Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparing HDD transfer rates for X-Drive II (split from EastGear's MO of X-Drive II)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5400rpm vs 4200 rpm

Originally posted by Nutcase
    But I thought that is represented by the media transfer rate (ie how fast data can be transfered from the media to the disc interface...

and this is represented by the average seek time (ie how faster the head moves from one sector to another within the disc.

If the 2 parameters we are looking at is true, then it appears that the value is the same for both 4200/5400rpm drives.
    They're all linked I'm not harddrive expert but generally the faster a media spin, the faster the data pickup. eg. 52x cdrom drives spin much faster than a 30x one and transfer data at a faster rate. With a faster rotation speed, average seek time will generally be shorter too (of course the disk read/write heads must be able to work fast enough).

The articles below probably explain much more than what I could in simple paragraphs:
    http://www.storagereview.com/welcome...erf/index.html

There're articles which explain how a harddrive works too. It may aid in the understanding why spinning faster result in better transfer performance.

Read it and come back with more questions
    Last edited by mpenza; 20th March 2003 at 09:34 PM.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Just to check - did you also loose half of the stuff the subsequent time you tried to transfer the full 512MB from the CF?

The reason I asked is if you have ssen one of my posting - I mentioned that when I tried to copy over a 256MB CF, I only managed to get about 198+MB over and the rest did not copy over as well. But I did not have the chance to try it again yet.

If what you say is true - I wonder if the same would also happen to other media > 256MB??

Actually, the day that I got the X-Drive II I shot a full 512MB CF card of RAW images and the transfer went smoothly. Transferred all 512MB in 7 mins 54 Seconds. That is why I attributed to my own carelessness of not making sure that the transfer was taking place.

So if you have anything more than 256MB, it should have no problems transferring.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 5400rpm vs 4200 rpm

Originally posted by mpenza
    EastGear has made the corrections (see above). You must have avoided all USB 1.1 peripherals which will only transfer ~12KBps (~12 times slower than the floppy disk) according to your calculations....

Following the correction, sustained harddrive transfer speed will easily be less than 480Mbps and a faster harddrive does help (at least for the transfer from Xbox to the PC). But as usual, the slowest component in the chain will determine the overall transfer speed.

Yup, misread the part about the B and b Anyway, that's just the theoretical interface transfer speed for one of the standards (ATA-100?).

Huh?? USB 1.1 speed slower than floppy disk?????!!!!

FYI,
    (b = bit; B = byte)
    USB2.0 Max = 480Mbps = 60MBps
    USB1.1 Max = 12Mbps = 1.5MBps
    Floppy Max = 1Mbps = 0.125MBps

(The MAX mean the industry spec of the maximum throughput of the interface. The real speed depends on the device and system performance.)

Originally posted by agape01
    I would like to share my experience about the X-Drive II.

The one thing that when you get a X-Drive is that you have to make sure that the drive is transferring data over. On the overall basis, it is a wonderful device to use.

What happened to me is that I went for a outdoor model shoot. The sad part is that I had lost about half of my shots because I did not make sure that the transfer was actually taking place. I didn't see the LCD screen indicating that the transfer was taking place. BTW, I was transfering a 512MB CF card all shots taken in RAW. When I got home, I realised that I had lost about half of the shots. That is the horrible part of the X-Drive. When you loose information, you just get a very bad feeling. Something like you just want to kick yourself.

On the other hand, I went on a shooting spree at the Cheerobics competition. This is where the X-Drive performed beautifully. I took over a thousand shots for the event and had no problems whatsoever in transferring the images.

Mpenza as well as whoever is going to the Zoo shoot on Saturday, I would gladly show you guys my X-Drive. Just got to make sure that the transfer is actually taking place as I would be shooting in RAW again.
    Hi would like to know what brand of 512 CF are you using?
    Thinking of getting Xdrive II too but worry my Ridata CF might have problem with it.Thank in advance

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5400rpm vs 4200 rpm

Originally posted by s2s1
    Huh?? USB 1.1 speed slower than floppy disk?????!!!!
    reread the thread. the info is true only if Nutcase's original calculations were right.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5400rpm vs 4200 rpm

Originally posted by mpenza
    reread the thread. the info is true only if Nutcase's original calculations were right.
    Yup, i know what did u mean. I further ur expression that "Nutcase calculation was wrong". Sorry that my expression make u misunderstand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12