Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: desktop speakers

Default Re: desktop speakers

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Hmm the Milo Peng might boast the base a little

Most of the time Looks and size will affect the sound output

plastic speakers have a problem, when you blast.. you can hear the plastic rattles

wood based still best

how abt JBL Duet? its under $100 locally. if its still in production...

sorry din go through most prev posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Or... if you can find someway to hide the sub:

Comes highly recommended - http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Pro...ies/Aego_M.asp
    The aego 2.1 is a great buy.
    been using the previous version for a while. am happy with the sound quality and voice clarity when i listen to jazz/classical music.
    its compact enough for a small table setup

goodness.how u guys work at your workstation?it's so messy and cluttered!

mine's not that tidy but ever since i bought the imac, i've cleaned it up 80%

Quote Originally Posted by zha View Post
    The aego 2.1 is a great buy.
    been using the previous version for a while. am happy with the sound quality and voice clarity when i listen to jazz/classical music.
    its compact enough for a small table setup
    Fully agree. Tested this with jazz/new age. My gosh, you wonder how such little speakers can have such a large soundstage. Sounds better than bose that costs so much more. (not to slam bose fans out there - listened to both and compared already)

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    goodness.how u guys work at your workstation?it's so messy and cluttered!

mine's not that tidy but ever since i bought the imac, i've cleaned it up 80%
    Actually those cups and chips were brought in around the same time Everything is gone now, that bottle of shampoo was something I forgot to bring into the bathroom. Heh

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Fully agree. Tested this with jazz/new age. My gosh, you wonder how such little speakers can have such a large soundstage. Sounds better than bose that costs so much more. (not to slam bose fans out there - listened to both and compared already)
    http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

anyone interested in buying my white jbl creature? it's JBL !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    Hmm the Milo Peng might boast the base a little

Most of the time Looks and size will affect the sound output

plastic speakers have a problem, when you blast.. you can hear the plastic rattles

wood based still best
    Hahaha iced milo is my favourite drink by far

Yeah my speakers have wood enclosures. Unfortunately its getting old so some parts still rattle inside when the bass goes really low. The white things you see on the speakers are 3M double sided adhesives I used to make sure the contact between the grille and the enclosure is absolutely tight, because the grille kept rattling :@

Companion 3 series 2 and companion 5 doesn't come with transformer. Difference between the two is; Companion 5 has a bigger sub and 2 drivers in each speaker, which means more power and also better virtual surround sound. Companion 3 SII is actually damn good already.
    You should consider it. Amazing sound. The sub can be hidden from sight, etc... on the floor/ behind your desk? As long as its not covered completely because it needs to move masses of air/ bass in the room.

Blog Entries

i have a pair of these

creative i-trigue 3400. got them at $99...
    imho the satellites ain't very good, but the sub-woofer beat most of the $100~$200 2.1sys I tested at challenger...

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i have a pair of these

where did you get this?just what i need

It's such a waste that Nakamichi doesn't produce speaker systems for PCs now. I'm still running my Nakamichi egg speakers with subwoofers for years now. Output is awesome. Even Bose can't beat!

White in colour too, but has turned yellowish over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by funkguru View Post
    Companion 3 series 2 and companion 5 doesn't come with transformer. Difference between the two is; Companion 5 has a bigger sub and 2 drivers in each speaker, which means more power and also better virtual surround sound. Companion 3 SII is actually damn good already.
    You should consider it. Amazing sound. The sub can be hidden from sight, etc... on the floor/ behind your desk? As long as its not covered completely because it needs to move masses of air/ bass in the room.
    Ew.. Bose products are overprices crap, seriously. Do you objectively rate their sound, evaluating things like soundstaging, neutrality, detail separation, frequency fall off, bass tightness? Companies like Bose invest heavy into the study of psychoacoustics, tricking the mind into believing that something that doesn't sound good does. Creative's Crystallizer is an example of a product that does this, albeit through algorithms and programming rather than physical attributes of the speaker driver, enclosure, and circuits.

Of course one would ask, how can something that doesn't sound good, sound good? The answer is simple, while it sounds good at first (the wow moment), extending listening will make you realise that it isn't as good as it sounds. You might be watching a movie with high resolution audio and realise that you can't hear details, or listening to a piece of music and realise that while the bass is nice and loud, there really isn't any bass detail or tightness (muddy bass that goes boom boom boom instead of the recorded tight thud thud thud). Trust me, when you spend as much as Bose systems cost, you do NOT want to be regret it later. Bose heavily advertises so probably a quarter or half the cost of the product covers just advertising alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Even Bose can't beat!
    Haha, hardly grounds for comparison. My dad has some Monitor Audio RS8 and Wharfedale Evo 30s which he picked after a year or so of testing other similarly priced systems. If you were thinking of high end Bose for your needs, look in the direction of those speakers + a nice amplifier (NAD makes good low to mid priced ones). We have two Bose speakers as rear speakers (with the Evo 30) which he got on a whim, and now he wants to chuck them out. You know theres a problem when a pair of speakers can't even fulfill the role of rear monitors

Blow 500-600 on a set of Wharfedale Diamonds and an NAD amp instead of a Bose Companion 3, please.
    Last edited by jmmtn4aj; 13th May 2007 at 06:41 PM.

I will like to add one more recommendation to my list..

http://www.divoom.com/solo-iii.asp

The piano finishing looks good, and the cabinet feel very solid, low resonance and stiff..

Did the knuckle test as well and the wood feel almost as solid as my focus audio spkr cabinets.. nice

The drivers on the satelite unit looks like fabric material instead of metal, I find the high frequency less steely and smoother sounding..

From the webpage seems like there are white finishing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    I stop by Funan Challenger today during lunch time to play with some of the PC speakers there..

The harmon kardon looks plasticky and sound plasticky.. not surprising, plastic is hardly a good material for speaker cabinets..

The bass sounded hollow, meaning got quantity but no quality or solidity..

Did some knuckle test on the bass unit and tot some of the the Altec Lansing doesnt feel too bad.. tried to listen to a few, for similar price range of the harmon kardon, think I prefer this model:

http://www.altecmm.com/product_detai...ountry_code=sg

Sounded a bit dry but at least the sound is crisp and bass is clean + tidy, unlike some others which tends to overblown the bass and screw up all the balance.

If you really want something white, maybe can consider these:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10877

http://www.altecmm.com/product_detai...ountry_code=sg

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i have a pair of these

looks jus like my sORe-EyEz!

Me speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Ew.. Bose products are overprices crap, seriously. Do you objectively rate their sound, evaluating things like soundstaging, neutrality, detail separation, frequency fall off, bass tightness? Companies like Bose invest heavy into the study of psychoacoustics, tricking the mind into believing that something that doesn't sound good does.
    Haha, Bose hype is not unusual. To explain in simple terms, Bose has no real centre sweet spot. The satelite speakers allow anyhow roof mounting (at four corners) while the sub is tucked away in a cabinet somewhere. It does give the wow factor, and if a person runs a pub or a fashion boutique, Bose makes excellent sense. Who cares about audiophiles going to a ladies boutique? Or in a pub where everyone is either smoking or yaking?

But seriously, Bose is a league on its own. The system looks stunning and the tiny speakers are packed with a punch. The bass offer quite a fair bit of omph so much so that it envelops the mids and highs. For easy listening, I do find it tiring on my ears. Guess they had taken over quite a fair bit of market share from B&O.

While I do not indulge on expensive system, I still love listening to my set of Monitor audio with an old cyrus amps. The highs were too high intially and had been dampened to reach some balance. Bookshelf speakers those are, but enough to make me relax for the day. As to 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 systems, I guess those are beyond my ears as I only have a pair or ears. 2.0 is what I have I guess in modern context. LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    where did you get this?just what i need
    i think you cannot buy them brand new anymore
    only on the 2nd hand market

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast