Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Eye strain due to ps work

  1. #1

    Default Eye strain due to ps work

    sometimes i could spent an entire noon in front of my com to process pics.

    anyone knows what is the max time i should sit in front of the LCD before my eyes get conks out?

    it's giving me headaches as well.

    how long do you guys look at the screen before you take a break?

  2. #2

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Every 45 minutes you should take a short break. =D

    Of say, 5 minutes. So long as you don't look at anything digital. Of course it's easier said than done when you have A LOT of photos to process or look through to see which ones to dump. =D

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    need to process so much meh?

    i ususally leave my photos in jpeg format from the cam. just see which to keep, move to a seperate folder and adjust for minor exposure differences that's all. WB and colour related stuff taken care of by camera.

    Each photo usually don't take me more than 2 minutes.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    sometimes i could spent an entire noon in front of my com to process pics.

    anyone knows what is the max time i should sit in front of the LCD before my eyes get conks out?

    it's giving me headaches as well.

    how long do you guys look at the screen before you take a break?
    Don't worry too much lah.

    I photoshop my images as much as 4 to 5 days in a row from 11am to 3am regularly with lunch break, afternoon nap, dinner and bath in between.

    Eyes, appetite, body and sex still okay.

    Only problem is tendontitis on right elbow because of gripping the mouse too long. The problem stops after I change to Wacom Pen tablet.

    Just make sure the monitor isn't too bright.

    Occupation hazard mah. Boh Pian leh. If I can make money by plonking my body in front of a camera I'll give up photography today.

  5. #5

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    ...You can give up now...

    ...There are loads of people out there waiting for you to plonk your Afghan girl in front of the camera!...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    need to process so much meh?

    i ususally leave my photos in jpeg format from the cam. just see which to keep, move to a seperate folder and adjust for minor exposure differences that's all. WB and colour related stuff taken care of by camera.

    Each photo usually don't take me more than 2 minutes.
    I agreed!

    I only process those I put on web or to be delivered to wedding couples.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    sometimes i could spent an entire noon in front of my com to process pics.

    anyone knows what is the max time i should sit in front of the LCD before my eyes get conks out?

    it's giving me headaches as well.

    how long do you guys look at the screen before you take a break?
    Photography is a hobby that we should enjoy and not becoming a burden

    ... unless professional photogs which process day and night to submit their masterpieces to customers...

  8. #8

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    so the general rule is to take a break for every 45m to 1 hour.

    i want to maintain my 6/6 eyesight.

    btw, how do i know the monitor is adjusted to the 'correct' brightness?

    cos after spyder calibration, usually it's bright.and i dim it down.
    i was wondering by dimming the monitor, will it affect the colors?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Sometimes looking at the LCD for too long will affect your color judgement, eyes get sore and will affect your abilities to determine the correct color and brightness. So I think a rest interval every few hours is good as night86mare have mentioned.
    My **flickr Album

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    jus went to see an eye specialist.

    due to prolong staring at the monitor, a fight is inevitable. police has to come down to break up the fight between me and the monitor. a fight, all becos of a staring incident. typical Singapore social problem.

    anyway, the eye specialist said that i need a good old break from the monitor to gif my tired eyes a good old rest. he suggested blindfolding myself when i am to sit infront of the monitor the next time and put on a pair of anti-glare and anti-UV sunglass to protect my fragile eyes.

    yupz, as u are reading, i'm actually typing and navigating with my eyes blindfolded and with an over-sized pair of shades. i can feel that my eyes are recuperating.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  11. #11

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Don't look at the screen for too long...
    1) It damages your eyes
    2) Most likely you'll be in the same siting position for very long time - implies strain on body
    3) No where good for your PSed pic because your eyes are tired, can't really tell whether it is nice or not. Take a rest, look at the pic again. you see a whole different pic and you can see the mistakes more clearly... Repeat...

  12. #12
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    jus went to see an eye specialist.

    due to prolong staring at the monitor, a fight is inevitable. police has to come down to break up the fight between me and the monitor. a fight, all becos of a staring incident. typical Singapore social problem.

    anyway, the eye specialist said that i need a good old break from the monitor to gif my tired eyes a good old rest. he suggested blindfolding myself when i am to sit infront of the monitor the next time and put on a pair of anti-glare and anti-UV sunglass to protect my fragile eyes.

    yupz, as u are reading, i'm actually typing and navigating with my eyes blindfolded and with an over-sized pair of shades. i can feel that my eyes are recuperating.
    Looks like you need an eye massage.

    Get a hot and damped towel and put it over your eyes and roll the eye balls with thumbs.

    Of course with your eyes closed.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    jus went to see an eye specialist.

    due to prolong staring at the monitor, a fight is inevitable. police has to come down to break up the fight between me and the monitor. a fight, all becos of a staring incident. typical Singapore social problem.

    anyway, the eye specialist said that i need a good old break from the monitor to gif my tired eyes a good old rest. he suggested blindfolding myself when i am to sit infront of the monitor the next time and put on a pair of anti-glare and anti-UV sunglass to protect my fragile eyes.

    yupz, as u are reading, i'm actually typing and navigating with my eyes blindfolded and with an over-sized pair of shades. i can feel that my eyes are recuperating.
    How about the baby cheesecake making department. No need eye shades for it?

  14. #14

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Try not to set your fonts too small or display resolution too big which will make your display items very small. This will strain your eyes ...

    While editing the photos, set the view bigger or zoom in more for easy editing.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  15. #15

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post
    Try not to set your fonts too small or display resolution too big which will make your display items very small. This will strain your eyes ...

    While editing the photos, set the view bigger or zoom in more for easy editing.
    ok.noted with thanks

  16. #16

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    so the general rule is to take a break for every 45m to 1 hour.

    i want to maintain my 6/6 eyesight.

    btw, how do i know the monitor is adjusted to the 'correct' brightness?

    cos after spyder calibration, usually it's bright.and i dim it down.
    i was wondering by dimming the monitor, will it affect the colors?
    When calibrating, reduce the luminance value of the white point. This way it will not be that bright.

  17. #17

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    When calibrating, reduce the luminance value of the white point. This way it will not be that bright.

    can elaborate?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    it's giving me headaches as well.
    Could commonly be attributed to neck pain.

    Most people who work with computers for long hours will take time off to do a neck exercise.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jurong Lake District - West
    Posts
    897

    Default Re: eye strain due to ps work

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    When calibrating, reduce the luminance value of the white point. This way it will not be that bright.
    me too...i would like to know too

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Eye strain due to ps work

    One thing we tend to forget about ambience light which could be a cause for eye strain and inconsistency in reviewing results.

    Normally ambient light should be lower than monitor brightness.

    I change my room light to that of daylight bulbs.

    I have a layer of anti-glare foil on my window, venetian blinds and if I do want to cut off the light further especially in bright summer days I have another layer of curtains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •