Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Looking thru the gate.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default Looking thru the gate.

    Looking thru the gate

    Please comment.

  2. #2
    Moderator chngpe01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,863
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    You have done what is called "Framing an object" using an imaginative approach to take a subject in a new visual dimension (I have paraphrased from the 'National Geographic Field Guide - Secrets to making great pictures')

    It is very nice and creative.

    IMHO the framing objective (in this case the gate) is abit large and stunning, as such it tends to draw some attention of the viewer away from the subject ie the church. Perhaps if you cropped away abit of the top and the right side it would probably look stunning.

    Cheers

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by chngpe01
    You have done what is called "Framing an object" using an imaginative approach to take a subject in a new visual dimension (I have paraphrased from the 'National Geographic Field Guide - Secrets to making great pictures')

    It is very nice and creative.

    IMHO the framing objective (in this case the gate) is abit large and stunning, as such it tends to draw some attention of the viewer away from the subject ie the church. Perhaps if you cropped away abit of the top and the right side it would probably look stunning.

    Cheers
    Yap.. I always like framing.

    Prehaps I will give it another go when I got the chance again.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by lazyfiddler
    Original!!
    Thanks.. Just a lucky shot..

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Default

    excellent.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default Re: Heh...

    Originally posted by Pain
    Lots of people did this shot
    Is it?

    I didn't know that.

    Haven't seen one.. maybe can provide a link so that I can improve?

    I think there's room for much improvement.

  9. #9

    Default

    yesh, very nice.
    guess ya're really lucky, liked the exposure. where the details on the gate was exposed for also.

    given the color of the sky, I think the picture will hit harder if it's named sth else. The intrigate curves on the gate faced by the straights of the church. ya don't happen to have a serious coming up do ya !?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    谁是你
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    it's a nice shot ... however it would be better if the right curve of the gate doesn't cut into the building and the foreground is sharp by using hyperfocal focusing.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by tucker
    yesh, very nice.
    guess ya're really lucky, liked the exposure. where the details on the gate was exposed for also.

    given the color of the sky, I think the picture will hit harder if it's named sth else. The intrigate curves on the gate faced by the straights of the church. ya don't happen to have a serious coming up do ya !?
    Thanks for the compliments..

    Err.. I dun think I had something serious coming unless you consider a basic theory test as something serious.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Originally posted by kiwitan
    it's a nice shot ... however it would be better if the right curve of the gate doesn't cut into the building and the foreground is sharp by using hyperfocal focusing.
    Thanks.

    I like the way the gate is blur due to the DOF. I set it to a middle one to achieve that result.

    I remember this is the biggest "hole" I can find.. If I have the chance, I will redo this shot all over again..

    I think a "bigger" church would be nicer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •