Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    No. of threads are down.. not surprising especially a lot of 'good critics" are no longer around. A lot of photographers who used to be in CS are also not around anymore..

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Pleasure seekers?
    well... what is life without pleasure ? all humans seek it... some just hide it so well.

  3. #23

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    No. of threads are down.. not surprising especially a lot of 'good critics" are no longer around. A lot of photographers who used to be in CS are also not around anymore..
    Sighhh, agreed. I've been hoping to get meaningful critiques (be it harsh or otherwise) on my latest works, but none received thus far. I'm still hoping for some to point out faults, if not, probably will have to try the Critique corner liao...

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    West
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    I posted there once and got non-constructive negative comments a few mintues after that, instead of critique. The moderator deleted it much later, but I feel that there is no point in posting there anymore.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Ahhhh,

    Allow me to get flamed or what ever.

    My view on this thread.

    A key person that contributed much in posts and in doing so, challenged others creativability is no longer here.

    There are many that still remain and within them selves contribute many good works.

    But I think that some of the passion to explore and discuss interesting works has gone since student left.

    I know 50% disliked student and 50% appreciated what the man stood for, reguardless,
    students presence created greater interest in the forum.

    Just my view on the question; dislike it and flame if you will
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  6. #26

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    I think it's also because we seem to only have 4-5 models doing all the rounds... Why start the 20th thread posting pictures of the same model?

  7. #27

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Seriously, I think the main reason is leeching...

    Not only in the Portraits subforum, but also the ready,lights, action subforum as well... As mentioned by the TS, in the past, many photographer post the pics of their shoot, be it model shoots or during event/exhibitions/shows. Noticed that the number of pictures posted in the ready,lights,actions have also decline.. Often, pictures posted have been leeched to other places, and the leeches used the pictures for their own benefits/uses. One very good example is in the other forum... (Especially after IT show, PC show, Sitex)

    Copyrights issues aside...
    Another possible reason is because people give a second thought before posting pictures blindly. CSer realised that the pictures are not up to standard OR can't pass his own C&C and think that it's better not to embarass himself in the public.
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  8. #28
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Hmm, well nowadays you don't even see one thread for each shoot anymore even.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I think it's also because we seem to only have 4-5 models doing all the rounds... Why start the 20th thread posting pictures of the same model?

  9. #29
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I think it's also because we seem to only have 4-5 models doing all the rounds... Why start the 20th thread posting pictures of the same model?
    same model and different photographer can mean a whole world of difference......

  10. #30

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Personally i feel that the sharing culture has changed... the remarks that are flying around today are more snide than constructive... Critisim....?? there are still a few who share... but are usually shot down by others with preconceived ideas and private agendas... hope for a revival? well... Who is God without satan... and who is satan without God?

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Ahhhh,

    Allow me to get flamed or what ever.

    My view on this thread.

    A key person that contributed much in posts and in doing so, challenged others creativability is no longer here.

    There are many that still remain and within them selves contribute many good works.

    But I think that some of the passion to explore and discuss interesting works has gone since student left.

    I know 50% disliked student and 50% appreciated what the man stood for, reguardless,
    students presence created greater interest in the forum.

    Just my view on the question; dislike it and flame if you will
    hehe.. not just student lah.. still have our "favourite" Zeckson with his colourful writing. People like ESPN, AJ etc... also disappear..

  12. #32
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    You sure ESPN has disappeared? Maybe the account itself (which is deregistered), and _ESPN_ which is abandoned, but the natural person himself may be in these forums in another incarnation

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    hehe.. not just student lah.. still have our "favourite" Zeckson with his colourful writing. People like ESPN, AJ etc... also disappear..

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,716

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    hehe.. not just student lah.. still have our "favourite" Zeckson with his colourful writing. People like ESPN, AJ etc... also disappear..
    Someone called?

    On a side note, indeed posting in portraiture subforum has dropped SUSTANTIALLY. Like what v123123 has said, we used to have at least 1 posting per model per model shoot done, but those were the haydays where there are a lot of organised model shoots. I always waited with eagerness every sun/mon to see the postings after shoots done on sat/sun. But, that was then, for all oldbies to remember.

    Now, we have much lesser organised model shoots, though there seems to be a revival recently. Which could be a good sign, and looking @ the number of signups, there seems to be a lot of new faces, meaning more new blood going out to shoot and experiment.

    So, why no more (more) postings in portraiture sub-forum?

  14. #34
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Wah so fast you appear out of the woodwork!

    Actually hor, I'd think that there are MORE model shoots now than those old days. But donno why don't have any posts. In the not so old days (ard the 'mid' days), there was a at least 60% threads of the number of participants (ie if 10 join, ard 6 will post new threads)

    Now, it would be difficult to even find ONE thread PER model shoot organised.

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ23 View Post
    Someone called?

    On a side note, indeed posting in portraiture subforum has dropped SUSTANTIALLY. Like what v123123 has said, we used to have at least 1 posting per model per model shoot done, but those were the haydays where there are a lot of organised model shoots. I always waited with eagerness every sun/mon to see the postings after shoots done on sat/sun. But, that was then, for all oldbies to remember.

    Now, we have much lesser organised model shoots, though there seems to be a revival recently. Which could be a good sign, and looking @ the number of signups, there seems to be a lot of new faces, meaning more new blood going out to shoot and experiment.

    So, why no more (more) postings in portraiture sub-forum?

  15. #35

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Interesting to note... I used to pass by say a fashion show and would recognise a lot of photographers there.. That day I just passed by Novena Sq 2's fashion show and I didn't see a single person I know..

    The lao jiao's grew out of fashion shows??

  16. #36
    Senior Member harrynkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo View Post
    Interesting to note... I used to pass by say a fashion show and would recognise a lot of photographers there.. That day I just passed by Novena Sq 2's fashion show and I didn't see a single person I know..

    The lao jiao's grew out of fashion shows??
    i was there lah on SAT nv c u
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

  17. #37
    Senior Member harrynkl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    3,651

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    The asian style of comments are harsh and not constructive enough, just go to any western forums, they beat you hard but pointers are given. maybe our culture play a part.
    Canon 1D MK3,28-200 F3.5-5.6, 100 F2
    My Models

  18. #38

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    same model and different photographer can mean a whole world of difference......
    Agreed!!! But to add on, same photographer, different model can also meant a whole lot of difference too... Not forgetting the next most important person - the MUA...

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ23 View Post
    Someone called?

    On a side note, indeed posting in portraiture subforum has dropped SUSTANTIALLY. Like what v123123 has said, we used to have at least 1 posting per model per model shoot done, but those were the haydays where there are a lot of organised model shoots. I always waited with eagerness every sun/mon to see the postings after shoots done on sat/sun. But, that was then, for all oldbies to remember.

    Now, we have much lesser organised model shoots, though there seems to be a revival recently. Which could be a good sign, and looking @ the number of signups, there seems to be a lot of new faces, meaning more new blood going out to shoot and experiment.

    So, why no more (more) postings in portraiture sub-forum?
    There are alot of people organising model shoots, but are they organised, I'm not too sure...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  19. #39

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by harrynkl View Post
    i was there lah on SAT nv c u
    I was just glancing at the photogaphers from the upper floors.. didn't have a camera at all with me.. was just shopping around

  20. #40
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: A Decline in the Number of Threads in Portraits Subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo View Post
    I was just glancing at the photogaphers from the upper floors.. didn't have a camera at all with me.. was just shopping around
    doesn't that feel good? ahhaha

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •