Thread: Escape!

Default Escape!

For a long while I had intended to shoot a series depicting the damage that the 27 May 2006 earthquake wrought upon Yogyakarta. Well it's almost coming to a year and much of the damage to the south of the city has yet to be repaired/rebuilt.

I wanted to show with this picture perhaps how we have taken for granted that light and the sight of the sky is always readily available. How it became their only goal as the trapped survivors tried to free themselves from the rubble and escape from the building collapsing around them...

Shot taken amongst a ruined building within the Keraton's walls. Fuji Neopan SS. Shutter/Aperture forgotten

Critique for composition, theme, etc are all welcome. Mainly looking for suggestions on how to make this an even more visually engaging/powerful photo.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Escape!

nice frame and composition but the image by itself does not say
    escape or earthquake ruins

i feel that to make your image more powerful you will need to add some element that would link your image to the earthquake and/or death and survival. Maybe a rag doll or a dismembered arm... something like that

i hope it helps

good pic. i think if this was part of a series of pics dicpicting the earthquake, it would be good.

I will try to look out for dismembered arms next time. Ok, but seriously, I think those elements you mentioned might still have been there 10 months ago. Opportunity missed. What about bringing "props" around? Would that hmm... violate some ethics in photography. Especially the reportage/journalistic variety? That's one of the reasons why I seldom touch or move anything in a scene.

tribalsnake: it is part of a series. but I will get spanked if I post more than one photo here. Heh.

edit add-on: Hmmm. Maybe I will try to reshoot this scene again some time, bring along a model to pose as a survivor crawling towards that light. How would that look?
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 1st May 2007 at 07:54 PM.

nah, dun do fake posing.
    will never achieve the desired effect if you are trying to convey something real.

by itself is a good pic. would convey the message since as you said is part of a series.

Ok. Noted