Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: desktop speakers

Default Re: desktop speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    I will like to add one more recommendation to my list..

http://www.divoom.com/solo-iii.asp

The piano finishing looks good, and the cabinet feel very solid, low resonance and stiff..

Did the knuckle test as well and the wood feel almost as solid as my focus audio spkr cabinets.. nice

The drivers on the satelite unit looks like fabric material instead of metal, I find the high frequency less steely and smoother sounding..

From the webpage seems like there are white finishing too.
    kongo, where to find these?and price?

funny thing is i always hear from audiophiles, that bose is a 'bluff'.my friends who play with audio tells me if one is an audiophile, they will never buy bose.

i have a couple of bose systems in my house and i absolutely love them.
    of course, i'm no audiophile, but i guess my family loves the space saving design.
    and for the sound they produce, well, to a non audiophile like me, it's definitely good enough.

the only thing i dislike about the bose system is the cheapo looking dvd tray.even my samsung computer dvd tray feels better than it.
    if only they can improve on the console unit itself.

guys, before i go out to grab those nice speakers you guys recommended, i got a question...

do i need a very good sound card in order to use these speakers?

i currently do not have a sound card in my pc.
    i m using the the 'build in' sound card from my motherboard.
    that's what the simlim guys told me.
    he said :"no need sound card lah, use the motherboard one good enough liao".

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    guys, before i go out to grab those nice speakers you guys recommended, i got a question...

If you like Bose, the motherboards built in is probably good enough

EDIT: That wasn't an insult or anything by the way, just how discerning a listener you are. I'm using an EMU1212m and am wondering if the extra money was worth it since I can't really differentiate the sound quality (besides a slightly more neutral sound) between the 1212m and 0404m
    Last edited by jmmtn4aj; 14th May 2007 at 09:01 AM.

Altec Lansing my choice....I'd go for the VS2321 2.1 speakers....

http://www.altecmm.com/index_intl_co...ountry_code=sg

as for Divoom speakers, can try the shops at SLS....or you may want to contact their sales office (also at SLS)

Divoom in Singapore
    Le-MON Technology pte ltd.
    1 Rochor Canal#06-15 Sim Lim Square Singapore 188504
    Tel: 65 6339 3737
    Fax: 65 6334 3737
    Email: sales@mp3tech.com.sg
    Last edited by scandisk; 14th May 2007 at 09:01 AM.

So which ones are you getting? Must post a review ar!

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    If you like Bose, the motherboards built in is probably good enough

EDIT: That wasn't an insult or anything by the way, just how discerning a listener you are. I'm using an EMU1212m and am wondering if the extra money was worth it since I can't really differentiate the sound quality (besides a slightly more neutral sound) between the 1212m and 0404m
    I tried hard not to resist bose bashing after you pasted that link.

Like jmmtn4aj mentioned - if you're not a discerning listener, i'd say onboard sound is good enough. Else there's the option of going digital - via coaxial or toslink. Where its a love/hate situation depending on the listener.

For something even higher up the food chain (temptation!) - Firewire audio - but you're not into music creation, so i can't really say it justifies its purpose.

For all the reasons, i'm not sure why, but i'd rather invest in altec lansings rather than divoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    So which ones are you getting? Must post a review ar!
    i post review?when i'm not an audiophile?u got to be kiddin me.

Quote Originally Posted by scandisk View Post
    Altec Lansing my choice....I'd go for the VS2321 2.1 speakers....

http://www.altecmm.com/index_intl_co...ountry_code=sg

as for Divoom speakers, can try the shops at SLS....or you may want to contact their sales office (also at SLS)

Divoom in Singapore
    Le-MON Technology pte ltd.
    1 Rochor Canal#06-15 Sim Lim Square Singapore 188504
    Tel: 65 6339 3737
    Fax: 65 6334 3737
    Email: sales@mp3tech.com.sg

seems like most computer stuffs, sls is the place to go?
    thanks for the link and info.

to be honest, the AL speakers hor...beri ugly wor...
    Last edited by jeanie; 14th May 2007 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Else there's the option of going digital - via coaxial or toslink. Where its a love/hate situation depending on the listener.
    Hehe, outboard DACs, a lovely money sucker. I've been toying with the idea of an X-Fi + outboard DAC so I can get the features of the X-Fi's audio processor (DAP) coupled with the sound quality of a good external DAC. A cheaper way would be X-Fi -> digital out -> E-MU 1212m -> amplifer -> speakers, but that would mean two drivers running simultaneously (the E-MU and X-Fi one). There's the issue of driver conflicts and slowing down my already slow computer

Location as mentioned above (SLS), price slightly below $200 at Challenger, abt $190~, but Challenger I think only have black ones. Not sure abt sim lim prices..

kongo, where to find these?and price?

Location as mentioned above (SLS), price slightly below $200 at Challenger, abt $190~, but Challenger I think only have black ones. Not sure abt sim lim prices..
    xiexie xingxing korkor

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Hehe, outboard DACs, a lovely money sucker. I've been toying with the idea of an X-Fi + outboard DAC so I can get the features of the X-Fi's audio processor (DAP) coupled with the sound quality of a good external DAC. A cheaper way would be X-Fi -> digital out -> E-MU 1212m -> amplifer -> speakers, but that would mean two drivers running simultaneously (the E-MU and X-Fi one). There's the issue of driver conflicts and slowing down my already slow computer
    Suggest you not try.

Creative soundcards are notorious on eating up system resources - IRQ/DMA interrupts etc. Bound to cause problems.

I always thought this 2 speakers are really solid.... hm....
    http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=14299
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

Yah, many audiophiles treat the four alphabets "b-o-s-e" as four letters dirty words..

Actually nothing wrong with bose, in summary it's just an overpriced satellite system that are suitable for casual listening but not for critical audiophile listening..

Imagine an overpriced point and shoot camera that takes slightly better pictures than most other p&s but cost more than some DSLR, you'll roughly get the ideas.

When audiophiles do critical listening they dissect the sonic perfomances of the system similarly to how jeanie nit-pick and dissect the quality of a photo. Casual listeners/viewers may say "nice, nice..", but audiophiles/jeanie may well be utterly disgusted..

When viewing photos:
    Audiophile A: Rich colour, pretty model, swee ah!!
    Jeanie: Colour balance all over the place, model fighting for attention with the messy background, cut hands cut legs messy hairs.. why you bother to post these hopeless pics?

When listening to sound system:
    Jeanie: speakers small small, sounds big big, looks cute cute, what more can u ask for?
    Audiophile A: Tonal balance all over the place, stereo image flat and detached, terribly fast roll-off at both frequency ends, severe hump or suck-out here and there.. how can you call these hi-fi?

If you don't listen critically, no need to bother lah, just stick to what u like.

funny thing is i always hear from audiophiles, that bose is a 'bluff'.my friends who play with audio tells me if one is an audiophile, they will never buy bose.

i have a couple of bose systems in my house and i absolutely love them.
    of course, i'm no audiophile, but i guess my family loves the space saving design.
    and for the sound they produce, well, to a non audiophile like me, it's definitely good enough.

the only thing i dislike about the bose system is the cheapo looking dvd tray.even my samsung computer dvd tray feels better than it.
    if only they can improve on the console unit itself.

Yah, many audiophiles treat the four alphabets "b-o-s-e" as four letters dirty words..

Actually nothing wrong with bose, in summary it's just an overpriced satellite system that are suitable for casual listening but not for critical audiophile listening..

Imagine an overpriced point and shoot camera that takes slightly better pictures than most other p&s but cost more than some DSLR, you'll roughly get the ideas.

When audiophiles do critical listening they dissect the sonic perfomances of the system similarly to how jeanie nit-pick and dissect the quality of a photo. Casual listeners/viewers may say "nice, nice..", but audiophiles/jeanie may well be utterly disgusted..

When viewing photos:
    Jeanie: Colour balance all over the place, model fighting for attention with the messy background, cut hands cut legs messy hairs.. why you bother to post these hopeless pics?

Jeanie: speakers small small, sounds big big, looks cute cute, what more can u ask for?
    Audiophile A: Tonal balance all over the place, stereo image flat and detached, terribly fast roll-off at both frequency ends, severe hump or suck-out here and there.. how can you call these hi-fi?

If you don't listen critically, no need to bother lah, just stick to what u like.
    Well put... it all depends on the user.

When viewing photos:

eh gorilla, i never say those words b4 hor.dun anyhow help me recruit trolls hor

Ha, think I should stirr the pot a bit.

Real serious gung ho audiophile will not be using the PC as the source of their music.

Music from PC is a convienence. Hence, user interphase is very important. Bose does have that interphase, so do others, and that needs to be factored in.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

eh gorilla, i never say those words b4 hor.dun anyhow help me recruit trolls hor
    你在心里暗骂也算! 肯定有的!

你在心里暗骂也算! 肯定有的!
    ni you zi dao wo xin li zai xiang se mo?
    :

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast