Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: close up filter

  1. #1

    Default close up filter

    hey guys!

    i've just got my sigma 70-300mm. i'm hoping to take macro shots with it and i've done alittle playing around with the lens.

    i'm thinking of shortening the min focusing distance. i know one cheap way around it would be using close up lenses. i'm thinking of getting a cheap +2 or +4 close up to try it to see how it works out

    the sigma focuses to 1.5m on normal mode and up to 0.95m on macro mode. if i were to use a +2 or a +4 closeup, how much close can i get?

    thanks guys!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    west
    Posts
    1,313

    Default Re: close up filter

    i not sure how much closer.
    but i think IIRC the size of the image is like
    +3 diopter so the object is 3X bigger

  3. #3

    Default Re: close up filter

    oh.. that sounds good, i was under the impression that i would have to get closer to the object to get more magnification..

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: close up filter

    Quote Originally Posted by noob117 View Post
    i not sure how much closer.
    but i think IIRC the size of the image is like
    +3 diopter so the object is 3X bigger
    Wrong concept.

    +3 diopter mean you use plus (magnifier) filter with its focus point (focal length) of 1/d=3 meter(s) or 33.33cm in front of your lens. The maximum focus distance become 33.33cm (when the lens's focus distance is set to infinity).

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Last edited by Artosoft; 8th May 2007 at 04:08 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: close up filter

    hmm.. i think i will have to try before i can say anything. i dont know if its worth it adding a cheap close up on my 70-300mm...

  6. #6

    Default Re: close up filter

    +2 is about 0.5m, +4 is 0.25

  7. #7

    Default Re: close up filter

    i have used a +3 on my 75-240, and it seems to be good, but still cant compare to a true micro lens. here are some photo tested on the +3 filter
    Learning is never ending
    www.augustinecheong.com

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    west
    Posts
    1,313

    Default Re: close up filter

    hi TS have you tryed the close up filter on your sigma 70-300 already?
    i would to konw if it is good anot

    cheers

  9. #9

    Default Re: close up filter

    No zoom, even some exotic German apo zoom costing 8 or 10k can ever match a dedicated prime macro lens.

    Having said that, a close-up filter is a great (and cheap!) way to get into the world of close-ups, or 'macros'. On a zoom lens, the convenience is at least doubled over a prime in that you have the option to change the size of the object on the sensor without having to physically move to and fro.

    Lots of purists will tell you that you won't get great quality with a zoom and a CU filter. But thereagain, those purists are not paying for your equipment nor are they your clients (if you're shooting for $$$).

    Just try it out and most importantly, have FUN!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: close up filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    No zoom, even some exotic German apo zoom costing 8 or 10k can ever match a dedicated prime macro lens.

    Having said that, a close-up filter is a great (and cheap!) way to get into the world of close-ups, or 'macros'. On a zoom lens, the convenience is at least doubled over a prime in that you have the option to change the size of the object on the sensor without having to physically move to and fro.

    Lots of purists will tell you that you won't get great quality with a zoom and a CU filter. But thereagain, those purists are not paying for your equipment nor are they your clients (if you're shooting for $$$).

    Just try it out and most importantly, have FUN!
    well, believe it or not. I tried sigma 70-300 with either Hoya +4 and Nikon 4T (One of the best CU filter) and results ain't good.

  11. #11

    Default Re: close up filter

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    well, believe it or not. I tried sigma 70-300 with either Hoya +4 and Nikon 4T (One of the best CU filter) and results ain't good.
    Could be. I guess it all depends on the inherent quality of the zoom lens in the first place. If it's really bad, then no matter what one uses - CU filters, extension tubes etc results still won't be so good. Sometimes, it also depends on how the user optimises use of the lens (sweet spot, sweet focal length, sweet apeture, lighting techniques etc).

    CHEERS!

  12. #12

    Default Re: close up filter

    If its any help these are taken with a 85mm and a brandless +4 filter. I really cant stand the CA cuased by the filter though its not evident much in these pics.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....&postcount=152
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  13. #13

    Default Re: close up filter

    Quote Originally Posted by noob117 View Post
    i not sure how much closer.
    but i think IIRC the size of the image is like
    +3 diopter so the object is 3X bigger
    Dun think +3 diopter give 3x bigger magnification

    Using a closeup filter, magnification depend on focal length and diopter value.

    Click here to read the macro FAQs
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  14. #14

    Default Re: close up filter

    Try using Dual close-up +4. give u a better result.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: close up filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Esuper View Post
    Try using Dual close-up +4. give u a better result.
    If one +3 is already worsen the image, how can dual +4 give better result ?

    Regards,
    Arto.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •