Nani passes Reds medical
United have confirmed that Nani passed his medical in Manchester on Wednesday.
The Portuguese international is set to join the Reds after United agreed a deal with his current club Sporting Lisbon late last month.
Following the completion of his medical at Carrington, the 20-year-old winger was given a tour of Old Trafford.
Nani recently expressed his delight at the prospect of joining United, saying that he is prepared to work hard to earn a place in Sir Alex Ferguson's team.
"This is a dream move," he told reporters recently. "It won't be easy to get a place in the first team, but I am ready for the challenge."
Hey guys, for 06/07 season which is your best game of the season?
To me it is silencing of the KOP at Anfiled!
Last edited by afbug; 7th June 2007 at 06:22 PM.
Kuszczak to join as planned
Tomasz Kuszczak will make his loan move to Old Trafford from West Bromwich Albion permanent in July, and is set to continue his role as Edwin van der Sar’s understudy next season.
Some reports suggested that United had decided to push through a permanent transfer for the 25-year-old as a result of team-mate Ben Foster’s impending cruciate knee ligament surgery.
However, as United chief executive David Gill confirmed on 11 August 2006 when the Reds officially unveiled the Polish international, it was always intended that Kuszczak would complete his transfer this summer.
"Tomasz will be a Manchester United player for the next four years", Gill said at a press conference ten months ago. "He has come to us on loan for the first year, and then will join us permanently in July 2007.”
Foster, who impressed during a two-year loan spell at Watford, was expected to return to Manchester to challenge Edwin van der Sar and Kuszczak for first-team football next season. But injury means a lengthy spell on the sidelines for the England international, paving the way for Kuszczak to continue as van der Sar’s understudy.
Three amigos will aid Nani
United's new winger Nani says the club's mini-Portuguese community will help him adapt to life in England and the Premiership next season.
The 20-year-old Sporting Lisbon winger is now on the brink of completing his move to Old Trafford having passed a medical at the club.
He will find two compatriots at Old Trafford in Cristiano Ronaldo and assistant manager Carlos Queiroz, and he'll be joined by another signing from Portugal when FC Porto's Brazilian ace Anderson is granted a work permit.
"At least I'll have them to speak Portuguese with!" Nani told uefa.com.
"They will be important, especially in the initial period of adapting to a different country.
"As for the trio [me, Ronaldo and Anderson] playing together, that's up to the coaches to decide. It would be great to play alongside them. They are two of the best players I know so it's a privilege to have them as club-mates."
The deal struck Nani by surprise with the speed in which it took place. "It all happened very fast," he said.
"The clubs reached an agreement quite rapidly and from then on I knew my career would continue at Manchester United. They are one of the major clubs in Europe and any player would like to play at Old Trafford.
“I have to keep working and giving my best to prove I am worthy of the confidence shown in me. I know I'm young and I have still to learn many things."
However, before the Cape Verde-born wide player can concentrate on starting his United career he has the UEFA Under-21 Championships in Holland to deal with. The first match, on Sunday 10 June, sees Portugal face Belgium, who he scored against recently in a full international match in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.
Nani has become a regular in the senior side this term, but it isn't a step down to play for the U21s he insists. "It's the second biggest national team competition in Europe and it's a privilege to be able to play in it," Nani said.
"Some of us have already played in the senior team but that doesn't mean we don't look at the U21 competition in the same way we did in the past. We fought hard to get here and we'll do our best to do well. All the experience we have gained in the senior team is positive because we can use that experience in this U21 team."
Rossi to decide his future
Wah.... so many want him SAF better keep him!!!Giuseppe Rossi will decide his United future after the UEFA Under-21 Championships as he continues to attract interest from across Europe.
FC Porto are the latest side to be linked with a move for the 20-year-old striker, who arrived at Old Trafford in 2004 from Parma, where he enjoyed a successful loan spell last season.
Nine goals in 19 games helped stave off relegation from Serie A, but it also alerted several clubs in Italy to his undoubted ability.
As yet the question of where he plays his football next season, publicly at least, remains unanswered. But, for now, Rossi is concentrating on helping the Azzurrini succeed in Holland.
"Giuseppe will go and play in the Netherlands and we will then assess things when he returns," his agent Federico Pastorello told Sky Sports.
Pastorello also denied contact with Porto, or any other club for that matter. "Obviously I have read such things in the newspapers, but we have not talked with Porto or any club," he said.
"We are not thinking about that at the moment, Giuseppe did very well with Parma and he is now going to play for Italy. Things will be discussed at United in July."
That meeting with Sir Alex Ferguson next month could shape Rossi's career, but he may well still be recalled to Old Trafford as the United boss is a known admirer of the American-born Italy U21 international, once describing him as one of the best finishers at the club.
Reds eye striker signing
So confirm liao got players will be leaving!Reds chief executive David Gill says United may add a striker to the squad before the start of the season, despite already spending big in the transfer market this summer.
United have been linked with a host of strikers, including Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov, Barcelona forward Samuel Eto'o, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar from Ajax and Atletico Madrid's Fernando Torres.
Gill did not name names or specify whether the Reds are looking for a big name, but he did say that if United do spend further the money will go on a striker.
"We have looked at it and we don't rule out another signing," Gill told Sky Sports News. "That area is a striker but we will see what happens. We're not desperate for it but if one came along that Alex felt would improve the squad we're prepared to do that."
Having spent a reported £50million on Owen Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani, Gill says there are also likely to be departures.
"There will be some changes but it would be wrong to comment as to that but I think they are discussions we will have internally," he added. "We have a got a large squad now, so there should be some people leaving, not many at all.
"There should be some leaving and don't forget we have some great players coming back who have been on loan. We want competition for places, we are looking to improve the squad and to take it on from last year
"We are not resting on our laurels, we want to do even better next year on the pitch. Alex is always looking to improve the quality of the team we have out there."
suddenly i got a feeling that the striker will not be anyone of those rumoured...
Fergie playing mind games with the media!
tats a good thing!
The best thing is after SAF gets the player then publicly announce
Daily Mail, dunno how much you can trust their words but if its true, it might get complicated. SAF already rejected them last season due to the dodgy deal.
United swoop for Tevez: Sir Alex wants Argentine star on year’s loan
The deal, initially thought to be on a loan basis for at least a season,would depend on removing the complications which surrounded Tevez’s arrival at Upton Park last August from Brazilian club Corinthians.
The issues had deterred United manager Sir Alex Ferguson from taking up an option to sign the striker and his international team-mate, midfielder Javier Mascherano, when they were offered to United last summer.
‘Tevez was offered to everybody,’ said Ferguson. ‘We were offered both him and Mascherano but, if I remember it correctly, we weren’t sure of the deal.’
Tevez is a good forward but no height.
News of the World go crazy with rumours over the weekend! Wanna sell more papers!
Manchester United are close to sealing a deal to land West Ham's Argentine star Carlos Tevez but face a battle with Inter Milan. (News of the World/The People)
Gunners manager Arsene Wenger will "categorically" remain at Arsenal next season. (News of the World)
Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez will not be given mega-bucks by the club's American owners to splash out on top stars. (News of the World)
Manchester United could face a £10m battle with Juventus for Dutch star Klaas Jan Huntelaar. (News of the World)
Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler has had talks with LA Galaxy. (News of the World)
Newcastle are hoping to pip Arsenal for Auxerre full-back Bakari Sagna. (News of the World)
Newcastle have made a £9m move to take Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy back to St James' Park. (News of the World)
Birmingham manager Steve Bruce wants to sign Liverpool keeper Scott Carson on a long-term loan for next season. (News of the World)
Birmingham are the target of a £70m takeover bid by a mystery Far East businessman. (News of the World)
Sunderland are hoping to sign former Newcastle defender Andy O'Brien. (News of the World)
Reading have joined the battle to sign West Brom's Wales midfielder Jason Koumas for about £6m. (News of the World)
Spurs striker Jermain Defoe has snubbed the chance to make a £12m return to West Ham. (News of the World)
Bolton are leading the chase for Reading's Irish winger Stephen Hunt. (News of the World)
Birmingham boss Steve Bruce is chasing Everton striker James Beattie. (News of the World)
Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is lining up a move for Hamburg's Dutch international midfielder Nigel de Jong. (News of the World)
West Ham are demanding £10m for unsettled skipper Nigel Reo-Coker. (News of the World)
Yakubu is on the brink of walking out on Middlesbrough. (News of the World)
Preston striker David Nugent will definitely leave the club to play in the Premiership next season. (News of the World)
The rest are here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...rs/6738155.stm
BTW, seen him before? Kerlon the 'Seal'!
Rising Brazilian star Kerlon is set to join Middlesbrough from Cruzeiros. (The People)