Thread: Faulty Li-Ion Batteries...

Default Faulty Li-Ion Batteries...

how many actually encountered faulty batteries??...i got a couple of "OEM" ones and it seems to last only 6 months...then all start fail to hold charge

Default Re: Faulty Li-Ion Batteries...

Are your battery practices good?

At first when I used my Lenovo laptop I was a very good boy. Only charge when run out of battery, try to minimise mixing of unfully drained battery and charging with AC adaptor simultaneously. A few months back I got lazy and my battery started doing weird stuff like last for 30 minutes on one full charge, which was exasperating. And yesterday morning it conked out entirely.

On another note altogether, Lenovo service is super zai. I called them in the morning around 0830 hrs, and by 1000 hrs their courier service with new replacement battery had arrived - no charge since still under warranty. =D

Oops, big digression, but the point is - good battery practices go a long way! =D

li-ion batts are different...do not need to drain fully..unlike nimh or nicd...

But it's still best to fully discharge & charge Li-Ion batts.

O
    M
    G

Pardon my ignorance.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-li...on-battery.htm

Though the batteries do not suffer from the memory effect, it is just the opposite that users should be wary of. Lithium ion batteries shouldn't be run all the way down before charging; they respond much better with constant recharges. Battery gauges, on the other hand, are often impacted and display incorrect readings from this practice. This leads some people to believe a memory effect exists, when in fact it's the meter that needs to be reset. Draining the battery all the way down every 30 charges or so can recalibrate the gauge.

Eventually all rechargeable lithium ion batteries will meet their end. After about two to three years, li-ion batteries expire, whether or not they are being used. To prolong the battery when not in use, store it in a cool dry place at approximately 40 percent capacity. Also, avoid exposing a lithium ion battery to extreme temperatures for prolonged periods of time, and recharge constantly when in use. When it's time to eventually dispose, lithium ion batteries are much safer than many other types of rechargeable batteries, allowing them to be safely placed in the trash. As with most other things - if recycling is an option, that is the best one of all.

0.o Weird, must have been battery fault then!

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    O
    M
    G

Pardon my ignorance.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-li...on-battery.htm

0.o Weird, must have been battery fault then!
    yup.. draining a li-ion battery down to zero..is as good as having the chances of the battery exploding when charging increase by ten fold....

guys better understand how li-ion battery works before fooling around with them..li-ion fires are difficult to put out.. mind you..

Quote Originally Posted by RtOaNn View Post
    But it's still best to fully discharge & charge Li-Ion batts.
    no no..dangerous...

Quote Originally Posted by eleewhm View Post
    no no..dangerous...
    Really?
    I always use my laptop battery till it asks me to charge leh.

Quote Originally Posted by RtOaNn View Post
    Really?
    I always use my laptop battery till it asks me to charge leh.
    Not empty right? It is ok. Li-ION is dangerous if you handle it incorrectly. I learn from RC forum.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by eleewhm View Post
    how many actually encountered faulty batteries??...i got a couple of "OEM" ones and it seems to last only 6 months...then all start fail to hold charge
    OEM battery may don't have enough test before they release it to the market. OEM battery may don't have enough protection circuit to save cost. I am always avoid OEM battery as my experience with OEM battery was never good. But sometimes no choice like O2 hp battery, can't find the original one. They put sticker capacity is double than my original O2 battery, but when I use it, it is nearly only half the original capacity .

Regards,
    Arto.

doesn't matter... I charge mine as and when I need... been 2 years but no significant drop in batt performance tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Not empty right? It is ok. Li-ION is dangerous if you handle it incorrectly. I learn from RC forum.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Nope, don't think so. Yup, heard from my RC frenz that Li-Ion burns really violently at high temps. But didn't remember until now,

Li-ion batteries have built-in circuitry to prevent full discharge of the battery. Full discharge of Li-ion is not dangerous, but it will permantly damage the battery.

The danger of fire or explosion is mostly during charging. Improper charging will cause gas buildup and lead to possible explosion. One of the reason that Li-on is not build into conventional battery sizes like AA, AAA, C or D, is that one cannot use a NiMH charger to charge Li-ion batteries, otherwise, it may lead to fire or explosion.

BC