Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12172021222324273247 ... LastLast

Thread: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Default Re: Manchester United Part IV: English Premier League Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    OBE is 1 rank higher than MBE. Knighthood is higher. I think u cannot 'sir' la unless u receive a knighthood and is a Brit citizen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_o...British_Empire
    For "Sir", what I know is that as long as you are citizen of a British Commonwealth country, u can use the title before your name; not just for British citizens.
    Last edited by redstorm; 16th June 2007 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    United winger Ryan Giggs has been awarded an OBE for services to football in the Queen's Birthday Honours List. Our old boy, Terry Sheringham also made the list. Congrats to both of them. They deserve it.
    I think Beckham also got it a few years ago

Eidur G from Iceland is a good choice

agreed. he is good at assists and passes, and finishing issnt bad either.
    just that hes 29 and might only play a few more years...
    Photo Album - Photo Album

nani scored yet another goal for portugal U-21 side in their 4 nil thrashing on israel but too bad belgium managed a draw with holland to see them thru' to the semis...

nani was also the key-man for the side durin' tat match but i think he got stretched-off late in the match after a challenge...hope he's okay...

Quote Originally Posted by feimao07 View Post
    nani scored yet another goal for portugal U-21 side in their 4 nil thrashing on israel but too bad belgium managed a draw with holland to see them thru' to the semis...

nani was also the key-man for the side durin' tat match but i think he got stretched-off late in the match after a challenge...hope he's okay...
    I hope he is alright.

Rossi eager for chance at Man Utd
    Giuseppe Rossi has urged Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to give him the chance to stake a first-team claim at Old Trafford next season.
    The 20-year-old striker was loaned out to Newcastle at the start of last season before joining Parma, where he enjoyed a good run in their side.

"It is all a bit confusing at the moment," said Rossi.

"All I will say is that my main goal is still what it always has been - to cut it with Manchester United."

Today's transfer rumours:

Tottenham are ready to make a £3m swoop for Inter Milan defender Marco Materazzi, the player who was headbutted by France's Zinedine Zidane in the 2006 World Cup final. (The People)

Curtis Davies is set to ask West Brom for a transfer, with Tottenham tipped to make a bid for the defender. (Sunday Mirror)

Liverpool midfield target Yossi Benayoun will tell West Ham he wants to leave when he returns from holiday this week. (The People)

Manchester United striker Giuseppe Rossi, who has been linked to Juventus and who had loan spells at Newcastle and Parma, wants to be given the chance to prove himself at Old Trafford. (Various)

Striker Carlos Tevez, who has been linked with a move to Inter Milan, is on the verge of agreeing a deal to stay at West Ham, which would cost the London club £9m for the next season. (News of the World)

Chelsea winger Arjen Robben turned down two offers of a new deal in the past week and wants permission to speak to Real Madrid about a move. (News of the World)

Arsenal's board of directors have told manager Arsene Wenger they would not stand in his way if he wants to sell striker Thierry Henry to Barcelona. (Mail on Sunday)

West Ham are targeting Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen. (Sunday Express)

West Ham want Benfica midfielder Manuel Fernandes, who had spells with Portsmouth and Everton. (The People)

Middlesbrough want midfielders Gary O'Neil and Sean Davis in a swap deal for Portsmouth target Yakubu. (The People)

Sheffield United captain Phil Jagielka, who has been linked to Everton and Wigan, will stay with the club if they are saved from relegation by the Premier League's arbitration panel. (The People)

Everton have joined Fulham, Blackburn and Middlesbrough in the battle for West Ham striker Bobby Zamora. (News of the World)

Wigan are set to join the race to land Blackburn midfielder Robbie Savage, who is also a target of Sheffield United. (News of the World)

Liverpool have opened talks with Real Zaragoza striker Diego Milito. (Various)

Ipswich are eyeing Birmingham midfielder Neil Kilkenny. (The People)

Fulham have made the first firm bid for West Ham striker Marlon Harewood, who has been told he can leave. (The People)

Sunderland are set to make a £2.5m bid for Bolton keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen. (The People)

Lyon's Alou Diarra and Watford's Hamuer Bouazza are top of Portsmouth's midfield shopping list. (The People)

Celtic are keen on Barcelona midfielder Ludovic Giuly, who has also been linked to Monaco, Marseille, Newcastle and Tottenham. (The People)

Everton are poised to make a £2.5m bid for Manchester United striker Alan Smith. (News of the World)

West Ham midfielder Hayden Mullins, who was part of the failed deal to take Charlton striker Darren Bent to Upton Park, is still set to join the Addicks. (News of the World)

Newcastle are preparing a £7m swoop for Sevilla striker Fredi Kanoute. (News of the World)

Manchester City defender Danny Mills is attracting the attention of Rangers. (News of the World)

Portsmouth are chasing Maccabi Haifa striker Roberto Colautti. (News of the World)

OTHER GOSSIP
    Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson is set to become the new manager of Manchester City - if ex-Thailand prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's £120m takeover of the club goes through. (Sunday Mirror)

Former world player of the year Zinedine Zidane says David Beckham is "one of the game's greatest players" and believes Real Madrid should have done everything in their power to keep the midfielder, who is set to join LA Galaxy. (Sunday Mirror)

England boss Steve McClaren will personally check on the form of Beckham at LA Galaxy before naming the squad for the friendly with Germany on 22 August. (Mail on Sunday)

American-based entrepreneur Daniel Williams is the man behind a £67m takeover bid for Blackburn. (The People)

Former Newcastle manager Graeme Souness has launched a bid to take over Coventry. (News of the World)

Hong Kong-based billionaire Carson Yeung is the mystery man behind a £60m takeover bid for Birmingham. (News of the World)

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says that, with 14 names linked to replacing him in the 2006-2007 campaign, he might have left the club if he had not been "in a mature state of mind within myself".

Inter Milan's former Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira believes the uncertainty at the Emirates Stadium following the departure of vice-chairman David Dein is harming the club. (Sunday Mirror)

Wigan boss Chris Hutchings wants his one-time assistant at Bradford, Martin Hunter, to leave Norwich and become his new number two. (The People)

Scott Parker, West Ham's new arrival from Newcastle, does not have a get-out clause in his contract because he believes his new club will keep their Premier League place, despite Monday's arbitration tribunal. Relegated Sheffield United are challenging the decision not to dock points from the Hammers for breaking ownership rules over the signing of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano, who is now at Liverpool. (Various)

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez's future at the club could be decided in a showdown with new owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks this week. (News of the World)

Former England and Arsenal defender Tony Adams has hit out at the coaching set-up in his home country but wants to manage the national side one day. (Sunday Mirror)

AND FINALLY
    A new Premier League theme tune will be played when teams toss the coin before each fixture next season, with DJ Judge Jules's old top-flight tune being replaced by a ditty composed by Peter Lawler. It was recorded at the Abbey Road studios by session musicians and will also be used on the preview and review shows that are screened the world over. (The People)

Fulham defender Moritz Volz's holiday in Miami has been hit by toilet problems. He said: "The hotel toilet would not stop flushing and flooded the bathroom. Luckily, no solid waste was involved but after a long flight the last thing I wanted was to change rooms in my pyjamas. Then it got worse when the toilet in the new room made siren noises that were louder than the local fire engines." (The People)

Former Bayern Munich striker Claudio Pizarro has revealed that one of the reasons he joined Chelsea this summer was his passion for horse racing. The Peruvian owns 35 horses, which race in his homeland, Argentina and England.

This thread is going down and down without any posting for the past two days. What happened? Anyway, it's still so quiet in the striker departement. I wonder who SAF is targeting. Let's hope he wrap up the last purchase as soon as possible and get down to serious business of preparing the team for the defence of the title when the next season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    This thread is going down and down without any posting for the past two days. What happened? Anyway, it's still so quiet in the striker departement. I wonder who SAF is targeting. Let's hope he wrap up the last purchase as soon as possible and get down to serious business of preparing the team for the defence of the title when the next season starts.

just when it was going downwards...

here's from soccernet

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...439806&cc=3888

SAF is having holiday now

Anderson tipped for the top

Former Brazil manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has tipped new signing Anderson to make a big splash at Old Trafford.

The 19-year-old playmaker arrives at United from Porto with the billing of one of football's leading young talents, having already been dubbed 'the new Ronaldinho' in some circles.

And Scolari, whose role as Portugal manager has exposed him to the Portuguese Superliga, feels Anderson can fulfill his massive potential at United.

"Anderson has joined a good English club," said Scolari. "He is one that, probably inside the next two years, will be one of the biggest names in Europe.

"He'll achieve that if he continues the progression that he had with Porto."

Anderson was the first arrival in a triple transfer swoop by United in May, alongside Sporting Lisbon winger Nani and Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves.
    Does this meant that there is chance for him to get his work permit?

Antwerp spell delights Campbell
    Fraizer Campbell is satisfied with a superb season's work for Royal Antwerp, despite the disappointment of missing out on promotion to Belgium's top flight.

The 19-year-old striker was one goal off topping the scoring charts in the Belgian second division, and earned the nickname ‘Super Campbell’ from Antwerp’s fans.

However, defeat in the end of season playoffs consigned Antwerp to another campaign in Belgian football’s second tier, despite being in the division’s top two for most of the season.

“It’s very disappointing for the whole team,” Fraizer told RAFC TV. “We had a great season, played some good football and we were just unlucky at the end really. But all in all it’s been great and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better season for myself, it’s been a great experience and the lows like this make you a better player. That’s why I came out to Antwerp, to learn more about the game, get experience and that’s what I’ve done.

“It’s been a massive learning curve for me, Darron (Gibson), Ryan (Shawcross) and the other two (Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson) who were here before. It’s helped me grow up, mature and I’ve learned a lot about football, about life, about people, different cultures and it’s been great.”

Campbell became an instant hero with Antwerp’s passionate support through his goalscoring exploits, and he admits playing under their expectancy provided the biggest lesson of his time in Belgium.

“Learning to deal with the pressure of the fans was the biggest thing,” he said. “The fans expect a lot from you if you play well and they expect a lot from you in every game. To deal with the expectancy I’ve got to try and perform every week.

“If you want to play for United’s first team, their fans are just as expectant as any other club’s fans. It does put a lot of pressure on you, but it’s good for your development.”

Campbell will return to Carrington early next month to discover how Sir Alex Ferguson plans to continue his development, and the Huddersfield-born striker is happy to accept the United Manager’s decision.

“We’ve just got to go back and do pre-season in Manchester and that’s when we’ll have our talks,” he said. “Everyone sits down and talks to the Boss and he decides where the best place is for each player for the next season.

“Ideally I’d love to play in the first team every week but you never know. The Boss has got plans for us all and whatever he thinks is best for us is probably the best thing for us, so I’ll listen to him in the summer and take a decision then.”
    Our new striker?

Macari: Reds have depth

Reds legend Lou Macari has urged United to approach the transfer market with caution, given the current dearth of available top class strikers.

Despite the triple arrival of Anderson, Nani and Owen Hargreaves, Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted he could re-enter the market for a striker, but former United forward Macari is warning of the perils of panic buying.

"Everyone is talking about United's urgent need for a new striker, but finding someone is easier said than done," Macari told M.E.N. Sport.

"The speculation was that the Reds had been looking all campaign for more firepower, but it shows the lack of strikers about that they got Henrik Larsson on loan.

"But opportunities like that out of the blue don't happen often and certainly permanent deals like the Larsson one don't come up every day either."

While the Reds have been linked with a host of young or foreign attackers, Macari feels a more ready-made solution would be far preferable to a burgeoning talent.

"United need a player who can go in on the opening day of the Premiership season and be ready to do the job," he said. "They can't afford to be taking a gamble.

"Most new strikers would be an experiment and when you need to be out of the blocks quickly in the Premiership then there is no time to be testing and putting players on trial.

"That's why in one way I hope United don't jump into this mad scramble and join the race for over-inflated priced strikers who could be a gamble.

With Wayne Rooney, Alan Smith and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on United's books, and Louis Saha and Giuseppe Rossi returning from injury and loan respectively, Macari doesn't see a new arrival as crucial.

"I don't think the need to bring in another goalscoring body is as imperative as people are making out," he said. "Scoring goals wasn't a problem for United last season. In fact it was the key to winning the title.

"The combinations are good. What United already have are capable of mounting the same challenge again. United's striker search is an interesting one but I wouldn't be too concerned if nothing comes of it by August."

Nani 'can emulate Ronaldo'

New signing Nani is being tipped to follow in the footsteps of Portugal and United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ricardo Vaz Te, a colleague of Nani in Portugal's unsuccessful European U21 Championships campaign, says his compatriot has the wherewithal to emulate Ronaldo's sensational rise to prominence.

Fellow Portuguese youth international Manuel Fernandes last week sought to curtail comparisons between Nani and Ronaldo, but Vaz Te cannot resist drawing parallels.

"He (Nani) is an amazing player, he's an amazing kid as well, he works very hard and has got a big heart," the Bolton striker told Sky Sports News.

"He got a gift from god which is his talent obviously. I think he can follow in the footprints of Cristiano Ronaldo and I think he's doing it right now.

"If (Carlos) Queiroz deals with him like he did Cristiano he will be a very, very important player for Manchester United."

Just as Fernandes attempted to play down the inevitable expectations which accompany highly-rated youngsters, Vaz Te is adamant that Nani will need time to adapt to life in the Barclays Premier League.

"Nani is just beginning right now, Cristiano Ronaldo two years ago was just the kid with skills but looking to be big, now he's big," he said. "Now he is one of the best in the world, maybe the best in the world.

"Nani is just working that way, obviously he's not the best in the world but he's got all the talent to be the best."
    Think he will need sometime to settle down .... if he were to do it that should be the time Ronaldo join Seria A or La liga!

Papers: Bardo to leave?

Moyes In For Bardsley
    Everton are in talks to sign Manchester United defender Phil Bardsley. Boss David Moyes has been given permission to speak to the right-back after agreeing a fee for the £2million-rated star. Bardsley, 21, played on loan for Rangers and Aston Villa last season but neither wanted to sign him on a permanent deal. Everton are now leading the chase for the player although the former United trainee may be reluctant to leave Old Trafford.
    Staff writer, The Sun

Meanwhile, The Sun claims that Newcastle legend Alan Shearer upped the asking price of his house from £750,000 to £6million when he found out that former United captain and current Sunderland boss Roy Keane was interested in buying it.

Round up by Steve Bartram

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    just when it was going downwards...

here's from soccernet

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...439806&cc=3888

This FabQ guy seems quite good but I really dunno if he suits Man Utd and the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Anderson tipped for the top

Does this meant that there is chance for him to get his work permit?
    If he features for Brazil in the coming Copa America which I'm sure he will if he remains fit, he will get his work permit. It is just that Man Utd have to wait.......but waiting is hmm......

Rio covets a clean sweep

Having regained the Barclays Premier League title last term, Rio Ferdinand is adamant that United are intent on claiming all available silverware next season.

The England defender is eyeing a clean sweep as the Reds aim to build on last season's near misses in the Champions League and FA Cup and reclaim the Carling Cup.

"Next season we won't be talking about what happened last season," Ferdinand told Sky Sports News. "It's about what we want to win in the future.

"We want to win the league, the FA Cup, the Carling Cup and the Champions League. We know it's going to be difficult, but you've got to set your standards."

Integral to United's hopes of success are three close-season signings - Anderson, Nani and Owen Hargreaves - and Ferdinand is already excited about lining up with the trio.

Already well aware of Hargreaves' virtues from international duty with England, Rio concedes the younger new arrivals are a little more of an unknown quantity - although United did sample Brazilian playmaker Anderson's trickery last summer.

"We all know about Owen," said Ferdinand. "He's a fantastic footballer and is someone who will add another dimension to our midfield that's already great to play behind.

"We played against Porto in pre-season and Anderson played for them. He was someone a few of the lads were talking about anyway.

"I've not seen the other fella (Nani) play. A lot of people say he is very similar to Cristiano Ronaldo. If he is similar to him and he comes half as good as him, we've got a fantastic player on our hands, so it's exciting."
    Wow... he so confident

Papers: Real deal sealed?

Gab's £5m Real Deal
    Gabriel Heinze has agreed a top-secret £5million move to Real Madrid. Heinze - a £7million signing from Paris St Germain three years ago - has already signed a pre-contract agreement with the newly-crowned La Liga champions. He will play for Argentina in the Copa America, which finishes on July 15, and then formally swap the red of United for the white of Real. Heinze, 29, is free to negotiate a move because he hasn't been offered a new deal and is over 26 with less than two years left on his current contract. Last season, Heinze's place at left-back was increasingly threatened by the emergence of Patrice Evra.
    Bill Thornton, Daily Star

The Daily Express claims United, Liverpool and Chelsea will be disappointed in the transfer market, with Spanish international striker Fernando Torres set to stay at Atletico Madrid.

Various other tabloids claim Torres will end up at Anfield, while the Daily Mail links Rafa Benitez with a move for former United striker Diego Forlan - whose most memorable moment as a Red remains his matchwinning double at Anfield in 2002.

Round up by Steve Bartram

Atletico: Torres going nowhere

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo says his club's skipper and goalscoring talisman, Fernando Torres, is going nowhere.

United have been constantly linked with a move for the Spanish international striker in recent seasons, while Liverpool are also credited with a strong interest.

Cerezo, however, is tired of the annual bout of speculation surrounding his club's prized asset and has moved to clarify the situation.

"Torres is an Atletico Madrid player and I think he will stay here for many years to come," said Cerezo.

"This happens every year. Everyone talks about rumours and throws figures about but Atletico are clear. Anyway, even if we put him up for sale, would he really want to leave?"

United have been linked with a host of strikers since Chief Executive David Gill admitted that the club could be tempted to re-enter the transfer market if the right target became available.

The majority of the Reds' summer business seems done and dusted, with deals already in place to sign Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson.

Fergusons ready to do battle

United's pre-season friendly against Peterborough will hold special significance in the Ferguson household, as Sir Alex locks managerial horns with son Darren for the first time.

The Posh have a star-studded pre-season lined up, as they also host Celtic and Liverpool before the start of the new campaign, but it's United's visit on 4 August which holds the greater allure for Ferguson.

"It’s going to be a great game for the club and the fans," Darren told ManUtd.com. "We’ve got a good pre-season, with Celtic and Liverpool as well. United’s probably the biggest one, and we’re all looking forward to it.

"I think we’ve already sold 7,000 tickets so the fans are looking forward to it too. United are playing Doncaster the night before, but my dad said he’s going to bring as many as he can, and even if they’re not playing he’ll bring some of the big hitters along to show their faces.

"He’s got a huge squad and they’re all top quality players. Whoever they do play, we know it’s going to be a good game and we’ll have our work cut out for us, because obviously United keep the ball better than teams in our league."

Although the match is inconsequential in terms of points and prizes, Darren concedes that he and his father will both be keen to secure victory.

"Obviously it’s a friendly, but it’s a week before both teams start their season," he said. "So there’s going to be a serious element to it. United have the Community Shield the day after, but I’ve spoken to him and he’s going to be playing as strong a team as possible.

"It’ll be a good exercise and a lot of it at that stage of the season is about fitness. I don’t think it’ll be too serious, but there’s no doubt we’ll both want to win though, that’ll never change!"
    Father n Son lock horns
    Who will win?

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Fergusons ready to do battle

Father n Son lock horns
    Who will win?
    His son's club sold 7000 tickets and his club sells 76000 tickets leh! Unless SAF give chance to his son.

Today's transfer rumours:
    Liverpool are poised to make a £25m swoop for Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres. (Various)

Rafa Benitez also wants to pip Newcastle, Sunderland and Aston Villa to Villarreal's £15.5m striker Diego Forlan. (Daily Mail)

Man Utd left-back Gabriel Heinze has agreed a top-secret £5m move to Real Madrid. (Daily Star)

Kaka's representative has not ruled out the Brazilian moving to Real Madrid. (The Times)

Chelsea are eyeing a £4m move for Feyenoord's Royston Drenthe, who can play at left-back or as a winger and who has been in great form for the Netherlands during the European Under-21 Championship. (Daily Mirror)

Chelsea have failed in an audacious swap deal after offering midfielder Lassana Diarra in return for Lyon winger Florent Malouda. (Independent)

Fulham are close to agreeing a £5.5m deal for West Brom striker Diomansy Kamara - with Heidar Helguson going the other way. (Daily Mail)

Wigan are willing to pay £5m for West Brom's Welsh midfielder Jason Koumas. (The Times)

Bolton admit they may lose keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen this summer, with Sunderland and Aston Villa interested. (The Sun)

But they have a contingency plan, with Sheffield United's £2m-rated Paddy Kenny on their shopping list. (The Sun)

Tottenham striker Mido is set to join Fulham after dropping down the pecking order at White Hart Lane. (Various)

Spurs will listen to offers for Jermain Defoe when they sign Darren Bent from Charlton. (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins has asked Sam Allardyce not to cash in and sell him. (Daily Mirror)

Wigan have given midfielder Josip Skoko, who has been linked to Hajduk Split and Genclerbirligi, until the end of the month to give them an answer over his future after being offered a new one-year deal. (The Sun)

Newcastle are set to step up their interest in Charlton's England defender Luke Young. (Daily Mirror)

Scotland striker Garry O'Connor is set for a £2.5m move from Lokomotiv Moscow to Birmingham City. (The Sun)

Lokomotiv Moscow have rejected a £2m offer from Birmingham for Garry O'Connor. (Daily Mail)

Hearts are poised to sign Sunderland striker Tommy Miller. (The Sun)

Blackburn will have to pay £1.4m to Roma for striker Shabani Nonda, who was on loan at Ewood Park last season. (Daily Mirror)

Wigan will sign Preston keeper Carlo Nash to provide competition for Chris Kirkland. (Daily Mail)

Bolton's Ricardo Vaz Te says he wants to leave the Reebok Stadium. (Daily Mirror)

QPR admit they will have to sell £2m-rated Lee Cook in the next four weeks. (Daily Express)

Tottenham appear to be closing in on France Under-21 defender Younes Kaboul, who plays for Auxerre. (The Sun)

Sheffield United are poised to open talks with unwanted Aston Villa midfielder Lee Hendrie. (Daily Star)

Celtic have been given permission to hold signing talks with AC Milan winger Massimo Donati within the next 48 hours. (Daily Mail)

But Donati has already arrived in Glasgow for signing talks with Celtic. (Daily Express)

Celtic will move for Breda striker Maceo Rigters after his spectacular goal in Netherlands' Under-21 victory over England. (The Sun)

Hamburg have offered Germany Under-21 striker Mustafa Kucuvic to Motherwell on loan. (Various)

Kilmarnock defender Gordon Greer has opened talks with Oldham but does not rule out remaining at Rugby Park. (The Sun)

Hull have placed a £3m price tag on keeper Boaz Myhill, to keep him out of the clutches of Aston Villa. (Daily Star)

Hull could sell striker Darryl Duffy to Swansea, Bristol City, Hartlepool and Hibernian. (Daily Record)

Luton are chasing striker Paul Peschisolido after his release by Derby County. (The Sun)

Leicester have made an £800,000 bid for Milton Keynes Dons striker Izale McLeod. (Daily Mirror)