Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are filters necessary for lenses?

Default Re: Are filters necessary for lenses?

How bout Polarizing Filter..... are they really useful ?? Me take outdoors photos at gardens and sea side park..... so sometimes got refection from pond and sea.......

Question -

1 - is getting a Polarizing Filter useful for every day use ?
    2 - I heard that Polarizing Filter can't be used indoors.... is it true ?
    3 - Anyone use a Polarizing Filter with Macro lense ?
    4 - Any known problem when using Polarizing Filter ?

Thxs for any info......

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    How bout Polarizing Filter..... are they really useful ?? Me take outdoors photos at gardens and sea side park..... so sometimes got refection from pond and sea.......

Question -

1 - is getting a Polarizing Filter useful for every day use ?
    2 - I heard that Polarizing Filter can't be used indoors.... is it true ?
    3 - Anyone use a Polarizing Filter with Macro lense ?
    4 - Any known problem when using Polarizing Filter ?

Thxs for any info......
    Makes a lot of difference on very bright days were colours would be otherwised washed-out. Important also if you are shooting a lot of sky and sea. Makes the blues a lot nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by posez View Post
    Makes a lot of difference on very bright days were colours would be otherwised washed-out. Important also if you are shooting a lot of sky and sea. Makes the blues a lot nicer.
    Thxs.... was think about getting one. The shop quote me $38. is that ok. Also said that i could add the Polarizing filter onto my U/V (protection) filter..... will doing so affect the pic ?? I mean 2 filter (Polarizing+U/V) infornt of the lense.......

I put filters on my lenses so that it makes my lenses look more expensive. All HOYA Pro 1 SHMC or equivalent.

Yes, I am that shallow.

Would it degrade IQ to a perceptible degree? Personally, I don't think so.

Just to OT a bit. Though i find the Hoya HMC, SHMC gd, but it's a bit hard to clean as compared to B+W.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Just to OT a bit. Though i find the Hoya HMC, SHMC gd, but it's a bit hard to clean as compared to B+W.
    This, I have to agree. Not tried the B+Ws personally, but when you get fingermarks on the Hoyas, quite difficult to get out unless you use something like a (new) Lenspen. With normal cleaning cloths/cleaning tissues and even cleaning fluid, it tends to make a mess on the filter surface.

And to OT summore, when I went to Japan (Osaka), I couldn't find Hoya filters anywhere! Wonder why, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    This, I have to agree. Not tried the B+Ws personally, but when you get fingermarks on the Hoyas, quite difficult to get out unless you use something like a (new) Lenspen. With normal cleaning cloths/cleaning tissues and even cleaning fluid, it tends to make a mess on the filter surface.

And to OT summore, when I went to Japan (Osaka), I couldn't find Hoya filters anywhere! Wonder why, eh?
    Cos now i'm using B+W and i find that marks are very easy to clean off and won't leave any residual stains even without any cleaning solutions. Also when slight sprays of water get on it, it will 'evaporate' itself without leaving markings too, unlike Hoya ones.

I've not been to Japan though, but still widely available here in SG.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a filter for my lens (18-55 provided with the EOS 350D). Since im totally new to filters i dont know which one to buy ND,UV etc etc and the diameter as well. I normally take landscapes and night shots. any links,comments would be much appreciated.

thanks

filter is a must! imagine u accidentally scratch the coating on ur lens... ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by aruns View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning to buy a filter for my lens (18-55 provided with the EOS 350D). Since im totally new to filters i dont know which one to buy ND,UV etc etc and the diameter as well. I normally take landscapes and night shots. any links,comments would be much appreciated.

thanks
    UV is the recommended one. The filter size on the kit lens is 58mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Werty View Post
    filter is a must! imagine u accidentally scratch the coating on ur lens... ouch!
    Not only the coating, but the lens element itself and imagine your lens is the high-end one.

for this lens. which size filter should it be, if i want to get the B+W one?

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp

Quote Originally Posted by piccola View Post
    for this lens. which size filter should it be, if i want to get the B+W one?

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp
    It's stated there mah, 55mm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123