Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    jbl?which one?i saw a few jbl just now.
    Creature

Default Re: desktop speakers

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Jeanie

How about this?

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=12

Beautiful to look at, but price for such a brand is kinda steep though. As for SQ, it should be alright, but dont compare with extreme audiophile quality.

Good luck to your search.
    b&o.
    sure looks good.but i really dont intend to spend that much for a piar of speakers.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Creature
    that's one i saw just now.

i also saw a flower shaped kind of speakers.

but the harmon kardon sure sounds good.
    but the woofer too big lah!

You cannot beat the physics lah..

You want small tiny speakers without a separate woofer and yet sounds good?

Probably only can hear the treble and upper midrange only wor..

Like that you play C&C where got shiok?

Get a real kick-ass subwoofer and place it under your desk lor.. hehee

If u want style, take a look at the new Mission cube series, I tot it looks cute.. and it's audiophile brand. Got ivory color selection somemore:

http://www.mission.co.uk/model.php?m...=2&sector_id=1

that's one i saw just now.

i also saw a flower shaped kind of speakers.

but the harmon kardon sure sounds good.
    but the woofer too big lah!
    Huh...seriously I don't think a flower shape can produce good sound....But then I think sound is also a very sujective thing...it's best that you hear it out b4 decide ba

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    You cannot beat the physics lah..

You want small tiny speakers without a separate woofer and yet sounds good?

Probably only can hear the treble and upper midrange only wor..

Like that you play C&C where got shiok?

Get a real kick-ass subwoofer and place it under your desk lor.. hehee

If u want style, take a look at the new Mission cube series, I tot it looks cute.. and it's audiophile brand. Got ivory color selection somemore:

http://www.mission.co.uk/model.php?m...=2&sector_id=1
    Already pointed her to the Aego M ...

Usually the subwoofer can be hidden somewhere else, but preferably nearby so that the cables will reach the computer...

Blog Entries

Jeanie

How about this?

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/page.asp?id=12

Beautiful to look at, but price for such a brand is kinda steep though. As for SQ, it should be alright, but dont compare with extreme audiophile quality.

Good luck to your search.
    i was going to recommend that next, you are the true evil

Blog Entries

HT = Home theater, not lingo just lazy

how about the
    AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes
    read the reviews if it suits you or not

b&o.
    sure looks good.but i really dont intend to spend that much for a piar of speakers.
    thanks!
    My bad. Since that's the case, look for something to your fancy. Sunflower or heart shape may not matter after all. Go Funan if you may as there are plenty of shops to pick from. May it be altec lensing, jbl, creative....

PC speakers have probably a few categories of buyers. One is the kick as woofer + surround sound type for game excitement. (Dun think you are a true blue gamer).

If you are just an audio person, a left right speakers' set should suffice. Leave the 5 speakers system and boom boom at your living hall or theatre corner.

Or another category could be the higher end speakers system. Monitor Audio, B&W, KEF, Mission... But too expensive to use for computer perhaps.

B&O is of a different breed. It's like saying "Prada" out loud!

And maybe one of the last category of buyers is just for them to hear the beep sound from computer. A pair of $5 speakers is more than enough for this then.

What you should be more concerned is the placement of your speakers and sub (if it comes with a sub). And, if the placement for left/right speakers are of different distances to you, or if there are blockages to the sound path, you can have pretty strange music (timing and alignment problem??). You may want to think of a better place to put them properly (slightly below ear level and far behind the monitor screen, but aiming dead centre towards you).

I certainly am no audiophile, but I just have very simple music requirement. I dont like boom boom boom music as I am not watching a scifi movie with my computer in the study room. I am easily satisfied with simple music requirement. It can be altec lensing for that matter since music is just to fill the background - while i concentrate to type this reply carefully. LOL

Perhaps, you may want to choose base on design and size of speakers so that it is not a nightmare trying to find a place to fit. (Imagine have 2 pcs of 2feet tall/broad speakers on your desk, right beside the LCD screen!) I had seen a friend using his sub as a foot-stool as his under table ran out of space. How convenient, but how wrong.

But do avoid brands you have never seen or heard. Many of those are from China and I really dont know what they put into it to make it sound so horrid. BTW, sumsung has pretty nice speakers (ipod ready as well) and the price tag is quite affordable (about $200?).

Just my novice inputs above and is subject to the scrutiny of true blue audiophiles here.

Have fun choosing.

You won't go wrong investing in a pair of Bose speakers cause i, too, had a pair of old Altec Lansing speakers 2:1. There still work well even after more than 5 years. Just upgraded to Bose last year, more ex., but the quality is just plain speechless.
    mOi bLoG - "i bLoG, dO yOu?"

i just do not want something that sticks out from my desk like sorethumbs.
    not extremely particular, but just something better than the imac build in speakers.
    i'm not sure the imac has build in EQ or not wor
    get a JBL Creature II... comes in black and white.. small smooth

i'll shop it out.
    thanks so much guys

I stop by Funan Challenger today during lunch time to play with some of the PC speakers there..

The harmon kardon looks plasticky and sound plasticky.. not surprising, plastic is hardly a good material for speaker cabinets..

The bass sounded hollow, meaning got quantity but no quality or solidity..

Did some knuckle test on the bass unit and tot some of the the Altec Lansing doesnt feel too bad.. tried to listen to a few, for similar price range of the harmon kardon, think I prefer this model:

http://www.altecmm.com/product_detai...ountry_code=sg

Sounded a bit dry but at least the sound is crisp and bass is clean + tidy, unlike some others which tends to overblown the bass and screw up all the balance.

If you really want something white, maybe can consider these:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10877

http://www.altecmm.com/product_detai...ountry_code=sg

thanks kongo so much.

alamak, so fast 'Jeanie' already thinking of "accessorising" her Mac experience liao ah

which one did you get anyway? the 24" iMac? *drool*

I have some ten year old Mission speakers and they probably still beat most multimedia PC speakers out there

I am doing that also.. .. look at the sub under my pc desk..

I had seen a friend using his sub as a foot-stool as his under table ran out of space. How convenient, but how wrong.
    Whether this will disturb the stereo image depends on the satellite, if your satellite or main speakers can handle bass down to 60hz or 70hz +- and you are able to set the crossover point around that region it shouldn't be too bad, bass below that are much less directional so it will be much more difficult to "hear" where the bass comes from.

But for most pc speakers and bose system, what you hv said should be quite true, the satellite are so small that they wont be able to handle much low frequency without sever roll-off and the crossover point have to be set quite high, maybe 200hz or so. This is way too directional and placing your sub at any funny place will certainly shredd the stereo images to pieces..

But then.. most of the time for convenient sake, just heck care lah.. want to talk about sound quality shd always go for a dedicated setup anyway, not computer spkers..

You are very welcome, I guess our setup looks like some nightmare movies to you.. especially my belove pair of Lowther Acousta horns..

thanks kongo so much.

Scary setups...

Can see jmmtn4aj is also a headphone fanatic too ...
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 12th May 2007 at 12:40 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast