Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Need advice

  1. #1

    Question Need advice

    Hi pple, I'm shooting a plus size model wearing traditional malay clothes which may/ may not accentuate her figure. Any tips/ techniques to make the model look slimmer in terms of poses, colour of clothes, background, angles and choice of backdrop colour. It's a studio shoot.
    All advice given are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need advice

    More on bright colors.If the baju kurung have paterns make sure it runs downward not across the body cause this make people looks bigger.Hope this helps.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Need advice

    thanks bro, shall look into dat.
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    west side!
    Posts
    725

    Default Re: Need advice

    angle of shots very impt, to shoot "thin" u would be quite tempted to shoot her sideways.
    the color of her baju and backdrop also will play a part. too much of a diff, and the figure will be noticed immediately. try to go for matching colors. also, dun shoot the model frontal, go for action poses.

  5. #5

    Smile Re: Need advice

    the camera/lens does not lie. brutal, i am afraid.

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Need advice

    dark color clothes on dark background,
    face turn 3 quarter, half body shot
    use narrow lighting set up, shoot in low key
    means the ear nearer to camera is in shadow

    if it is outdoor, use some objects as foreground, block part of her body, and only use side lighting, no frontal lighting.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Need advice

    Quite some good advice here. Some other suggestions you might consider: standing poses will generally look slimmer then sitting poses. Also, can use large size props holding in the arm to hide the body (especially the waist). Long hairs covering the side of the face/ears is better then short or tied up hairs. Use the usual posing technique: chest out, tummy tug in, and hold the breath.

  8. #8

    Smile Re: Need advice

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    dark color clothes on dark background,
    face turn 3 quarter, half body shot
    use narrow lighting set up, shoot in low key
    means the ear nearer to camera is in shadow

    if it is outdoor, use some objects as foreground, block part of her body, and only use side lighting, no frontal lighting.


    dis is extremely useful, thanks bro
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

  9. #9

    Default Re: Need advice

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Quite some good advice here. Some other suggestions you might consider: standing poses will generally look slimmer then sitting poses. Also, can use large size props holding in the arm to hide the body (especially the waist). Long hairs covering the side of the face/ears is better then short or tied up hairs. Use the usual posing technique: chest out, tummy tug in, and hold the breath.


    i'm afraid of using props would steal the attention of the pic away from the subject. How to help dat? find prop same colour as the baju kurung??
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

  10. #10
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default Re: Need advice

    Prop that has same colour as baju kurung is one possibility, but I doubt it would work well. Maybe some props related to Malay cultures that would complement the dressing? A well thought out and properly selected prop will not steal attention from the subject, but would rather play a support role to make the picture more interesting.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Need advice

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    dark color clothes on dark background,
    face turn 3 quarter, half body shot
    use narrow lighting set up, shoot in low key
    means the ear nearer to camera is in shadow

    if it is outdoor, use some objects as foreground, block part of her body, and only use side lighting, no frontal lighting.
    I need that to remember too...

    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Arto.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Need advice

    Quote Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
    Prop that has same colour as baju kurung is one possibility, but I doubt it would work well. Maybe some props related to Malay cultures that would complement the dressing? A well thought out and properly selected prop will not steal attention from the subject, but would rather play a support role to make the picture more interesting.
    will work on that. Thanks.
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Need advice

    use wide angle lens and go up close...very close. o.k not toooo close..get bride's lower body to face half left or half right with the top body facing the camera.. Get props to hide the body..

  14. #14

    Default Re: Need advice

    Quote Originally Posted by nsalman View Post
    use wide angle lens and go up close...very close. o.k not toooo close..get bride's lower body to face half left or half right with the top body facing the camera.. Get props to hide the body..
    How wide do you think? A 12-24mm would make her bloated already. 17mm ?
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

  15. #15
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Shanghai Singapore
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Need advice

    use a 35mm camera... and tilt shift lens...


    hur hur hur


    i am of no help :P



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •