Thread: Bounce card

Default Bounce card

Hi,

I know there is a lot of discussion about bounce card, I have searched but I'm looking particularly on step by step to make the bounce card.

I remember someone mentioned can purchase the card from Popular bookshop but I'm not sure which one. Anyone can give some direction?

Regards,
    sonix

Default Re: Bounce card

Originally posted by sonix
    Hi,

I know there is a lot of discussion about bounce card, I have searched but I'm looking particularly on step by step to make the bounce card.

I remember someone mentioned can purchase the card from Popular bookshop but I'm not sure which one. Anyone can give some direction?

Regards,
    sonix
    actually you dont need anything special mah..just get any white cardboard will do.....cut into a rectangle and either u use velco or rubber band to fixed onto the flash light loh.....

Default Re: Bounce card

Originally posted by sonix
    Hi,

Regards,
    sonix

hi,

maybe you'll like to take a look at my DIY card?

here

material cost $1.55
    Last edited by rncw; 21st March 2003 at 12:15 PM.

actually im rather curious, what is the effectiveness of a bounce card as compared to a stofen omnibounce.... woudl the latter be better in this case, or would the bounce card be comparable if made properly (from the right materials etc)

Hehe.. lemme post my Bounce card ver 5.0...
    I go take it now

Deregistered

Originally posted by willyfoo
    Hehe.. lemme post my Bounce card ver 5.0...
    I go take it now
    Wah!!! Ver5.0...
    U pass the ISO9002 man...

btw, I'm oso interested to know wats the diff when using a stofen omnibounce as compared to ur own bounce card.
    Thanks

Originally posted by markccm
    Wah!!! Ver5.0...
    U pass the ISO9002 man...

btw, I'm oso interested to know wats the diff when using a stofen omnibounce as compared to ur own bounce card.
    Thanks
    I use the ominbounce when the room is smaller, then the omnibounce can send the light bouncing off all the surfaces in the room. When the ceiling is high however, the omnibounce gets very weak.. that's where the bounce card comes in.

vince123123
    Guests

just to add on what willy said, the so called design feature of the omnibounce is that it allows 85% of the light to bounce off the ceiling and 15% of the light will go as direct flash to the subject, (not sure abt figures, they are arbitrary, but concept is there), very much like those flash units (from sunpak?) which have two flash heads in one flash unit, one smaller one below and one big one above for this purpose.

As for bouncecards yup, they are useful in rooms where the ceiling goes very high.

Originally posted by willyfoo
    I use the ominbounce when the room is smaller, then the omnibounce can send the light bouncing off all the surfaces in the room. When the ceiling is high however, the omnibounce gets very weak.. that's where the bounce card comes in.

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Re: Bounce card

just wondering, how doe sur bounec card work? it seems to be in a different orientation from the norm...the way i see it works is the flash hits the card straight on, the card directs the beam upwards to the ceiling? and the ceiling refelcts it back?

hmm...cna't quite tell how it works..maybe its a new patentable design!!

Originally posted by rncw
    hi,

maybe you'll like to take a look at my DIY card?

here

material cost $1.55

vince123123
    Guests

ah upon closer look i got the idea liao...its not the bounce card which is funny, its the shape of the flash which is unusual, leading me to think the long edge was the front rahter than the top :P

hehe paiseh i blind.

Left - Bounce Card v4.0
    Right - Bounce Card v5.0
    Bottom - Normal Bounce Card
    v4 uses scotch tape to keep the angle of the bounce, but it's a bit troublesome to setup
    v5 uses 2 notches that can control the angle of the bounce.

Note that the surface is yellow.. to give a warmer effect for people shots. v5.1 will be done later that uses the translucent double layer plastic (anybody knows what it is called?)

hi willy,

thanks for the pictures you posted

i have a couple of questions,

1. is the flash is meant to point to the ceiling when you shoot?

2. if i were to take a subject using vertical framing though, i will need a flash that can swivel to the top?

thanks for any advice u can offer.

cheerios

Deregistered

Veri innovative Willy.

I salute u man

Willy, can give me the cm or inch size so I can draw it then cut...?

Thanks

QUOTE]Originally posted by willyfoo

Left - Bounce Card v4.0
    Right - Bounce Card v5.0
    Bottom - Normal Bounce Card
    v4 uses scotch tape to keep the angle of the bounce, but it's a bit troublesome to setup
    v5 uses 2 notches that can control the angle of the bounce.

Note that the surface is yellow.. to give a warmer effect for people shots. v5.1 will be done later that uses the translucent double layer plastic (anybody knows what it is called?)
    [/QUOTE]

Yes.. the flash is pointed at the ceiling..
    If it's vertical, you'll need a flash that can swivel to the top and modify my design so that it can go on the side of the flash.. hmm.. maybe that's a good idea for v6.0

Alternatively use the original bounce card... with a swivel flash, the card can always quickly switch to the side of the flash for vertical shots.

Note that the original bounce card is good when the ceiling can be used for bounce.. so the card reflects some of the light towards the object while the rest of the light goes to the ceiling.

Tip: For the original bounce card, buy the thick white/yellow card so you can choose which side you want to bounce off... if you want a warm effect, just use the yellow side..

Originally posted by plainsman
    hi willy,

thanks for the pictures you posted

i have a couple of questions,

1. is the flash is meant to point to the ceiling when you shoot?

2. if i were to take a subject using vertical framing though, i will need a flash that can swivel to the top?

thanks for any advice u can offer.

cheerios