Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion of Sigma EF-500 DG Super on Pentax

Default Re: Opinion of Sigma EF-500 DG Super on Pentax

Quote Originally Posted by southernoise View Post
    but from what i've read the Pentax 540 ain't that mechanically stable like some of our friends here who had tried it with the tupperware difusser. Not willing to pay so much for the Pentax name.
    Had no choice but to pay $250 more for the (frankly...POS) pentax AF540. Sigma EF500 built felt impressive (I might even say it feels tougher than the AF540) and its so cheap... too bad the two EF500s I tested seemed somewhat unstable...after a few shots or a while it just FREEZES dead then had to power off and on again.

Quote Originally Posted by VSonic06 View Post
    Had no choice but to pay $250 more for the (frankly...POS) pentax AF540. Sigma EF500 built felt impressive (I might even say it feels tougher than the AF540) and its so cheap... too bad the two EF500s I tested seemed somewhat unstable...after a few shots or a while it just FREEZES dead then had to power off and on again.
    Hmm where did you test it? Maybe it was a faulty copy?
    Birds Of Singapore Android App released!
    the mac 13 on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by the mac 13 View Post
    This is not an unusal problem. Read about it somewhere. Maybe it's only with K10D

Quote Originally Posted by the mac 13 View Post
    1 was from US, the other was from a local shop. I read the firmware in the EF500 can be updated by Sigma so maybe the latest EF500s are more reliable?

1 was from US, the other was from a local shop. I read the firmware in the EF500 can be updated by Sigma so maybe the latest EF500s are more reliable?
    I hope so...
    Planning on getting one...
    And about the wireless sync, what about syncing with wireless sync adapters? Also no?

Some samples

Direct Flash

Bounced 90 degrees
    the mac 13 on Flickr

looks a bit underexposed for the 90 deg bounce. did you use a bounce card or any exposure compensation?
    Last edited by southernoise; 12th May 2007 at 06:16 PM.

No exposure compasation, but flash compansation on flash(body and flash) and no bounced card. On monday I would be doing some real world testing, would post results if everything goes well.
    the mac 13 on Flickr

Exposure looks ok to me. It seems like underexposure but that's because the quality of the light is softer for the bounced shot (less specular highlights). Bounced shot looks more natural.

Bought my Sigma flash from the Expo in March and it didn't work in the wireless mode and I was sorely disappointed. But I recently had it fixed by the agent recently and it now works perfectly in wireless controller and slave modes. Needs about +0.5 to +1 compensation though. Don't know exactly what was done but he said it was "firmware upgrade". Bought it for $425 which is 30% cheaper than the Pentax.

Quote Originally Posted by kasturi View Post
    Bought my Sigma flash from the Expo in March and it didn't work in the wireless mode and I was sorely disappointed. But I recently had it fixed by the agent recently and it now works perfectly in wireless controller and slave modes. Needs about +0.5 to +1 compensation though. Don't know exactly what was done but he said it was "firmware upgrade". Bought it for $425 which is 30% cheaper than the Pentax.
    Fixed by agent? FOC? I still read about the inability to trigger this flash using wireless flash mode on K10D from oversea forums.
    Or are you referring to trigger via slave mode only?

Rectified at NO charge. It is still under warranty and the agent says that SIGMA is aware of the problem. Why don't you give them a call?
    SIGMA Marketing S'pore ..Tel: 62739622

Mixed reactions to using the EF500 with the K10D's builtin flash:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=23196144

Looks like some EF500s are more compatible than others

Some test with humans

Camera about 3 meters from first person on the floor, bounced with wide angle diffuser.

What do you think?
    the mac 13 on Flickr

This could be out of topic, but I think too minor to start a new thread.

I realize when I use a manual lens, and with the flash (built-in) on, I cannot set the shutter speed faster than than ~200 (it varies). My picture will be wash out by the flash.

Can someone help me ? I am using a K100D with a P-M 50mm 1.7 in M mode.
    Thank You.

Any faster than 1/180-200 and the flash probably won't sync with the camera. Maybe you can try reducing the power output from the flash? or ND filter on your lens if you must keep it at f/1.7?

Any faster than 1/180-200 and the flash probably won't sync with the camera. Maybe you can try reducing the power output from the flash? or ND filter on your lens if you must keep it at f/1.7?
    Thanks for the help... how can I reduce the power of the build in flash ? Is it some menu setting ? Sorry for the silly question

Quote Originally Posted by snapnut View Post
    This could be out of topic, but I think too minor to start a new thread.

I realize when I use a manual lens, and with the flash (built-in) on, I cannot set the shutter speed faster than than ~200 (it varies). My picture will be wash out by the flash.

Can someone help me ? I am using a K100D with a P-M 50mm 1.7 in M mode.
    Thank You.
    I guess that is where the external flash comes in useful. Some of my photos in the pentax thread were shot at 1/350 shutter, using the Sigma at highspeed sync.
    the mac 13 on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by snapnut View Post
    Thanks for the help... how can I reduce the power of the build in flash ? Is it some menu setting ? Sorry for the silly question
    not sure about the k100d but the k10d has an option to adjust flash power output from -2.0 to +1.0 (its a flash icon with +- next to it, in the Flash mode setting screen).

Another low tech way is to hold a simple 'diffuser' like a piece of paper or tissue paper few cm from the built-in flash.

not sure about the k100d but the k10d has an option to adjust flash power output from -2.0 to +1.0 (its a flash icon with +- next to it, in the Flash mode setting screen).

Another low tech way is to hold a simple 'diffuser' like a piece of paper or tissue paper few cm from the built-in flash.
    Found it on my K100D ... Thanks...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast