Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Entry Level DSLR

Default Re: Entry Level DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    the usual question: what is ur budget?

~1k --> just get a good prosumer like fuji S9600 or canon s3
    ~1-2k --> maybe a D50 (2nd hand) with a kit lens (and maybe a cheap tele) to play ard with.
    ~2++k --> D80 and some good lenses.

Take note that the camera body and lenses are not he only stuff u will need. Among others are the camera bag, dry cabinet, filters, cleaning kit, and blar blar blar... All need $$$.
    A used D50 + kit lens + cheap tele can be had for under a thousand, and a new D80 kit (18-135) can be had for under 2 thousand

Over 2 thousand, D200 + 18-200VR would be funky

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Dude... I was talking about the SLRs of course...

Dun forget the first camera you mentioned was the Sony.
    haha, I don't suppose there is anything wrong with the system of my choice. It's a personal choice. I hope the tread starter don't make an uninformed decision.

Yes, its SONY's electronic engineering strength and many years of heritage from Konica Minota.

DSLR is heavy but I carry it everytime I go out. But in the end I found I don't need to use it everytime I go out because of the type of photography I like to take ( landscape, scenic views and Macro photography). That's why I want a point and shoot as backup. I don't need 10 Magapixel, 3200 iso and 1/4000 shutter speed to just capture some candid snapshots with my friends.

I want to give unbiased information to the TS. The reason I said sony alpha wasn't because i'm using it. It's because the SPOT metering and Stabilizing functions which are missing from CANON entry level DSLR.

However all DSLR camera systems are good enough for photography. That's why I don't see the need for anyone to change system.

If the picture is not good I'd blame myself rather than changing system.

Spot metering?
    Nikons have it, even the cheapest D40. And stabilisers, you dun need it for short focal lenghts. Anyway, there are plenty of systems out there and I was informing the TS that if he did not make the right choice at first, he may require to re-invest in a different system which he may feel better for him at a later stage. And that would cost dearly. So do think carefully and enjoy your tool.

Anyway, if the TS does not need a DSLR, yeah, why not go ahead with a Prosumer and just shoot. But when the bug has bitten you, you'd want a tool which can deliver much much more.

Quote Originally Posted by osmond19 View Post
    thanks for all the comments and advices.

after calculating the costs etc, DSLR might still be a dream n i think i shall kick off slowly wif prosumer camera. I don't wish to spend 1~2k plus after few mths, leaving my expensive "toy" aside and only use it few times a yr when I go on tour.

zooming into prosumer camera, i think S6500fd or S9600 will be a gd choice however, i see more S6500fd users than S9600. Is there a reason? Beside the mega pixel, S6500fd is actually more advanced than S9600 but there is one thing to my dislike... I went down to any of the camera shops in town n wanting to take a closer look at S6500fd and S9600. To my discovery, S6500fd is made in china while S9600 is made in japan.

In the past, I wasn't bother wif where does the camera make from as long as it delivers tat it promised untill my old A70 which is made in malaysia always behaved weird when compared to other compact camera that is made in japan esp when I travel to cold countries, seems like e quality n reliabilities are there (maybe cos of QC?).

I think I still prefer S9600 but wondering when is fujifilm going to release a newer model to replace it so as to keep up with the technology in S6500fd?? If I will to get S9600, most likely I will use and keep it till few yrs down the road till it ends on me juz like A70. For camera, i dun wish to change it so frequent like HP.

Lastly, to my horror surprise, S5700 is made in indonesia....juz wondering how come fujifilm's camera makes their camera from different part of the world n low-end ones really from very "low-end" countries...
    I don think u will regret ur decision.

Since u are actually a little int in the dSLRs, i suggest u to get the S9600. Not too sure if they will come out with another model to replace this one, but this model actually replaced the S9500 (which i had) not long ago. Well things get replace (a better model coming up) anyway right, just the the D40 and D40x story.

For S9600, u can use its hotshoe for external flash. When i had my S9500, i use a cheapo suntax flash (~$30?). And it worked well . I played ard with many diff filters (IR, ND, C-PL, softener, etc), and usually at 58mm (the size of the filter thread) the price will be cheaper compared to the dSLR lenses which can be usually 62-77mm. End of the day, S9600 maybe able to satisfy some of ur wants in a dSLR. Tilitable LCD can be useful also.

But of course if u wanna compare quailty and stuff, S9600 will lose out to dSLRs. Pricewise, u can work out the sums, the winner is clear.

Somemore, u are saying that u will usually use it for tour. For S9600, likely u maybe only bringing a little other stuff (maybe some filters, flash, or batteries). But for dSLR, i leave it to ur imagination (depends on ppl of course). S9600 is pretty small compared to dSLRs, not forgetting that S9600 actually can use AA batteries, so not much worries of energy crisis (imagine charging dSLR batteries...) as u had more options.

S9600 will be my choice out of the 3 models u mentioned. This review is strictly personal, as i am a happy user of S9500. End of the day, the decision is urs. Have fun shooting!
    cameras are not made of tofu

Quote Originally Posted by Cikgu101 View Post
    I heard the made in China, Indonesia and Thailand is the casing only...electronics and mechanics are all japan made
    raw material for the shutter component maybe from india, the gold inside the PCB board maybe from china. How?

does this affect any photo that will be taken?

which camera maker makes everything themselves?

dun tell me they also produce the glue also? whats with all the MIC, MIJ stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by ihub88 View Post
    raw material for the shutter component maybe from india, the gold inside the PCB board maybe from china. How?

does this affect any photo that will be taken?

which camera maker makes everything themselves?

dun tell me they also produce the glue also? whats with all the MIC, MIJ stuff?
    i think most ppl like me will feel that things from japan normally will have a higher standard of QC n that implies a much better reliability. Actually i still think tat even if the parts r from japan but assembly in china. The overall QC or reliability still wont be as gd as assembly in japan. Of cos, if fujifilm recognises their own brand name, even if their manufacturing plants are in china or indonesia, they should hv set a high QC standard but it still boils down to even the PRC QC worker or the Indon QC worker whether to maintain the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    I don think u will regret ur decision.

Since u are actually a little int in the dSLRs, i suggest u to get the S9600. Not too sure if they will come out with another model to replace this one, but this model actually replaced the S9500 (which i had) not long ago. Well things get replace (a better model coming up) anyway right, just the the D40 and D40x story.

For S9600, u can use its hotshoe for external flash. When i had my S9500, i use a cheapo suntax flash (~$30?). And it worked well . I played ard with many diff filters (IR, ND, C-PL, softener, etc), and usually at 58mm (the size of the filter thread) the price will be cheaper compared to the dSLR lenses which can be usually 62-77mm. End of the day, S9600 maybe able to satisfy some of ur wants in a dSLR. Tilitable LCD can be useful also.

But of course if u wanna compare quailty and stuff, S9600 will lose out to dSLRs. Pricewise, u can work out the sums, the winner is clear.

Somemore, u are saying that u will usually use it for tour. For S9600, likely u maybe only bringing a little other stuff (maybe some filters, flash, or batteries). But for dSLR, i leave it to ur imagination (depends on ppl of course). S9600 is pretty small compared to dSLRs, not forgetting that S9600 actually can use AA batteries, so not much worries of energy crisis (imagine charging dSLR batteries...) as u had more options.

S9600 will be my choice out of the 3 models u mentioned. This review is strictly personal, as i am a happy user of S9500. End of the day, the decision is urs. Have fun shooting!
    thanks for the advise bro.

i think most ppl like me will feel that things from japan normally will have a higher standard of QC n that implies a much better reliability. Actually i still think tat even if the parts r from japan but assembly in china. The overall QC or reliability still wont be as gd as assembly in japan. Of cos, if fujifilm recognises their own brand name, even if their manufacturing plants are in china or indonesia, they should hv set a high QC standard but it still boils down to even the PRC QC worker or the Indon QC worker whether to maintain the standard.
    I think that most of what's Made in China is made in China. Period. I doubt that the electronics are made in Japan, maybe designed and prototyped in Japan. Anyway, during the 1970's we used to say about something that's broke "Oh, it's made in Japan.", regardless if it was made there or not. That sentence meant "what do you expect from that s**t? It is bad quality, of course it breaks down." Things have changed. Today everybody wants Made in Japan stuff and Made in China has the same meaning. Of course, many cameras were Japan made even back then and those had high quality. I think we have to give China and Indonesia a chance to improve, which I believe they will.

One of my flashes is a Made in Indonesia (Olympus FL-50). It is definitely not cheap and it is very high quality. My other flashes are all Made in Japan, the second most expensive one (Olympus T32 Made in Japan) has a broken battery compartment. It broke by itself after about two years of use due to manufacturing error.

My camera is Made in China (Olympus E-500) it is not too expensive and definitely not bad quality.

One of my lenses is Made in China, I had to change within warranty to a new one because the sample I got was not up to my expectations. The replacement is definitely much better. My other lenses are all Made in Japan, all very high quality, the most expensive one had to be serviced after a few weeks when I detected an error in the electronics firmware (Made in Japan).

Conclusion? None. Maybe that having something Made in Japan is not a 100% guaranteed quality assurance. Things can be broke even if they are Made in Japan. I do agree that it feels like a Made in China thing has not the same quality but I think if some things were not made in China some of us would not be able to buy a dSLR today. I give them a chance anyway and stop looking for where my gear is made. At least it is not part of my decision when selecting equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yinfinity View Post
    haha, I don't suppose there is anything wrong with the system of my choice. It's a personal choice. I hope the tread starter don't make an uninformed decision.

Yes, its SONY's electronic engineering strength and many years of heritage from Konica Minota.

DSLR is heavy but I carry it everytime I go out. But in the end I found I don't need to use it everytime I go out because of the type of photography I like to take ( landscape, scenic views and Macro photography). That's why I want a point and shoot as backup. I don't need 10 Magapixel, 3200 iso and 1/4000 shutter speed to just capture some candid snapshots with my friends.

I want to give unbiased information to the TS. The reason I said sony alpha wasn't because i'm using it. It's because the SPOT metering and Stabilizing functions which are missing from CANON entry level DSLR.

However all DSLR camera systems are good enough for photography. That's why I don't see the need for anyone to change system.

If the picture is not good I'd blame myself rather than changing system.
    No, nothing wrong with your choice. It is personal. However, even Olympus has SPOT metering. All dSLR models, possibly even prosumer compacts. So that part of your information is not unbiased. Stabilizer? I don't know. I don't have that and not really feel the need of it. BTW, many other dSLRs have them, new Oly E-510 will not even need to use special lenses to make it work.

No personal views are ever unbiased. They are always based on personal experience, adjustments to your gear, hear-sayings, roumors, personal needs, knowledge of your own gear, of photography in general and so on. To give unbiased information is really difficult, so far I have not read one on any forum.
    Last edited by OlyFlyer; 15th May 2007 at 04:49 PM.

Yes. Buy a Toyota assembled in Japan then one assembled in Thailand. You'll notice the difference

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Yes. Buy a Toyota assembled in Japan then one assembled in Thailand. You'll notice the difference
    that's quite true, juz like the vios that i'm driving now. some unknown rattling sounds will suffer as fast as few mths of driving as compared to a japan built toyota. but luckily the engine is still made in japan but not the interior and the assembling.

well gotta agree that by assembling in thailand, the price of e car is cheaper.

ok back to topic.

I just went down to "hand on" S6500fd, S9500 and S9600.

The difference of S9500 n S9600 is really very very mininal, from a look of it i cant even tell if it's S9500 or S9600. I believe the pic quality of S9500 n S9600 shld be very very close. Am I right?

N now the qn is if we compare S6500fd n S9600, which one has e better pic quality from the eye of an expert... If I dun rem wrongly, S6500fd will have slight advantage over S9600 that it has lesser noise at ISO 800 n above? However, I like the build of S9600. it's much firmer plus the dial jog.

Care to comment?

Deregistered

So what is more important to you - handling or image?

You may also want to consider how much effort/time you are willing to spend post-processing your pictures. Some picture can spend hours on their images. Others like myself (lazy bugger), won't want to spend time, if at all on post-proc. Just like for some, all the technicals mean the world to their decision. That is why you will always have the gearheads. Personally, I'd prefer to go for what does the job and gives me the most satisfaction my way.
    (If you find that biased, then too bad.)

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    So what is more important to you - handling or image?

You may also want to consider how much effort/time you are willing to spend post-processing your pictures. Some picture can spend hours on their images. Others like myself (lazy bugger), won't want to spend time, if at all on post-proc. Just like for some, all the technicals mean the world to their decision. That is why you will always have the gearheads. Personally, I'd prefer to go for what does the job and gives me the most satisfaction my way.
    (If you find that biased, then too bad.)
    unfortunately, i'm the same as u lazy bugger whom wont do much post processing one... i'm yet to use both cam b4 that's y i dunno which one can do the job the most satifactory to me.

Deregistered

unfortunately, i'm the same as u lazy bugger whom wont do much post processing one... i'm yet to use both cam b4 that's y i dunno which one can do the job the most satifactory to me.

1. What is important to you? Holiday shots + family shots? You really don't have to worry about either. Comfort and ease-of-holding/use will probably be what matters then.

2. Pixel count - if this is something you are concerned about, then get the one with the most. ... because there are some people who'd count pixels...

3. Are you going to print a lot into A4, S8R sizes? If yes, some prosumers grain very easily. But, if the occasional (est <10 pcs 4R a month) is all you are going to do, then no issue at all.

Hope this helps.

Since u comparing abt iso usability, i think technically the 6500 will be better.

from what i know, the S9600 has the hyperutility (some sw to convert RAW files, if u don want can give me, haha...) in the package and a faster low light focusing speed when compared to S9500.

in terms of the noise iso issue, why not u try shooting both cams at the iso1600 at a a dark area in the shop and zoom the pics at 100 percent to see if u like them?
    cameras are not made of tofu

1. What is important to you? Holiday shots + family shots? You really don't have to worry about either. Comfort and ease-of-holding/use will probably be what matters then.

2. Pixel count - if this is something you are concerned about, then get the one with the most. ... because there are some people who'd count pixels...

3. Are you going to print a lot into A4, S8R sizes? If yes, some prosumers grain very easily. But, if the occasional (est <10 pcs 4R a month) is all you are going to do, then no issue at all.

Hope this helps.
    1. i still find S9600 slightly more comfort n ease of use...
    2. it doesn't bother me at all
    3. actually i seldom develop the pictures tat i took. most of the time i only view it over the monitor...

Deregistered

1. i still find S9600 slightly more comfort n ease of use...
    2. it doesn't bother me at all
    3. actually i seldom develop the pictures tat i took. most of the time i only view it over the monitor...
    You just answered yourself, then. There ya go.

You just answered yourself, then. There ya go.
    wow so early wake up answering question har
    now is 0614 saigon time
    taking 0730 bus to mui ne

Quote Originally Posted by vaxvms View Post
    wow so early wake up answering question har
    now is 0614 saigon time
    taking 0730 bus to mui ne
    haha you guys really go online so early.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast