Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Join me being a sucker?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Join me being a sucker?

    I just made a purchase for a new old vivitar s1 105mm (made by Kiron) for US$215 (with shipping). The guy has 1 more left, if anyone interested I'll pm you the url.

    I'm just a sucker for "new" vintage macro lens Hope it arrives soon

  2. #2

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?


    $300 for Series 1??? Oh man... Wish i have the moolah like you...
    Enjoy the lens when it arrive...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Will let you try it when it comes I decided to get it for 2 reasons.

    1. http://www.flickr.com/groups/46164499@N00/pool/
    2. This used one branded as ricoh, sold for US$254+ on Sun
    http://cgi.ebay.com/105MM-F2-8-MACRO...QQcmdZViewItem

  4. #4

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    More crazy than the stock market for old lens like this!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    More crazy than the stock market for old lens like this!
    I read back in 1990, this lens was sold at US$400. But now a lot of Pentax mount vintage prices all gone mad liao Waiting to see if the DA* lenses can adjust the prices of older star lenes

  6. #6
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    lonko, I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm using a manual focus Vivitar 100mm f3.5 macro. It looks cheap but the image quality is tops. Sadly I feel many photographers who have started out this hobby rely too much on auto focusing because they haven't dabbled in manual focusing enough. Because of this there is a tendency to shy away from older lenses that lack AF. I think they are missing out a wider option of lenses as Pentax bodies are backward compatible.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Best macros are MF ones But in a way I'm like kenna chop carrot head, $335 for an old MF lens when I can get the Sigma 105mm with AF and better CA control at $580

  8. #8
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Ah, but how many people can get their hands on a Vivitar Series 1? A Sigma for a little more but that crinkle finish...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    lonko, I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm using a manual focus Vivitar 100mm f3.5 macro. It looks cheap but the image quality is tops. Sadly I feel many photographers who have started out this hobby rely too much on auto focusing because they haven't dabbled in manual focusing enough. Because of this there is a tendency to shy away from older lenses that lack AF. I think they are missing out a wider option of lenses as Pentax bodies are backward compatible.
    Tell that to the gearheads who think that AFS and VR on the new Nikkor 105 Micro is the best thing since sliced bread.

    There is absolutely no need for AFS and VR on a macro lens.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    I just made a purchase for a new old vivitar s1 105mm (made by Kiron) for US$215 (with shipping). The guy has 1 more left, if anyone interested I'll pm you the url.

    I'm just a sucker for "new" vintage macro lens Hope it arrives soon
    Congrats on the new lens. Now how many macro lenses you've got already

    Next time you should be looking for a Pentax SMC A* 200/4 macro, A100/2.8 macro or at least the A50/2.8 macro

  11. #11
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    The superb 200/4 macro (if you can find someone crazy enough to part with it) is on my wish list but the way prices for 100mm Pentax mount macros are going on eekBay, I'm not hopeful it will come cheap...
    Last edited by creampuff; 8th May 2007 at 09:46 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Congrats on the new lens. Now how many macro lenses you've got already

    Next time you should be looking for a Pentax SMC A* 200/4 macro, A100/2.8 macro or at least the A50/2.8 macro
    Thanks. This is only the 2nd 1:1 macro Don't think I'll go for star lens, need a good deal at the vivitar 2x macro converter 1st (Last one traded for US$70+). At those price, I'll rather look at the Voigtlander Anyway, does the old pentax A* goes to 1:1? I recall they are 1:2, though could be wrong.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    Thanks. This is only the 2nd 1:1 macro Don't think I'll go for star lens, need a good deal at the vivitar 2x macro converter 1st (Last one traded for US$70+). At those price, I'll rather look at the Voigtlander Anyway, does the old pentax A* goes to 1:1? I recall they are 1:2, though could be wrong.
    Yes, the A*200/4 macro and A100/2.8 macro do 1:1 macro, but the A50/2.8 is a 1:2 macro. All are great macro lenses. I've had the A100/2.8 and A50/2.8 before, sold them off in favor of newer DFA100 macro lens. But might get an A50/2.8 back someday ...

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Yes, the A*200/4 macro and A100/2.8 macro do 1:1 macro, but the A50/2.8 is a 1:2 macro. All are great macro lenses. I've had the A100/2.8 and A50/2.8 before, sold them off in favor of newer DFA100 macro lens. But might get an A50/2.8 back someday ...
    Thanks. Something I like about Pentax lens over Sigma & Tamron is Pentax are normally brighter As for 50mm I'm happy with FA 50mm f1.2 with vivitar +10 macro adapter

    Here's a 100% top cropped of the raw. (no USM applied)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    I saw a refurbished FA 100mm f2.8 start bid at only US$195.99
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-FA-100mm-...QQcmdZViewItem

  16. #16
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    I saw a refurbished FA 100mm f2.8 start bid at only US$195.99
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-FA-100mm-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Bro, that's the f3.5 version, the same as my Vivitar macro. There was one sold at US$199 new less a while back. Besides, Henry's is a Canadian company = pricey shipping, plus they don't accept Paypal.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Quote Originally Posted by longko View Post
    I saw a refurbished FA 100mm f2.8 start bid at only US$195.99
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-FA-100mm-...QQcmdZViewItem

    Just like creampuff said above, this is the FA100/3.5 version, it was designed and possibly produced by Cosina (www.cosina.com), but with genuine Pentax electronics and Pentax SMC coating. It's a much cheaper version than the FA100/2.8, and it only has 1:2 mag ratio. It used be sold for around US$100 or less only, but the price certainly went up alot (thanks to the strong sale of the K100D and K10D )

  18. #18

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Bro, that's the f3.5 version, the same as my Vivitar macro. There was one sold at US$199 new less a while back. Besides, Henry's is a Canadian company = pricey shipping, plus they don't accept Paypal.
    Bought a couple of stuff from Henry before, paid by credit card (they'll send you a link to make payment securely after the auction ends). Very smooth transactions, great services too. I kinda like it. The shipping fee is indeed abit high, but not unreasonable I think.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Balestier
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Sorry see wrongly My eyes see too much reads and greens liao till blur blur.

  20. #20
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: Join me being a sucker?

    Bro, maybe you see too much money closeup...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •