Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 86

Thread: Recommendation for DSLR

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,191

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Yah...i got big hands too...haha...u said it. Small cams...kind of hard to handle. I used to handle F90x with motordrive, and i find that comfy. Yah, 5D and 200D sounds way above my budget. :P

    I remember once i borrowed a 350D or something, a Canon...spent a few hours looking for the controls to change aperture settings, checked online, to discover they had a design fault, so the user had to press another button and scroll the dial to change aperture. Sigh...terror lah that one.

    If I am correct, 400D is still like that.

    Basically both cameras has pros and cons. With your budget, it should fit in the camera and the lens. I have both brands D70s and 30D. My opinion is that if you prefer non flash photography, then 30D as Canon control noise very well. If u are a sharp and colour freak, then Nikon system. Get the D80 cause they support both EFs and D lens. D40 does not support D lens.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Allo all proflashionials...i need some recommendations/suggestions/advice
    for getting a DSLR.

    Friend A recommended getting a Nikon D40x or a D80

    Friend B recommends getting Canon cameras instead, saying focusing is better and faster, although Nikon maybe more sturdy and durable. Was eyeing the 30D, but it seems really expensive, heard 20D and 10D not that good.


    Nikon seem to have only 3 models of flashes on sale, the camera shop dudes told
    me last time those SB-something-something no longer in production.
    And im not very familiar with Canon cameras. I need some information/advice

    Requirement? My budget for a DSLR + kit lens , around $2k. (hopefully not more than 2.5k)
    Used for outdoor urban exploration photography (will use both wide and zoom), travel photos, indoor work events, maybe some friends or relatives weddings if im paid the non-spoil market rate. Kaka



    Thank you you!
    Thought u already have one?

    Anyway, ur cam is only as good as urself.

    Since its going to be a GP camera, consider these 3 in the following order:
    - Sony Alpha A100 (I'm saying this as the AS would come in extremely useful) and get the Carl Zeiss 16-80 as an 1-off investment for its all round focal length.
    - Nikon D40x (for its excellent flash system). 18-55 lens provided is a little restrictive IMO. Get the 18-135 or 18-70mm
    - Canon 400D (for the wide range of lenses available). The 18-55 IMO is also a little restrictive, the EFS 17-85IS would be a good all rounder.

    We always hear things... Friends say, Friends say. IMO, nothing beats going down to the shop and trying it yourself and choosing whichever u feel is right. After all, YOU are using YOUR CAMERA. Not others. Ur camera is only as good as urself and how u see things.

    A crap shooter holding a Hassy H3D+39 would only be able to produce mediocre works whilst an excellent photographer with eye for details can be holding a "Not so good" EOS 10D and would be able to churn shots out that would put others to shame.

    IMO, go try out the cams urself. Rent them here, go down to the shop have a look. IMO, focusing speed, MP technologies are so saturated these days there isn't really serious glaring differences between all 3 major manufacturers.

    Get a camera that fits u, not make urself think what ppl wants u to think.

    All the best.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    May i suggest that you try a quick search in the "General, Reviews, Tech Talk" section instead of kopitiam? I'm not trying to be rude, but this exact question pops up at least once a week, and there's lots of good advice on the existing threads there.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluestrike View Post
    and Friend C recommand you sticking to what you have~

    hehehhehhehee.......

    The technical aspect of both camp are similiar to each other in their respective classes. End of the day, which one feel more comfortable in ur hand? That the one you'll get.

    *oh come on, u've been thru this before... long long time ago... do we have to go thru this again~?..........:P*
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Thought u already have one?


    Fren C? u? hehe lol (u recommend to me in pm lor...haaa)
    Blue, u know me best lah...so long liao. haaa

    Erm we have? That was so so long ago....digital just made the scene only, and i was a film user. hahaha. And all i got was an FE-10...it died a few years back, without a stable camera for the past few years, i think it's time to settle down...so i thought why not the DSLR...since i been resisting to get it for a few years liao

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinano99 View Post
    always go wif your feelings...muz got the feel of the force of the camera you are holding... so far now only D80 & A100 gimme the force i felt...
    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Alamak dude, be your own person. Go and try all brands and see the one you really like.

    And not what your friends like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Well, everyone has their own likings and there is no perfect camera. Consider what you want to shoot and the prices of the lenses. You will unlikely be sticking to your kit lens only. Get a feel of the different cameras and follow your heart to see which camera you like and you feel most comfortable in. Besides C & N, there are also other fantastic brands out there. Pentax, Sony, Olympus and Sigma also produce very good cameras. Best of all, Sony & Pentax have build in "Anti-Shake" in the camera body instead of the lenses. Go try them out before deciding.


    Erm...the shop staff not too keen to let me hold their cams....maybe i look like a clumsy newbie. Hahhaa. Actually more pressured once you touch touch other people's products...just like those chinatown shops in KL...touch liao dun buy...kena curse/profanities. lol

    Actually im pretty fine with kit lens... its more of what the person using it then the equipment, yes could be sharper, faster, vivid, etc....but i don't think i wanna shoot crap photos that look sharper and vivid. Kakakaka

    Not too comfortable with other brands, so i kind of leave them out of my buying options, compatibility problems (got habit of borrowing or lending frens lens in urgency, like those lens which i seldom use. (eg.500mm mirror lens) So kind of stuck when everyone else is using C or N, when their lens cant fit the P or O. Boils down to practicality (spelling?) i guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Anyone who posts request for recommendations for DSLR in a photo forum will end up feeling more befuddled, confused, uncertain, unhappy, unfulfilled, foolish, hopeless and suicidal than he is before asking.

    Sun Tzu the great camera critic had said many times before:

    "If you don't know what you need
    You shouldn't buy a camera.
    If you don't know what you want
    You shouldn't come to Geylang."

    Hope this helps.
    Haha...nah i dun feel that way...i welcome inputs. And i dun erm...patronize the joints in Geylang...only take photos there. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    Get the D80 cause they support both EFs and D lens. D40 does not support D lens.
    Sorry, dun mind me asking, wat's exactly EF , D, EF-S and L lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    May i suggest that you try a quick search in the "General, Reviews, Tech Talk" section instead of kopitiam? I'm not trying to be rude, but this exact question pops up at least once a week, and there's lots of good advice on the existing threads there.
    Actually that's what i wanna avoid...i looking down to earth honest views. I don't wanna be overwhelmed by minute techy details. I know people will try avoiding being too techy, but once the flow goes, enthuasism takes over, i will get lost. Haaa


    Erm...i need to list down the cams. :P
    Last edited by sbs99; 26th April 2007 at 10:11 AM.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    I'd get the Nikon D80 and a 18-200 VR lens if I were you. The total cost shoudn't be over 2.5k if buy second hand. It's a great combo for travel and casual shooting. I saw some use this combo shooting weddings too.

    Pity I'm stuck w/ Pentax right now, otherwise I'd get this combo myself

    The Nikon D40 plus a 18-135 kit is very nice too. Don't need to worry about the lens compatibility issue, there are plenty of D (digital only) lenses for you to choose.

    For Canon, they are either very good but expensive, or cheaply made (to me at least) but okay.

    Don't even think about Nikon D200 or Canon 5D. They are well above your budget. Even a Canon 30D plus a good zoom lens would be above your budget too.

    Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
    Last edited by fengwei; 26th April 2007 at 10:17 AM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Since its going to be a GP camera, consider these 3 in the following order:
    - Sony Alpha A100 (I'm saying this as the AS would come in extremely useful) and get the Carl Zeiss 16-80 as an 1-off investment for its all round focal length.
    - Nikon D40x (for its excellent flash system). 18-55 lens provided is a little restrictive IMO. Get the 18-135 or 18-70mm
    - Canon 400D (for the wide range of lenses available). The 18-55 IMO is also a little restrictive, the EFS 17-85IS would be a good all rounder.
    I would urge you to compare using D80 instead of D40x as D40x is not in the same league as the other 2 cameras.

    Anyway, D80 is well within your budget with the kit lens.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  7. #27

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    I would urge you to compare using D80 instead of D40x as D40x is not in the same league as the other 2 cameras.

    Anyway, D80 is well within your budget with the kit lens.
    Not in the same league, meaning they are entry level? Im kind of cautious about the infamous "entry-level trap"...

    Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    I'd get the Nikon D80 and a 18-200 VR lens if I were you. The total cost shoudn't be over 2.5k if buy second hand. It's a great combo for travel and casual shooting. I saw some use this combo shooting weddings too.
    I doubt i will get 2nd hand though... around 2.5, add another external flash, would that be around 3k? VR = variable? ranged?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    I remember once i borrowed a 350D or something, a Canon...spent a few hours looking for the controls to change aperture settings, checked online, to discover they had a design fault, so the user had to press another button and scroll the dial to change aperture.
    you either view it as a flaw or as a safety mechanism to prevent accidental changing of settings.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  9. #29

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    you either view it as a flaw or as a safety mechanism to prevent accidental changing of settings.
    i see it as a flaw! lol...slows down my reaction time to fast stuff. Can say im quite used to fully manual or semi-auto, where i can adjust shuttle speed and aperture on the fly.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    then the Canon professional 1-series got a VERY VERY BIG FLAW...

    It's just a matter of being familiar and well versed with your tools.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  11. #31

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    Not in the same league, meaning they are entry level? Im kind of cautious about the infamous "entry-level trap"...
    You can only use the more expensive AF-S or AF-I lenses on the D40X. Also, the camera feels really cheap, like a toy.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Ok i admit defeat when it comes to short form technical terms...
    lol got a list?

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    in short, if you buy the D40, you are very limited to the types of lenses available to you.
    My interpretation, don't get the D40.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  14. #34
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    418

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Review of lenses. Nikon lenses (higher end) are sharper and Canon lenses are faster bcos most of them have USM.

    http://www.photozone.de/
    Last edited by Wisdomworld; 26th April 2007 at 11:06 AM.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    in short, if you buy the D40, you are very limited to the types of lenses available to you.
    My interpretation, don't get the D40.
    yeah that's something my photographer colleague told me this morning.

    (although he's using d40 now, and he says it's good, National Geographic also use. lol )

  16. #36

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomworld View Post
    Review of lenses. Nikon lenses (higher end) are sharper and Canon lenses are faster bcos most of them have USM.

    http://www.photozone.de/
    wow...list of cams at a glance. nice

    http://www.photozone.de/active/feature/dslrs.jsp

    the prices are accurate? the D80 price seems to way off the one quoted by the camera shop dude. :P
    Last edited by sbs99; 26th April 2007 at 11:11 AM.

  17. #37
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    418

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Save $ on body but the lenses gonna cost you a lot more!

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    in short, if you buy the D40, you are very limited to the types of lenses available to you.
    My interpretation, don't get the D40.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomworld View Post
    Save $ on body but the lenses gonna cost you a lot more!
    actually it's always been this way...same goes for film type. keke

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomworld View Post
    Review of lenses. Nikon lenses (higher end) are sharper and Canon lenses are faster bcos most of them have USM.

    http://www.photozone.de/
    yups.. and nikon is playing catch up by slowing introducing and shifting away from the older "motor in body " lenses and migrating to "motor in lens" like Canon. D40 is just the start.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    yeah that's something my photographer colleague told me this morning.

    (although he's using d40 now, and he says it's good, National Geographic also use. lol )
    mike yama uses Canon so Nat Geo uses Canon
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 26th April 2007 at 11:18 AM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •