Thread: Seen better days...

Default Seen better days...

A little bit of background information: It is a common sight to have chairs/sofas/benches outside of homes here to welcome your guests. Or just to sit and chat with neighbours/friends/etc. On one of my shortcuts through a slightly more rundown neighbourhood, I spotted this obviously well-used and tired sofa, thus the title "Seen better days..."

Kodak TMax-400. Handheld 1/15s at f/2.8. Scanned, adjustments and toning made in the digital darkroom ( haven't ventured into playing in a traditional darkroom yet. maybe some time later...)

Shot with the aim of trying to convey a sense of age and tiredness. Does this work for you?

Last edited by Yatlapball; 12th May 2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Resized image (now 600x400)

Default Re: Seen better days...

i couldn't recognize what it was at first, but now I see. reminded me of my late grandfather's bed.

nice shot.

Heh. I apologise for the size. The bandwidth here sucks big time. Would have posted a much larger sized picture if I could. I also somehow feel the shrunk version doesn't do justice to this photo. Can't see the grain properly either. Heh.

nice, like the overall feel of it.

seems just a little tilted?

looks like a lovely postcard.

Heh. You're right. I corrected by eye in CS2 only. Guess it wasn't close enough. Drawing a line in CaptureNX showed it still needed 0.23 deg CW rotation.

Thanks tribalsnake

And thanks deckard for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Heh. I apologise for the size. The bandwidth here sucks big time. Would have posted a much larger sized picture if I could. I also somehow feel the shrunk version doesn't do justice to this photo. Can't see the grain properly either. Heh.
    Use www.imageshack.us

Oh. It's not my hosting server that's the problem. It's the local connection that is the problem Thanks for suggesting though.

If I did not read your background information - just by looking at a shot and its title - I would have had hard time guessing what am I looking at. In part because it is in B&W, in part because it is dark, and also because it is a frontal shot.
    Canon PowerShot A650 IS
    Nikon COOLSCAN V ED

Ok. Tks wunderkind. I tried other angles, but unfortunately both sides had other distracting objects which would take away the focus on the subject. Thus the decision to shoot head-on.

Oh, and I also resized the image to 600x400 for easier viewing