Thread: Please recommend a Tripod

Question Please recommend a Tripod

Hi all,

I've just got hold of a G3, and I'm now looking at getting a Tripod for it....would appreciate if anyone could recommend a Tripod, to go with my camera.

Many thanks in advance !!

Your budget?

Maybe you'd like to consider the Slik 6000 or 8000 tripod...they should be readily available @ CP.

Hi AdamGoi,

Thanks for the reply and recommendations......I will definitely look into the Tripods that you have recommended.

My budget is really tight, say between $100-$200. I understand that with this budget, I have to compromise between Stability, Quality and Functionality ( eg. Ball-Heads ). A Somewhat Heavy Tripod is preferred, from what I have gathered, from this really helpful forum.

The main requirements that I'm looking for, would be Stability and Protability ( eg. not too big and yet easy to carry around).

Any advice is good advice for me.........

Maybe you can look at the Slik Able series, e.g. 300DX. Not as heavy as Manfrotto, but pretty stable. If your camera isn't too heavy it should do. Note that stable doesn't have to mean heavy; otherwise why do people buy Gitzo carbon-fibres?

such a pro tripod for a g3? are u sure its necessary to spend so much on a tripod? the g3 isnt exactly heavy. the slik u8000 can take a SLR with compact zoom lens, and its only 50 bucks.

oh, i see. i use an SLR with telephotos, so i need more sturdy stuff. in that case you're right, a U8000 will be fine for a light camera without excessive focal length.

but i don't think the U8000 can go really low, so that might be another consideration for you?

Default Re: Please recommend a Tripod

Originally posted by microsmic
    Hi all,

I've just got hold of a G3, and I'm now looking at getting a Tripod for it....would appreciate if anyone could recommend a Tripod, to go with my camera.

Many thanks in advance !!

if you want light but resonably strong, I recommend the Slik Sprint Pro. Comes with a ballhead, which i subsequently got a quick release to go with, whole setup cost about 100, well within your budget. the ballhead is a so-so performer, but you can always upgrade later.

I was using it with my Fuji 602Z, so is about the same weight with your G2.

You can get it from MS Color, got mine new for 85 (w GST).

Say, do you intend to upgrade to a SLR or DSLR in the future?

If yes, a manfrotto 190 + a 141RC head cost abt $200 NEW. Just within your budget.

This combo might be a bit short for those 180 and more.

yeah, consider if u intend to upgrade to a SLR in the near future... if u do, might as well get a better tripod, such at the manfrotto 190, so u dont have to upgrade again when u use a SLR with a HEAVY long lens.

look at the buy sell threads.... some manfrotto 190 for sale.

Originally posted by blizzy
    look at the buy sell threads.... some manfrotto 190 for sale.
    That reminds me.. Have to go and put reserved in my sell theread.