Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions/advice on martial arts shoot

Default Re: Opinions/advice on martial arts shoot

Quote Originally Posted by syl View Post
    Yes, you do have constant lights - use your modeling lights on your Bowens! They're a good substitute for hot lights!
    oic.but that's HOT

cant really find much studio pics in the net.
    here's one i found.
    but i reckon hair needs to be tied up.
    pic taken from yahoo search, linked from www.boutreviewusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    oic.but that's HOT
    That's why, my dear, they are known as Hot Lights. You need them if you want action shots!

Quote Originally Posted by syl View Post
    Yes, you do have constant lights - use your modeling lights on your Bowens! They're a good substitute for hot lights!
    Yes, they are a substitute for hot lights but not a good substitute. Generally the modelling light uses a 250w bulb, in my opinion it is not going to be enough for what you want to do, to stop the action which requires a fairly fast shutter speed, which also depends on what ISO and F-stop you want to shoot at. Do take into consideration these factors before you decide whatever kind of lights you want to use.

I would probably go for some floods like the Lowels, 500w to 1000w or you could go rent some Arri lights. Careful don't get burned cos those sucker get really, and I mean really hot. learned that the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper View Post
    Yes, they are a substitute for hot lights but not a good substitute. Generally the modelling light uses a 250w bulb, in my opinion it is not going to be enough for what you want to do, to stop the action which requires a fairly fast shutter speed, which also depends on what ISO and F-stop you want to shoot at. Do take into consideration these factors before you decide whatever kind of lights you want to use.

I would probably go for some floods like the Lowels, 500w to 1000w or you could go rent some Arri lights. Careful don't get burned cos those sucker get really, and I mean really hot. learned that the hard way.
    generally for such shots, what is your recommended aperture?

sorry for the late reply, been busy.

I would probably try to get an aperture around f8, maybe f11, even if it means pushing your ISO, do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12