Thread: a ray of light

Default a ray of light

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Any criticism is welcome, especially in terms of composition and technique.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I have composed the picture in this manner to highlight the statue against the dark rock face in the background. The metering was done on the statue to show the illumination by the sun which hopefully draws the focus of the viewer to the statue.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    It was a sunny day in Matsushima. On a two week break from work and thought the focus on the statue portrayed the peace away from work. ;o)

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I like this picture because of the way the sunlight catches the statue against the rock face. Unfortunately, I think the focus on the statue is abit off or the details are overexposed. Maybe I should also have DIed the bright parts of the rock face to really emphasize the point?

Thanks for viewing everyone.

west side!

Default Re: a ray of light

hmmm i dunno. something very wrong with this pic.
    the statue seems pp in, out of propotions, no shadows, the lighting seems odd, rock face also strange... i dunno, maybe it's just me. i would like to see a wider picture

ur title dun quite convey a ray of light in the picture too. composition-wise, i think the main focus should be the statue and the light on it. 2/3 of ur pic is on the rockface, which is quite pointless, seems it doesn't convey anything special. btw, ur rock face dun seem dark too, in fact, very illuminated.

eh, i think not much "breathing space" for the statue ya..
    it's as if she kenna squash to one side liddat...
    Canon 400D:18-55:75-300:50F1.8:tokina 28-70F2.8:
    msn -

Thanks guys, actually it seems much more evident how squashed it is since you mentioned it and I don't recall why I decided to frame it so tightly on one side.

Have not pp-ed it though and have left the rock face as it is. I think the metering on the statue could have been more accurate too, should have taken it on the brighter parts of the statue specifically so I would retain more details and shadows on the statue.

I just randomly chose a title anyway, without much thought.

IMHO, like that others said, the statue just seems so wrong (like being PP in..), maybe because of the lighting...

If it was me, I would have moved closer to get a clearer face focus, having it aligned to the right at the same time (like what you did..)

Did you get any other angles shots? Would like to see the rest of them =)

sorry, am a newbie... whats IMHO?

I think I recall there was a barricade that didnt allow me to go up close and I left the telephoto in the hotel cause I was lazy!

Unfortunately, this is the only pic I have of this statue.

I have more snaps from my holiday on flickr at