View Poll Results: Which is camera would you choose?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nikon D40x

83 64.34%
  • Olympus E410

46 35.66%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D40x or Olympus E410?

Default Re: Nikon D40x or Olympus E410?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTan89 View Post
    How about the Canon EOS 400D ? It has more features than the D40x like 9 point AF system, Dust reduction and the sensor which turns the screen off when you place the camera to your eye. Plus the 400D has instant access to settings like ISO, AF, White Balance, etc. whereas you'd have to go through all the menus on the D40x. And also, the 400D usually wins all the entry-level shootouts in terms of image quality and overall. My friend was also considering the D40x but in the end went for the 400D
    That "friend" of his was Me.

I would pick the Olympus E510 dual lens kit.

1) you'll be getting better than average kit lenses
    2) you'll have a 40-150mm telephoto to start off with

Why E510?
    1) Excellent anti dust
    2) IS that is built into the body (no need for expensive VR or Stablised lenses)
    3) the f2.8 lenses are light, small and affordable
    Last edited by nerfwings; 28th April 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nerfwings View Post
    I would pick the Olympus E510 dual lens kit.

1) you'll be getting better than average kit lenses
    2) you'll have a 40-150mm telephoto to start off with

Why E510?
    1) Excellent anti dust
    2) IS that is built into the body (no need for expensive VR or Stablised lenses)
    3) the f2.8 lenses are light, small and affordable
    Does Olympus have a lens ranging from 16~250mm (or similar) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    There is the 18-180mm(36-360mm) 10x zoom lens. It falls a little short on both ends but thats the closest oly have. IQ wise, its below my expectation. But its a suprisingly light,small and relatively cheap lens.

Is this lens for you? Consider which factor is more important to you. IQ,weight,size or price

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTan89 View Post
    How about the Canon EOS 400D ? It has more features than the D40x like 9 point AF system, Dust reduction and the sensor which turns the screen off when you place the camera to your eye. Plus the 400D has instant access to settings like ISO, AF, White Balance, etc. whereas you'd have to go through all the menus on the D40x. And also, the 400D usually wins all the entry-level shootouts in terms of image quality and overall. My friend was also considering the D40x but in the end went for the 400D
    are you sure that the 400d can win all 10 meg entry lvl cams hands down a not?
    you got to show some proof...i seriously dont believe the d60 can get prawn by 400d...
    but when it comes to AF points is for sure that 400d got the most AF points among the 10 meg entry cams.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 29th April 2008 at 03:42 PM.

Best entry level DSLR is the Nikkon D60. Good functions and cheap($1188), i own a D60 first ever DSLR. A good cam to use, jus my 2cents worth

Default Re: Nikon D40x or Olympus E-410?

No, but why would anyone want one? Any zoom over 4-5x is going to be a huge compromise unless the lens is abnormally huge. All of them have terrible optical quality, though apparently, some people don't care about image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongK View Post
    Best entry level DSLR is the Nikkon D60. Good functions and cheap($1188), i own a D60 first ever DSLR. A good cam to use, jus my 2cents worth
    The Nikon D60 is just an improved version of the D40x. I don't think it's as good as the E-420, but it feels better to me, simply because of the grip.

Default Re: Nikon D40x or Olympus E-410?

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    No, but why would anyone want one? Any zoom over 4-5x is going to be a huge compromise unless the lens is abnormally huge. All of them have terrible optical quality, though apparently, some people don't care about image quality.

The Nikon D60 is just an improved version of the D40x. I don't think it's as good as the E-420, but it feels better to me, simply because of the grip.
    Second both inputs

Go for Nikon D40x I own it last time and i won't regretted it .....

Quote Originally Posted by nerfwings View Post
    There is the 18-180mm(36-360mm) 10x zoom lens. It falls a little short on both ends but thats the closest oly have. IQ wise, its below my expectation. But its a suprisingly light,small and relatively cheap lens.

Is this lens for you? Consider which factor is more important to you. IQ,weight,size or price
    Thanks nerfwings, do you happens to know the listed price for the lens? I am actually comparing it with the Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5 ~ 6.3 lens.

I know prime lens's IQ is often better than zoom's but I am looking for an all-in-one lens system, the review for the Sony's offering is quite promising.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...wpost&t=373474

I know prime lens's IQ is often better than zoom's but I am looking for an all-in-one lens system, the review for the Sony's offering is quite promising.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...wpost&t=373474
    Well, that looks adequate, but probably better than other long zoom compromises, other than the Leica.

Everyone has their own expectations for image quality. I rarely use a prime but instead am happier with my 3x and 4x zooms.

Well, that looks adequate, but probably better than other long zoom compromises, other than the Leica.

Everyone has their own expectations for image quality. I rarely use a prime but instead am happier with my 3x and 4x zooms.
    Agreed Everyone has their own expectations for image quality, like you are mentioning there is also good zoom lens like Leica & Carl Zeiss lens, hence from my humble option we should not discount "telephoto" zoom lens' IQ based on their "zoom factor".

Just my 2 cents.

just don't get a 4/3 system if it's dSLR you're getting. the sensor is too small to give any serious depth of field.
    speaking from pictures you see from the system.

but if you are treating it like getting a travel camera, then it's a good choice becos of it's handy size and fast AF/ dust bla bla....

Agreed Everyone has their own expectations for image quality, like you are mentioning there is also good zoom lens like Leica & Carl Zeiss lens, hence from my humble option we should not discount "telephoto" zoom lens' IQ based on their "zoom factor".

Just my 2 cents.
    You're welcome to think that, but it shows up in testing and images.

What Digital Camera magazine did a big test of 6 such lenses in March 2008 and the Sony in April 2008.

The Nikon 18-200mm VR got 85 %, Pentax 18-250mm got 84 %, Sigma 18-200mm got 83 %, Sigma 18-200mm OS got 89 %, Tamron 18-250mm got 84 %, Tamron 18-200mm got 82 % and the Sony 18-200mm got 82 %.

Except for the one Sigma lens, none of them got reasonable ratings and the Sigma was faulted for too much chromatic aberration.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
    just don't get a 4/3 system if it's dSLR you're getting. the sensor is too small to give any serious depth of field.
    speaking from pictures you see from the system.

but if you are treating it like getting a travel camera, then it's a good choice becos of it's handy size and fast AF/ dust bla bla....
    Are you sure about the DoF of a 4/3 system? Have you use any one of the 4/3 dSLR?

Guys, the TS posted this last year. I'm sure s/he has already gotten a camera.

You're welcome to think that, but it shows up in testing and images.

What Digital Camera magazine did a big test of 6 such lenses in March 2008 and the Sony in April 2008.

The Nikon 18-200mm VR got 85 %, Pentax 18-250mm got 84 %, Sigma 18-200mm got 83 %, Sigma 18-200mm OS got 89 %, Tamron 18-250mm got 84 %, Tamron 18-200mm got 82 % and the Sony 18-200mm got 82 %.

Except for the one Sigma lens, none of them got reasonable ratings and the Sigma was faulted for too much chromatic aberration.
    Thanks for the ratings, did the magazine did a review on the mega zoom from other more renowned lens manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by chegr View Post
    Guys, the TS posted this last year. I'm sure s/he has already gotten a camera.
    Sorrie... may I know what does TS stands for?

Thanks for the ratings, did the magazine did a review on the mega zoom from other more renowned lens manufacturer?
    That was every one of them. I'm interested to see if they get Leica/Panasonic's 14-150mm to see if it fares better but I think it's only marginally better, even for the price.

Sorrie... may I know what does TS stands for?
    Topic Starter

That was every one of them. I'm interested to see if they get Leica/Panasonic's 14-150mm to see if it fares better but I think it's only marginally better, even for the price.
    Topic Starter
    Thanks...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast