Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Mouse injury

  1. #1

    Default Mouse injury

    Hi Guys

    Not too sure if is the correct post, but would like someone to give me opinion on the issue.

    Having this problem since a year ago, have see many doctor or chinese physican, eat alot of gocosume still the pain will not go away. Now my shoulder can't lift up straight pointing the sky. Quite difficult if take bus or MRT.

    Currently, my shoulder joint is aching due to long hours using the mouse. Is this normal for most of us with office jobs? I'm currently getting a Tablet just to change the way my right hand is moving. Will this helps in a way?

    Thanks
    Daniel

  2. #2
    Member tony_teo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tanah Merah
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Sounds like RSI. You might want to check out the ergonomics of your desk and such.

    Not too sure if this is the right place for such a post. The 'Kopi Tiam' might be a better choice.
    Last edited by tony_teo; 30th April 2007 at 02:41 PM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    west side!
    Posts
    725

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    tablet wun help much. this is due to the strain from angling ur wrist and shoulders for long periods of times.

    try to exercise more, work with weights to strenghten ur muscles, else just got for swims.
    if pain persists, acupunture may work. else have to go for surgery to correct the problem.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Volcano Land
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Yep... RSI. CTS. Whatever you want to call it. Heh.

    Does your chair have arm-rests? I'm not sure about your desk's design. But my previous office has keyboards and mouse at a very comfortable height relative to the arm-rest. Basically it's as comfortable as sitting in an easy chair.

    Your boss might not be too happy, but you could take more frequent breaks. Heh.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Mouse injured? Go see a Vet...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Wrong forum.

    Kopitiam please...

    Regards,
    Arto.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Mouse injured? Go see a Vet...

    hahahahha! just when i wanted to type that!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    hahahahha! just when i wanted to type that!
    well... another way to put it...

    What brand? Send back for RMA lor...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well... another way to put it...

    What brand? Send back for RMA lor...


    hahahahahhaha!


    erm.......breed another one lar .......

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Basically your elbow should be the height of your table and your eye level should be about the top part of your computer.

    Get a good adjustable chair so that you can adjust it to suit. I find little thing like the height of back support could cause back pain.

    I used to have tendontitis on my right elbow until I started to use a Wacom tablet.

    Another thing I locate my computer table near the fridge so there are plenty of food and drink within arm's reach.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Basically your elbow should be the height of your table and your eye level should be about the top part of your computer.

    Get a good adjustable chair so that you can adjust it to suit. I find little thing like the height of back support could cause back pain.

    I used to have tendontitis on my right elbow until I started to use a Wacom tablet.

    Another thing I locate my computer table near the fridge so there are plenty of food and drink within arm's reach.
    Hello,

    As I had noted in another post that you take your computer comfort seriously. What is the benefit given with a wacom tablet you mention.

    Thank you for any reply.
    If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Quote Originally Posted by everybody View Post
    Hello,

    As I had noted in another post that you take your computer comfort seriously. What is the benefit given with a wacom tablet you mention.

    Thank you for any reply.
    Firstly using a pen is a more precise way of doing selections, paths and cloning etc. etc.

    Some people grip the mouse too hard and move only the wrist instead of the whole arm. They are likely to end up having wrist pain or tendontitis on elbow.

    Thirdly knowing how to use Wacom is becoming mandatory as a digital retoucher these days. Two interviews I went to only had Wacom tables attached to the Mac. I've just got an email from a publisher in Sydney looking for a casual digital retoucher. One of the requirements is the ability to use Wacom Tablet.

    Wacom tablets are getting cheaper these days. The basic 4X5 size only costs around A$100.
    Last edited by Sion; 30th April 2007 at 09:08 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Suggest you to do some physiotherapy. Otherwise, take a long break from work. Dun lose your arm over work. Not worth it.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Queensland Australia
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Hello Sion,

    Thank you for your replies and helpfull information.

    Bye.
    If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Hi Sion

    Sorry, can I ask how how it takes to recover once you have changed to using tablet. Btw, did you eat any medicine currently or your during your injury?

    Once my tablet arrived, will change immediately. Will see how is the improvement.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Firstly using a pen is a more precise way of doing selections, paths and cloning etc. etc.

    Some people grip the mouse too hard and move only the wrist instead of the whole arm. They are likely to end up having wrist pain or tendontitis on elbow.

    Thirdly knowing how to use Wacom is becoming mandatory as a digital retoucher these days. Two interviews I went to only had Wacom tables attached to the Mac. I've just got an email from a publisher in Sydney looking for a casual digital retoucher. One of the requirements is the ability to use Wacom Tablet.

    Wacom tablets are getting cheaper these days. The basic 4X5 size only costs around A$100.

  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    get better chair
    adjust the chair to table height
    adjust mouse area to suit you
    take breaks

  17. #17
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hi Sion

    Sorry, can I ask how how it takes to recover once you have changed to using tablet. Btw, did you eat any medicine currently or your during your injury?

    Once my tablet arrived, will change immediately. Will see how is the improvement.
    At the beginning I was given a few types of anti-inflamatory tablets e.g. Celebrex, Mobic, Voltaren etc. which were not a solution as I had to keep taking them.

    For immerdiate relief a doc gave me Kenacort injection on the elbow. But the pain came back a few months later.

    Then I went for accupunture which was slow to see the effect.

    After I changed to Wacom pen tablet the stiffness and soreness at my right elbow was gone in a few days.

    However also look into other factors as some have mentioned here e.g. chair to table height etc.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Thanks, I think the problem is quite smiliar, hopefully changing into tablet will helps. Infact, I have change my mouse hand which is right hand to left hand. Now using a left hand for the mouse.



    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    At the beginning I was given a few types of anti-inflamatory tablets e.g. Celebrex, Mobic, Voltaren etc. which were not a solution as I had to keep taking them.

    For immerdiate relief a doc gave me Kenacort injection on the elbow. But the pain came back a few months later.

    Then I went for accupunture which was slow to see the effect.

    After I changed to Wacom pen tablet the stiffness and soreness at my right elbow was gone in a few days.

    However also look into other factors as some have mentioned here e.g. chair to table height etc.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    from your description, you are having frozen shoulder where the capsule around the ball-joint is hardened. You need physiotherapy for a course and will be back to normal. Treatment may involve shortwidth heat to loosen it out slowly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hi Guys

    Not too sure if is the correct post, but would like someone to give me opinion on the issue.

    Having this problem since a year ago, have see many doctor or chinese physican, eat alot of gocosume still the pain will not go away. Now my shoulder can't lift up straight pointing the sky. Quite difficult if take bus or MRT.

    Currently, my shoulder joint is aching due to long hours using the mouse. Is this normal for most of us with office jobs? I'm currently getting a Tablet just to change the way my right hand is moving. Will this helps in a way?

    Thanks
    Daniel

  20. #20

    Default Re: Mouse injury

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Thanks, I think the problem is quite smiliar, hopefully changing into tablet will helps. Infact, I have change my mouse hand which is right hand to left hand. Now using a left hand for the mouse.

    Wah... what if your left hand gets injured too... Then you will be seriously crippled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •