Thread: Leather jacket- how to clean it?

Default Leather jacket- how to clean it?

hey all just wanna ask around if you guys have any idea how to clean leather jackets. thx for the shared information.

Default Re: Leather jacket- how to clean it?

use warm water and wipe.

oh ok need to use any special detergent?

Quote Originally Posted by RxXxX View Post
    oh ok need to use any special detergent?
    no need. just some warm water and wipe it.

hey all just wanna ask around if you guys have any idea how to clean leather jackets. thx for the shared information.
    If it is very smelly, you need to send it to a professional leather cleaner who will charge you a bomb for cleaning it.

Else, I normally just use a spay-type leather cleaner... the same stuff you clean the car leather seats. I use the Autoglym stuff all the time.

If you use warm water, the leather will lose its oil content. Fact is, leather is the skin of a dead cow. The day it died, the cow stops moisturising its skin. So, if if it loses too much oil, it will dry out and crack.

If it gets too dry, not to worry. There are leather creams. A weaker form is again those things for your car leather seats, like Autoglym Leather Cream. For stronger oiling, you can use mink oil (usually synthetic nowadays) to moisturise it. It's the same stuff you can buy at Bata for moisturing shoes. Don't apply too much, else it will get too greasy (in which case, you will need to leave it to dry for a few weeks).

oh erm so troubesome... i checked the cost of dry cleaning it at the laundry shop, they said it cost me 60 dollars to clean it.. just wanna know also how to get rid of the sweat smell inside the jacket.

oh erm so troubesome... i checked the cost of dry cleaning it at the laundry shop, they said it cost me 60 dollars to clean it.. just wanna know also how to get rid of the sweat smell inside the jacket.
    For the sweat smell inside the jacket, the only natural element that I can think of is the sun. Believe it or not, it works (at least for me). Whenever I came back from an overseas trip especially winter countries, I will sun the jacket (inside out) to get rid of the smell.

But this maybe tricky for you since it has been raining quite frequently.

For the oil, you can try Timberland. They sell oil & wax for their leather goods.

The dry cleaner shop at Raffles City is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103 View Post
    For the oil, you can try Timberland. They sell oil & wax for their leather goods.
    Timberland is good, but overpriced. For wax, you can't really get any better than Kiwi. I've been using those since army days and they are truly very good. For oil, I just use the Bata Mink Oil.

How is the mink oil used? Does it have to be wiped off periodically?

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    How is the mink oil used? Does it have to be wiped off periodically?
    Just apply it on the leather. The leather will soak up the oil if it is dry. Then just wipe off the excess. Don't put too much, else the oil will go through the leather to the inner-lining, which is not very pleasant. :P

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Timberland is good, but overpriced. For wax, you can't really get any better than Kiwi. I've been using those since army days and they are truly very good. For oil, I just use the Bata Mink Oil.
    Never tried Kiwi on my leather jackets before. Thought the thought crossed the mind - leather boots -> leather jackets. I've kiwi-ed some of my old leather cases & it worked fine. Just need to make sure wipe down clean with cloth before using.

Do you use those from metal cans which still require to brush (like old army days) or those premix-plastic bottles types on the jackets?

Will give both the Kiwi & Bata Mink oil both a try.

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
    Never tried Kiwi on my leather jackets before. Thought the thought crossed the mind - leather boots -> leather jackets. I've kiwi-ed some of my old leather cases & it worked fine. Just need to make sure wipe down clean with cloth before using.

Do you use those from metal cans which still require to brush (like old army days) or those premix-plastic bottles types on the jackets?

Will give both the Kiwi & Bata Mink oil both a try.
    Leather wax is leather wax... and leather oil is leather oil...

It is best to keep to those colourless ones. If you use black kiwi, and not clean them off properly, you will dirty the furniture you sit on. Actually, wax and oil will dirty furniture, even if they are neutral coloured. So, must remember to take them off if you sit on your friend's sofa if the jacket is freshly waxed/oiled... else you may lose a friend.

I used to have a leather jacket when I was studying in the UK. I took care of it very well and it lasted for many many years. But I used it to go to school, so only school furniture and public transport chairs for me.

If you are worried about it, then stick to those cleaners and creams designed for cleaning leather sofas. Those are quite safe on furniture.

I have a leather jacket that developed white mould on its surface (the shiny side). Is this what will happen if it's not oiled? I'm worried about the oil staining everything it comes into contact with; other clothes and all.

In Daiso they also sell some dessicant for leather material... was wondering if this is really necessary. It looks like calcium carbonate mixed with silica gel.

I have a leather jacket that developed white mould on its surface (the shiny side). Is this what will happen if it's not oiled? I'm worried about the oil staining everything it comes into contact with; other clothes and all.

In Daiso they also sell some dessicant for leather material... was wondering if this is really necessary. It looks like calcium carbonate mixed with silica gel.
    You don't necessarily have to oil it. However, it needs to be moisturised somehow. Leather cleaner and cream would be ok for most occasions. Try the stuff for cleaning leather seats. Then apply the cream. It's not that bad. I sit on my leather sofa that is cleaned and creamed... and I don't see stains on my clothes. The stronger the moisturiser means the less frequent you need to do the job... that's all. Mink Oil is strong... but it gives the jacket a nice shine.

If you don't do anything with the jacket, it will start drying out, and then it will mould/rot. It's after all, the preserved skin of a dead cow. What do you expect?

So how much is the mink oil anyway? Can get it at any bata shop?

So how much is the mink oil anyway? Can get it at any bata shop?
    It's not very expensive. About $6-7? I cannot remember. It's not really oil from a mink... else it won't be so cheap. It's synthetic nowadays.

Yes, you can get it from any Bata shop. Actually, most leather shoe shops will carry mink oil.

Turns out that bata also has something called leather lotion. It's supposed to clean and nourish. A dollar less than the mink oil.