can perform against Brazil.

Copa America final: Argentina Vs Brazil.

Tevez transfer to be finalised next week

Irwin: Owen is the key man

Former Red Denis Irwin has tipped Owen Hargreaves to make all the difference to United's team next season, and says the midfielder is Sir Alex Ferguson's best purchase of the summer.

Reds boss Sir Alex has said that, although attackers Nani and Anderson will get plenty of games for the Reds next term, they are "for the future".

However, former full-back Irwin expects Hargreaves to make the biggest and most immediate impact of the trio.

"Hargreaves really adds something to the squad because I don't think we've got a player like him in the current side," Irwin told MUTV. "He had a fantastic World Cup last summer and I just feel that he is going to be our biggest summer signing."

The signing of Hargreaves ended a year-long chase to bring the 26-year-old England international to Old Trafford. Irwin firmly believes it will be well worth the wait, adding that Bayern Munich's reluctance to sell is a very good sign.

"He's got experience having played for Bayern Munich for seven years," he said. "And their determination to keep him just shows how valuable he was and how highly they regarded him. I think he's going to be a really good signing for us."

United fans will get the first glimpse of how Hargreaves settles into the team when the Reds embark on a four-game tour of the Far East. The players, who have been training at Carrington, leave on Sunday before the first match against Urawa Red Diamonds on Tuesday.
    At last the day have come to see the trio in action!

Heinze: I've talked with Tevez
    Gabriel Heinze admits he encouraged Carlos Tevez to choose United, despite interest in the striker from a host of top European clubs.

And although the 23-year-old's transfer has hit a snag, media reports today suggest the deal may be completed by the weekend.

Heinze, who is currently playing alongside Tevez for Argentina in the Copa America competition, told Icons.com he has held detailed discussions with the West Ham player about life at Old Trafford.

"I told him that he is going to receive a lot of help to make progress," Heinze said. "It is a team that gives you a lot of prestige, both personal and professional. And he is going there at the right time. He is 23 years old so what else could he ask for?

"It makes me feel very happy that Tevez might come to United. If everything goes okay he will be joining an amazing club. He will arrive to a team that always draws up the highest objectives and where your only concern is to play football, because all the rest is taken care of."

Whether or not Heinze will still be at Old Trafford to welcome Tevez's arrival is still open for debate. A strong of clubs have publicly declared their interest in the 29-year-old, who faces strong competition from Patrice Evra for the Reds' left back spot.

"I still don't know what I am going to do," Heinze admitted. "I'm going to start thinking about that after the Copa America. The interest in me from important teams such as Liverpool, Juventus and Real Madrid makes me feel proud, but I feel very comfortable in Manchester and I'm grateful for everything I've experienced there."

Owen aids Reds' scoring threat

United could score more goals with Owen Hargreaves in the team, according to an independent football statistician.

Hargreaves, who arrived at Old Trafford earlier this month after a year-long chase to sign the midfielder from Bayern Munich, is seen as a defensive midfielder.

But the 26-year-old’s tireless box-to-box work, breaking up play and releasing the ball to United’s attacking players, could glean more goals in a side that struck a staggering 123 in all competitions last season.

“Hargreaves will be deployed as a deep-lying player with energy to get up and down and provide protection for the defence,” Steve McCormack, of statbunker.com, told the Manchester Evening News.

“But the other benefits will be for the likes of Scholes and Carrick. It could help to push Scholes further forward in a role he used to be so effective in.

“Without Keane, Scholes’ goal touch has diminished. He had time out with the eye injury but his goal figures for the last two seasons were the worst back-to-back campaigns he’s had in terms of goals since he first broke into the team. In the last two campaigns his ratio has been a goal every 6.25 games, compared to his previous average of a goal every 3.68 games.

"Hargreaves playing deep and protecting the defence could allow Scholes more freedom and see that average rise again. The same with Carrick, whose strike-rate is a goal every 17.17 matches.

"Owen isn’t a prolific goalscorer but he does free up other players. Take Michael Ballack. When he was at Bayern Munich, he scored 43 times in the four seasons he played with the England midfielder.”